Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

IF YOU’RE GOING to tutor kids at the Columbia County Library, then do it in the upper area for kids, especially if you’re going to have your baby kids with you. Loud and rude!

THE FOCUS FOR some time now has been on the Trayvon Martin tragedy, but let’s not forget the tragedy that occurred right here in Georgia back in March when police say a 13-month-old white sleeping toddler, Antonio Santiago, was deliberately fatally shot in the face by two black teens. I can’t remember President Obama calling the mother to console her. Let’s pray for Antonio, who is now in a better place.

THIS RACIST STUFF about George Zimmer­man is ridiculous. What about the poor white child in Brunswick, Ga.? Police said a young toddler in the stroller shot by two black kids. Where is Al Sharpton? Where are all the rest of the people crying about it?

RANT FOR AMERICANS. They could have gotten a conviction in the George Zimmerman trial if all the eyewitnesses from Augusta and all the other places around the country had showed up to testify.

RANT TO PRESIDENT Obama for trying to divide the USA racially; he has help from Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, who both thrive on racial turmoil.

ZIMMERMAN WAS found not guilty by six of his peers. The case was televised. How could there be any doubt of George Zimmerman’s innocence? The state had no case. Now the feds are looking for anything to prosecute Zimmerman. Where were Eric Holder and Obama when the Black Panthers disrupted voting in Obama’s presidential election? They pick and choose their fights.

ON THE DAY that the city of Detroit declares bankruptcy, President Obama makes a rare statement to the press … about Trayvon Martin.

I DON’T MEAN to sound rude, but the woman who died at Six Flags was too big to ride the ride. They should have told her she couldn’t ride, but she knew she shouldn’t have been on it anyway.

RANT FOR ALL THE local leaders for not having a rally for the local people that have to put up with all these thugs caught on video shooting and fighting. There are people that know who these thugs are and for whatever reason choose to protect them. I hope one day the one you are protecting does not kill one of your loved ones. Let’s get these thugs off our streets and in jail.

dichotomy
dichotomy 08/02/13 - 09:35 am
"The Great First Friday

"The Great First Friday Shootout Anniversary passed last month."

There's always a chance for a re-run tonight.....might get rained out though.

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/02/13 - 10:05 am
Early bird specials

Seenit, do you get an early bird discount by eating so early? Remember the Seinfeld episode with his parents in Florida?

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/02/13 - 10:10 am
Shoot out

I happened down to Luigi's that night. Can't get of my friends downtown anymore.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/02/13 - 10:16 am
haha jtf

Yes we do senior discounts at many places...sometimes when I don't even ask for it..:(

Kroger & the Nail Salon have discounts on Wednesday...one day JTF you will enjoy the discount too.

Now I have to wander out in the beeg world....call & complain to credit card folks for charging me a dang late fee......this new mail person must be putting my mail in the wrong box at times...seeyall

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/02/13 - 10:24 am
OOh that is funny JTF!!!

seenit is right

The Republicans need to put up a pro wealth distribution, tax the greedy successful folk to oblivion, abortion on demand, anti gun, down with corporations type candidate. Hating what America stands for wouldn't hurt either.

Laugh if you please....she will get it if the Reps don't get some OUTSTANDING Rep to run....

btw...this am I saw that Colin Powell had his email hacked & they found some "interesting" emails to a certain lady.....intimate type mails....gossip say a romantic affair...but hey...what do they know!

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/02/13 - 10:26 am
Hillary

I don't see Hill giving up any of her money....

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 08/02/13 - 10:30 am
@ Young Fred

"Well folks, not trying to rub it in (yes I am), but I’m off to Montana’s Glacier National Park,"

Was there 4th of July week. Stayed on Whitefish Lake. If my roots weren't so deep here with family, I would move there in a skinny minute.
Without a doubt, some of the most gorgeous country on earth.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/02/13 - 10:34 am
Money people in Johns Creek :)

Interior designer Nate Berkus has been adding fantasy to homes for 16 years, inspiring people with just the right creative touch. But he's been a dog-lover even longer, and he's turning his design expertise to a half-million-dollar fantasy dog park.

Berkus, 41, has joined the creative team for the 2014 Beneful Dream Dog Park Contest. Contestants have to answer one question: "If you had $500,000 to create a Dream Dog Park where you and your best buddy can play together, what would you do?"

In Lancaster, Pa., the answer included a doggy amusement park with a tennis ball tree and a 40-foot roller coaster bridge. The park there — the third contest winner — opens Aug. 6.

The first park was built in Johns Creek, Ga., with a family destination theme and includes a bone-shaped bridge, two splash pads, tunnels, rubberized mulch paths and shade trees. The second park in Alabaster, Ala., has synthetic turf, agility rings, a walking trail, a fetch football field, fire hydrant goalposts and a mulch adventure path with tunnels, said Brent Gleckler, brand director for Beneful dog food.

"There is nothing I love more than being with my dog," Berkus said of sidekick Tucker, a black mutt. Together, they visit a dog park nearly every night.

The parks in Alabaster and Johns Creek have been tourist magnets. In Georgia, the city had to make 72 new parking spaces next to the park to accommodate visitors.

In Alabama, people take good care of the park, but the city does a walkthrough once a day, sprays it down twice a week and uses a biodegradable chemical once a month, city parks director Tim Hamm said.

The dog park is part the city's flagship Veteran's Park, with a ball field complex, 2.5-mile walking trail, eight pavilions with picnic tables, two playgrounds, a skateboard park and veteran's memorial, Hamm said.

Every day, they get calls from tourists asking about the park...

gotta go now

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/02/13 - 10:48 am
Elected officials are feeling the bite of crime

Please read this.....they are waking up because it is happening to them...

Fulton County Commission Chairman John Henry Eaves posted a sobering note on Facebook tonight that I wanted to share.

I began my day with joy as I dropped off my son on his first day as a freshman at Morehouse College. I have ended my day bewildered as I just learned my son was robbed at gunpoint on the periphery of the Morehouse campus this evening by two thugs who stole his cell phone. Thank God my son, though shaken, is alive and suffered no physical harm.

Right now I am experiencing a wide range of emotions...I am relieved and thankful that my first born is still with me, but I am also angry, pi**ed, and concerned. I am not very optimistic about the future of our community, especially when you look at the status of African-American males. Too many African-American boys have access to guns, too many of them drop out of high school, too many of them are in prison, and too many of them place little value on the lives of others.

I hope we will begin to change the dialogue of what OTHERS are doing to us and our communities, but we must focus on what WE can do to change the pathological self-destructive behavior that is occurring within OUR own communities.

Hank AAron home was a target & now this....WAKE UP FOLKS..

GAXXII
GAXXII 08/02/13 - 10:55 am
Toddler Shot In the Face

Two teens arrested! Sure to be convicted! There is no comparison. I don't think people of any race support these two idiots.

OJ find innocent (he was definitely guilty) Civil suit to follow.

Stop harping about things that can not be compared.

Sharpton and Jackson are not Messiahs for the Black race. At least I don't know any Blacks that appointed them. But comments on he keep them in the limelight.

daphne3520
daphne3520 08/02/13 - 10:59 am
Enough, Already!!!! Of Zimmerman and related racist psychobabble

Heh! Again NO TEXT, Subject line says it all!

dichotomy
dichotomy 08/02/13 - 11:07 am
I see countyman dutifully

I see countyman dutifully listed all of the good things happening in RC. He failed to mention halfway houses, cheap apartments, and HUD developments. C'mon countyman.....give the Southeast Side it's due. Oh wait.....I forgot the B-ball courts at Diamond Lakes. Oooohweeee.

That's the downtown mentality towards the South Side. Put all of the Section 8ers in one place, give 'em welfare and food stamps and a few B-ball courts and that will keep them pacified. Got to move 'em somewhere to make room for the "RIGHT KIND" of people. You know...the tourists...the artists....the gays.... and, of course, the county residents with lots of disposable income. After all, if you want to "redevelop" an area you have to move the ghetto. Can't use federal money to move them out of the county. Southeast Richmond County.....TAG...YOU'RE IT. Haven't seen Planning and Zoning this effective at concentrating the undesirables since Warsaw, Poland in '39. Similar objective, just a "kinder, gentler" approach.

zeenab4u
zeenab4u 08/02/13 - 11:28 am
Morning all it's a great day

I have to wonder if the universe is playing a dirty joke on the CSRA with all the good news that has come to us this past week. Whether it is a small business or a huge plant, it seems that we are lapping it up here. Wonder what news will break next week, has to be some because it has all been good one after another. While I'm here, I do have 1 rant. Sometimes I look at the bookings and am amazed at the number of folks that are smiling. Most of them are young people. They look like they are proud of it. I just don't understand why anyone would smile for a mug shot. Have they no shame.
For CG - Don't know you but I thought of you often the other day, when you visited your son, said a little prayer.

countyman
countyman 08/02/13 - 11:58 am
Facts

Seenitb4.. I seriously doubt Columbia County will be attracting a enclosed mall anytime soon. The population is still lower than 140k people, and they would need a couple more thousand first. They might be able to open a lifestyle center, or maybe a outlet mall in the next few years.. The lifestyle center in CC wouldn't hurt Richmond County, because Augusta is a regional shopping destination. The opening of Mullins Crossing in Evans didn't cause the Augusta Exchange in West Augusta to suffer. The new Genghis Grill opening in the Augusta Exchange is their first location outside of metro Atlanta.

GnipGnop.. The US census includes the Augusta/RC GA-SC MSA in the metros listed under both Georgia and South Carolina. They include Augusta for South Carolina, because Aiken & Edgefield counties help make up the Augusta MSA.

Dichtomy.... I believe the new basketball courts are multi-purpose, and can be used for other sports... The city is also building a new camp ground site at Diamond Lakes.

The city is creating the Butler Creek Greenway in South Augusta. The Lombard Mill Pond, Lombard Mill Trail, Phinizy Swamp, Fort Gordon, and the Bulter Creek Trailhead Park will all connect to each other.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/02/13 - 12:22 pm
My facts countyman

Glad I cked back in..:)

This is what I'm talking about ctyman....Snellville Ga is smaller than Evans/Martinez & this is what they have---open air shoppes & they are fantastix...

Great selection of stores---upscale---book stores--nice restaurants--it is all in what the commish & the people want......if the desire is there it will happen...you can't wish progress away from others....business will look at the ENTIRE area.... evidently they already see potential in Mtz/Evans with the new projects coming in....if I were a businessman & wanted the best location it would be near Appling Ga.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/02/13 - 12:24 pm
Thanks

zeenab4u

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/02/13 - 12:24 pm
About that greenway in Augusta

You need to think of dedicated policemen for that...just like the beltway did in Atlanta...they have constant patrol on horse/bike now..it was needed.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/02/13 - 12:26 pm
cgee

I think zeenab4u likes us :):) & I like her back!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/02/13 - 12:38 pm
Just Have To Share,

A very close friend of her Grandfather "Paul". Just think she isn't 18 yet. She is defending her championship title this weekend.
Hope to get her to come with Paul the next time he visits Cobalt Park.

countyman
countyman 08/02/13 - 12:41 pm
Shopping

Seenitb4.... Arbitrary city limits don't really mean anything. Snellville is located in Gwinnett County..

The population of Gwinnett is slightly over 800,000 and this is larger compared to metro Augusta(575K), and the CSRA(slightly over 700K).

My first comment acknowledge the possibility of a lifestyle center, but you said a new mall at first.

Augustaisdying
Augustaisdying 08/02/13 - 12:44 pm
Riverman

Good suggestion regarding more school/Kroc center partnership. However, that would be stepping on the toes of the Boy's and Girls Club, who has a lock on that partnership, even though they do precious little to affect any real change.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/02/13 - 12:53 pm
Visit Her Web Site

to see how she looks like as a Blonde.

Maybe we could get her to run for sheriff in Richmond County.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/02/13 - 12:55 pm
Arbitrary city limits don't really mean anything

^^ ctyman I'm surprised to hear you say that...you always talk about the CBD....that is a district of sorts....I said mall---open air malls are popular with folks...we have a few in this area....btw ..Gwinnett is a huge county in land area...the csra is also...I would say 700,000 in the csra is a pretty heffty # of shoppers..
Now don't talk about me while I'm gone..I have to leave again..:):)

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/02/13 - 12:57 pm
Oh Lordy

I hope Cgee is not getting a fixation on blondes..dang..that leaves me out....bye bye cgee

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/02/13 - 01:00 pm
No Sweat B4

I'm more turned on by my friends Grandgirl's shooting than her hair color.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/02/13 - 01:32 pm
The Water Bottles At Commission Meetings

Oh, I imagine the water bottles at Commission meetings (and I’ll bet I’m dead on) were the idea of Deke. It’s a kind of a European economic conference, Speedo wearing motif where they have those water bottles in front of them. I find Fred, always hanging on to his job by a thread, walking around passing them out hilarious.

When Willie Mays was the Mayor they had full course meals and the meetings went on for long enough for two commissioners to have their cars repossessed. The commissioners would go to the back room and come out with plates of fried chicken, macaroni, greens, rice and gravy to watch more home movies of their trip to Hawaii.

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/02/13 - 04:29 pm
Ok here is a tax I can get behind

75% on Hollywood Actors, Producers and elected officials making $10M or more.

To be fair because of the all the off shore accounts,the 75% does not kick in until after deducting any taxes paid to other countries or states.
Planned Rebates & Deliberate over payments for a refund, are to be treated as Felony Fraud.

Its the same tax idea many Liberals openly and verbally proposed against USA CEO, CFO's CIO's IPO's and etc... So they must already agree with it, right?

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 08/02/13 - 07:31 pm
Friends and Foes

Recently I went across the southern states. Today I picked up a friend from the airport in Augusta - never have I seen an interstate highway that was in that bad of shape.

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/02/13 - 07:35 pm
Lilly

You must have skipped Birmingham.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/02/13 - 08:35 pm
Whoa

You should try the interstate from Little Rock to Memphis — treacherous!