Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

BIG RAVE FOR PHIL Mickelson’s winning The Open. But a big rant for the British taking the pleasure out of golf by boogering up their courses. Who ever heard of 2-foot-tall grass around the greens, not to mention their awful pot bunkers?

I WOULD LIKE to remind Eric Holder that the “stand your ground” law was not used as a defense in the George Zimmerman trial so don’t try to mix things up and confuse people.

I TOTALLY AGREE with Fire Chief Chris James’ termination of Adam Krebs. Krebs violated one of the policies written in the Personnel Policies and Procedures Manual by faking sickness and working a second job. The city personnel board now has done an injustice by overturning his termination. Maybe Krebs’ attorney, Ed Enoch, swayed the board?

THEY HAD BETTER boot George Zimmerman from neighborhood watch anywhere he lives, and he’d better not be permitted any job with a gun. He already ignores the police and lied, with his wife, to the police.

HOW COME government agencies, and that includes Fort Gordon, make the sequestration a painful experience for the general public. I appreciate the fact that they have to furlough some people but they need to work around things to minimize impacts. It seems that they go out of their way to cause maximum disruption.

THE ‘NEWS’ ON TV should go back to the early 1960s. Fifteen minutes a night. Anything else is overkill.

GEORGE ZIMMERMAN had the right to carry a gun, and to be where he was. Trayvon Martin’s presence was questionable, hence the reason he was being observed. Martin had no right to attack Zimmerman physically. He made a poor choice, by attacking a citizen carrying a gun legally, and he paid with his life. Color never mattered. End of story

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/31/13 - 11:07 am
When Jagger Hits 80

When Mick Jagger hits 80 maybe we can get him to perform in Augusta. It takes us awhile until they start to wind down.

daphne3520
daphne3520 07/31/13 - 11:08 am
LAST comment....

Zimmerman is clearly heard on the 911 recording of being admonished by the operator, "we don't need you to follow him," and Zimmerman's response "OK!" THAT is the "end of story."

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/31/13 - 11:15 am
Power of the Pen (keyboard)

The rant said: “IF YOU SPEND MOST of your time of social networking sites such as Facebook complaining about what is wrong with your city instead of getting out and doing something constructive to make a difference, then you are part of the problem.”

I find that people who say such things usually have certain motives. They are often officials taking the brunt of the criticism and don’t like it. In other cases they don’t write well and realize people who do have an advantage on them. Some media people don't like sharing the public access. Lastly, they truly don’t recognize the power of the pen that can start and end wars.

corgimom
corgimom 07/31/13 - 12:05 pm
Drug and alcohol abuse have

Drug and alcohol abuse have been a major problem for the Army for over 100 years. CG can be offended all he wants, but it's true.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/31/13 - 12:43 pm
Drug testing ended those

Drug testing ended those problems in the Army from what I saw. A subject opinion is alcohol use has decreased too...not that I can prove it.

bigclaude
bigclaude 07/31/13 - 12:45 pm
Think about it

ALPHARETTA, Ga. - An Alpharetta jewelry store owner and his son helped thwart an attempted heist on Tuesday.

=============================================
Seenit, nothing against you or the people in your story, but is this really a good idea? Is it worth risking your life for some merchandise that is easily replaceable?

Before you answer that question, let us remember our native son Vernon Forrest. He was killed in your fair city because he tried to chase after someone who had just robbed him. I say just let the burgular have the stuff. It isn't worth dying for!!!

Sweet son
Sweet son 07/31/13 - 01:06 pm
Seenit and I would like to be with nocnoc!

Looking for houses in NGA or WNC or if nothing else just riding in the mountains!

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/31/13 - 01:14 pm
bigclaude

I understand your point of view...look at this from their point...they have had many breakins--robberies & etc...there comes a time when your business fails---you lose your home--& everything you own because of some thug....your insurance triples & soon you can't afford to work anymore....sooo I say do what you have to do....this is rampant now & it only seems to get worse....I feel sorry for a business owner...

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/31/13 - 01:17 pm
Walton county

I think nocnoc has eyes for Walton county & I can't blame him....slow country lifestyle....easy distance to stores & big malls...best of both worlds.♥

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/31/13 - 01:19 pm
Rahm has to blame something..

Emanuel Clings To Gun Control Solution Despite The Evidence

By Bob Lesmeister / 31 July 2013 / 3 comments

Almost immediately after anti-gun Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel declared that the city’s “weak link” in public safety is not enough gun control, the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms accused him of clinging to “the stale and ineffective strategies of the gun prohibition lobby.”

Chicago’s handgun ban saw violent crime go up, and in 2010, that law was nullified when the US Supreme Court, in McDonald v. City of Chicago, extended Second Amendment protections to the states through 14th Amendment incorporation. That case was brought by CCRKBA’s sister organization, the Second Amendment Foundation.

The flap began when Emanuel told reporters that his answer to the city’s current bloodbath is to ban so-called assault weapons, which do not appear to be involved in many, if any, of the recent shootings and homicides.

He also asserted that “comprehensive background checks” would prevent violence, a notion that CCRKBA said in a press release is “so demonstrably untrue that it amounts to perpetuation of an urban myth.”

“If the city could round up every one of these shooters,” CCRKBA Chairman Alan Gottlieb said, “they would find that none of them acquired their guns through legal channels, and thus were never subject to a background check, and Emanuel knows it. For him to suggest, much less believe, that his city’s crime problem would disappear by banning guns and expanding checks on law abiding citizens is at best delusional.”

Incredibly, one proposal put forth by Emanuel, the former White House chief of staff to President Barack Obama, was to lock up criminals who commit crimes with firearms for a minimum of three years, and require that they serve at least 85% of their sentences.

That idea, Gottlieb said, is strikingly reminiscent of a plan championed by CCRKBA and other organizations nearly 20 years ago called “Hard Time for Armed Crime.” “That’s a strategy that was developed by the firearms community,” Gottlieb observed. “If (Mayor Emanuel) is going to steal our idea, he ought to at least give us credit.”

Gottlieb asserted that the Chicago mayor knows that his city’s problems “are with gangs, not guns.” He said the criminal element would continue ignoring Chicago gun regulations, same as they have in the past.

“We’re pretty sure Mayor Emanuel is trying to lay political groundwork to blame the state’s new concealed carry law, brought about by a successful gun rights lawsuit in federal court, if Chicago’s bloodbath continues,” Gottlieb contended. “He seems more interested in perpetuating the crime problem than eliminating it. Banning guns and blocking citizens from exercising their self-defense rights doesn’t work, it hasn’t worked and it’s a loser in court. Rahm should think out of the box or get out of town.”

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/31/13 - 01:20 pm
Too bad he can't see this

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 07/31/13 - 01:22 pm
Thieves

I'll just say this! If someone wants my property bad enough to try to take it, I hope they understand the consequences of a .357 magnum, a .30-30 rifle and a 12 ga. 3 inch magnum buckshot from the business end. Georgia has a castle doctrine and if you enter upon my property without my express permission you will leave in a coroners van or hearse. I'm not going to give it up, I will go to trial and win and then if the family wishes to pursue it I plan to sue the parents of said deceased for not properly raising their child to know right from wrong.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 07/31/13 - 01:27 pm
Chain Gangs

That is the only gang we should tolerate. Simple math, commit a crime with a firearm and you get a mandatory 20 years on the chain gang. If there is serious injury you serve life. If it involves a death then you die! History, childhood, all that, does not excuse a person from knowing right from wrong.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/31/13 - 01:28 pm
Another point

If we all gave up & said.... here it is just take it...believe me you wouldn't have a dang thing left...we don't have a government willing to slap down hard on crime...just look at the case in Florida....that tells the story of the whole USA....T M had a history of violence but did you see that in the dang news...nahhh...his girlfriend had a restraining order on him... the AJC investigated the facts.

happychimer
happychimer 07/31/13 - 01:30 pm
the story about the KFC

the story about the KFC bucket left in the GA woman's yard was on Anderson Cooper last night. The bucket is unique because it has Kentucky Fried Chicken on it instead of KFC.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/31/13 - 01:32 pm
KFC bucket

I bet coldbeer put it on that womans yard..:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/31/13 - 01:44 pm
Excuse me guys

I have to get my blueberry cream cheese loaf out & frost the thing...aahhh omg it is good...yummy...yall can lick the bowl!

seeya

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/31/13 - 01:48 pm
Wasn't gonna post to day but just got this in:

PUBLIC HEARING

A public hearing will be held on Monday, August 5, 2013 at 3:30 P.M. or thereafter at the close of the regular meeting of the Augusta Georgia Planning Commission, in Room 803 of the Augusta Municipal Building, 530 Greene Street, Augusta, Georgia for the following:

A request by Hull Barrett P.C., on behalf of Bluff Plantation LLC, for the solicitation of comments regarding the establishment of a rehabilitation and treatment facility/halfway house for persons with dependency and addiction related problems per Section 35-10 of the Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance for Augusta Georgia and O.C.G.A. at 36-66-4(f) of the Georgia State Code on property located at 959 Bennock Mill Road and containing approximately 177 acres.

Countyman

Look at the great things we have coming to the South Side.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/31/13 - 01:59 pm
Yikes nocnoc

That is not far from Brown Rd & kinda close to Goshen....how lucky can the south side get..wow.

digmick
digmick 07/31/13 - 02:42 pm
Why Was Trayvon's Presence Questionable?

Because he was a black man in a white neighborhood?

digmick
digmick 07/31/13 - 02:46 pm
Sequestration hypocrisy

People who want budget cuts and smaller government and then complain that the consequences of their smaller government makes things inconvenient for them, are hypocrites at best.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/31/13 - 02:50 pm
CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/31/13 - 03:08 pm
CBBP

Thieves

You definitely have a SECOND on that.....I don't care if it is a 6 Penny nail that you are taking, You are DEAD!. Period

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/31/13 - 03:13 pm
corgimom corgimom

"Drug and alcohol abuse have been a major problem for the Army for over 100 years. , but it's true."

That is as bad as saying........

"Because he was a black man in a white neighborhood?"

I recommend you back off with your negativity about our military because it portrays just what type of person you really are.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 07/31/13 - 03:26 pm
On drinking in the military today

... I have to observe, given the number of my friends and former troops I'm still in contact with, it only surfaces as a problem for soldiers returning from their multiple tours in harm's way and not being given the counseling they need.

On a related note, today's USA Today's poll of the most respected professions puts the military at the top at 78%. Given the huge "Blame Amerika First" crowd, that's amazing.

(Journalists and child molesters round out the bottom... at least in my poll)

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 07/31/13 - 05:20 pm
Augh!

Noticed I got a Susan B. dollar in change as a quarter somewhere sometime in the past few days. When I emptied my pockets this afternoon it was gone; I must have passed it on as a quarter as well.