Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

BIG RAVE FOR PHIL Mickelson’s winning The Open. But a big rant for the British taking the pleasure out of golf by boogering up their courses. Who ever heard of 2-foot-tall grass around the greens, not to mention their awful pot bunkers?

I WOULD LIKE to remind Eric Holder that the “stand your ground” law was not used as a defense in the George Zimmerman trial so don’t try to mix things up and confuse people.

I TOTALLY AGREE with Fire Chief Chris James’ termination of Adam Krebs. Krebs violated one of the policies written in the Personnel Policies and Procedures Manual by faking sickness and working a second job. The city personnel board now has done an injustice by overturning his termination. Maybe Krebs’ attorney, Ed Enoch, swayed the board?

IF YOU SPEND MOST of your time of social networking sites such as Facebook complaining about what is wrong with your city instead of getting out and doing something constructive to make a difference, then you are part of the problem.

THEY HAD BETTER boot George Zimmerman from neighborhood watch anywhere he lives, and he’d better not be permitted any job with a gun. He already ignores the police and lied, with his wife, to the police.

HOW COME government agencies, and that includes Fort Gordon, make the sequestration a painful experience for the general public. I appreciate the fact that they have to furlough some people but they need to work around things to minimize impacts. It seems that they go out of their way to cause maximum disruption.

GEORGE ZIMMERMAN had the right to carry a gun, and to be where he was. Trayvon Martin’s presence was questionable, hence the reason he was being observed. Martin had no right to attack Zimmerman physically. He made a poor choice, by attacking a citizen carrying a gun legally, and he paid with his life. Color never mattered. End of story

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/30/13 - 04:34 pm
#2

While you are at it, please remind the two or three commenters who keep claiming it was in play.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/30/13 - 04:41 pm
#3. I agree with the Chief's

#3. I agree with the Chief's actions too.
#4. I don't know to whom you refer, but some I know have tried mightily to effect change in Augusta, but the status quo is firmly entrenched.
#5. Proof please. I could just as easily say you are the one lying, but I won't, because I don't offer proof.
#6. It is an intentional ploy to make you feel the pain and blame Republicans.
Last rant- true.

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/30/13 - 05:05 pm
No Rants or Raves today from me

I am taking the day off Wed., I am house hunting NNE GA. / WNC.

fedex227
fedex227 07/30/13 - 11:46 pm
"HOW COME Fort Gordon

makes the sequestration a painful experience for the general public. I appreciate the fact that they have to furlough some people but they need to work around things to minimize impacts."

Sure, they can pull more soldiers out of communications training, cyber operations, and general intel training to man the gates so you can make it to the class six store in time and not have to wait in a long line ... but perhaps a letter to your congressman/senator is more in order (instead of whining to the Chronicle). Priorities.

fedex227
fedex227 07/30/13 - 11:51 pm
itsanotherday1

Rant #6 - This is no joke - obviously you have not seen the kids manning the gates lately (I'm only speaking of gates 2 and 3 by the way), but I may be wrong.

countyman
countyman 07/31/13 - 12:39 am
National retailers love Augusta

Gander Mountain was one of the very first outdoor stores announced before the recession, and they haven't given up on coming here. What part of town do you think will attract the new store?

I just want to see REI build a new store at the Village at Riverwatch, but the Gander Mountain would be a solid addition to the area.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 07/31/13 - 03:50 am
I had a dream

"THE ‘NEWS’ ON TV should go back to the early 1960s. Fifteen minutes a night. Anything else is overkill."

Wouldn't that be fantastic! I can't watch the 24hr news stations without yawning!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/31/13 - 05:09 am
Good Morning "I'm Offended" America

It takes a heck of a lot to offend me, but when you imply fedex227, that our American soldiers are a bunch of drunkards and those "kids" in uniform that will, if have to, put there life on the line so you can make those un-American comments....you are offending me.......

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/31/13 - 05:35 am
Go back to 1960 heh

I would looovvee that!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/31/13 - 05:40 am

It would take only 15 minutes to inform you that our King SMNCICBHO(M), The Hammer & Sickle man "has" destroyed America.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/31/13 - 06:01 am
Honest people are fighting back

ALPHARETTA, Ga. - An Alpharetta jewelry store owner and his son helped thwart an attempted heist on Tuesday.

Alpharetta police say two men entered the Sabri Guven jewelry store, located in the 200 block of Old Milton Parkway, around 5 p.m. One of the men asked to see a diamond ring. After receiving the ring, both men fled.

The store's owner, Sabri Guven, and his son, Tony, took action and chased after the man.

The elder Guven says he suffered a slight injury to his head when he chased the robber and tackled him in the parking lot. His son says he helped his dad hold down the suspect, who was armed with a gun.

"We both laid on top of him. He fired one shot and we pushed the gun away," said Tony Guven.

The Guvens say they got the diamond ring back from the robber, but the suspect's accomplice got away.

Police are reviewing surveillance video to try to identify the remaining suspect.

"They have plenty of proof on you don't even try running or it will make it even worse," Tony Guven said.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/31/13 - 06:33 am
KFC SIGN

Btw the kfc sign placed in the yard of that Waynesboro lady made national news....now she will get free kfc ....would someone put that sign in my yard too..pllleezeee.

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 07/31/13 - 07:28 am
Not exactly on today's topics

... most of which have been flogged to death in recent days, but this caught my eye: A test for 8th grade students in 1912. Educated as I was at a church mission school, the format is very familiar as we had war surplus books --some from the Gallic Wars, I suspect-- entirely without colour or pictures, only packed with problems.

I will admit to trepidation even today on the math portion if denied my calculator, but did spot the misprint in the vocabulary section immediately.

Have a look: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2381482/Were-children-smarter-...

I still have my Introduction to Anglo-Saxon (though how I managed to hold on to that all these years is astounding) published in 1930; about the size of a tablet, 300 bible thin paper pages without a single illustration and covered with my margin notes. Compare that with today's coffee table sized textbooks whose written portion could be readily compressed to fit one, two pages, tops.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 07/31/13 - 07:33 am
Mick Jagger is 70

This would explain his new songs, Gimme Alka-Seltser and Hey You Get Off Of My Lawn!

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/31/13 - 07:53 am
That test was hard stewart haha

BTW..I would like to see the kids of today study from these books.....they may be smarter with computers but ood ole common sense has gone bye bye imho..

Mick Jagger might be 70 but he sho can move like a young guy...how does he do it!!@!

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/31/13 - 08:11 am
pearlthesquirrel
pearlthesquirrel 07/31/13 - 08:12 am
# 7 - the news....

I liked this rant better the first time I read it.....when it was in last weeks Metro Spirit. Scheeeeeesh! If you want to read really worthwhile "whines," just read what I put in the Metro Spirit virtually weekly.

Shortcomment
Shortcomment 07/31/13 - 08:17 am
diamond in the rough
diamond in the rough 07/31/13 - 08:45 am
I WON'T GO TO DOWNTOWN

Yet these same people that make that comment have no problem going to Orlando or Biloxi where the crime rate is 100% worse than it is in Augusta! Small town mentality?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/31/13 - 08:46 am
I wasn't joking FedEx

This administration was offered the option of making targeted furloughs to avoid the most pain, but in typical fashion, Obama decided politics trumped good policy. He wants the public to feel the pain so they can blame Republicans when the mid-term elections roll around. It is just that simple.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/31/13 - 08:54 am
Math Test

My memory could be faulty, but I believe we had covered all of those kinds of problems by the end of 8th grade. Of course, that was before the destruction and dumbing down of our schools.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/31/13 - 09:00 am
Sure Obama is sequester

Sure Obama is sequester targeting things that will make the public moan. MP's could have been put on the gate from the start as they are now.

justthefacts
justthefacts 07/31/13 - 09:01 am
Huh?

Who goes downtown in Orlando or Biloxi other than to work?

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 07/31/13 - 09:21 am
"... I see less military personnel drinking today

...than I did in 1960's, or 70's."

Way true. I remember my first unit day, Korea, 1965; they had a 1/4 ton trailer filled with canned beer and covered with ice and a tarpaulin the day before so the ice would melt down and cool the beer. This was paid for by morale funds, and the party was not declared over until the last beer was drunk. Most of the noncoms drank the hard stuff and used the beer as chasers. This was for an infantry company of 180 men.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 07/31/13 - 09:24 am
I don't know Seenit

Jagger moves like he's still in his 20's

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/31/13 - 09:31 am
shrimp

Jagger must have some miracle drug..try to find out & you will get some big$$$....you might not need it now but you will in the future...

Surely he will play somewhere in the south--some day..right??

He didn't boycott Florida did he?