Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

THIS IS A RANT for all those protesters busting out windows and tearing up cars and beating people up. Where were you when O.J. Simpson was acquitted? The only thing you’re accomplishing is our neighborhood watch had a meeting today and four of us went down and got concealed weapons permits. So don’t come to our neighborhood in hoodies tearing things up.

NOW THEY WANT to raise our taxes to put cam­eras down on the river. Why don’t you just reassign tax money that’s coming in for what you need? We do that every day on a daily basis – we reassign money in our families if we need something. Something else has to suffer just a little in order to accommodate a need. And if you can’t do that in government, we’re all going to be broke. Quit raising our taxes.

MY GARBAGE CAN sits at the end of my driveway in some bushes. It’s been that way for years. I am crippled and cannot pull the garbage can down the long driveway. I can manage to get the sacks of garbage to the can and that is all. If you want to come over and put my garbage can out every week, I would be glad to take you up on that.

TO THE POWERS that be, it is time to cut the grass along the interstate and Bobby Jones Ex­press­way and clean up all the garbage that all this flooding has loosened up.

WHY I LIVE IN North Augusta … a city government that works, a county government that works, a board of education that works and one day-a-week trash pick-up that works.

A RANT FOR Columbia County Board of Edu­ca­tion’s latest newsletter! Does “Bullying” only apply to students or are principals (including acting principals) allowed exceptions? Apparently elementary principals are allowed special tactics to reduce staff. Could this be a manner in which to eliminate tenured teachers with more advanced degrees and allow hiring of newer, inexperienced teachers at reduced salaries?

AUGUSTA’S DOWNTOWN businesses have to pay an additional tax to obtain police protection? Really? It is a shame that Augusta is stuck with a sheriff who has no imagination. Tax-and-spend doesn’t work in D.C., and it will not work in Augusta.

GEORGE ZIMMERMAN’S mother calls herself an Afro-Peruvian. If George Zimmerman’s last name was Mesa, like his Peruvian-born mother’s maiden name, we probably never would have heard about the Trayvon Martin shooting.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/28/13 - 07:32 pm
So, what is the difference?

Why does it work fine in NA, Edgefield, Aiken, ColCo, Lincoln Co, McDuffie Co; but not in ARC?

'a city government that works, a county government that works, a board of education that works and one day-a-week trash pick-up that works."

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/28/13 - 09:08 pm
Because . . .

IAD . . . ARC residents are bigger whiners than residents in those other locales.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/28/13 - 09:11 pm
Ranter #6

You have not given enough specifics to zero in on your question, but in general:

Yes, Principals are allowed exceptions.

Principals are allowed to reduce staff.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 07/28/13 - 10:46 pm
"AUGUSTA’S DOWNTOWN

... businesses have to pay an additional tax to obtain police protection? Really?"

Really.

Just another step in an already long march toward becoming another Detroit; brought to you by the same people.

countyman
20610
countyman 07/29/13 - 03:50 am
Private sector growth is amazing

Augusta/RC must be doing something right when large national commercial developments are flocking to the county. The first Cabela's in the state of Georgia, and third location in the southeast. The H&M coming to the Augusta Mall is the first location located outside of metro Atlanta, and the first locations announced in South Carolina(Augusta MSA) including Charleston. The new upscale movie theater featuring rocking chairs, in-theater dining, and the restaurant will bring people from both sides of the river. The Village at Riverwatch will become one of the top shopping destinations in the entire southeast.

Greenville and Charleston do have better retail options, but Augusta is ahead of Columbia in terms of national retail. Columbia can offer you Whole Foods/Trader Joes, but we have Apple, Costco, Cabela's, & Bass Pro.

countyman
20610
countyman 07/29/13 - 02:24 am
Future if Richmond County is bright

The city of Augusta just needs to spend most of the time related to thinking of solutions to improve the CBD, South Augusta, East Augusta, and the neighborhoods surrounding the CBD(minus Summerville/Forest Hills but including Sand Hills). Many of the projects below will attract private sector funding.

1. CBD(arena, cultural campus, digital billboard, substation on Broad, performing arts center, Augusta greenway, constant dialogue with GRU concerning the GGHF site, extending the Riverwalk and marketing the Watermark property for mixed-use).
2. South Augusta(redevelopment of Regency Mall, mixed-use/town center development south of Wills Foreman on Peach Orchard or south of Tobacco rd on Mike Padgett, large companies in the Augusta Corporate park, amenities near the airport/Augusta Regional Industial Park growth, Target shopping center, and riverfront development).
3. East Augusta(demolishing Marion homes/East Augusta Commons and new recreation/housing near the river).
4. Harrisburg(concentrating on the Mills campus/commercial development near Kroger and attracting small businesses to Broad.
5. Sand Hills(attract GRU students/faculty)
6. 15th street(working to make this area pedestrian friendly due to the GA DOT widening, cancer center, cherry tree demolishing, commercial development near Kroger).

The only thing West Augusta needs is sidewalks/bike lanes/landscaping on Wrightsboro, redevelopment of three shopping centers on Wrightsboro(Fred's, Food Lion, and the small one across from the golf course), redevelopment along Washington rd-demolished Knights Inn/Motel 6-mid rise office buildings-trees/plants, urban park in the Augusta Exchange were development can locate around. The Summerville area could use a nice large park to hold community events.

countyman
20610
countyman 07/29/13 - 01:39 pm
4 Large shopping areas in Richmond County and 1 in RC/CC

The funny thing is how people are now caught up in the Village at Riverwatch or Wheeler Town Park. Their attracting the headlines for now, but the 44 acre development at Walton Way Extension/I-20 near the Augusta Exchange, 25 acre development on Jimmie Dyess near Zaxbys, and the commercial development near Kroger on 15th street will soon enter the spotlight.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/29/13 - 05:03 am
A rising tide lifts all ships

When I think about economic and population growth in the CSRA, I'm reminded of the saying, "A rising tide lifts all ships." Those areas with growth and money help everyone. They have to spend their money somewhere.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/29/13 - 05:07 am
Her Two Cents

It sounds like a teacher was fired and is going to have her two cents heard.

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/29/13 - 06:59 am
A rising tide lifts all ships. Not the ones with large holes.

And if they have no rudder, they will go astray.

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/29/13 - 07:00 am
The cream rises to the top. And so does the scum.

The cream rises to the top. And so does the scum.

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/29/13 - 07:01 am
One outlet strip mall opens, another closes. Progress? Smoke?

One outlet strip mall opens, another closes. Progress? Smoke?

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 07/29/13 - 07:11 am
I disagree River...

While the new businesses are great for the county as a whole...few people on the southside are benefitting from them. They were put at county lines and state lines for a reason and it wasn't for the enjoyment of South Augustans....especially when all the tax money generated will be spent downtown...like always....

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/29/13 - 07:18 am
seenitB4
seenitB4 07/29/13 - 07:23 am
County/state lines

Yes mam...I did notice that...right at the line to catch folks coming & going.....not just the local folks...I would say SMART business thinking...they are not concerned with local business on the south side & why should they....they are in this to make MONEY...you will see MANY people from all over the South coming to Bass Pro...we see that here all the time....north Ga mountain folks ---Gainesville--Athens--crowds of folks...they keep the parking lot full.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/29/13 - 07:31 am
We need to learn from this & FAST!

Detroit is a human tragedy for the unnecessary pain its residents are living through. It is an historic tragedy for the loss of a great American city and a symbol of American industrial power. It is a sobering warning of what can happen in the rest of the country if we continue to tolerate massive, systemic breakdown in government.

Detroit is not unique. It is in fact a warning signal of what can happen to us at every level of government if we continue to tolerate the breakdown in government capabilities and performance.

For two generations we have had a political system dominated by protecting the government class and growing a dependency class. More and more people got unsustainable deals through government employee union power to coerce politicians (for whom they were often the largest and most powerful reelection threat). More and more people were told they didn't have to learn or work or be productive because someone else would take care of it all for them.

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/29/13 - 07:41 am
Who is still pushing the Zimmerman case?

Is it those that failed to rake in enough profits, when there was no wide civil unrest?

Look at those that are still griping and judge for yourself why they continue to spew misleading facts, and hate speak to incite.

Who / Whom are the sources quoted by these low information gripers?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/29/13 - 08:59 am
Comment of the Month

saywhatagain had a great one over on the thread about hiring ex-convicts:

It’s not government’s job to make everyone happy and everything free.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 07/29/13 - 09:12 am
A moment to think!

Just taking a moment to think and wonder what it looks like from the other perspective. Ok, now that I realize my mind absolutely refuses to go there, I think I'll have my cake and eat it too!!

corgimom
corgimom 07/29/13 - 09:22 am
Rant #1- The people that

Rant #1- The people that engaged in those riots are people that are antisocial, sociopathic criminals that use verdicts like that as an excuse to rob, loot, and destroy other people's properties.

They are the same ones that riot when their sports teams win or lose a championship.

Because they are not productive members of society but are actually violent, maladjusted criminals. All they really care about is breaking into the package shops, supermarkets, and electronics stores to plunder and destroy, and to beat innocent people who have nothing to do with any of it, like Reginald Denny.

It's a group of adults having a massive temper tantrum.

corgimom
corgimom 07/29/13 - 09:24 am
"especially when all the tax

"especially when all the tax money generated will be spent downtown...like always...."

True, dat!

corgimom
corgimom 07/29/13 - 09:24 am
I'm just wondering what

I'm just wondering what "incentives" were given to those stores, if they didn't get the same or better deal than Costco, they would be very foolish

pearlthesquirrel
pearlthesquirrel 07/29/13 - 09:33 am
# 6

C.C.B.O.E. is "out of line"......tell me something I don't know. It's the good ol' boy network through and through......just walk into any school and you'll notice a pattern...a pattern? Yea, it goes something like this:
Blonde or bleached blonde hair, preferably female, in your 20's or 30's, driving a "nice" car (a.k.a. no hot rods or Harley's, etc.), with a slight, but under your breathe hint of your favoritism for Christianity. And there you go, a C.C.B.O.E. teacher 101 lesson for ya'll. Dig it?

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 07/29/13 - 09:42 am
Let's see.......

Drive to Augusta and shop, just so someone can cut me off in traffic while telling me I'm #1, only to have some employee of a retail establishment have to interrupt their personal phone conversation or text conversation wait on my while their eyes roll like a playtoy, go out to eat while my drink glass sits empty and my order is delivered wrong by someone who can't stop popping gum long enough to get it right and has the same eye roll disease. No Thanks, I'll stay in my small town, shop with people I know who appreciate my business, eat in local restaurants where the owners appreciate my business and my order is correct and I don't die of thirst as I wait for a refill. If I need something from one of the big box stores I'll order it online and allow my friendly UPS or FedEX person to deliver it to my home!!

dichotomy
dichotomy 07/29/13 - 09:55 am
"So, what is the

"So, what is the difference?"

C'mon...you're kidding....right?

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/29/13 - 09:56 am
coldbeer

What would bring you into town?

What would you spend money on in the CSRA?

nosy behinds want to know :)

lifelongresident
lifelongresident 07/29/13 - 10:13 am
ranter #1

dear ranter #1-the reason you didn't see them after the oj verdict is because they were too busy "at de stoe usin dey foo stamps and wlefare to buy cigs, alcohol, steaks, skrimps, and crab legs to thow parties and picnics to sell-e-brate oj's acquittal"

corgimom
corgimom 07/29/13 - 10:20 am
CBBP, AMEN!

CBBP, AMEN!

The last time I was at Dillard's, I literally had to walk all over the second floor to find a cashier.

A customer should not have to undertake a search to find a cashier.

And I've had to do it so much that I am fed up. I'm like you, I shop online. It's much easier.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 07/29/13 - 10:19 am
Diapers

Story on the news about poor mothers not being able to afford disposable diapers. Call me old fashioned but I/we used cloth diapers. Didn't have to buy diapers every week and didn't fill the landfill. Did have to do quite a bit of washing but it saved a ton of money.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 07/29/13 - 10:19 am
seenit

We all like good food! Good Lookin' Women and FUN!!

Partnerships needed in cyber sectors, NSA director says

Adm. Michael Rogers, director of the National Security Agency, said the nation's security rests on breaking down bariers between private and government sectors specializing in cyber defense. ...