Rants & Raves

Comments from readers.

RAVE FOR THE Columbia County sheriff’s deputy on Saturday during the heavy rain for giving tickets, citations, warnings to drivers parking in the “No parking fire lane.” Regardless of the weather and outside conditions, the “No parking fire lane” is for emergency use only. Keep up the enforcement, Columbia County Sheriff’s Office.

WHERE WERE ALL these demonstrators after the O.J. Simpson and Casey Anthony verdicts?

I WOULD LIKE TO publicly thank Doctors Hospital, specifically the staffers and employees in the ER, Radiology, 2 South, fifth floor and the rehab unit, for the extraordinary care I received during my emergency 15-day hospitalization in May and June. The physicians, nurses and ancillary staffers (including housekeeping and food service workers) were not only professional but also very kind, compassionate and caring.

RECENTLY WE HAD a power outage for about three hours. Georgia Power came out to look at the trouble. They had two police blocking the street. Why are we using the police? Why didn’t they use flagmen? The police are stretched for enough.

I LIVE IN THE OLD city on a well-traveled public street. I’ve had pickup twice in the past six weeks under this “enhanced” garbage program. Very appropriately named. Now, they know where to pick up my stuff, but just why haven’t they? Will I get a pro-rated adjustment on my taxes?

TO PARAPHRASE WALT Kelly’s comic character Pogo, “We have met the enemy and it is the media.” When a media darling is declared not guilty, the defense did an outstanding job and justice has been served. Yet when someone the media has already judged as guilty is declared not guilty the prosecution was horribly inept and justice has been thwarted. Only in the eyes of the media is one guilty until proved innocent.

RANT FOR OUR governing bodies in Washington, D.C. Our type of government is supposed to provide for checks and balances. So far, I have seen very little checks and absolutely no balancing.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/24/13 - 04:37 pm
Campaign

This came from the Washington Times link on the Chronicle Home Page:

"If Washington Democrats were really serious about turning the economy around, they'd be working collaboratively with Republicans to do just that, instead of just sitting on the sidelines and waiting to take their cues from the endless political road shows the president cooks up whenever he feels like changing the topic," Senator Mitch McConnell said.

On his campaign-style road show today, the president again proved the Limbaugh Theorem. Obama blamed "Washington" for the lackluster economy. Those starry-eyed college students so carefully chosen for his audience lapped it up like cyanide-laced Kool Aid. Obama is Washington. Obama owns the failing economy.

Shortcomment
Shortcomment 07/24/13 - 08:38 pm
Just finished reviewing a lot

Just finished reviewing a lot comments made to the "Both Sons..." Letter and I came away with 2 very distinct thoughts.

#1. It seems some people will never be happy until their get a lynching, public demanded conviction, or the USA has a riot.

#2. It seems an awful lot people just refuse to learn what really happened because it would get in the way of #1.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/25/13 - 06:28 am
When you vote you better think

The next time you step in the voting booth you better think if you want that person in charge of your pension..he very well could be....it could sink & you would suffer..it is happpeining all over the US

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/25/13 - 06:31 am
This is serious

In his proposal to creditors, Detroit Emergency Manager Kevyn Orr (above, right) pointed to a shortfall of $3.5 billion in its pension funds. Arguing the need for "significant cuts in accrued, vested pension amounts for both active and currently retired persons," Orr will seek to reduce the amount Detroit has promised in pension payments for current employees as well as slashing pension-benefit checks for retirees.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

When you are older you may NOT be able to work at another job..you will depend on a PENSION

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/25/13 - 06:34 am
to this rant

-----------------------------------------------------------
A woman just died in Elijay Ga...she stepped outside on wet ground with a down wire on the ground nearby....it is a dangerous situation & police can control it.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/25/13 - 06:38 am
To this

---------------------------------------------------------------

In their homes/work minding their own business...knowing full well that a wrong had been done.......but it didn't cost the taxpayer a dime on police control...

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/25/13 - 06:45 am
So true but it shouldn't be

Only in the eyes of the media is one guilty until proved innocent.

They can make or break a person & they prove that everyday....some use threats to make some famous people show up on their program....that goes for famous radio folks too....& I'm not talking about local guys...

The DeKalb county CEO is in trouble right now for strong arming the donors to give him more $$ for his campaign...Gov Deal just replaced him...this happens a lot....Chicago has had some famous politicians doing this too.....remember the guy with all the hair in his face...he did it too....a Kennedy want-a-be type.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/25/13 - 06:48 am
hah whoa nellie

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Any day I expect some to gather their trash & dump it somewhere in a well known spot for the commish to see....heavens :)

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/25/13 - 06:51 am
Checks & balances??

====================================

I haven't seen that in YEARS...even with Bushie.

Shortcomment
Shortcomment 07/25/13 - 07:39 am
Another BASH MOB robs stores

Yes again it turns out to be a group of black teens robbing a local convenience store using the group snatch and grab tactic. In this case they physically assaulted the store clerk. So these Bashes are now getting dangerous.

Like all stupid stunts seen on the Internet sooner, or later someone local idiot will try it. So, a word of warning to any LOCAL idiots planning a BASH MOB in GA, or SC.

The gun laws are different down here than those cities. Unlike DC, NYC, LA, Stockton, SF, etc.........
Many store owners are packing firearms. They can and will likely use it to protect themselves from grievous physical injury and possible death. Or at the least detain you for RCSO.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/25/13 - 08:05 am
About the size of Bass Pro

For those on here worried about the size of things..:):)

The Bass Pro near us is HUGE ..it has the Outdoor World section...that has room for big boats & etc....I think that part will be omitted from the store going up near yall....my thoughts...anyway.

Some worry about size & others worry about QUALITY! hehheh

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/25/13 - 08:10 am
About Jeb Bush

Jake I did see Barbara Bush say that we have had enough Bushs & she is probably right.....I just think Jeb would have been better than the last Bush we had....but he may never even want the dang job & who could blame him.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/25/13 - 08:21 am
Cabelas has announced a

Cabelas has announced a 42,000 sq ft store near the Costco store.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 07/25/13 - 09:02 am
RECENTLY WE HAD a power outage for about three hours. Georgia Po

Because people tend to ignore everyone but the police. Georgia Power has to do that in order to keep their employees safe from injury or death because some Brain Surgeon thinks it won't hurt anything for them to drive or walk through there. You'd be surprised how many people are injured from someones indirect actions!

corgimom
corgimom 07/25/13 - 09:20 am
seenit, here's the deal. It's

seenit, here's the deal. It's a complex subject, but I'll try and condense it down to make it make sense.

Pension accounting is very complex and complicated. When these pension funds were set up, the laws were written so that these municipalities didn't have to fund it every year, they could owe money to the pension fund. They also didn't have to report it on their balance sheets. This was done to encourage the establishment of pensions, because if they didn't make those laws, the municipalities didn't want to be on the hook for all that pension money.

It was designed so that if a city ran short of money, that essential services could still be paid for, and the idea was that they'd make up the shortfall when times were prosperous.

Well, people are people, and nobody pays bills if they don't have to. So over the years, these municipalities kept finding other uses for their money, and didn't fund the pensions.

Then, when it was realized that these municipalities were accruing huge liabilities that taxpayers didn't know about, the rules were changed and they had to report the liability.

When that happened, all the municipalities said, "Holy Moley, we owe a lot of money to these pension funds, how are we going to ever pay it?"
For example, several years ago the City of San Diego realized that they had over $1 billion of pension liability. They had no idea that they owed that much.

And the answer is, they can't. None of these municipalities can pay it back.

There will be more muncipalities going BK, they won't have any choice.

corgimom
corgimom 07/25/13 - 09:21 am
I must be totally out of the

I must be totally out of the loop, I never heard of Cabelas.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 07/25/13 - 09:40 am
Cabelas is great if you like

Cabelas is great if you like the outdoors.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/25/13 - 02:49 pm
Tell me something corgi

with this..

Do you think we all are dumb nuts on here & can't grasp that?? GEEZ woman....I am well aware many muncipalities are going broke.....we are seeing the tip of the iceberg....I'm saying this with as much kindness as I can........it sure would be nice if you posted with out debating every blessed thing another poster says on here.

Sweet son
Sweet son 07/25/13 - 03:33 pm
And corgi did you see how many dislikes you have on your epistle

about how municipalities fail. We understand that the failures are complex.

Seenit just like you, does her commenting from afar but she does not always question that which others say. I live here, Seenit came from here and we suppose that you might have come from here since you comment on the AC R&Rs and other stories. Help us here when you can and even though it seems we are on your case we always love banter from everyone who comments!

corgimom
corgimom 07/25/13 - 05:07 pm
seenit, I don't have any

seenit, I don't have any issues with you. I keep telling you that. And I have no idea what you know, and what you don't know. No, I don't think that you are a dumb nut. Why would I think that? I wasn't even disagreeing with you or debating you, that was your interpretation. And I don't click onto most links that people post on here.

But that is exactly why Detroit went into BK, it's why Orange County went into BK, it's why Stockton went into BK, and it's why the other municipalities will too. And Augusta is going to do it sooner or later, and the Atlanta municipalities will too, unless something unusual happens. It's the biggest fraud ever conducted in our history, it's even worse than Social Security.

However, in the next 20 years, there is going to be a huge number of municipalities going BK. They won't have any other choice. And it's going to have an enormous effect on the US economy. People want to talk about Obama, and welfare, and food stamps. That's nothing, this is going to be the next economic crisis in America, and by the time it's over, all pensions will pretty much be a thing of the past. And you know who is to blame for this? The lawmakers who allowed this to happen, and the municipal goverment officials who were more concerned about their reelections than doing the right thing. The government officials knew by the time it came to a head, they'd be long gone and wouldn't be accountable. And the people that will suffer are the workers.

It is going to affect banking, it is going to affect everybody that holds municipal bonds, and it will affect private pension funds, too, that heavily invest in muni bonds. It will affect all of us before it's done.

Now, if you want to be mad at me, you can be. I don't get upset over any of these posts, I don't take it personally, who would? I don't care what you post, I don't care what anybody posts, I know the difference between the real world and this blog. I WISH that the biggest problems in my life were the people on this blog, I'd be ecstatic. People can disagree with me all they want, I learn from this blog every day. I like different points of view, whether I agree with them or not.

*******************************
And sweet son, gotta tell you, I don't pay any attention to the "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" on any post, I'm not 14. And I don't pay attention to the "points" system, either, I guess some posters are into it, but not me. I don't click "like" or "unlike" on anybody's posts, but I guess some other people do. And if that's what makes them happy, that's ok with me. But it's all wasted on me, I'm pretty old school. I freely admit that I'm technostupid, and I'm ok with that, too.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/25/13 - 06:11 pm
Andy Cheek's Comments Today

Former Richmond County Commissioner Andy Cheek was on the radio today lamenting about the county. He feels it has lots of potential that's being wasted. He said the school system turns out the worst students in the state and the state is not ranked that high while spending zillions with a stagnant student population. It's one thing to have to build new schools when the population is growing quite another when the student population hasn't increased. He said the county money ends up going for projects for a select few well connected people in town. However, he didn't blame the commission. He said they are often stonewalled by the various authorities that are getting much of their funding from the county. It’s too bad he moved to South Carolina and isn’t still on the commission with that kind of honesty.

Sweet son
Sweet son 07/25/13 - 06:24 pm
Hey corgi you, Joe Jackson and I have the same idea on

Richmond County's finances. He said in a TV interview yesterday that balancing the RC budget by spending $3million from reserves to balance the books is not right! He said you can't go into your savings account to balance the check book and he is right. We don't do that in this household but I think the locals with Fred in charge will spend us into debt.

Oh, I don't look at points or the thumbs either!

happychimer
happychimer 07/25/13 - 06:40 pm
I remember way back when all

I remember way back when all I had to do was say good morning, and posters would come out slinging mood at me.Those days are gone, and good riddance!

KSL
KSL 07/25/13 - 09:30 pm
Seenit, you go girl!!

Seenit, you go girl!!

KSL
KSL 07/25/13 - 09:56 pm
Here is what is happening

The other day, a neighbor called and said she wanted me to show her brother a handgun I had recently purchased. So my husband and I met them in our front yard with our three new purchases. Then my husband went in to get the one I have had since 1978. There we are, standing in our front yard, each of us holding 2 guns, with neighbors driving by. Not one single call to our very active neighborhood watch for this behavior.

I reckon there was profiling going on there. Now, if neighbors and frequent visitors had noticed four people they didn't recognize, with 2 holding weapons, there might have been some "splaining" to do.

KSL
KSL 07/25/13 - 10:12 pm
By the way

They were brought out of the house unloaded.

Fire closes Broad Street

An early morning fire is closing parts of downtown Broad Street and motorists are advised to avoid the area around Ninth Street.