Weather

More News | Local Forecast | DATABASE: Historic Weather Data

Frogs fool with fancy weather gauge

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 6:43 PM
Last updated 8:04 PM

Attention, frogs: The weather gauges at Bush Field are in a no-croaking zone.

The National Weather Service had to correct the daily climate report for Augusta on Wednesday morning after a frog hopped into the All Weather Precipitation Accumulation Gauge – a sophisticated device that measures rainfall by weighing it.

It’s not sophisticated enough, though, to tell the difference between precipitation and amphibians, which have found their way into it about a dozen times since the beginning of the summer, said meteorologist Leonard Vaughan.

“When a frog gets into the gauge, its weight may be falsely recorded as precipitation,” Vaughan said. “This was the case this morning, and as a result, the false precipitation readings were removed from our daily climate report.”

Meteorologists at the weather service in West Columbia, S.C., said they were suspicious when 0.04 inch of rainfall was recorded in Augusta despite no evidence of it on radar.

They sent an electronics technician to inspect. He found the frog and sent it on its way.

For the record, Wednesday morning’s rainfall was officially measured as less than 0.01 inch – finer than a frog’s hair.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 07/24/13 - 08:30 pm
Thanks for the laugh! Loved

Thanks for the laugh! Loved hearing about the "oopsie" by the frog and that despite his rather cramped quarters he survived the interruption in his daily routine. I wonder if the frog had better acoustics for singing for a gal in the special accommodations provided (accidentally) by the All Weather Precipitation Accumulation Gauge. If so, I imagine it was a bit frustrating for him. All's well, that ends well, as long as this errant frog is no longer stuck in the "well".

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 07/24/13 - 09:12 pm
Hello my baby, hello my

Hello my baby, hello my honey, hello my rag time gal.... send me a kiss by wire... RIBET...

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/25/13 - 06:35 am
ARC News Flash: Raining bull frogs!!! Noah Alert!!!!

ARC News Flash: Raining bull frogs!!! Noah Alert!!

David Parker
David Parker 07/25/13 - 07:34 am
yall want me to run by the

yall want me to run by the store and grab a few screens? Or a few king snakes?

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 07/25/13 - 07:51 am
Ut oh....

Frog tax!!!

KSL
KSL 07/25/13 - 08:36 am

Thank goodness he is not going to be boiled slowly.

KSL
KSL 07/25/13 - 08:55 am
Or she.

Or she.

Sweet son
Sweet son 07/25/13 - 11:12 am
Good Comments and good banter on a human interest story!

Not the sour pusses who slammed Rob Pavey for reporting on water consumption or lack thereof in the area due to recent rainfall.

David Parker
David Parker 07/25/13 - 01:22 pm
I'll swing by after work and

I'll swing by after work and put those amphibians on notice. "No monkeying around with the technology!!!!"

Vietnam veteran writes book on 319th Transportation Co.

"Vietnam Convoy Trucker" recounts the fear, boredom and humor faced while delivering supplies to American troops battling the North Vietnamese Army and Viet Cong.