Georgia food stamp rolls grow

ATLANTA — The number of people relying on food stamps in Georgia is on the rise.

The Supplemental Nu­trition Assistance Program provided food assistance to a record 1.91 million people in the state a year ago. Nearly a quarter of them were 6 years old or younger.

By this June, the program had added 40,000 more recipients.

The Atlanta Journal-Con­sti­tution reported that those numbers have nearly doubled since the economy
slid into recession in late 2007.

Georgia suffered more than most states and is still hundreds of thousands of jobs below its pre-recession levels. Many jobs that have been added are low-paying. About 58 percent of working-age food stamp recipients are employed.

Meanwhile, Georgia has surged from having the 15th-highest proportion of food stamp recipients to sixth-highest.

About one in five Geor­gians in urban, suburban and rural areas are food stamp recipients.

“A lot of people who, before the recession, were above the food stamp level are now below,” said Mike Konczal, a Roosevelt Institute fellow. “Food stamps in this recovery have been a much more fundamental part of the social safety net.”

The federal nutrition assistance program now costs about $78 billion a year. The U.S. Senate in June passed a farm bill that included $4.1 billion in cuts to the program over a decade. The House of Representatives passed its own version of the bill that didn’t include funding for food stamps. Congress is expected to revisit the issue and come up with a compromise.

Critics of the program say food stamps offer short-term help but can be part of a harmful pattern.

“I think all of these programs, taken together, do create a broad disincentive for personal responsibility,” economist Chris Edwards of the Cato Institute told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “The more of these programs there are, the less incentives for moderate-income people to rise above it and to improve themselves.”

However, the Food and Nutrition Service estimates that every dollar in new benefits generates up to $1.80 in economic activity, and a $1 billion increase in benefits supports 18,000 jobs – including 3,000 on farms.

More than 642,000 food stamp recipients in Fulton, DeKalb, Gwinnett, Clayton and Cobb counties spend about $900 million on food annually, According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 07/24/13 - 12:45 am
EBT Down

I went to Kroger a couple Sunday evenings ago. It's usually pretty crowded. There was a sign on the door that said EBT is down. There was only two people in the store.

scoobynews
scoobynews 07/24/13 - 06:11 am
I wish stores would please

I wish stores would please make an ebt/wic line. Yesterday at Walmart a young woman was holding everyone up in the line while she chatted away on her phone using WIC. Then she proceeded to buy a ton of greens and frozen foods only to have the cashier remove the items because of whatever crazy reason. She was on the phone discussing the transaction and had an ebt card In her other hand. Needless to say I didn't have all day to wait on her free food transaction while I am living on the little bit of pay I have left until next Wednesday. Please spare me the stigma defense because I really don't think they care one bit as long as their food is free.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/24/13 - 06:59 am
Atlas Shrugged

There will come a point when we all will stop working and demand our EBT cards. Atlas Shrugged.

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/24/13 - 07:06 am
Food Stamps is demeaning. We now have SNAP. Its a SNAP.

To be owned, fed and clothed by Big Brother.

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/24/13 - 07:06 am
Oh to be owned lock, stock and barrell by Big Brother. Joy, Joy

Oh to be owned lock, stock and barrell by Big Brother. Joy, Joy

tom31510
tom31510 07/24/13 - 07:49 am
"When we all stop working....."

.....we'll be doing exactly what the liberals want. When people are dependent on the government then they are easily controlled by the government. People don't seem to realize how Hitler came into power. It was scare tactics very much like those used by out present head of state.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/24/13 - 08:00 am
Rationalization

Some shill in the Food and Nutrition Service estimates that . . . a $1 billion increase in benefits supports 18,000 jobs – including 3,000 on farms.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Yeah, that's 3,000 jobs on farms and 15,000 jobs in government bureaucracies.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 07/24/13 - 08:44 am
"every dollar in new benefits

"every dollar in new benefits generates up to $1.80 in economic activity" We should all be on food stamps....the economy would be at full employment then....Who believes this garbage?

dichotomy
dichotomy 07/24/13 - 08:51 am
"There will come a point when

"There will come a point when we all will stop working and demand our EBT cards."

And there will come a point when there is not enough taxPAYERS left to pay for them and we become Greece. Maybe when we rebuild after the collapse there will not be any welfare except for the elderly and disabled.....as it should be now. It's too late to turn around this current crop of losers and leeches by peaceful means so something dramatic has to happen.

BamaMan
BamaMan 07/24/13 - 09:03 am
RMSHEFF

You REALLY want to know the answer to that question?? I think most of of already know.

JRC2024
JRC2024 07/24/13 - 09:12 am
I can tell you what food

I can tell you what food stamps , government assistance, and a child out of wedlock do to a person first hand. I had an employee who had a child out of wedlock. The mother will not work, the father stopped working as much. My production went down because he got the daughters food and medical care paid for by the state. I would have to drive to Grovetown and beat on his door to see if he was going to work because he would not answer his phone. I eventually had to quite using him because it was too much trouble to try and get him to work and so did all the other contractors that used him. Too bad for the child but I am sure they still get their SNAP card at the expense of all that work.

chascushman
chascushman 07/24/13 - 10:32 am
"I can tell you what food

"I can tell you what food stamps , government assistance, and a child out of wedlock do to a person first hand."
JCR, when I hear folks what voted for the lying Marxist communist in the WH complain I tell them to take somewhere else. Actually I am pretty rude.

augrichgal
augrichgal 07/24/13 - 09:55 am
IF they would actually stop

IF they would actually stop letting young and the able collect the debt would go down. Too many young people use it as a crutch and a career. If you cannot afford children do not have 3, 4 , 5 , 6 or 7. I am a single WORKING mom. If you do not have a handicap that enables you to work, then I think the law should be to receive assistance you must work a minimum of 25 hours a week. I know some that have been on EBT since 18 years old, in their 30s now and have multiple children and DO NOT WORK a lick. Their boyfriends work, but they do not claim their money. Something is terribly wrong with the system. I give a shout out to the states that say after 2 years GET A JOB.

KSL
KSL 07/24/13 - 10:05 am
If you cannot affoed a child,

If you cannot affoed a child, do not have one.

ragingbull
ragingbull 07/24/13 - 10:37 am
After a woman births one

After a woman births one child that requires government assistance, and when a male impregnates that said woman and has no intention of supporting said child, the only government program for them both should be castration and sterilization. I am a white male, and I have a relative who has two children by two different women, and he has never provided one dime of support for either child. The children are now ages 7 and 12. If it wasn't for family providing support for these two children during infant years, they probably would not be doing as well as they are now. Thank God the mothers subsequently met and married decent men who are providing a stable home for these children and from all indications care about the children and are participating in their upbringing. As for the biological father, he needs to be locked away in a safe place, because if he finds a job, he will only work long enough to accumulate money that will get him through another few weeks of not working. I am sure the mothers of the children have had to turn to the government for some sort of help with the children over the years, but we as a caring family have done everything possible to help with the children too.

David Parker
David Parker 07/24/13 - 10:46 am
Like the Republicans can

Like the Republicans can bring things back in check. Get a Lib in office if you want something dramatic. I don't see things changing if you keep bouncing the ball between the two parties.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 07/24/13 - 11:05 am
Off the Dole

Want to see them getting jobs and off the Dole. Change it to workfare. If you get benefits, you work for the state a minimum of 40 hours a week. Picking up trash off the side of the road, cleaning out ditches, building government projects, working in daycare for other freeloaders and the list can go on. When they find that their time is rewarded at minimum wage and they have to work overtime to keep the same benefit, most will work to get off. This would be for the able, not the elderly or infirm.

Twaa
Twaa 07/24/13 - 11:32 am
So Harsh

I am a single mother of 4 children, and not by choice. The father of my children was killed on the job. He worked and provided for all of us. I too have worked for 18 years of my life. I see this issue from both sides. After he passed away I had to go get food stamps because the income that I was bringing in was not enough to maintain for us with out his help or income any more. I look at it this way, I worked and he worked for almost20 years and NEVER received assistance of any kind. It was embarrassing for me to have to go to the office and ask for help. One women told me to look at it this was for more than 20 years both of you have worked to feed someone else and this time I needed to feed my children, it was just me getting some of the money back that he and I have worked hard for all our lives. On the other hand I find it disturbing that the system will help a women who has multiple children and has never put in a hard days work, who are we to judge. There are a lot of people out there who receive benefits because they can't make ends meet, or have been placed in a situation and have no other choice. I bet a lot of you on here would see someone like me in a store with my EBT card and go to judging me, not knowing that I work a full time job and go to school full time. That I am not lazy or have a worthless "Baby daddy", or that my husband died providing for us and making sure we didn't depend on anyone's hand outs. But you wouldn't look at me and see my hurt, my struggle, my despair all you would see that I have this card and you feel that I am getting something for nothing. WRONG, the ultimate sacrifice was made and I put my time in, pay my taxes and work hard every day. I will continue to receive my benefits until I can provide for my children better and for those of you who don't like it SO WHAT WHO CARES. I am still a productive member of society and I still continue to work and pay my taxes to get the benefits that my children receive. My parents have retired and have worked for 50 years and all of my siblings work just like myself, so I look at it as my family is helping me with food for my children just like for years we have help others with there's. "HE WHO IS FREE OF SIN LET THEMCAST THE FIRST STONE"

Darby
Darby 07/24/13 - 11:51 am
"Maybe when we rebuild after the collapse

there will not be any welfare except for the elderly and disabled.....as it should be now. "

There should be NO welfare for the elderly OR the disabled until there is some form of means testing.

KSL
KSL 07/24/13 - 11:53 am
Life insurance is relatively

Life insurance is relatively cheap for young, healthy people. My husband had life insurance before we were married. And before we had our first child, he added to it.

Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 07/24/13 - 11:57 am
@Twaa

From reading your post, I would say that you are the type of person this assistance was meant for . It's a stop gap to assist folks who have hit a hard time through no fault of their own, and are working to get back in a situation where they can provide for their family fully on their own - there's no shame in that. There are lots of people like you - and I am perfectly happy paying taxes to help support this program - when it's used APPROPRIATELY. Unfortunately, a vast majority of people who are on public assistance are quite frankly working the system and it has become a way of life for them. They don't WANT to come off the program. What's really hard to swallow is that many of these folks have NEVER worked, NEVER paid taxes and are making a career out of living off the backs of folks who have paid their dues. Those are the types of folks who unfortuntately cause there to be a negative pallor cast on recipients. Although we shouldn't, it's hard NOT to judge these folks.

I would never begrudge anyone assistance - but as the old saying goes - "He helps those that help themselves". I don't think it's unfair to expect that others pay their dues too..

Darby
Darby 07/24/13 - 12:00 pm
"Like the Republicans can bring things back

in check. Get a Lib in office if you want something dramatic."

You just said that to get people riled up right? I mean unless you've been living on the dark side of the moon, you know that we've had a Lib in office for five years now.

We are also in the midst of the WORST economic "recovery" in our nation's history. Can we screw things up any more than we have to this point?

Not likely!

Maybe we can get Congress to change the name of this country to the United States of Detroit, to emphasize the actual extent of the mess we are in?

Yeah, that's the ticket!

KSL
KSL 07/24/13 - 12:14 pm
I think he meant Libertarian.

I think he meant Libertarian.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 07/24/13 - 01:24 pm
No Twaa

You are not the one we are talking about. I bet you didn't have the flashiest cell phone, dress your kids in 100 dollars tennis shoes and drive a escalade. Your kids were all from the same man and he was lost to tragedy. You are what the assistance is for...the key word being ASSISTANCE. It was not meant to be a job for life. It's a hand up not a hand out.

specsta
specsta 07/24/13 - 02:57 pm
Corporate Leeches

@ Twaa - You make some excellent points. Thanks for sharing.

There will always be those who judge others based on a minuscule observation; those who condemn anyone who has a need for government assistance. These are folks I call must call heartless, who have a lump of ice instead of an actual heart in their chest. Cold and unfeeling.

People need help. Everyone deserves to eat, have shelter, and have clothing.

I still cannot figure out how a human being can be so upset about someone, that they know nothing about, receiving help.

There are companies that receive government help (subsidies, tax breaks, incentives) at they same time they post billion dollar profits.Yet there is no outrage over corporate welfare.

Walmart made almost $30 billion in profits last year; and the US government subsidizes an average of $1,000,000 per store, in order to pay Walmart workers food stamps and other benefits - due to the poverty wage the company pays its workers.

This is beyond shameful.

Yet, folks would rather insult a poor single mother who is only trying to feed her family. Disgusting.

willie7
willie7 07/24/13 - 03:50 pm

Thank you specta for your honest commentary about people who receive food stamps. 55% of people receiving food stamps work.
Yes, they are some leeches as with other programs , but they are in the minority.
The most leeches found are in the Medi-Care and Medicaid programs. Medical equipment providers, nursing homes owners, medical doctors--
This is where many leeches and fraud cases are found. It is a pity some people don't read and research topics before making negative statements-
Many of the blogger posting here get their information from Fox news, the number one propaganda machine.

Young Fred
Young Fred 07/24/13 - 03:56 pm
What’s “disgusting” is those

What’s “disgusting” is those that would enable addicts.

I don’t believe anyone here would label Twaa a welfare addict.

Corporate welfare is a whole other issue. There’s certainly a case to be made about political pay backs and pay offs. Definite waste involved with some Corps, but I wouldn’t use Walmart as an example.

KSL
KSL 07/24/13 - 04:51 pm
So correct, YF

Specsta, Walmart does not set minimum wage levels, Congress does, and the government cannot dictate to anyone how many hours people have to hire people for. Thank goodness.

Oh, and blame Congess for corporate welfare. Don't blame the corps for lobbying for it. Check it out. Obama is not guiltless in the cororate welfare problem.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/24/13 - 04:45 pm
Are people forced to work at

Are people forced to work at Walmart?

KSL
KSL 07/24/13 - 04:57 pm
Nope

They are not forced to curtail their education ecxcept by personal choices, decisions, or unluckey circumstances.