Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

THIS IS TO THE commissioners. How about y’all come clean the trash cans? Maggots are coming out of the top of the trash cans and flies are getting worse.

THIS IS FOR the red sedan speeding through the red light July Fourth high noon at the intersections of Georgia Avenue and Martintown Road in North Augusta. In case you’re still preoccupied with your selfish distractions, you came close to taking my life and possibly yours because you don’t take your driving seriously enough to give it the attention it deserves. If that close call we encountered doesn’t get your attention, then you won’t see the next one coming. I just hope the other driver doesn’t pay for your mistake, like I almost did.

RANT FOR ALL these people walking around with their pants down. I am 72 years old and all I can tell you is that this nation has regressed hundreds of years backward since I have been here.

IS IT JUST ME or is customer service improving at retail stores? A big rave to Erika at the Bobby Jones Lowe’s and to Lloyd at the South Augusta Lowe’s for resolving a messed up Internet order. Your managers should be proud to have dedicated employees such as you. My faith in retail service is slowly being restored.

THE OBAMA CROWD has struck again. This time Fort Gordon. They blocked the entrances to the fort to create a problem to show how much the sequester is hurting. Maybe they gave the wrong employees a furlough .

BEFORE WE GET too comfortable with the federal government delving deeper and deeper into our daily lives with the excuses of “security” or “fairness” or “political correctness,” we had better be aware that precedents are being established by this administration that will only be expanded by future presidents.

WHEN ARE PEOPLE going to wake up to the fact that if someone approaches you in the parking lot of some shop and offers you a large sum of money if you withdraw money from your bank to show that you are responsible then you should know that this is a con job?

WHY DID I GET a new garbage bin since the other one was in excellent condition? Another example of wasting our tax dollars. By the way, the new recycling bin I just got a few weeks ago has a wheel that falls off once the bin collectors drop it on the ground. Where is the quality in the products of today?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/22/13 - 11:51 pm
It isn't just you, I've

It isn't just you, I've noticed the same trend at all retail, including food service. As someone mentioned in another thread recently, Chik-Fil-A seems to have the most competent staff, and most courteous as well; but the others are doing a LOT better than they were 10 years ago.

"IS IT JUST ME or is customer service improving at retail stores?"

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/23/13 - 04:01 am
Honestly, I can't remember

Honestly, I can't remember the last time I've had poor customer service anywhere.

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/23/13 - 05:23 am
Comcast. Comcast. Comcast. No service.

Comcast. Comcast. Comcast. No service.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 07/23/13 - 06:44 am
TO the 72 year old man sick of sagging pants

I hope you're not one of those old men who wear their pants halfway up your chest. I can't think of which one looks more silly.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/23/13 - 07:05 am
Dirty Garbage Can Rant

I'm just glad the ranter with the dirty garbage can didn't call 911 to get it cleaned.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/23/13 - 07:13 am
Lysol & windex

Spray the can from top to bottom....easy-peasy.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/23/13 - 07:15 am
shrimp my man

One day you will be this ole guy....:)

You will probably have a diaper on too! :)

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/23/13 - 07:23 am
Dang..I won't sleep tonight

I just read that Kanye West won't play in Florida...he will boycott the place...now raise your hand if you are just as heart broken as I am...

They must think they are SOMETHING ELSE!!

He probably will take the mike away from JZ.....I would like to see THAT! Kinda think he would get a behind whupping if he ever did,

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/23/13 - 07:27 am
So sorry RM & itsanotherday

Also heard this am that Taco Bell will stop serving kid's meals & toys....that is another heart jerker.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 07/23/13 - 07:31 am
Arby's also has great CS

McDonalds not so much and they tend to let the young men wear the droopy drawers. Maybe it's just the 2 that I frequent. The one in NA between Ga Ave and Knox Ave. and the new one at Wheeler road.

Shortcomment
Shortcomment 07/23/13 - 07:39 am
Let them wear their pants below their butts

it makes it easier to profile and sort out problems on the streets.

allhans
allhans 07/23/13 - 07:55 am
The Burger King and McDonalds

The Burger King and McDonalds near Augusta Mall..
Oh My!

JRC2024
JRC2024 07/23/13 - 08:03 am
Big deal on Kayne West. I

Big deal on Kayne West. I hate rap crap anyway. It is degrading music.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 07/23/13 - 08:12 am
Sagging

If I walk into any place where the employees pants are sagging down or their underwear is showing, I walk out. I won't spend my money there. If they're constantly pulling up their pants, where else have their unwashed hands been before touching your food???? Franchise Owners and Managers take note!! I'm not the only person with this question!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/23/13 - 08:11 am
We are so upside down in this country

In paper this am

Lady Gaga made 80 million in 2012...next Justin Bieber..then Taylor Swift......I'm gagging..

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/23/13 - 08:13 am
TOP headlines in AJC

Food stamp use DOUBLES in Ga...we were 15th & now we are 6th in US.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/23/13 - 08:31 am
"I just read that Kanye West

"I just read that Kanye West won't play in Florida."

Hilarious. As you say, I'm sure most Floridians are just heartbroken.

dstewartsr
20394
dstewartsr 07/23/13 - 08:33 am
"Food stamp use DOUBLES in Ga..."

The race to the bottom continues, driven by the (D) Party -- presumably, the (D) stands for DEPENDENCY.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/23/13 - 08:36 am
True or not..IT IS FUNNIE

Having her hair done at a Dallas beauty parlor, a Woman told a cautionary tale about racial prejudice. The story deserves a wider audience.
On a recent weekend in Las Vegas, the woman related, she won a bucketful of quarters at a slot machine. She took a break from the slots for dinner with her husband in the hotel dining room. But first she wanted to stash the quarters in her room.

"I'll be right back and we'll go to eat," she told her husband and she carried the coin laden bucket to the elevator. As she was about to walk into the elevator she noticed two men already aboard. Both were black.

One of them was big... very big... an intimidating figure. The woman froze.

Her first thought was: These two are going to rob me. Her next thought was: Don't be a bigot, they look like perfectly nice gentlemen. But racial stereotypes are powerful, and fear immobilized her. She stood and stared at the two men.

She felt anxious, flustered, ashamed. She hoped they didn't read her mind, but knew they surely did; her hesitation about joining them on the elevator was all too obvious. Her face was flushed. She couldn't just stand there, so with a mighty effort of will she picked up one foot and stepped forward and followed with the other foot and was on the elevator.

Avoiding eye contact, she turned around stiffly and faced the elevator doors as they closed. A second passed, and then another second, and then another. Her fear increased!

The elevator didn't move. Panic consumed her. My God, she thought, I'm trapped and about to be robbed! Her heart plummeted. Perspiration poured from every pore.

Then ... one of the men said, "Hit the floor." Instinct told her: Do what they tell you. The bucket of quarters flew upwards as she threw out her arms and collapsed on the elevator carpet. A shower of coins rained down on her. Take my money and spare me, she prayed. More seconds passed.

She heard one of the men say politely, "Ma'am, if you'll just tell us what floor you're going to, we'll push the button." The one who said it had a little trouble getting the words out. He was trying mightily to hold in a belly laugh.

She lifted her head and looked up at the two men. They reached down to help her up. Confused, she struggled to her feet. "When I told my man here to hit the floor," said the average sized one, "I meant that he should hit the elevator button for our floor. I didn't mean for you to hit the floor, ma'am." He spoke genially. He bit his lip. It was obvious he was having a hard time not laughing.

She thought: My God, what a spectacle I've made of myself. She was so humiliated to speak. She wanted to blurt out an apology, but words failed her. How do you apologize to two perfectly respectable gentlemen for behaving as though they were going to rob you? She didn't know what to say. The 3 of them gathered up the strewn quarters and refilled her bucket. When the elevator arrived at her floor, they insisted on walking her to her room. She seemed a little unsteady on her feet, and they were afraid she might not make it down the corridor. At her door they bid her a good evening.

As she slipped into her room she could hear them roaring with laughter while they walked back to the elevator. The woman brushed herself off. She pulled herself together and went downstairs for dinner with her husband.

The next morning flowers were delivered to her room - a dozen roses. Attached to EACH rose was a crisp one hundred dollar bill. The card said: "Thanks for the best laugh we've had in years."

It was signed,
Eddie Murphy and Bodyguard

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/23/13 - 08:41 am
CBBP

You make a good point. If they don't have enough self respect and pride to dress appropriately for work, I don't imagine hand washing and hygiene are high on the list either.

As for others' experience, I normally do any fast food buying around ColCo, and little of that with the exception of Subway.

dstewartsr
20394
dstewartsr 07/23/13 - 08:40 am
Not on the agenda

... of course, but now that The Obamessiah has had His trial of Zimmerman for killing Martin in 2012, what about the Fort Hood killer from 2009?

An English friend of mine opined that it was perhaps because none of the victims resembled him-- they were, majority white and serving their country honourably, two things He cannot identify with-- that He will run out the clock and pardon Hasan as He leaves the throne.

dstewartsr
20394
dstewartsr 07/23/13 - 08:47 am
I must be going to all the wrong places

... as the service I've had has convinced me I become invisible from time to time.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/23/13 - 08:53 am
stewart

YOU are not invisible in the Post Offc....I have heard how nice you are..:)

BamaMan
BamaMan 07/23/13 - 09:31 am
Stinky trash

Our trash doesn't stink. All the foodstuffs goes down the disposal.

Shortcomment
Shortcomment 07/23/13 - 09:51 am
I love Mr. Wonders music.

But like many "Celiberalties" I wished they'd stick to their chosen art and stay out of politics and public policy.

They are performers, not public leaders.

Mr. Wonder has not been doing national concert tours for major cities since around 2009.

Young Fred
Young Fred 07/23/13 - 09:52 am
As a matter of habit, I lock

As a matter of habit, I lock my car doors every single time I enter or exit the vehicle. I've gotten more than a few nasty looks over the years. Imagine, people assuming that I'm making assumptions about them. That shoulder chip must get awfully heavy after awhile!

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/23/13 - 09:53 am
I need to ban this place

I have work to do & this place distracts me...where is my backbone....lol.
Anyway...have to mosey on down that dirt road of life....see yall.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/23/13 - 10:08 am
Even in a library..:(

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

The normal quiet of a northwest Atlanta library was shattered last week when two gunmen came in and robbed the library staff and patrons.

Seven people were in the Perry Homes branch of the Atlanta-Fulton County Public Library System on Bolton Road when the hold-up happened last Friday afternoon, according to Channel 2 Action News.

“I heard a woman scream and I looked around, and a guy said, ‘You know what this is, get on the ground. Don’t look at me,’” said Glen Fortenberry, who was at a computer when the robbers entered.

Fortenberry told Channel 2 that he turned around to find a gun pointed at his face.

“I went in my pocket and gave him all my change,” Fortenberry told the station.

“He said, ‘I know you got some dollars,’” Fortenberry said. “I said take it easy man. Be patient. I’m getting my wallet out now.”

Library employees told Channel 2 that the facility has no on-site security, and that a panic button that was supposed to alert police didn’t work.

No arrests have been made.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/23/13 - 02:20 pm
Bill O'Reilly went off on

Bill O'Reilly went off on Obama, Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton big time last night. It's a backlash. He called them out to tell the black community to be more responsible. It was pretty dramatic. I just saw the replay.

Sweet son
Sweet son 07/23/13 - 02:41 pm
@Riverman1

It is late in the day. You need to repost this one tomorrow!

Romney won't run

WASHINGTON - After a three-week flirtation with another run for president, Mitt Romney said definitively on Friday that he will not seek the White House in 2016.