Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

AUGUSTA PREP AND Augusta Christian are very small schools compared with the public schools in Columbia County, but they get an awful lot of space for their sports.

I JOIN THOSE WHO are raving about this year’s wonderful spring and summer weather in the CSRA: drought-ending rains, cooler temperatures, full lakes, fresher airs.

I SEE JOE WILSON was right when he called Obama a liar. The proof is in the last four years of him in office.

THE AIKEN LIBRARY is a joke. This place sounds more like a zoo or day care with all the noise.

RCBOE SHOULD LOOK at cutting the construction budget of many millions; it could save those jobs that they plan to cut!

PEOPLE AND businesses: Turn off your sprinkler system until we dry out.

I WORKED FOR the Corps of Engineers for 20 years, so I know how government agencies operate. It is unbelievable with all the warm bodies at Fort Gordon, they are not able to operate the gates at the fort! They, like the rest of the government, treat the American taxpayers like fools. We know they are playing games to inconvenience the public, so the small budget cuts will be canceled to return them to a steady flow of cash to waste. Get real, Fort Gordon!

WHAT HAPPENED TO the beautiful quilt that was hanging at Shepeard Commu­nity Blood Center in Evans? It was truly an inspiring quilt. Kudos to the quilter!

GLOBAL WARMING alarmists are like the people who flogged themselves and walked through the countryside wailing “the end is near.” They’re always with us.

RANT FOR ALL the people in our area who are blaming all this flooding on the Corps of Engineers. They didn’t make the rain.

PARENTS, PLEASE TRAIN your kids not to yell “help” and “I’m drowning” when they are playing at the lake.

MARTHA KING OF Au­gus­ta Cares, thank you so much for getting my trash problem fixed. You are wonderful.

TRASH: SOUTH CAROLINA seems to be full of litter critters. We need more litter critter getters.

I DO NOT THINK Scott Dean should have to stay in jail. That girl wrote a letter saying he did not do it. If it had been anybody else, they would be let go. I don’t think he is guilty.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/21/13 - 06:02 pm
Team Sports

A team is a team. They all have about the same number of players. They should all get about the same amount of press coverage.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/21/13 - 06:49 pm
Sunday's Letter to Editor

There was a letter about the Zimmerman/Martin affair that didn't get many comments. I call the letter writer's main point the Sharpton Doctrine. In a nutshell, the Sharpton Doctrine says:

Zimmerman should not have been stalking, so Martin had the right to punch his lights out.

Here is a link to the letter.

validPoint
validPoint 07/21/13 - 07:55 pm
So, what?

Following people and not identifying yourself is a form of intimidation. It is most difficult to believe that anyone would appreciate being intimidated although that evidently, based on many comments has become an acceptable practice...Should not be.

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 07/21/13 - 08:07 pm
They could just open the gates

... for all the security the overwhelmed guards provide. What they're doing now is not security.

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 07/21/13 - 08:09 pm
Corps of Engineers "They didn’t make the rain."

Nor do they have a notion of what to do about it now, nor what to do when there was no rain.

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 07/21/13 - 08:12 pm
"Augusta Prep and Augusta Christian

... get an awful lot of space for their sports."

Low peasant to prince ratio.

Duh.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/21/13 - 09:00 pm
Recanting

I'm not talking about any specific case, but I'm reminded of a Barry Paschal column. There are a large percentage of women who were the target of sexual crimes that recant, not because they made it up, but due to the emotional stress it causes. Lots of pressures of various kinds are applied to them to recant. The judicial system and law enforcement recognize this phenomenon.

corgimom
corgimom 07/21/13 - 09:42 pm
Riverman, you mean like his

Riverman, you mean like his daughter aging out of the foster care system and having nowhere to go? It was recant and come back to the mother's house, or live on the streets.

Nothing like a recanting under extreme coersion.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/21/13 - 11:07 pm
COE?

I'm not a fan, but their management of the excess rain has not been out of line. There are a whole lot fewer options to deal with excess water than there are to deal with not enough.

InChristLove
InChristLove 07/22/13 - 06:13 am
I would like ValidPoint to answer

Riverman1 made a comment/question on the link referred to by Little Lamb to ValidPoint that was conveniently left unanswered that I would ask VP to respond to now.

Riverman1 comment:

(VP stated) "I find it very hard to believe that if he was being beaten as severely as you all so vehemently believe, that he would have been able to reach around his back to his internal holster, pull it out, aim, and shoot. That I do not believe at all. "

Well, what do you believe? The PROSECUTION witness said he saw M on top of Z "grounding and pounding him." The forensic evidence said the gun was against the shirt, but several inches from the body when it was fired consistent with M leaning over Z.

Then there is the logic question. If Z had pulled his gun before the attack wouldn't he have shot from a further distance as M attacked? How did the witness then see the fight before the gunshot? Would M even attack a man holding a gun? See, none of that makes sense

Shortcomment
Shortcomment 07/22/13 - 06:34 am
MARTHA KING of Au­gus­ta Cares

I agree, without her at the helm of Augusta Cares, ARC would go to hell in a hand basket.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/22/13 - 06:59 am
ok one more time

corgi when you say this....
And the poverty in those countries are so bad, they come here to help support their families. I don't know if you've ever seen what it's like in Third World countries. We don't let dogs live in the conditions that those people do. Some of them don't live much better than they did 200 years ago.
----------------------------------------------------
Yes I have seen the very poor....while in Mexico riding to see ruins we passed homes that we could see through...only slats holding it together....but they had a huge tv sitting in the middle of the house....

I feel the pain of the poor...I have lived that life growing up....& I know you have too....

Here is the deal...we are heading down a spiral slope to the bottom....we can NOT continue to prop up all hungry folks...give jobs to all who need them....feed our own in this country.....crime has busted from the seams & I don't care what the stats tell people...when we have 15 incidents within 2 weeks in a area 6 miles from me I dang well know what the truth really is...

We need JOBS for the people here...desperately need jobs...if we just spent 1/4 the time on creating JOBS as we do talking about Zimm..we probably could solve some problems in the black neighborhoods.
imho

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/22/13 - 07:09 am
Same Here

SeenIt said, "...we passed homes that we could see through...only slats holding it together....but they had a huge tv sitting in the middle of the house...."

Hey, I see that often on Hwy 78 when I drive to Branchville.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/22/13 - 07:11 am
About You Know What

What’s frustrating is watching the frustration of those who can’t find facts to support the narrative they want to tell. As of 2013 there’s no way to bend reality.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/22/13 - 07:15 am
Welcome to Blackville

As you drive through the countryside on Hwy 78 into Blackville, there's a sign the symbolizes the poverty and wealth of America. The town proudly proclaims itself on signs to be "The Home of Troy Brown." Brown probably made enough money in his 15 year NFL career to have bought the town, but extreme poverty exists around that sign. Maybe he's a good example that there's a way out.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/22/13 - 07:35 am
Branchville-Blackville-Williston

Yeh..I would say you see many sights along that road...I don't know why some don't see the sights right here in the good ole USA...I have...I do remember going with a friend to see his parents....way back in the country, a small wood frame house along a dirt road...I was taken back some when we walked inside...dirt floors & sparse furniture of any kind...believe it or not, SOME won't ask for help even when they really need it.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 07/22/13 - 07:35 am
Jobs

We have jobs available, but, most of the people think those jobs are beneath them!!! Or their background or recreational habits make them unemployable. They prefer to hang out with their friends.. A lot of the people taking jobs in a customer service type job feel that the customer is bothering them.. They don't seem to grasp that the customer is the sole reason they have a job!! The most successful model of customer service is Chik-Fil-A. The worst are usually McDonalds and Burger King!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/22/13 - 07:40 am
When the bottom falls out

They will BEGG for those jobs....we are raising a bunch of "Get it from the Gov" types....never realizing the tax dollars can't hold up forever.....you know the Detroit retirees are in for a big awakening when their checks are slashed....they will have to cut back.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/22/13 - 07:50 am
Detroit today, Chicago

Detroit today, Chicago tomorrow, Atlanta and the rest of America?

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/22/13 - 07:58 am
We waste soo much money

So RM...what ideas do you have about this...I'm really interested.

We waste $$ on police control when we have marches--protests...just like we have just seen..
We waste $$ on 34 million dollar EMPTY buildings that won't be used..
We waste $$ on stupid decisions by gov know it alls & that goes for many governments not just the Augusta crowd..
We waste $$ on school decisions...some are just plain STUPID...I say go back to the paddling days.
On & on & On..

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/22/13 - 08:24 am
SeenIt, we start

SeenIt, we start by doing just what you did. Point out the problems. Someone in Augusta government has to tell the people to wake up. Tell them he’s not going to lie and say everything is fine. Let the people know Augusta is on the edge of fiscal calamity also.

The reality now is the black commissioners want to hire more and more county workers while the whites want to blow tens of millions on one cockamamie project after another appeasing the powers that be in Augusta.

As in Detroit, there are thousands of county employees and retirees who will be losing their income if Augusta fails and they could be the support needed to implement sound fiscal policies. These people can become the stewards of the spending especially so since they are involved in government. They will work in the community to push the idea of sound management. Every time a pie in the sky deal is brought up, have these people worried about their retirement and jobs say, “Wait a minute, how are we going to pay for it?”

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/22/13 - 08:32 am
I'm Losing It

A pop-up ad appeared on the right of my screen and for a minute I thought the Augusta National was looking for members. It says, "Join the Nation."

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/22/13 - 08:35 am
Twilight Zone

Some are living in it...haha

They also dream that I will send my $$ to them for safe handling!

At least I get to laugh a lot on here..:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/22/13 - 08:38 am
WHO WHO says the owl

Name 1 person in the Augusta Gov who has the you-know-what to tell the dang truth!

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/22/13 - 08:51 am
Augusta Fiscal History

The truth that none of the commissioners nor the Chronicle want to admit is Augusta has ALREADY gone bankrupt once. Remember DeVaney having to snatch the water department money to pay the bills? Actually he was pretty honest about it all. He said the city the size of Augusta couldn't afford to continue providing the services at the level it was doing. The problem is instead of cutting spending, he brought the county in to use THEIR money. It won't be long before that's gone too.

bubbasauce
20573
bubbasauce 07/22/13 - 08:58 am
Most all comments are good

Most all comments are good today so I don't really need to add anything. Have a great day everyone!

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/22/13 - 09:11 am
Liberals Ecstatic Obama Didn't Use Teleprompter

I find it hilarious how many times I've heard liberals saying Obama didn't use the teleprompter when he talked about the Zimmerman verdict. It's like they, too, doubted his ability to speak without the thing. Heh.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/22/13 - 09:31 am
Some also say

Well he hasn't had a shoe thrown at him like Bush did...well I say...just wait til Detroit cuts back on checks (they will have to) & Chicago also wakes up....you will see the gnashing of teeth & might see the ole shoe routine.

Nice talking toya Riverman....I have to get busy & take care of some problems right here....sometimes I wish the AC would give us our own column......:)

Young Fred
Young Fred 07/22/13 - 10:51 am
Liberals Ecstatic Obama Didn't Use Teleprompter

Now, that's funny!!! Some of these people don't even realize how they glaringly point out a truth about the man. Silly liberals! It would be comic relief of cosmic proportions if they weren't ruining this country!

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 07/22/13 - 11:18 am
I have a RANT

I think we should hold all the meteorologists accountable for all the rain we've had in June and July. We all know it's their fault. They could have made the sun shine if they had wanted to but NOOOOO they made it rain each and every day! We really need to tell them how we feel about al the problems we've had to endure during this 2 month monsoon. I suggest you contact your local meteorologist and tell them just how you feel.
By the way this is a joke so please don't listen to a word I've said!

Fire Department raises sought

The Augusta Fire Depart­ment will present a pay raise proposal for firefighters and administrators to the county’s public safety committee Monday.