Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

RAVE FOR THE young man who gave my wife his place in the doctor’s office. My daughter was really sick, and he gave her his spot. I don’t know who he is, but God does. Thank you so much.

THE GARBAGE SITUATION is a continuing problem, but it is not going to get better with commissioners like Marion Williams, who defends people’s misuse of it. Everybody needs to recycle. Inner-city residents should not be exempt from decent practices just because they are inner city.

REGARDING THE baseball stadium in Project Jack­son’s plans, please report on how it will be financed without raising taxes in North Augusta or Aiken County. A referendum seems in order.

OF THE 532 MURDERS that took place in Chicago last year, many were children. Why aren’t people up in arms about the killing of children there? I don’t see any of our leaders addressing this issue. Maybe there are not enough political gains to get involved. Remember the killing of a child is a tragedy no matter where it occurred!

I JUST READ in your newspaper that some women are “swooning” over Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the younger of the Boston bombers. What a sick society we live in.

CAN ANYONE HONESTLY say Iraq is a safe place now that we left? Daily one reads in the paper of deadly attacks. The morning’s paper listed 38 dead across Iraq. What did all our troops die for since we did not solve anything? Of course our leaders have to say that the operation was a success.

A BENEFIT GOLF tournament for the Boys & Girls Club is going to apply for a temporary alcohol permit?

I HAD A REVISION on my knee replacement, and from the surgeon to the anesthesiologist to all operating nurses and doctors, to the ninth floor on Eisenhower, a super bravo. My care was great. Thank you.

IF THE CASE BETWEEN Zimmerman and Martin had been turned around and Martin had killed Zimmerman, there would be no demonstrations and nothing else heard about it.

RAVE FOR CHANNEL 12. They did a story on the deplorable conditions at Irvin Towers where the senior citizens live. It is a shame senior citizens have to come last and live in a place that is not fit.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/19/13 - 05:40 pm
A welcome change

Better R&R's today IMO. Nothing really to sink your teeth into and argue about! (aka debate :) )

Hat tip to the positive comments and, thumbs up with the negative.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/19/13 - 06:56 pm
Ranter #3

No one in North Augusta government nor in Aiken County government nor in Aiken County Board of Education has told anyone that the bonds used to build the stadium and the parking deck and the convention center will not raise your taxes. In fact, it is painfully clear that they will indeed raise your taxes. Bonds require these governmental entities to pay interest to the bondholders (which takes taxes); unless they declare bankruptcy like Detroit has done.

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/19/13 - 07:34 pm
Please view and describe the BASH MOB in the video.

Mentally write a Police Wanted poster.

Now according to many, of the left side of logic SHAME ON YOU.

Your description is racial profiling.

Why can't a Apple be called a Apple, if it is a Apple?

seenitB4 07/19/13 - 07:39 pm
seenitB4 07/19/13 - 07:45 pm
THIS DEATH

White teen shot to death in Charleston S C ...

DO YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT THIS DEATH!!

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/19/13 - 07:50 pm
KUDO's to Sheriff Roundtree and the RCSO Deputies.

Sure I sink my teeth into him once in a while.

But after 6+ months in office I must admit, although I disagree from time to time with some of his comments and actions. The RCSO under his watch has been actively more responsive to the South Side calls.

My last call had Deputy Allen Moffet in my driveway in under 6 mins.
14 mins quicker than the norm, under Sheriff Strength watch.

Also :
I don't know if he had a talk with the 911 group, but it trimmed its extended list useless questions down considerably.

seenitB4 07/19/13 - 07:54 pm
I'm totally disgusted with the news media

Pick & choose whose death is important...get national attention for some & others are forgotten..pathetic money grubbing mongrels.

seenitB4 07/19/13 - 07:55 pm
Keep this in mind

The real news has been swept under the rug for days...

seenitB4 07/19/13 - 08:04 pm
Swooning over the bomber

Sick bunch of people..if they had been standing near the bomb their legs would have been blown off too....do they think he would look out for them...

Now...I'm in a mad mood..I will leave & do something to improve it...

corgimom
corgimom 07/19/13 - 09:10 pm
I do not give a flip if

I do not give a flip if everybody in Chicago shoots everybody else.

I no longer know anybody in Chicago, I haven't been there in over 20 years, it was terrible back then, I can only imagine what it's like now.

It's a huge drug place. Huge. It makes Augusta look like finger-painting time at pre-school.

If you were in Chicago, you would see why they shoot each other. Chicago, Detroit, not much difference.

They had 184 homicides through June 30. In the 2010 census, they had about 2.7 million people, 13 times the Augusta population. They have a poverty rate of 21%, or about 567,000 people living in poverty. When you look at that number, the homicides become more understandable.

corgimom
corgimom 07/19/13 - 09:13 pm
seenit, I spent yesterday on

seenit, I spent yesterday on the phone arguing about a doctor bill to a woman who is ESL.

It did NOT go well, but by the time I was done- having had to speak to a supervisor, who did speak English- she finally figured out that had they done what I told them do in April, they would've had their money 3 months ago.

I wanted to drink an entire bottle of booze after I was done. Straight up.

Darby
Darby 07/19/13 - 09:13 pm
"OF THE 532 MURDERS that took place in

Chicago last year, many were children. Why aren't people up in arms about the killing of children there?"

Is that question rhetorical? If not then I'll venture an answer.

It just might be because the well worn explanation, blaming "White Privilege" or "racial profiling" would be a poor fit for their narrative.

Sweet son
Sweet son 07/19/13 - 09:21 pm
Seenit is right!!!

As Seenit said the whole thing is just disgusting and I don't even say what the topic is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/19/13 - 09:56 pm
Boom, Boom, Boom

I'm hearing the booms from the military exercise at Stevens Creek Dam as I type. It started out like a fireworks show, though with shorter intervals between the booms. But then it got quite a bit louder than fireworks.

Cool!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/20/13 - 01:17 am
A question for

the folks who claim illegal immigrants are doing jobs Americans won't do.

I recently spent some time in Northwest Montana. I didn't see any hispanic or foreign looking folk, period. Who are doing those menial or laborious jobs? Citizens of Montana are who. Why is that, if Americans are averse to doing low level work? Restaurant and lodging prices were a tad higher than here, but not by much. I would gladly pay a little more to employ Americans instead of illegals, who eventually leech off the social service systems and send a lot of their money back home rather than spend it here. Turning a blind eye to illegal immigration is a fool's folly.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/20/13 - 03:31 am
The Marines Have Landed

The exercise at Stevens Creek is the second exercise by Marines in the area in the past few months. The last one was at the lake. It is strange for military units to train in the civilian community instead of on military reservations. It's also strange that Marines are even in this community when there are no real Marine combat units in the area. It's kind of bizarre. I wonder what's going on?

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/20/13 - 04:16 am
N. Augusta Stadium TIF

Tax incremental financing (TIF) districts rely on market growth, but if the growth doesn’t occur the government has to pay from other funds or issue additional bonds to service the debt. The proposed funding of the North Augusta stadium using a TIF is unique and interesting. It has worked in some places, but it has also been abused and unsuccessful in others. Besides the problem of the growth not happening, there’s also the possibility the growth and increased property valuations would have occurred anyway, but the taxes generated will not go to local government and schools.

seenitB4 07/20/13 - 05:45 am
While we are spinning in circles in USA

Many people around the world believe China eventually will eclipse the U.S. as the world's preeminent superpower, but they aren't happy about it, a new survey by the Pew Center shows.

About 47 percent of those surveyed in 39 countries said China will surpass or already has surpassed the U.S. In only six countries did the majority say that China would never surpass the U.S., according to the Pew Center, which published its survey Thursday.

seenitB4 07/20/13 - 05:52 am
Where is our behind

We couldn't find our behind even if someone handed it to us.....I thought at one time we could but nahhh not any more....we are too race baited in this country to move forward....we have had many deaths in the last month but if you watch tv news you only see ONE DEATH...

We can't think for ourselves anymore ...the media has to tell us what is on the agenda...week after week they decide what the next "IMPORTANT" subject will be.....they look at us as Jerry Springer types...& by golly we fit the picture.

Btw..other countries see us like that too....we don't need public schools anymore....nothing there for the children....let the media GODS determine our future.

seenitB4 07/20/13 - 05:58 am
Bankruptcy

Detroit is a huge bankruptcy...huge....many could lose pensions & any value they have had in their homes.....this could happen in other big cities....if it does we could see a spiral of loss we have NEVER seen before......while we are worried about a case in Florida & the news is obsessed about it ----the violin is playing & Rome is burning.........so whattta say....we will just party til the flames lick our behinds...wow..

seenitB4 07/20/13 - 06:11 am
What they should rally about today

Get the dang jobs back....put our people to work..

Make education #1 in the poor neighborhoods.

Bring mentors in the poor areas of town every weekend.

Give Roundtree the help he needs to change young teens.

nahhh you won't see that on the news.

seenitB4 07/20/13 - 06:17 am
This name is important too

Antonio West....the baby shot in the head in Brunswick Ga.

Think about him today....he wasn't racist ...you can't get more innocent than that baby.♥♥♥I will think about him.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 07/20/13 - 07:32 am
Sean

FYI - the box to sign in has gone nuts - I'm already signed in, but box is still popping up. When I try to sign in box closes and then pops up again, but won't let me sign in. I'm running after it and can't catch it and haven't even had a Bloody Mary yet!

seenitB4 07/20/13 - 07:56 am
Hey...bet ya didn't see this on news..

Click2Houston:

Hundreds of people marched in protest to the George Zimmerman verdict on Monday.

“No justice, no peace,” they yelled as they walked from the Byrd Funeral Home in the 2500 block of Wheeler to the Southmore Street overpass bridge near Highway 288.

Just after 7p.m. Monday, the demonstrators spilled out onto the road and blocked traffic for about 15 minutes.

“I looked up and I see all the protesters, they’re everywhere,” said Georgia, who asked that her last name not be used. “So, we got into the traffic and they’re stopping us and not letting us go.”

Georgia was on her way to Texas Children’s Hospital in the Medical Center because her 7-year-old granddaughter was having an allergic reaction to some medication.

Georgia’s daughter was driving and tried to go around the demonstrators by driving on the grassy shoulder.

“One of them was hitting the windshield and I was just screaming, ‘We’ve got to get to the hospital,’ and they were screaming and chanting,” she said. “All I could think of was, I got to get my granddaughter to the hospital.”

“My mom rolled down the window,” said Georgia’s daughter. “She said, ‘We’re trying to get my granddaughter to the hospital,’ and a guy just started hitting her.”

seenitB4 07/20/13 - 07:57 am
Reps are you ready to vote now

Can you say GET OUT THE DANG VOTE..

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 07/20/13 - 09:06 am
Sean

Y'all have no record of me - I've only been in these parts and getting a paper in my name for about 25 years - gotta go figure this out! No newspaper - no on line access.

bigj706
bigj706 07/20/13 - 10:30 am
Seenit good morning, lets be

Seenit good morning, lets be even across the board. The same thing happens with kidnapped victims there are a ton but they only talk about the little sweet ones that will catch your eye and its been going on forever.

seenitB4 07/20/13 - 10:34 am
I agree bigj

About kidnapped folks...pretty blondes get attention ...that leaves me out..:)

I wish the Pres would talk about crime..it really has gotten out of hand....even ole Hank has been hit....after this post I'm aking a break bigj....I'm tired today....the news ain't what it could be..

ATLANTA — Atlanta police are investigating the burglary of baseball great Hank Aaron's Atlanta home while he and his wife Billye were away.

A police report obtained by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution ( ) says the 79-year-old Aaron missed a call from his alarm company Sunday night and asked a neighbor to check on his house Monday morning. The neighbor saw a broken window and called police, and officers arrived to find two BMWs missing from the garage and closets that had been ransacked. http://bit.ly/1dKoZeG

Jewelry and car keys were the only other items taken.

Police have located both vehicles and said they expect to make an arrest soon.

A Mobile, Ala., native, Aaron played from 1954 to 1976 for Milwaukee and Atlanta.

As an Atlanta Brave, Aaron broke Babe Ruth's record of 714 career home runs on April 8, 1974. His home run record of 755 home runs stood for nearly three decades.

bye for now

dichotomy
dichotomy 07/20/13 - 11:07 am
I see Obama stirred the pot

I see Obama stirred the pot again. As long as he can keep his easily led followers and the lamestream media stirred up about the Zimmerman case they aren't talking about the IRS, Benghazi, the DOJ, Obamacare, unemployment, the budget, etc.

Why doesn't Obama, or any other "justice for Trayvon" rioter even mention the fact that Martin sucker punched Zimmerman and was on top of him trying to beat him into a coma. Have you noticed that none of them address that. Why don't they talk about the fact that Zimmerman had not touched or talked to Martin until Martin circled around, confronted, nutted up, and sucker punched Martin.

And why don't they talk about the fact that Martin wasn't just walking down the street. He, for whatever reasons, appeared to be cutting between and snooping around houses. Zimmerman was quite right to be suspicious and watch him given the prior burglaries in the area.

If Martin had kept moving, he would still be alive. He chose to come back and confront Zimmerman. He chose to hit Zimmerman. Justice? Justice has already been done. It is a shame that Martin was killed....but given the same circumstances I would have, and still would, do the same thing.

Anyone has a right to keep a suspicious person in sight until they leave the area or the police ARRIVE. Following is NOT illegal. And just because someone is black, or any other color, that does not give them the right to punch someone and get on top of them and continue to hit them just because they are mad that someone is watching them.

I don't care WHAT happens prior to the assault......if you CHOOSE to escalate it and punch someone......you might get shot and rightfully so. That should be the message that Obama and everyone else should be putting out. Nobody has to take a whipping just because you are angry.....from a teenager or anyone else.

Martin didn't get shot because he was black....he didn't get shot because he was being watched......he got shot because he attacked someone. No weapon was pulled until that happened. And after that happened the shooting was legal....as it should be.

bigj706
bigj706 07/20/13 - 11:31 am
Seenit I would make a big

Seenit I would make a big ruckus if someone took you! But I agree its crazy. Dichotomy I don't see it as race baiting and its nothing really now to do with Zimmerman it about relation and how we deal with one another and its a perfect time to talk instead of lets swipe it under the rug until the next commotion happen maybe if more talking there would be less commotions. Just because everything is great for you doesn't mean it is for everyone else.

DaVitte slaying suspect still in Florida

A month after the slaying of 55-year-old Bill DaVitte, suspect Daniel Nelson Robinson, 21, remains in a Jacksonville, Fla., detention facility.