Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

RANT TO FORT GORDON. The furloughs have closed gates 2 & 3, forcing me to spend two hours, 20 minutes crawling from Robinson Avenue to Gate 1, and I could not help but notice that there was an MP sitting at Gate 2 making sure no one slipped past.

RANT TO Richmond County Board of Edu­cation. Why do students that attend summer school not pay? Tax­payers are paying for the teachers, lunchroom staffers and bus drivers along with the fuel for the buses, and I see only a couple of students on these buses. The parents of these students should pay and find a way to get their child to school.

HATS OFF TO the dealer section of the Richmond County tag office. They are the nicest ladies ever. When I drop off my titles to them they are very nice, we always have a short, sweet conversation and I’ve never had any problems from them. They walk me through all the changes that happened March 1, and still to this day help me when I need it. Great job.

RANT TO WJBF’S putting GRU President Ricardo Azziz on to introduce the best of the Class of 2013. If this is supposed to improve his image, it is not working. After what he did changing the name of Augusta State University, the best thing he could is get out of town. I am sure there are many Augusta natives who would be glad to buy the plane ticket.

RANT TO THE PEOPLE who use their trash cans as decoration in front of their house. It takes curb appeal to a new low. Close the lid and put it somewhere on your property out of sight.

LESS GOVERNMENT involvement and more personal responsibility. We are the result of the decisions we make. If you don’t want to be around cigarette smoke, choose not to be. Stop whining.

RANT TO THE SHERIFF’S office for not enforcing the law about fireworks that are against the law in residential neighborhoods. Columbia County tickets violators, but Richmond just watches the illegal display.

SHERIFF RICHARD ROUNDTREE wants to close Riverwalk Augusta after dark for safety. Better close the East Boundary area, too, and the Laney-Walker area. And the Sand Bar Ferry area. Why not just close all of Augusta. You have armed deputies. Use them!

mrsbras
mrsbras 07/16/13 - 05:44 pm
Summer School

The parents do pay for there children if they must attend summer school.The price is 250.00 for every class they must take.Now if your child goes to a title one school other agencies pick up the tab.Also NOT EVERY CHILD THAT GOES TO SUMMER SCHOOL COMES FROM A TITLE ONE SCHOOL.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 07/16/13 - 05:58 pm
"Hats off to the dealer section

...of the Richmond County tag office. They are the nicest ladies ever."

So THAT'S where they put anyone without an attitude problem!

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 07/16/13 - 06:01 pm
"... trash cans as decoration

... close the lid and put it somewhere on your property out of sight."

Make you a deal: You empty it at least once weekly and I'll move it back out of sight the days in between.

You first.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/16/13 - 06:24 pm
Summer Busing

Mrs. Bras: The main point Ranter #2 was making was that school buses should not provide summer school transportation. The schooling is either for getting ahead purposes or catching up purposes. In both cases, parents or guardians should arrange transportation, not taxpayers.

cgaines85
cgaines85 07/16/13 - 06:56 pm
Paying for summer school

As I mentioned yesterday to a similar "rant":

When you see a bus transporting students during the summer, you cannot make the assumption that they are attending traditional "summer school." Traditional summer school is paid for by the students' parents and other programs are the result of special grants, not regular BOE funding. These "other programs" are most often enrichment programs, not remediation programs. Furthermore, some students attend summer school to get ahead and take classes that they do not normally have time for if they are pursuing multiple tracks/vocations/fine arts.

Funding for these "special" programs comes from the federal government and these funds include the costs of transportation, especially to Title I schools. It is unfortunate that some of these "special funds" go to waste when some parents choose not to make their children attend the programs that they signed up for. A school might have over 100 students signed up for an enrichment program, however after many calls and reminders, only half of those attend because their parents deem it important enough. By then, the program has already been approved and funds dispersed.

dichotomy
dichotomy 07/16/13 - 07:30 pm
You know, I don't care which

You know, I don't care which government agency pays for summer school, it's still MY tax money. And I am glad to hear that some parents DO pay for their little darlings to go to summer school. I don't think taxpayers should have to pay for these little snots to get a second whack, and a wink and a nod passing grade, for a course they refused to work at passing the FIRST time I paid for them to take it. Let the parents pay for it and transport them to and fro, and if they can't, invite the young geniuses to repeat the grade/course NEXT year.

corgimom
corgimom 07/16/13 - 08:33 pm
Dichotomy, you must have had

Dichotomy, you must have had an extraordinary life, that you learned every single thing, as soon at it was presented. I didn't.

I skipped two grades and was 16th in my class of 541. Even with that, I struggled with calculus and dropped it in high school, I was failing it. I understood nothing about it.

I wore glasses. I had the same glasses at 15 that I had at 11.

Later that year, I got new glasses.

In college, I tried it again. I struggled with it for six weeks, then one day it made sense.

I went on to take 5 semesters of calculus, got a 2 year degree in math, nearly got a 4 year degree in math, got 3 business degrees, including a masters.

I am so glad that I didn't give up. I am so glad that I took it again, mastered it the 2nd time, grew to love it. I am so glad that I got a 2nd opportunity to take it. I feel certain that a major part of the problem the first time around is that I couldn't see well.

We are talking about children. CHILDREN. Children, who are still growning and developing, children who do not grow at an even pace.
Children who sometimes have a bad teacher, sometimes are in a classroom full of low students, sometimes in a classroom where there is a child with serious problems, that demands the teacher's attention. Children who sometimes have vision problems, hearing problems, or is seated next to a child that distracts them, and affects their ability to learn. Children who sometimes are ill for part of the year, have family issues for part of the time.

The kids that go to summer school are the ones you want to focus on. They are the ones that aren't lazy. They are the ones that want to try, that want to learn, that haven't given up. They are the ones who don't want to be the bottom of the class, who want to achieve. They are the ones who would rather go to school in the summer than play. They are the ones that want to strengthen their skills.

And it would be foolish to pay for a child for another year of school when they only require one course. Who would think that was cost-effective by any means? If it's taxpayer dollars you're worried about, summer school is far cheaper than another full curriculum year.

I would like to point out to you, also, Dichotomy, that not all students in summer school have failed their courses. Some are struggling, and just need a little more help to come to grade level. Why would you deny that? Why would you hold a child back a whole year because they are 2 months behind in a subject?

I guess according to you, I was a little snot that was taking a college-level course at age 15, that "I refused to work at." I refused it so much, that I voluntarily took it the next year, in college.

And I guess that the college gave me a wink and a nod and a passing grade, so that I could go on and get a 2 year math degree.

It is amazing that you think that every child that needs help is a little snot that refuses to work. That's some viewpoint.

So nice to see compassion and understanding for children. Children, who need to be educated to become taxpayers in the future, and so that we won't be paying for their prison stays and Section 8 for all of their adult lives.

But I guess you have considered that, Dichotomy.

cgaines85
cgaines85 07/16/13 - 08:42 pm
Dichotomy

Lol, well since the federal government only spends a fraction of YOUR tax dollars on education compared to all other expenditures, I guess you can go ahead and complain about how they spend the rest of YOUR money. "Shameeeee" on them for investing money in our education system, especially when our state governments are doing such a GREATTTT job at allocating funds!!!

Jake
Jake 07/16/13 - 09:24 pm
Not all summer school.....

.....is for children who have failed. My son is taking Algebra II this summer at the high school he will be attending next year so he can get a jump on taking Calculus. No buses involved, he walks. The dude is a whiz in math, unlike his old man who never understood the concept of x or y. I still have never needed to use x or y yet.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/16/13 - 09:59 pm
Sad, and dismaying . . .

I postponed commenting on this Associated Press article from the Tuesday print edition of the Chronicle. But now’s the time. Attorney General Eric Holder was making a speech to the 51st national convention of Delta Sigma Theta, the nation’s largest black sorority. Here’s an excerpt:

Curt Anderson Associated Press WASHINGTON — Attorney General Eric Holder on Monday called the killing of Trayvon Martin a “tragic, unnecessary shooting” and said the Justice Department will follow “the facts and the law” as it reviews evidence to see whether federal criminal charges are warranted.

First, I must say that the shooting was indeed tragic. But, unnecessary? If George Zimmerman had found himself unable to defend himself from a fitter, stronger, Trayvon Martin (experienced fighter) as he found himself decked to the ground with a punch to the nose; then having his head repeatedly thrust into a concrete sidewalk by Trayvon Martin, until Zimmerman was beaten into a coma or unto death – – – would Attorney General Eric Holder have spoken to a black sorority to lament that the death or coma of George Zimmerman was unnecessary?

When you are trapped and being beaten, you must defend yourself. It is necessary! Eric Holder is pitiful. I'm sure he received a warm reception at that convention of the nation’s largest black sorority. And he will receive a warm reception in the afterlife.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/16/13 - 09:44 pm
Enhancement

Good to hear from you, Jake. You amplify my point that summer school is for students who need to make up a deficiency or for students who desire to enhance their academic credentials. In either case, they should provide their own transportation.

Young Fred
19382
Young Fred 07/17/13 - 05:20 am
Rant #5 - ie the trash can

Rant #5 - ie the trash can monitor

I would think that would get a rave for making a statement. With all that’s going on in the world – your trashcan fetish points to a fulfilled life, with little to complain about – you are truly blessed!

Young Fred
19382
Young Fred 07/17/13 - 05:25 am
“SHERIFF RICHARD ROUNDTREE…

“SHERIFF RICHARD ROUNDTREE… Better close the East Boundary area, too, and the Laney-Walker area. And the Sand Bar Ferry area… “

I’ll tell you like my supe told me the first and last time I worked for a union – what the heck are you trying to do? Work us out of a job?!

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 07/17/13 - 05:31 am
decorations??

Come to my house and you'll find four containers proudly displayed right next to the house right out front where my tax paying _____ wants to put them.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 07/17/13 - 05:33 am
Cameras

Who is gonna sit there and watch a camera screen? Sounds like easy (go to sleep) duty to me.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 07/17/13 - 05:35 am
cameras

They should put the cameras online just like the traffic cams are. We are paying for them. For that matter, police dash cams should go online too. We pay for them too right????

Young Fred
19382
Young Fred 07/17/13 - 05:38 am
dichotomy is exactly

dichotomy is exactly right!

If some students need extra help, their parents can help or they can repeat. If some students are on the fast track, they or their parents can foot the bill. Corgimom, when little jr needed a little extra help with algebra – you should have set down with him and helped out. If it was beyond your, umm, “expertise” then it is up to you to hire a tutor or whatever, it is NOT the taxpayers place to help beyond the already dumbed down requirements (not saying your child is “dumb” just saying the expectations of our schools have been dumbed down).

Sending a bus on a 8 or 10 mile round trip to pick up one student is not efficeient.

There is ONLY SO MUCH you should expect from taxpayers – we are allready paying too much for substandered education – asking us to pay more because some can’t cut it, or some want more is asking too much. It’s high time people STEP UP AND TAKE RESPONSIBILITY for their own futures.

Or am I out of touch on this?

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/17/13 - 06:43 am
Trash cans in front

Yeh...I'd much rather see a big ole tire with flowers in it..or a few pink flamingos ......:)

justthefacts
justthefacts 07/17/13 - 06:45 am
9:33

That has to be a record for the use of the "I" key in one post!

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/17/13 - 06:46 am
Lost all control

I am amazed at some on tv last night.....this trial has brought out the meaness in many....some tv guests actually spouted spit while they were talking they were so out of control....shouting--face red---blustering gibberish....unbelievable.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/17/13 - 07:08 am
SeenIt said, "...some tv

SeenIt said, "...some tv guests actually spouted spit while they were talking they were so out of control....shouting--face red---blustering gibberish....unbelievable."

Haha...sounds like us commenting sometimes.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 07/17/13 - 07:10 am
9:33 one

Hahaha I agree!

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/17/13 - 07:22 am
Going to summer school

Going to summer school wouldn't be so bad these days since the cafeterias are giving free breakfast and lunch to kids in the summer.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/17/13 - 07:15 am
Corgimom, don't even utter

Corgimom, don't even utter "calculus" around me. I still have flashbacks of that torture in Mr. Jarvis' classroom. I'm like Maynard G. Krebs when he heard the word "work" when I hear it.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/17/13 - 07:20 am
Who who who

Who wants to serve on a high profile case now...raise your hand please...anyone....dang.

Don't be surprised if we have trouble finding capable jurors in the future..with threats of death & rape spewing on a daily basis.....or telling the jurors to just go home & kill themselves...geez....will that Falcons player PAY for that statement..??

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/17/13 - 07:26 am
I'd serve

I'd serve on a high profile case because there could be lots of money in it. Interviews and a book deal or something. But those kinds of cases only come along about once a decade. I actually want to get picked for the grand jury locally. I swear THAT jury would be in the paper for weeks from the things I would bring up and the way I would refuse to be managed by the DA and judge. A "Runaway Grand Jury" in the best sense.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/17/13 - 07:34 am
Interviews and a book deal or something.

Now that would be right up your alley..haha

Hang in there because the way the world is going you just might have your chance, sooner rather than later.
They might have to shut down your mike to get you to stop talking though....:):)

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/17/13 - 07:36 am
Pretend you are on P Morgans

What would you say to ole Morgan....I hope you wouln't be nervous & make the south look foolish...LOL

Young Fred
19382
Young Fred 07/17/13 - 07:48 am
Riverman1 – gasp – are you

Riverman1 – gasp – are you saying you wouldn’t allow yourself to be herded? I’ve got a better chance of hitting an inside straight on the river than you being picked for grand jury duty.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/17/13 - 07:48 am
Most of the commenters here

Most of the commenters here learned more about American government, history and politics by the third grade than British citizen Piers Morgan knows.