Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

A BIG RAVE TO the couple who drove by my house in Jones Creek and let me know that my pine straw was on fire, rang my door bell and called 911. I didn’t get your names but thank you, thank you, thank you.

HAS ANYONE ELSE NOTICED THAT even though the speed limit on I-520 drops 5 mph coming into Augusta from SC, cars speed up instead of slowing down? When is the new sheriff going to get his deputies on the stick and start enforcing traffic laws here? And when is Augusta going to start using the traffic cams to enforce laws?

A HUGE RANT TO drivers who tailgate. When you are traveling on a four-lane road there is no “fast lane.” There is a right and a left lane which the posted speed limit applies to both lanes. By the way, the posted speed limit on Riverwatch under the I-20 overpass is 35 mph.

I WITNESSED A KIND ACT by a North Augusta policeman on Five Notch Road. He stopped traffic in both lanes to allow two handicapped senior citizens cross the road on their motorized wheel chairs. There is still law enforcement that understands what protect and serve truly means. Kudos to you, young man.

SO, ALEC BALDWIN makes unacceptable comments towards homosexuals. Will he receive the same sort of public demonizing like Paula Deen did? I doubt it.

PRESIDENT OBAMA proposed voter IDs for people in a country in Africa. If it is OK in Africa why isn’t it OK in America?

REGARDING THE Augusta Gay Pride parade, etc. Coming out of the closet does not mean one has to go on stage. Leave me alone!!

JUST A SUGGESTION TO The Chronicle. Cut all the religious items. Use the savings of deleting “Your Faith” weekly sections and go back to the really well put together high school, college and NFL football sections at the beginning of football season that ran years ago.

RICHMOND COUNTY Board of Education is always having cuts due to the budget. School buses pick up students for summer school. There are only a couple of students on the bus, teachers for these students and lunchroom staff ­– all of this costing tax payers money. Why don’t the parents of these students that go to summer school have to pay and provide transportation for their children?

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/15/13 - 08:28 am
Corgimom, the feds set the

Corgimom, the feds set the speed limit on roads going under interstate highway overpasses? That doesn't seem right. 35 mph on Riverwatch?

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/15/13 - 08:29 am
Read this

And tell me would you be upset with the police if this happened in your neighborhood??

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/15/13 - 08:47 am
Anyone want to take bets

that Angela Corey, the special prosecutor in Zimmerman case lands a cushy job within 3 months after the next general election?

I am betting on a Federal DOJ Job in the Fla. / Miami area.

Any takers?

The Loser buys Sean and his wife a dinner.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/15/13 - 08:58 am
Speed Limit

I was wondering the same thing, too, RM. It doesn't make sense for the federal government to set speed limits on state and county roads running under interstate highways. For that matter, even though interstates are called federal highways and are largely funded with federal funds, it would seem to me that they fall under the jurisdiction of the states as far as mundane things such as right of way mowing and speed limit setting.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/15/13 - 08:59 am
Parting is such sweet sorrow.:)

But I'm starting to feel so full of myself right now...& I have the urge to post like this .......////////,,,,,,!!!!!-----*****$$$$@@@@<<<<<<<
soooo---leaving on the byebye train.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/15/13 - 09:01 am
haah

I nver dreamed that a * could bring on filtered word..lol

dichotomy
dichotomy 07/15/13 - 09:15 am
"As for summer school, many

"As for summer school, many of those children are special needs children who need to receive services year round."

No, a few of those children are special needs children.....MANY of them are little knotheads, pint sized criminals, and little disciplinary problem snots who have not had their bottoms popped enough. THAT is why they are in summer school...not because they are "special needs". They don't HAVE to attend summer school.....they can repeat the previous grade again. The TAXPAYER does their part by offering summer school......the parents can do THEIR part by getting them there and picking them up. And my guess is that the loving parents of TRUE special needs students will manage to do that.

I'm sorry. I am tired of coddling failure and lowering standards to the lowest common denominator. That is why we don't have enough money to give "special attention" to those who TRULY have "special needs". Our Politically Correct society now spends so much money on those who DO NOT deserve it that that cannot take care of those who TRULY need help.

We now EXCEL at doing everything somewhere just BELOW MEDIOCRITY. .

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 07/15/13 - 09:15 am
Since the maximum speed of 55

Since the maximum speed of 55 was abolished in 1987, ALL speed limits are set by the state and local laws.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/15/13 - 09:25 am
Good

Thank you, Angela.

Dudeness
Dudeness 07/15/13 - 09:54 am
I would say that the majority

I would say that the majority of tailgating that I see is directed towards someone who is already at or above the maximum speed limit.

daphne3520
daphne3520 07/15/13 - 09:51 am
#3 Huge Rant: Get in right hand lane and poke along all you

want. YOU are NOT a cop so if anyone wants to exceed the posted speed limit, myob!!!!!

corgimom
corgimom 07/15/13 - 09:56 am
seenit, Oakland has been bad

seenit, Oakland has been bad news, very bad news, for 50 years.

There is no amount of money that could induce me to set foot in Oakland. I'd rather go to Detroit than Oakland.

Oakland, home to the Black Panther Party, the SLA, Angela Davis, and every other violent, crazy, anarchist wackaloon. That place is terrible.

corgimom
corgimom 07/15/13 - 10:04 am
The road running under the

The road running under the freeway is Federal property, it's part of the Interstate. They have the jurisdiction over it.

When they buy the land for the Interstate, it doesn't just run up to a bridge, stop, and take up again on the other side of the bridge.

And Federal overrules state.

If a secondary road runs underneath it, with stoplights at the interchanges, it's 35 mph.

The Feds allow roads to be built under the bridges, but they get to set the rules in that interchange area.

It's a safety issue, there are cars slowing, stopping, and crossing from the Interstate. Accidents at interchanges back up traffic onto the freeway, which they don't want, and they don't want accidents under their bridges- it's easy to damage the bridge infrastructure, that's owned by the Feds- so they make that rule.

When you think about it, it makes sense. Which doesn't always happen with the Federal government.

Freeways were built as part of our national defense system, and that's the overriding concern. Shutting down a freeway for bridge repairs is costly and potentially dangerous, and they don't like to do that.

corgimom
corgimom 07/15/13 - 10:17 am
Dichotomy, no, I disagree. I

Dichotomy, no, I disagree. I worked in a school. I saw. I base what I say on 6 1/2 years of intensive work in an elementary school, that wasn't even a Title I school.

There are far more special needs kids in school today than you think. It is staggering. Because of NCLB, it's all about teaching the tests, and teachers just don't have the time any more to work with struggling students. Those kids now fall through the cracks.

These kids stick out like a sore thumb. They aren't just spoiled brats. They struggle, and yes, they have issues.

It makes no sense to pay for an extra year of school for a child when they only need a few weeks' extra help. That isn't logical, or appropriate.

This is now because of NCLB, the worst disaster to ever hit American education.

Some kids are only a little bit behind, or need help in just one subject. To make a child repeat a whole year for one subject- who would think that's a good idea?

People have no idea what NCLB and those miserable tests have done to schools. Dichotomy, while you are entitled to your opinion, I'm telling you, you are way off on this one.

Summer school doesn't do anything for spoiled brats, and that's not what it's there for. It's about academic help. And that's what you don't get.

I guess by your theory, my son should've repeated a year in high school because he struggled in Algebra. Who would think that would be appropriate or a cost-effective solution?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/15/13 - 10:23 am
"I see the DOJ is now

"I see the DOJ is now investigating other ways to drop the hammer on Zimmerman. Their original plan to wrongly jail someone for defending himself failed, so now it's on to plan B?"

Sharpton says because Zimmerman said: " ****ing punks. These ****oles. They always get away."; there is a civil rights issue.

"Who is "they"? Sharpton says. "They", Rev Al, are the criminal element that had been operating in the neighborhood. Had he been referencing blacks in particular, wouldn't he have said "thugs", that so many claim is a code word for black youth?

How pray tell, is referencing criminals as "*expletive* punk" or hole surrounded by a sphincter a civil rights issue? Yes he had anger in his heart, but there is not one shred of evidence that it was racially motivated. It was CRIMINAL motivated, and why can't people see that? Not once did he comment about Trayvon's ethnicity of his own volition. He said the suspicious person was black AFTER he was asked.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/15/13 - 10:36 am
NBC/MSNBC

I watch NBC a lot, as well as MSNBC. I like the NBC news/morning shows, and MSNBC does a lot of good documentary work.

However, in terms of bias, they make Fox look like amateurs. Just yesterday on Meet The Press, they continued using the picture of Trayvon Martin from 5 years ago. They are the ones who edited the 911 tape to make Zimmerman look guilty (he is suing and rightfully so).

During the trial, MSNBC carried a lot of it live. They would cut away for breaks and the host did everything he could to convince the audience of Zimmerman's guilt. The derision and sarcasm just dripped from his demeanor and words.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/15/13 - 10:55 am
It depends...

"Ok, if cops write more speeding tickets they should be out fighting real crime.

If they don't write speeding tickets then they aren't doing their job.

Well which is it."

It depends on which "camp" is commenting. Some, like me, want them to write tickets; just write them to people who are the REAL hazards on the road. You, as a truck driver, encounter them daily, if not multiple times a day. You can't catch them parked by the road.

Others think it is just a money-making operation.

I might add, a cop running radar slows down the pack for 1000 yards or so. A cop rolling down the highway slows them down for as long as he is present.

cgaines85
cgaines85 07/15/13 - 10:47 am
About Summer School

When you see a bus transporting students during the summer, you cannot make the assumption that they are attending traditional "summer school." Traditional summer school is paid for by the students' parents and other programs are the result of grants, not regular BOE funding. These "other programs" are most often enrichment programs, not remediation programs. Furthermore, some students attend summer school to get ahead and take classes that they do not normally have time for if they are pursuing multiple tracks/vocations/fine arts.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/15/13 - 11:41 am
Roddy White w/Falcons

It was stated that he posted last night that the jurors should go home & kill themselves...!!!! he has since recanted that ....now should he lose his job like P Deen did....have sponsors leave ....

we need to stop watching or get something in the south..the national media is a joke...

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/15/13 - 11:43 am
They don't want to see that..

It was CRIMINAL motivated, and why can't people see that?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/15/13 - 12:14 pm
Boortz

On his web site, Neal Boortz asked this question regarding the aftermath of the Zimmerman trial:

ARE THE RACE PIMPS THROUGH WITH ZIMMERMAN YET? Apparently not. 0bama has made it clear that he is going to use this case to further his attempts to disarm law-abiding citizens.

Little Lamb asked this question: Has Joe Biden disbanded his commission that was supposed to radically reduce gun violence in America? I guess he'll have to revive it.

InChristLove
InChristLove 07/15/13 - 12:30 pm
nocnoc, if I was a betting

nocnoc, if I was a betting person I might take you up on your offer. If what I read is correct....

Florida State's Attorney Angela Corey has been indicted by a citizens' grand jury, convening in Ocala, Florida, over the alleged falsification of the arrest warrant and complaint that lead to George Zimmerman being charged with the second degree murder of African-American teenager Trayvon Martin in Sanford, Florida.

Larry Klayman, a former U.S. Justice Department prosecutor, a Florida lawyer since 1977, and now the "citizens' prosecutor" who presided over the Ocala grand jury said this: "The Supreme Court has confirmed that the grand jury belongs to the American people, not the three branches of government. (504 U.S. 36, 48 (1992) (quoting United States v. R. Enterprises, Inc., 498 U.S. 292, 297 (1991)). By indicting Florida State Attorney Angela Corey, the people are exercising their God given rights, recognized by our Founding Fathers, to mete out justice when the political and legal establishment subverts the rule of law. Hopefully, this indictment will serve as a warning to the political and legal establishment that they are not above the law. Ironically, Corey will now be tried and likely convicted for her alleged crimes – which resulted in Zimmerman being charged under false pretenses, now coming home to roost during Zimmerman's on-going trial. Corruption cannot be tolerated, particularly by law enforcement officers who are elected by the people to serve their ends, not the law enforcement officer's political ends."

SB3
SB3 07/15/13 - 03:24 pm
ICL,

There is no such thing as a "citizens' grand jury" or "citizens' prosecutor". Klayman is a nutjob. Corey may face justice, but it won't be from that group.