Rants & Raves

Comments from readers.

THESE LATEST EFFORTS to manipulate the date of Augusta’s city elections, moving them from November to July, illustrates precisely why states like Georgia still need to be under Department of Justice scrutiny under the Voting Rights Act. It still has not learned after 50 years.

RAVE TO DR. DUIGNAN at Georgia Regents University. She is a diamond among gems and is the pinnacle of professionalism, compassion and knowledge. She is an Ivy League-caliber professor, and this area is beyond fortunate to be able to soak in her wise words and expertise.

COME ON, CHRONICLE. You can do better with news placement. The front page had a heartwarming article of a worthy person receiving a used car on the front page, while a much more newsworthy article of 19 firefighters tragically killed in action was buried on the back page.

THE PEOPLE AT THE driver’s license office sound like they need lessons in the legality of out-of-state and foreign paperwork. What do they mean, it doesn’t look official enough to them? Have they really reviewed all the years of different forms of foreign and non-Georgia birth certificates, licenses, etc.?

IN REFERENCE TO THE woman from Graniteville who was against our new stadium. You are not even from North Augusta, so the stadium will have no impact on you. There is no danger of a beautiful stadium or any new development going to Graniteville. Lots of North Augusta residents want the stadium.

WHY SHOULD OUR taxes go up because of the school board? Some of them might lose their jobs, but what does that have to do with us? The school board doesn’t do anything anyway.

AFTER MISSING THE trash pickup one week, the next week I had maggots in my trash can. I hope you will reconsider the once-a-week pickup.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. Let’s get off of Paula Deen. I don’t agree with the word she used 30 years ago, but let it go.

A SITTING PRESIDENT can travel anywhere he needs. At least, President Obama can be respected whereas the younger Bush just made up words to fall out of his mouth and inspire cringing and laughter.

Comments (59)

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/12/13 - 12:12 pm

Maggots

Maggots gots to eat, too!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/12/13 - 12:50 pm

Slander

The vicious, slanderous attacks against George Zimmerman in the prosecution’s closing arguments (both initial and rebuttal, but especially the rebuttal) are appalling. The prosecution should make his case with facts and logic, not by projecting speculations into the mindset of the accused. The judge should order a directed verdict of acquittal.

RunningMan
RunningMan 07/12/13 - 04:03 pm

OPEN YOUR EYES AND MIND!!!

"PEOPLE WITH THEIR pants down should be charged $25 every time you see their drawers. It is indecent exposure."

So I guess you will charge $50 for those with too much top and bottom showing as well. At least these guys are covered and not showing skin. Have you ever attended a college football game where young ladies are wearing no underclothes and a see-through garment, or wearing clothes so tight and short they cannot even walk or take a seat. What about those wearing pajamas out in public also. Open your eyes and see all and not just those wearing their pants too low.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/12/13 - 07:42 pm

The Zimmerman Affair

It’s obvious the trial has become a racial confrontation. Where is Emile Zola?

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/12/13 - 07:46 pm

Running Man

Running Man said, "Have you ever attended a college football game where young ladies are wearing no underclothes and a see-through garment, or wearing clothes so tight and short they cannot even walk or take a seat."

Man, and I thought I had a good time at Clemson games. What school do you follow? I want to go to their games.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 07/12/13 - 08:27 pm

You got it Runningman. You

You got it Runningman. You know what's up with that rant.

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 07/12/13 - 08:37 pm

"... The judge should order a directed verdict

... of acquittal."

Judge? What judge? I saw a racial attack dog prosecutor and an assistant prosecutor sitting where an impartial judge SHOULD be.

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 07/12/13 - 08:40 pm

"Why should taxes go up because of the school board?

... Some of them might lose their jobs... "

Never happen; teachers will get furloughed, custodians fired, but the office drones and the school board members will never miss a beat.

dwb619
dwb619 07/12/13 - 08:42 pm

North Augusta stadium

If North Augusta wants a new stadium, that's fine with me.
However, let North Augusta pay for it.

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 07/12/13 - 08:47 pm

"... Efforts

to manipulate the date of Augusta’s city elections..."

Nefarious! Maybe if elections were held at precinct set up at the welfare office on renewal day, you'd get a better turnout to balance the change in date.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/12/13 - 09:13 pm

"The judge should order a

"The judge should order a directed verdict of acquittal."

That ain't happening. The judge is clearly in the prosecutions corner.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/12/13 - 09:16 pm

Good points runningman. I

Good points runningman. I don't like the baggy pants, but I don't like the pj's and other fads any better.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 07/12/13 - 10:09 pm

@itsanotherday "That ain't

@itsanotherday "That ain't happening. The judge is clearly in the prosecutions corner."
Perhaps the judge is interested in seeing that justice is done.
I'm really not sure that stupidity deserves a life sentence in prison...but someone else certainly already got life taken away because of stupidity.

corgimom
19141
corgimom 07/12/13 - 10:39 pm

Gee, I went to a Georgia Tech

Gee, I went to a Georgia Tech football game a couple of years ago, and I didn't see anything like that. Boy, am I out of the loop.

corgimom
19141
corgimom 07/12/13 - 10:42 pm

So...tonight I went to a Sr.

So...tonight I went to a Sr. Citizens' dance at a Sr. Citizen Center.

There were maybe 200-300 people there. There was a country band.

The singer said, "Are there any rednecks in here?"

A huge cheer went up.

So he said, "OK, you rednecks, sing along with me," and proceeded to sing "I'm Proud to Be a Redneck From Gastonia" (you know, the song I'm Proud to be an Okie from Muskogee) . The entire room sang along with him.

And nobody thought it was hate speech. Imagine that.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 07/12/13 - 10:54 pm

Exactly, Corgi. It depends

Exactly, Corgi. It depends on the intent...and the interaction between the sender and actual or perceived receiver...a precise definition without the context will confound a person forever.

Augustaisdying
Augustaisdying 07/13/13 - 01:07 am

Richmond County School Board

Alex Howard, former pres., is as dumb as a brick, but more corrupt. Norman Hill, HR head, has consistently ignored the researched input from highly paid, very competent, employees pulled in a couple of years ago to help out in HR. From a very solid source, who was one of the ones paid but ignored, Norman Hill constantly showed nepotism by hiring friends of the system, while ignoring the vetting done by those hired to do that very job. Now, they are spending big money on software to help out HR, at the same time they are laying off and furloughing people. This clown, and the current system, has to go.

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 07/13/13 - 05:24 am

Why is the paper shielding the name of the DA

... who took a trumped up case to a Grand Jury, then to court, knowingly cost thousands in fees and taxpayer dollars and put a man's liberty at stake to put one in the win column-- or worse, to save GRU from another lawsuit?

Too late for that. Can anyone see a case for malicious prosecution?

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/13/13 - 07:18 am

So let me understand this idea you have about July elections

Aren't you, yourself using a racist theory or stereotype that Blacks will not Vote in July, because they are too lazy to get out in the hot sun to vote?

What is wrong or racist about elections for a local offices separate from State or Nation elections?

Aren't you just spewing something the National Liberal Leadership has told you and you are repeating it without thinking? Aren't they just playing you by playing a race card?

WANT TO SCARE ANY NATIONAL PARTY?
Listen to all sides, dig into the facts, BUT Think for yourself.

In my case, I feel separating local from state or Nation would allow locals to run on what ARC needs. Verses, toeing a State or National Party hate speech mantra, that has nothing to do with fixing ARC.

allhans
21921
allhans 07/13/13 - 07:34 am

The Zimmerman case. To me it

The Zimmerman case. To me it is a case of two different people making wrong assumptions and it leading to tragedy. What we don't now need is another life being wasted.
Zimmerman used bad judgement and will never again be allowed to lead life as he once knew it, even if he is acquitted (as he should be).
A sad case that either man could have avoided....

I think the judge had her orders long before the trial began - can't have any unhappy people out front, you know.

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/13/13 - 07:46 am

Here is a Tax That I would support Fred Russell on.

A Saggy Pants tax/fine.
It has been done here in GA, and many North and South states.

While at it include Hip Wings and Pubic Pants way below the hips in the front.

Reading several such ordinance I see the normal fine is:
$50 on the 1st offense IF the person refuses to correct the problem on the spot for the duration of his or her public street appearance.

$100 on 2nd violation again IF the person refuses to correct the problem on the spot for the duration of his or her public street appearance.

$500/$1000/30 days jail time on 3rd violation, again IF the person refuses to correct the problem on the spot for the duration of his or her public street appearance.

Most of all it allows a LEO to stop a person with probable cause, which includes a pat-down for the safety of the officer during questioning.

OH! but the very 1st word out certain commissioners mouths would be RACISM. Dress decorum is not a racial thing, it is a societal norm and there for many reasons.

On many occasion I actually bust out laughing when I see a obviously over 30 y/o dude Saggin. Seriously do they own a mirror? For a 10-16 y/o yeah its a stupid fad. But for a grown up I just see a STUPID LOSER and laugh.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/13/13 - 07:41 am

What's up with that!

Why is it that a thread with 0 comments makes the most discussed??

Are machines running this paper......wondering---wondering--if you are wondering too.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/13/13 - 07:46 am

The trial the trial the trial

Is there ANYTHING else going on in the USA??

Zimmerman shouldn't have chased & Martin shouldn't have attacked....guilt on both sides...the end.

Now the baby in the stroller was just a baadd baby.....& guilty by all means...
Now the mother in her home needed a beating probably.....even if it was caught on nanny cam...

Nahhhh.....the last 2 events won't garner the attention of the masses...not enough red meat to distribute.........sometimes the media makes me sick! You are feeding the sick minds.

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/13/13 - 07:55 am

A Community Activist said - If Zimmerman walks Fla burns

WOW !
It seems some race baiting race card tossing people just want a cause and a Meal Ticket. They could careless about the incitement their word have, damages it will cause and the deaths that will result from the words.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT
A well know statistic taken from data collected over the Riot Years between 1960 and 1995.

Shows Rioters are many times more likely to be killed than those the Rioters were rioting against.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/13/13 - 08:02 am

YOU are not on the Supreme court--are you.

Yes....I think the Court was wise...they see it didn't help the end cause...changed Richmond county FOREVER though.....sad to see the winding down spiral....& it will continue with decisions of the commish.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/13/13 - 08:08 am

Get off P Deen you say...heh

Yeh...I agree...her bones have been picked clean....not enough meat left on there to worry about....on to the next victim.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/13/13 - 08:10 am

Baggy pants

I say let them keep them...Atlanta police just caught a thug because he couldn't run with his pants around his feet....lol

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 07/13/13 - 08:57 am

I haven't heard about Paula

I haven't heard about Paula Dean in a while until todays R&R LOL

internationallyunknown
internationallyunknown 07/13/13 - 09:48 am

Fight or flight?

I wish Zimmerman would have identified himself.
I wish Trayvon didn't walk to the store.
I wish Zimmerman never had his gun with one bullet in the chamber and a FULL CLIP.
I wish They would have fist fought until the police came.

Trayvon didn't go home because......would you lead a creepy person to your house?

Why did the screaming stop as soon as the shot was heard?

Zimmerman ALREADY had the gun out.

May Gods will be done I this case....as George Zimmerman has said....it's all is His perfect plan....

Augusta pensioners eye benefit increase

With an eye on the millions remaining in the city's oldest pension funds - its 1945 and 1949 plans - a handful of retired city and county employees are reviving a push to increase their monthly ...