Plant Vogtle worker dies

Friday, July 12, 2013 9:39 AM
Last updated 6:36 PM

A Plant Vogtle worker died Thursday after being taken to a Burke County hospital complaining of medical issues, according to Southern Nuclear and a U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission report.

The employee, who was not identified, complained of medical issues while working inside the Unit 2 containment area, the NRC incident report said.

The death was not known to be related to work performed at the nuclear power plant, the NRC report said, and the employee was not contaminated.

A Southern Nuclear spokeswoman said in an e-mail that the death was unrelated to plant operations and that the site’s two reactors continue to operate at 100 percent capacity.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 07/12/13 - 09:55 am
Personnel are allowed in the

Personnel are allowed in the containment building when the reactor is at 100% power? Either things have changed since I was in the industry or AC should check the details again.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/12/13 - 10:27 am
Hmmmm

I was wondering about that also, GAD. I guess it's possible, under rare circumstances to require containment entry at 100% power; but it's highly unusual.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 07/12/13 - 11:08 am
Not unusual

It's not unusual for containment entries at 100% power. Those are limited in scope and time and normally they recieve less radiation than you do from your dental x-rays or a flight from Atlanta to Las Vegas!

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 07/12/13 - 11:10 am
Maybe they meant

the area not the containment itself?

oldredneckman96
oldredneckman96 07/12/13 - 08:18 pm
"Nuclear" death

It is sad to hear of a death of anyone working for a living. It saddens me even more that it receives the added attention because of the word “nuclear” in the article. In my 35 years in the “nuclear” business, I have witnessed several deaths on the site of nuclear power plants and not one has ever been due to anything connected to nuclear power, yet these deaths always attract extra attention. In BWR (Vogtle) plants it is not uncommon to enter the containment (the building housing the reactor) with the unit running and in PWR plants although not as common, not out of the question. I stake my life on the fact that nuclear power generation is the safest, cleanest and greenest industry in this country.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/12/13 - 09:55 pm
Library

I think being a librarian would be a safer industry.

boroblueyes
boroblueyes 07/12/13 - 11:56 pm
Bad info

You have it a little mixed up oldredneck. Vogtle is a PWR (pressurerized water reactor). Plant Hatch between Vidalia and Baxley is a BWR (boiling water reactor).

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 07/13/13 - 02:13 am
Little Lamb

They should at least stay outside the secondary shielding. Trust me. I know about this. Is the AC going to do a follow up?

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 07/13/13 - 02:19 am
They made me and my co

They made me and my co workers go into containment one time. They took the plant off line and brought the reactor down to 3% power. What happened here? In sacramento the bee would have investigated. I guess the chronicle is a puppet for Georgia power.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 07/13/13 - 02:21 am
Oldredneckman. We should talk

Oldredneckman. We should talk sometime

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 07/13/13 - 02:29 am
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts

Did u ever go in to containment at 100% power? Do you know how f ing hot it is in there? I'm taking about 2 pair of coveralls and a respirator. Crap I don't know how we made it in those days.

over49gagirl
over49gagirl 07/13/13 - 06:11 am
I worked at Vogtle years ago

I worked at Vogtle years ago we would joke about replacing airlocks with rotating doors. Every time but once 100% entry was always behind shields. I am a firm believer Nuclear is safest and cleanest place to work by far. Chemical plants scare me!

gaptomom
gaptomom 07/13/13 - 11:39 am
Cart before the horse

As far as the statement about it being unrelated to work...perhaps Vogtle should wait until the autopsy results are back in before they try to cover their butts and say the death is not work related.

oldredneckman96
oldredneckman96 07/13/13 - 05:59 pm
GiantsAllDay and boroblueyes

Yep, I need to quit drinking when I type. Vogtle is a Westinghouse PWR and Hatch is a GE BWR. I have been to both many times. And no, you do not go inside the bioshield unless fuel is out of the pot. Yes, respirators really sucked, we don't use them as often now. I only want to live long enough to do one more start-up on one of the new units being built now.