Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

RANT FOR PEOPLE in Holiday Park. Could you please park your car in the driveway? Two cars cannot pass.

EVEN IF THE SPEED limit had been posted correctly at 55, she was still speeding. Even using new math, 62 is faster than 55.

I AM APPALLED that someone would give a death threat to a firefighter for having an opinion. What is happening to the United States of America when you can’t have an opinion? Freedom of speech. It had nothing to do with his job.

TO ALL THE PEOPLE who disrespect their neighbors, no problem. We are moving anyway, but one thing is certain: We will make sure that you will enjoy the new neighbors 24 hours a day.

I USED TO MONITOR phone calls in the military. It is good the government snoops. We have prevented a lot of terrorist activities from happening in our country.

A GUY AT WORK called me a white cracker. Do you think I have grounds to sue him?

WE LIVE IN A NICE neighborhood in south Augusta. It is quiet, drug-free and noise-free. The residents have been here for a long time. We are going to keep our neighborhood safe.

CONGRESS HAS NOT learned that “passing a bill to find out what’s in it” is not a good way to govern.

WHILE THE DITHER is going on about using electronic devices while on aircraft, has anyone figured out how to wean those ground transportation idiots who pump gasoline while yakking away and to cite the gas stations that let them?

I’M TRYING TO figure out how three days of above-average temperatures is proof positive for man-made global warming, while three months of below-average temperatures is just a meteorological anomaly.

ED SNOWDEN MIGHT be a traitor, but he also exposed treason by those who control us from political office.

Young Fred
Young Fred 07/11/13 - 09:28 am
The subject of common

The subject of common courtesy could probably fill up pages and pages of comments, especially courtesy and driving. Of all the dangerous and discourteous driving taking place I’d be willing to bet over half involve a cell phone.

But it’s not just driving. People showing common courtesies seem to be an endangered species. It’s a reflection of society. I recall talking to a group of teenagers and twenty something’s about a year ago on this very subject. From the expression on their faces, and the pinball-like rolling of the eyeballs, you’d have thought I was an alien or recent escapee from a mental asylum.

I cornered one particular hip and obviously popular with his peers fellow a few minutes later and asked him what the problem was. He informed me that showing courtesy to others would be a sign of weakness to his friends.

How do you suppose a young person would get that idea? Like I said a reflection of society.

allhans
allhans 07/11/13 - 09:58 am
To the person called "white

To the person called "white cracker". What other color is a "cracker"?
If the term doesn't fit, then by all mean sue..:-)

dichotomy
dichotomy 07/11/13 - 10:02 am
"Just put Paul Simon in

"Just put Paul Simon in charge of South Augusta....might see some worthwhile projects then...."

Only if HE got all of the profits, total control, and a salary to run them, and the taxpayers were liable for all loses, maintenance, insurance, advertising, salaries, and any other costs of operation. THAT is the consummate Paul Simon "partnership" project.

Now he is looking for permanent taxpayer support and total control of the Patch.......for which we COULD have had a PAYING tenant if it wasn't for a few of our numb skulled commissioners.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 07/11/13 - 10:11 am
What other color is a "cracker"?

Goldfish? PB on Cheese? Triscuit?

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/11/13 - 10:28 am
It took a lighting bolt from GOD

But Austin, Rush, Harley, & Herman were all silenced for a day.

580Am and 95.1Fm will have been off the air 24 hours at around 2pm today.

AC - Reporters, Now this is NEWS.☺

triscuit
triscuit 07/11/13 - 10:52 am
Honky? What is this, 1974? If

Honky? What is this, 1974? If someone called me that, I'd say, "are you Richard Pryor or something?"....ha!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/11/13 - 11:05 am
@HA

"Come on people....verify things before you present them as facts."

Amen to that sista! I have bounced back enough emails with links to urban legends pages that most on my list don't blindly forward "junk" anymore. Some got teed off and don't send anything, but that is OK too.

Especially egregious are political lies. Take Obama for example; there are mounds of factual data on him and his cronies to criticize, you don't need to make up stuff. When you do, the lies and half-truths circulating will be pointed out as such, and give his sycophants cover to claim the rest is untrue as well. Just stick to the facts.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/11/13 - 11:12 am
Common courtesy

We had this conversation just last week while vacationing with family. Even my young (relative to me) cousin says those born since the 60's are self centered and all about me, me, me. (not ALL, so don't start that trash). That trait extends to all ages, but is prominent in the younger folk.

bigj706
bigj706 07/11/13 - 11:19 am
I passed by that mighty new

I passed by that mighty new basketball court at Diamond lake it will be on the news in a little while

daphne3520
daphne3520 07/11/13 - 11:26 am
itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/11/13 - 11:28 am
Zimmerman set up to be railroaded

I've said from the get-go that I felt the situation of Martin's killing was in part Z's fault; I just didn't know how he could be held accountable legally. When he was charged with murder, I also felt there was no way he could be found guilty. (the cops in the Rodney King case were acquitted due to overzealous proscecution; the jury rightly said they were not guilty of attempted murder, IMO).

Now, the judge has opened the door for the jury to independently consider lesser charges, even though none of those lesser charges were brought against him. They mean to hang him, one way or another; and I think the judge is biased towards that. I've watched some of the trial and I'm not so sure she has been balanced with the defense. She even walked out on the defense a couple of days ago while they were still voicing an objection.

Young Fred
Young Fred 07/11/13 - 11:30 am
I like crackers!

I like crackers!

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 07/11/13 - 12:13 pm
Zimmerman

I believe the Judge in that trial is setting it up for a mistrial. At the very least, by her actions, which have been seeming so contrary towards the defense, maybe having it overturned on an appeal no matter what the verdict. It was the prosecutions case to lose and they basically gave it away.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 07/11/13 - 12:14 pm
Cracker

I guess I'll sue the next person who calls me Honky or Cracker for their food stamps!!

internationallyunknown
internationallyunknown 07/11/13 - 12:17 pm
Only thing, those food stamps

Only thing, those food stamps belong to you.....tax dollars....so are you suing yourself?

internationallyunknown
internationallyunknown 07/11/13 - 12:20 pm
Florida law mandates that

Florida law mandates that lesser charges be included....nothing the judge has done.

Step your game up.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 07/11/13 - 12:25 pm
I like crackers, cheese and

Bloody Mary's - retirement is fun!

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 07/11/13 - 12:35 pm
FL law does NOT require that

FL law does NOT require that completely different charges be considered, which is what the prosecution is asking for.....Felony murder due to child abuse? He has never been charged with child abuse.

Young Fred
Young Fred 07/11/13 - 12:35 pm
I enjoy Bloody Mary's using

I enjoy Bloody Mary's using Spicy V8.

If you had to pick a favorite “stand-alone” eating cracker what would it be?

Ritz, Animal, Captain's Wafers, Wheat Thins, Socialbles, Graham, Onion Garlic Flax (no kidding, saw on the organic isle once), the old stand by – Soda crackers, my all time favorite - Chicken in a Biskit, or some other?

countyman
19545
countyman 07/11/13 - 01:23 pm
Ironic

Cold beer.. I lived in both the CBD and Evans, and had more problems with crime while staying in Evans.

It's kinda ironic how the real estate prices are higher in West Augusta than everywhere on your list, but you would only move back to Martinez or Hephzibah.

The reason why the West Augusta area of Washington rd(Pleasant Home to Augusta National) is much nicer than the Martinez section(Pleasant Home to Club Car) is both the crime rate and demographics.

I know many upper middle class areas have crime, and I'm sure there's property crime in West Augusta.

I don't think it's an coincidence the nicest parts of Martinez are located right next to West August(many people don't even know where the Richmond/Columbia line even begins on Stevens Creek or Furys Ferry), or how West Augusta is able to support Publix, Fresh Market, Kroger, and Costco within 1 mile of each other.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 07/11/13 - 02:08 pm
Young Fred

My choice of a cracker would be a boy that graduated from Ga Tech - threw ya huh?

corgimom
corgimom 07/11/13 - 02:45 pm
How about graham crackers?

How about graham crackers?

If somebody called me a white cracker, I'd laugh.

corgimom
corgimom 07/11/13 - 02:47 pm
Young Fred, the best crackers

Young Fred, the best crackers out there are the cracked pepper Triscuits. They are new, and they are yummy.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/11/13 - 02:47 pm
Thinking About It

Something to think about I guess. But it could also not be a coincidence that the nicest parts of West Augusta are located right next to Martinez.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 07/11/13 - 03:08 pm
RM

I'm ready to take my glove out and smack a certain person on here across the cheek with it and call a dual - will you second me? Just kidding. We have so much history here - are they dismissing us because we are the south?

corgimom
corgimom 07/11/13 - 03:10 pm
"I don't think it's an

"I don't think it's an coincidence the nicest parts of Martinez are located right next to West August(many people don't even know where the Richmond/Columbia line even begins on Stevens Creek or Furys Ferry), "

Oh for Pete's sake. This is ridiculous. The things that you come up with, Countyman, are incredible.

Ok, Countyman, let me tell you how it all came about.

Martinez used to be not much of anything. It was very rural and farmland. There was very little there.

The Hill was the place where all the monied people of Augusta lived. But as their families grew, the Hill all built up, and there needed to be more houses built.

People wanted to be close to their jobs in Augusta. The Calhoun Expressway was built, making it easy to go from Washington Rd to Downtown Augusta. Martinez was the closest, easiest commute, easier than South Augusta, and had nothing to do with being next to West Augusta.

In the 80's, big parcel tracts of land that were former farms became available. There was a demand for nice, modern houses with easy commutes, and that's how areas like Fury's Ferry came about. Fury's Ferry used to be a 2 lane farm-to-market secondary road.

When people wanted acreage with their homes, they went out to Evans.

This also coincided with the desegregation of the Augusta schools, and a huge demand arose for houses in Columbia County, away from the RC schools. If you lived on the Hill, you pretty much had to send your child to private school, so Columbia County became a place where you could have a nice house and not have to pay private school tuition.

I know this doesn't fit in with your West Augusta fascination, but that's the truth.

Do you remember how I've told you that we know all the back stories on this, and you don't?

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/11/13 - 03:14 pm
Different Strokes for Different Folks

For me, I realize there are different areas that have different preferences and types of people. Some people want good schools and family type neighborhoods and houses. Other single people want to live in apartments and rooms above stores on Broad St. with the bars open to morning and a friendly LGBT population. Some former residents even feel they were discriminated against in family friendly Columbia County if the commenters are truthful. Where the tax revenue is spent is debated, but it’s best to let the facts about an area speak for itself. It is what it is.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 07/11/13 - 03:31 pm
Watched some of the Zimmerman trial

... at the waiting room in the hospital this morning. Liked the prosecutor's tie, but the assistant prosecutor's robe seemed wrinkled.

Or maybe it was the camera angle on the bench.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 07/11/13 - 03:32 pm
It is what it is

Good answer

dwb619
dwb619 07/11/13 - 03:40 pm
corgi @3:10

So right. I remember when the last business on Washington Road was the JB Whites center, then single family homes to I-20, where JM Fields was built, then a dairy just north of I-20,at the intersection with Stevens Creek Road. 75% of the residents of Martinez were blue collars worker. Times have really changed.