Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

RANT FOR PEOPLE in Holiday Park. Could you please park your car in the driveway? Two cars cannot pass.

EVEN IF THE SPEED limit had been posted correctly at 55, she was still speeding. Even using new math, 62 is faster than 55.

I AM APPALLED that someone would give a death threat to a firefighter for having an opinion. What is happening to the United States of America when you can’t have an opinion? Freedom of speech. It had nothing to do with his job.

TO ALL THE PEOPLE who disrespect their neighbors, no problem. We are moving anyway, but one thing is certain: We will make sure that you will enjoy the new neighbors 24 hours a day.

I USED TO MONITOR phone calls in the military. It is good the government snoops. We have prevented a lot of terrorist activities from happening in our country.

WE LIVE IN A NICE neighborhood in south Augusta. It is quiet, drug-free and noise-free. The residents have been here for a long time. We are going to keep our neighborhood safe.

I’M TRYING TO figure out how three days of above-average temperatures is proof positive for man-made global warming, while three months of below-average temperatures is just a meteorological anomaly.

ED SNOWDEN MIGHT be a traitor, but he also exposed treason by those who control us from political office.

countyman
countyman 07/10/13 - 03:25 pm
Many great neighborhoods in South Augusta

#7. Some of the people on here would have accused me of wearing rose colored glasses lol. Barefield, Lakes at Spirit Creek, Southlake Estates, Manchester, The Orchard, different Walton neighborhoods, Goshen, etc are good places to live in South Augusta. The neighborhood Spring Creek Village is underway off Willis Foreman. The Diamond Lakes park is a great example of the city stepping up to the plate, and then letting the private sector follow right behind. Many of the new homes/neighborhoods in South Augusta are in close proximity to the park. Some of the neighborhoods might have a Hephzibah address, but their not in the city limits.

The media is partly to blame when 90% of the coverage on South Augusta is crime reports.

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/10/13 - 04:36 pm
We need to have Operation Driver Ed.

I can't tell you how many fools I saw today without headlights on and/or tailgating in this heavy rain.

dstewartsr
20394
dstewartsr 07/10/13 - 07:46 pm
On topic “...passing a bill to find out what’s in it..."

Today's totally unbiased USA Today had an editorial blaming the cascading failure of Obamacare implementation on Republicans for not putting in the appropriate safeguards.

Can't make this stuff up.

dstewartsr
20394
dstewartsr 07/10/13 - 07:49 pm
"The media is partly to blame

... when 90% of the coverage on South Augusta is crime reports."

Media's fault.

Right.

corgimom
corgimom 07/10/13 - 08:06 pm
Countyman, you've never lived

Countyman, you've never lived in South Augusta, I have. So do others on here. It used to be just a really good place for military and working-class people to live, a good place to raise a family, now the old section is becoming the new slums of Augusta.

Not everybody in Augusta can afford a new house, or a $200,000 house, the decent working-class people in Augusta are being besieged on all sides. They worked hard all their lives, and now their neighborhoods are being destroyed by Section 8 housing. Their home values are plummeting, their neighborhoods are becoming crime-ridden, and older people and retirees can't afford to move.

And we are watching it happen, and it's our friends, families, and neighbors that are suffering, and the city leaders aren't doing anything to stop it. They are too busy worrying about Downtown and fast-food restaurants and the cavernous, empty TEE Center. Those South Augustans have been the backbone of Augusta, have loved and supported Augusta all these years, and are now being left high and dry with no recourse.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 07/10/13 - 09:01 pm
South Augusta

Corgimom - you said it all - thanks - you are so right!!

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/10/13 - 09:19 pm
TEE Center, Empty Big Box Store

What’s the difference in an empty former big box store building and the TEE Center? About 20 days a year. Plus maintenance and management fees for the TEE.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/10/13 - 09:38 pm
Man Bites Dog

Countyman posted:

If the Chronicle or Channel 12 News reported that there were no murders in Montclair today and Mrs. Johnson's sautéed chicken dinner turned out marvelously, then circulation and ratings would plummet and advertisers would bail out and those media outlets would go out of business. Those would be "dog bites man" stories. It's expected. It's normal.

News media have to report crime, mayhem, tragedy, fires, floods, hurricanes, tornados, etc. It's what we want.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/10/13 - 09:45 pm
Hudsucker Proxy

It appears the TEE Center folks are changing their mission statement. They say you shouldn’t judge them by the money they bring into the city, but instead as something that establishes Augusta as a premier city. They say it brands the city in a positive way for tourism.

Of course we know such hazy statements are meant to hide the failure to live up to the lofty projections our Mayor and other leaders originally made. Wasn’t there talk of hundreds of millions of dollars a year? It all sounds like the movie Hudsucker Proxy with Norville Barnes instead being made a mayor to ruin the city.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/10/13 - 09:51 pm
Air Conditioning

I wonder what the power bill is for the empty TEE Center. You know Paul Simon is keeping the air conditioning on full blast.

countyman
countyman 07/10/13 - 11:59 pm
South Augusta

Corgimom, you've never lived in the CBD, I have. I don't understand why you're allowed to comment on the CBD, but I can't comment on South Augusta. I also thought you've lived in Charlotte for many years now. South Augusta is still a great place for the military, and great place to raise a family. Please name all of these neighborhoods with this great quality of life compared to Barefield in South Augusta? Many white people moved from the older parts of South Augusta before 2005, and that had nothing to do with the construction projects downtown. The city of Augusta can do much better in terms of cleaning up certain areas, but let's not blame them for white flight.

If the leaders of Augusta are so concern about downtown. Why have the cities of Columbia, Savannah, Charleston, Greenville, Chattanooga, etc all invested more in the downtown area?

The residents of Richmond County voted for the TEE Center. The Holiday Inn Express is underway on Broad street, but some people want us to believe the TEE Center is empty all the time. The new hotel on the common is moving along in the process, and should become reality in the future.

The Walgreens/3 acre development at Windsor Spring-Tobacco, remodeling of Walmart on Deans Bridge, Hampton Inn hotel on Gordon Hwy, Starbucks plant, Rockwood plant, Five Guys, etc are some of the new things in South Augusta. The same people continue to comment how the city spends money downtown, but ALWAYS mention the TEE Center. The vocational high school, sheriff precinct, marshall's office, outdoor basketball court at Diamond Lakes, new utility/tag office, Butler Creek Greenway/Butker Creek Trailhead Park/Lombard Mill Pond, etc are in South Augusta. The new campgrounds are on the way to Diamond Lakes.

The next Target is more than likely coming to South Augusta near Peach Orchard/Windsor Spring/I-520.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/10/13 - 11:39 pm
Cite them for what?

"WHILE THE DITHER is going on about using electronic devices while on aircraft, has anyone figured out how to wean those ground transportation idiots who pump gasoline while yakking away and to cite the gas stations that let them?"

Young Fred
Young Fred 07/11/13 - 12:28 am
"CONGRESS HAS NOT learned

"CONGRESS HAS NOT learned that “passing a bill to find out what’s in it” is not a good way to govern."

Should be headline news each and every day by any newspaper that actually gave a ding-dang about the health of the country!!!

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 07/11/13 - 04:54 am
Why is it that white people

Why is it that white people don't have any "good" derogatory names people can throw at them? The above ranter mentioned "white cracker". Naaahhh. "Honky"? "Redneck"? "Whitey"? See...whites are kinda underprivileged in that way. Oh, well.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 07/11/13 - 06:46 am
"has anyone figured out how

"has anyone figured out how to wean those ground transportation idiots who pump gasoline while yakking away and to cite the gas stations that let them?"

If the ranter can show evidence of ONE cellphone starting a fire at a gas station, I would be interested in seeing it.

seenitB4
119874
seenitB4 07/11/13 - 07:12 am
Relax....why don't I lol

Well now....why don't I...good question corgi....& I thought about it this am...

Last night on tv I saw where we had spent 34 MILLION dollars on a building in Afghanistan....OOPS..here is the kicker....It has NEVER been used--it won't EVER be used---the commander said he didn't need it before it was built...BUT YET....we are furloughing folks here everyday...closing gates....cutting back on almost everything.....:(

We have endless trials on tv & it does get depressing.......we read about crime & it seems to escalate daily....esp around Atlanta.......my muni bond is taking a dive & I'm thinking DUH what else is diving.....talked to stock broker & he just wants more investment made duhh duh....

America has been great for many many years but now some want to come here & change the way it works....& the sad part is that it will happen...I don't just blame the Dem.....I'm not foolish enough to think that.....

The division in the USA has gotten wider imo....on wealth--on race-----crime areas--it seems the punks don't fear jail time anymore....just like a holiday to them....

anyway.......reading the news can be depressing.......& I agree the muslim woman won't change the beauty salon in any way....most don't want her as a customer & they have told the salon mgr that....as of this moment they still have that choice....but how much longer .....P Deen will still be a wealthy woman....& maybe it is time for her to slow down some...after all she has 2 sons to work & help her now...

My aches & pain has slowed me down some too.....strange that when you are young you don't have the time to travel much.....& when you are older you don't have the energy...anyway corgi....it is not about you that I'm ranting about......I need a happy pill...gonna look for it.

corgimom
corgimom 07/11/13 - 07:12 am
"Please name all of these

"Please name all of these neighborhoods with this great quality of life compared to Barefield in South Augusta? "

I have no idea what this sentence means, Countyman.

As for this-"The city of Augusta can do much better in terms of cleaning up certain areas, but let's not blame them for white flight."

HUH??? Who else IS to blame, the Easter Bunny?

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 07/11/13 - 07:40 am
CBD

Well, I guess I'm more qualified to comment than Countyman, having lived in South Augusta, West Augusta, Olde Town, Martinez and Hephzibah. I'll say this, "White Flight" did not come into play in any move I made. Crime did! You want to close Riverwalk at night but allow the same perpetrators to wander the streets outside that area at will then speak badly of their victims! Out of all those areas, I'd move back to Martinez or Hephzibah without a second thought. The rest have a crime rate that I'm not ready to shoot someone over. Our LEO's aren't to blame, but our justice system is, our prison system is. In their day, county work camps with chain gangs didn't cost counties money, they actually were completely self funding. Look back at history to solve the problems of today.. You might just gain a bright idea. Joe Arpaio, where are you???

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 07/11/13 - 07:45 am
Humble Angela

The cellphones don't start fires, but have you ever waited in line for gas and watched as someone carried on a conversation on their phone rather than swiftly pumping their fuel paying and moving on out of the way as a courtesy to others waiting? I watched a "Lady" tie up a pump for 10 minutes while she was chatting on the phone, fumbling in her purse for her credit card and getting out of her car, only to pump $5.00 worth of gas!! It's called common courtesy, which apparently some people will never understand the definition of!!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/11/13 - 07:54 am
Common courtesy

I hear you, CBBP. In addition to that, what about those folks who pump their gas then go inside the convenience store to pay and while they're at it, getting their weekly groceries – all the while their empty car is sitting locked up at the pump, preventing others from pumping?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/11/13 - 07:56 am
Logistics

And the worst-planned and executed station for pumping gas in Augusta is the Sams Club. And they don't even have a convenience store. Can you imagine the back-ups if they did?

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 07/11/13 - 07:58 am
I agree, CBBP, but that

I agree, CBBP, but that wasn't what the rant was about. Being discourteous is not a crime, nor is it a hazard to anyone's safety.....it's just discourteous. I just get irritated when people continue to spread false rumors such as the one that cell phone's start fires. There are many out there. Remember the one that always is told by someone who knows a guy who knows a person who saw a lady name her twins "Orangejello" and "Lemonjello?" Or the guy that knows a guy who saw a person driving their boat around the lake with the trailer still strapped to the bottom of it. Come on people....verify things before you present them as facts.

allhans
allhans 07/11/13 - 08:05 am
How about a driver while

How about a driver while talking on his phone pulls off the road and stops by a pump ...sitting for several minutes and finally driving off, never once leaving his car.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/11/13 - 08:12 am
Phone at a pump

I never saw that, allhans, but I can imagine it.

:-)

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/11/13 - 08:13 am
Like Minds

I agree with Angela on this. In fact, I agree with Angela on most everything.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 07/11/13 - 08:54 am
Just put Paul SImon

in charge of South Augusta....might see some worthwhile projects then....

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 07/11/13 - 09:01 am
Five guys...going on 10 months!!!

Target coming in 2 years??

internationallyunknown
internationallyunknown 07/11/13 - 09:16 am
"A GUY AT WORK called me a

"A GUY AT WORK called me a white cracker. Do you think I have grounds to sue him?"

Was he also white?

Every race has a derogatory term that has a different meaning when used by someone not of that particular race...

The irony: The lady suing Deen is a white lady.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 07/11/13 - 09:26 am
B4

That Mexican pharmacy you sent me to has really good chill pills. hahaha

bubbasauce
bubbasauce 07/11/13 - 09:27 am
Has anyone figured out how to

Has anyone figured out how to keep at least two or three drivers from running every red light in Augusta. Please Mr. Round tree start letting cops sit at traffic signal and I guarantee you will write tickets all day long. Great job as far as writing speeding tickets, keep up the good work!