Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

AUGUSTA CAN SOLVE its “homeless” (bums) problem by not feeding them. They will go elsewhere for a handout. Give them a bus ticket to New York; Bloomberg loves these folks.

PAULA DEEN IS SUCH a fake. Fake accent, fake blue eyes, fake smile and now fake apology. The only thing she is sincere about is her fear of losing revenue.

THE NEW TRASH pickup trucks do not close the lids after they dump the trash, causing rainwater to accumulate in the trash containers. This will cause mosquitoes to breed. They will need an extra tax for mosquito spraying. This tax will really bite.

OBAMA’S 2008 SPEECH at the Berlin Wall to a large audience had a lot of people mesmerized. His recent speech there, however, was met with a much more skeptical, smaller audience. It’s only a matter of time before everyone gets tired of his flowery but hollow speeches.

WHAT KIND OF MESSAGE are we sending to our 11- to 12-year-old girls when we sign them up for the HPV vaccine? What about the situation when 15-year-old girls are running along to the pharmacy to get their morning-after pill without any parental approvals or restrictions? I wonder just where we are heading.

HOW COME THERE has been little or nothing said about the more than 573,000 birds killed by the country’s wind farms each year? This number includes 83,000 hunting birds such as hawks, falcons and eagles. Also, nobody has been fined or prosecuted for killing any of the protected species. Is this a case of clean energy can do no harm?

IF THEY ARE GOING to ban Paula Deen, then they ought to ban all the misogynistic, filth-spewing rappers for using slurs for women.

HOW MANY DAYS in a row do I have to read the same news over and over again? It is somewhat boring.

FOOLISH PARENT sighting yet again: Dad has his little girl look around for his money he dropped outside of Taco Bell in the raging thunderstorm while he sat in the Explorer arguing with the clerk. At least the child had a kiddie umbrella.

InChristLove
InChristLove 07/08/13 - 07:43 pm
Foolish Parent you could say

Foolish Parent you could say but do you know the circumstances. It's possible the father was disabled and not able to get out of the vehicle, it's possible the money he dropped is all he had to pay for the meal him and his daughter was going to share together.

I don't know the circumstances and I wouldn't want my child out in a rainstorm but until you know the facts I wouldn't be too hard to judge. Maybe the unexpected nice thing to do was for you to get out and help the child instead of sitting in your nice dry car and criticize.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/08/13 - 08:07 pm
#1

You are blunt, but have a point. Urban outdoorspeople do gravitate to the cities with the best gimmes.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/08/13 - 08:10 pm
#2

You seem pretty sure of that. Do you know her personally? Have you been around her outside of business? If not, shame on you for such a gross mischaracterization.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/08/13 - 11:00 pm
Settlement

If Doctors’ Hospital agreed to pay a million dollar plus settlement to the government for Medicare Fraud, how much do you think they actually took in by the fraud? Wa -a - a - ay more than a million dollars, you can count on it!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/08/13 - 11:08 pm
Shriveled Fig Tree

Man, here is a letter to the editor that died on the vine today:

Augusta Cares

I guess we really don't care anymore.

corgimom
corgimom 07/09/13 - 03:09 am
Rant #5- What are we saying

Rant #5- What are we saying to 11 year old and 12 year old girls? We are saying that we don't ever want you to die of cervical cancer, especially when it's preventable. And we are saying that the HPV virus is so very common, that you could be a virgin when you get married and still get HPV from your husband. A parent that loves their daughter will make sure that she is protected. Rapes occur, sadly, and once you are infected, you can't uninfect yourself.

And if parents are concerned about their daughters going to the drugstore for the morning-after pill, they are worrying about the wrong thing. They need to be worried that their 15 year old daughter is having sexual intercourse and that she is too young to be doing that, and they need to focus on that. The morning-after pill isn't the problem; no sex, no need for the pill.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/09/13 - 04:36 am
Ranter Hates Blue Eyes

There's something wrong with slamming someone because you don't like her blue eyes or other personal characteristics when she is being attacked unfairly in the press. Address the issue which was she admits she used a racial epithet decades ago. Hardly a reason for companies to break their contracts with her. Many liberals even say as much.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 07/09/13 - 05:25 am
Help the US save money

With all the furloughs going on today to save money, I have a great money saving idea. Since congress is on recess (furlough) for the entire month, lets call it a furlough. They aren't working anyway. Most Americans don't get paid when they are not working. OK, the gimme crowd does.

Point is, if Congress was furloughed it would be a savings of $76,000,000 in just one month. Again, don't take my word for it. Look up the annual salary for Congress members and do the math.

wagoss
wagoss 07/09/13 - 06:30 am
Trash Bins Open

It's in the contract for the bins to be left back where they were, standing up, and closed lids, but mine has been left open or fallen over every week and open, in the road one week. I have emailed the group handling complaints each week and they assure me that the contractor is being held responsible, but I haven't seen any change yet. This is the problem with government run "services", we don't really I have a way to get things corrected that we aren't happy with. Just wait for Obamacare!

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/09/13 - 07:33 am
AMEN to that brother!!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/09/13 - 07:34 am
Good Morning "Most Transparent Government In History" America

1. Possible solution.
2. "Fake accent, fake blue eyes, fake smile and now fake apology."
Are you sure you covered everything about her that is Fake?
3. You must be forgetting to tape that 5 dollar bill to the lid each week.
4. I was already tired of his flowery but hollow speeches within his first 60 days.
5. Question to corgimom, Are there really any virgins at marriage?
6. I think you left out a count of all the Bees, Flies and insects that are also killed yearly.
7. POOR Paula Deen, how can she live with herself..should be tarred and feathered.
8. Agree, all you have to do is copy and paste what you said yesterday, day before yesterday and the day before the day before yesterday.
9. Is it possible that the clerk was his mistress?

My One Liners For The Day, have mucchoo work to do. ( You know that thing you do when your body moves but don't get any subsidies for it)

Have a productive day TSD's.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/09/13 - 07:35 am
and this

Maybe he couldn't fit in that small section by the wall/car....yaknow what I mean.

WAG
WAG 07/09/13 - 07:44 am
Solve the homeless problem by

Solve the homeless problem by them getting a job! Offer them a job and they run! they need to get off drugs and liquor and get off the streets. I know some can't help but most can. They are lazy . Getting handouts is easier than working. I am tired of taking care of other people. Like people having babies then I gotta support them! get off your butt and work just like I do!

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/09/13 - 07:59 am
I have wondered about this too

Maybe some wise person can come up with a remedy for this....a sound that would scare them away or something.

I did hear that electric cars had to add a sound because the quietness caused trouble......maybe people need a sound when they approach.....some need it MORE than others....:):)

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/09/13 - 08:03 am
Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/09/13 - 08:09 am
Marina

Did this thing ever get off the ground?

Thurmond Marina

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/09/13 - 08:27 am
Why the dual standard?

If you or I ripped the Fed's off for MIllions we'd got to jail.

Doctors’ Hospital just has to pay back part of the $$$$.

Personally who ever put the process in place that violated Fed laws and regs needs to serve some jail time.

Otherwise this is just another example of when $$$$$ talks, it gets to walk. (unless the $$$ steals from bigger $$$$ eg. B. Madeoff )

tom31510
tom31510 07/09/13 - 09:10 am
Rain in trash cans...

...can be easily eliminated by drilling 1/4" holes in the bottom. But that only works for people who want a solution, not for those who want an excuse to complain. There's prolly a government grant where you can get a contractor to come out & do it for you.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/09/13 - 09:31 am
The can should be rain proof

The can should be rain proof if the garbage container lid is on properly. Putting holes in the bottom may let ants in.

allhans
allhans 07/09/13 - 04:58 pm
Re Rant 5...Hold on. The

Re Rant 5...Hold on.

dichotomy
dichotomy 07/09/13 - 10:11 am
"THE NEW TRASH pickup trucks

"THE NEW TRASH pickup trucks do not close the lids after they dump the trash, causing rainwater to accumulate in the trash containers."

I was turning the can over and pouring the water out at the road......but then I noticed Fred Russell and the Commissioners hiding in the bushes and adding that water to my RAIN TAX. Is the calculated area of a trash can lid counted as part of our impervious surface RAIN TAX?

What's up with the open lids? I never had a lid left open with the previous contractor. Now it's open every week and has rainwater in it.

If I can go to court and PROVE that I have ZERO run off from my 16 acres of property with a sandy dirt driveway and a house 1200 ft. from the road, can I get an exemption to the RAIN TAX?? In fact, the "CITY" should have to PROVE that I have run off BEFORE they can RAIN TAX me. And WHEN they TAX me, they should have to provide curbs, drains, and a piped drainage system to properly dispose of the run off that I DON'T HAVE.

Hey, here is an idea......Take whatever RAIN TAX I'm going to owe out of WHAT I'M BEING OVERCHARGED FOR GARBAGE SERVICE.

dichotomy
dichotomy 07/09/13 - 10:21 am
"AUGUSTA CAN SOLVE its

"AUGUSTA CAN SOLVE its “homeless” (bums) problem by not feeding them. "

Absolutely. Today we have 104,000,000 people receiving some form of giverment food assistance........and we ONLY have 97,000,000 people working full time.

If you are working full time, I think you could probably make a good argument in court for taking an additional dependent on your income taxes because you are SURE providing support FOR AT LEAST ONE MORE.

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 07/09/13 - 10:23 am
"If you or I ripped the ... MIllions

... we'd got to jail."

Just the same principle as the state going after the gas gougers every episode; tens, even hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines, negotiated down to two or three and then that goes, not to the consumers, but to the STATE.

And millions? Look at these guys going to jail for less than a hundred bucks in fines they can't pay...

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/09/13 - 11:20 am
Steve Crawford and the CCNT

Steve Crawford writing editorials for the Col. Cty. News Times should be exciting. I can't wait to see him apply his investigative journalism skills to that paper. I wonder when the first one comes out?

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/09/13 - 11:01 am
Army Moving Into Downtown Augusta

I see where they've called out the Army to patrol downtown Augusta. Heh.

wagoss
wagoss 07/09/13 - 12:12 pm
Rain in Trash Bins

"Rain in trash cans can be easily eliminated by drilling 1/4" holes in the bottom. But that only works for people who want a solution, not for those who want an excuse to complain. There's prolly a government grant where you can get a contractor to come out & do it for you."

Wouldn't that constitute damaging government property? The point is, it is in their contract with the city to close the lids, so they need to close them. If they want to modify the bins not to hold water and modify the contract to not require them to close the containers so be it.

"Contractor shall reasonably attempt to close Roll-Out Cart and Recyclable Cart lids." I would say when the majority of the carts are NOT closed, they are not reasonably attempting to close them.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/09/13 - 12:59 pm
Majority

They've been leaving mine closed.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/09/13 - 02:08 pm
If you care about America pls read this!

I will admit I had to calm down before posting...

This morning I learned just how demanding a muslim can be....I go to the JC Penneys beauty shop in a large mall.....it seems a muslim woman had called the week before for an appt...she requested no men be there...she was told that no men were scheduled at that appt time but they couldn't promise 0 men.....she made the appt.....

The woman was rude & demanding from the moment she arrived (I was told this)...It just so happened that MY beautician had a long time female customer come in with her boyfriend in tow....the muslim woman went beserk...she couldn't have that man in there........welll...needless to say the man was very uncomfortable & my beautician apologized over & over & assured him it was okay for him to stay....(she almost lost her customer that day)

The woman was told that ALL were welcomed in the shop--they did not discriminate.........now let me just say this...

Please please..I beg my friends....this is just a sample of what is happening in OUR USA..please don't sit back & be quiet......THIS HAS TO STOP.....STAND UP & VOICE YOUR CONCERNS...I'm begging you.....this is the tip of the iceberg..

I was not there when this happened BUT should it happen in my presence I promise you I WILL SAY SOMETHING...

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 07/09/13 - 02:55 pm
Seenit, for all that blather about "inclusiveness"

... intolerance is the hallmark of liberals and ethnic minorities.