Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Martinez pedestrian dies from injuries

Monday, July 8, 2013 9:55 AM
Last updated 7:13 PM

A Martinez man hit by two cars early Sunday morning died from his injuries.

Bradley Kenneth Simons, 22, of High Chaparral Drive, died early Monday at Georgia Regents Medical Center, according to Columbia County Coroner Vernon Collins.

Simons was walking on Old Evans Road near Dent Street about 3:30 a.m. when he was hit, Columbia County sheriff’s Capt. Steve Morris said.

A passer-by saw Simons facedown in the westbound lane and stopped to help. She told deputies that she tried to flag down a four-door Jeep Wrangler, but it ran over Simons and continued west on Old Evans Road.

Collins said an autopsy performed Monday at the Georgia Bureau of Investigation Crime Lab in Augusta indicated he died of blunt force trauma. Toxicology tests are pending.

The drivers who hit Simons have not yet been identified, Morris said.

Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 07/08/13 - 10:30 am
I was just reading the other

I was just reading the other article when I noticed the update. How horrible for this young man and his family! My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 07/08/13 - 10:32 am
God bless

Mr. Simon's soul. And the trash that hit him and ran, may they rot in hell.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/08/13 - 10:42 am
Sidewalks

When a young woman was struck and killed on Mullikin Rd. a few years back, Columbia County government decided to build a sidewalk along that road. Will they follow suit here?

David Parker
David Parker 07/08/13 - 12:06 pm
Evans To Locks gets love with

Evans To Locks gets love with a nice one as well. Old Evans is, well old. Could that be why no improvements? Just not enough "appeal"? eh?

triscuit
triscuit 07/08/13 - 12:16 pm
Again, TWO cars hit this guy

Again, TWO cars hit this guy and neither stopped? And bless the kind lady who tried to help. Prayers to his family.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/08/13 - 12:25 pm
How awful, and only 22. I

How awful, and only 22. I hope those who left him to die are caught and proscecuted.

Old Evans is extremely dangerous for pedestrians, with narrow lanes and shoulders. I've encountered pedestrians more than once at night and didn't see them until too late had we been on a collision course. Part of the problem will be resolved with the Riverwatch extension, which covers the area I've had close calls.

travisp73
travisp73 07/08/13 - 01:01 pm
Find the 2 cars that hit him

And throw the book at the waste of good air that was driving them.

redapples
redapples 07/08/13 - 09:16 pm
Prayers go out to this

Prayers go out to this family!

Kingbiscuitboy
Kingbiscuitboy 07/08/13 - 10:35 pm
Three DUI's of his own

I am sincerely and truly sorry this young man is dead. A young life wasted. In an eight month period, from December 2011 to August 2012, he had three DUI's, one being a hit and run as well. Nobody has any business walking on Old Evans Rd at 3:30 in the morning. His friends and family should have intervened somewhere and got this young man some help. Oh, and shame on those that hit him and did not stop.

proudgunowner
proudgunowner 07/08/13 - 11:54 pm
Karma? I'll keep his family

Karma? I'll keep his family in my prayers.

corgimom
corgimom 07/09/13 - 04:00 pm
He was a grown man, an adult,

He was a grown man, an adult, and was old enough to live his own life. The family has enough sorrow right now, they are not to blame in any way.

And there is no evidence at this time that he was intoxicated in any way, sometimes people just have terrible accidents.

My condolences to his family and friends, I cannot imagine their pain.