Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

AUGUSTA, WE SHOULD be sighing and crying for the abomination of a gay parade in our city. I can think of no legitimate reason for the GRU bus to be at the gay parade. GRU needs to stay totally neutral on making political statements.

JIMMY CARTER REALLY likes Obama. He says maybe with the way things are now, they will get off my back.

I AM SO ANGRY. I think the way Paula Deen is being treated is terrible. She did something wrong; she said she was sorry; she asked for forgiveness. That ought to be the end of it. The way everyone is treating her is awful.

HOW LONG do those living in the Glenn Hills area have to put up with this drum banging from Glenn Hills school? I live over two blocks away and I feel sorry for those who live closer. What happened to that noise law that said that noise isn’t supposed to be heard more than 100 feet away?

I THINK $19 AN HOUR for a crossing guard does sound like a lot, but crossing guards work less than 10 hours a week. For the year that is like $5,000. Do you live off $5,000?

THANK YOU FOR THE wonderful editorial about the media. My husband and I feel the same way. The media is disgusting. We don’t watch the news any more.

RANT FOR Aiken County Sheriff’s Department. Don’t you have crimes to solve instead of harassing pedestrians who are walking to improve their health?

SOMEONE NEEDS to tell the chief of police in North Augusta to have a talk with the people working under him. My husband and I have noticed that the police in North Augusta do NOT use their turn signals.

RANT TO THE Board of Education for the NINE furlough days for teachers! All workers should receive the same percentage cut not the same number of days. Administrators and central office workers’ contracts are much longer, so nine days of lost work is a much smaller percentage of their salary than what the teachers experience. A teacher’s cut is almost twice as large as that of an administrator. Only when administrators and others start feeling the “same pain” will things start to change. Equal sacrifice for all! That would be real leadership.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/08/13 - 09:24 am
And what would more laws do

to have prevented the illegal use of these people who don't care about "Law" anyway?

"One man was carrying what looked like an AK-47 style rifle while the other gripped a semi-automatic pistol. It is unclear whether the third man in the group had a weapon, but the trio told the victim to hand over his cell phone and everything in his pockets, police said."

daphne3520
daphne3520 07/08/13 - 09:33 am
itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/08/13 - 09:33 am
#8

Is your telephone broken?

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/08/13 - 09:41 am
Long read but oh so needed today

Uncle Sam's Misguided Children

An economics professor at a local college made a statement that he had never failed a single student before, but had recently failed an entire class. That class had insisted that Obama's socialism worked and that no one would be poor and no one would be rich, a great equalizer.

The professor then said, "OK, we will have an experiment in this class on Obama's plan".. All grades will be averaged and everyone will receive the same grade so no one will fail and no one will receive an A.... (substituting grades for dollars - something closer to home and more readily understood by all).

After the first test, the grades were averaged and everyone got a B. The students who studied hard were upset and the students who studied little were happy. As the second test rolled around, the students who studied little had studied even less and the ones who studied hard decided they wanted a free ride too so they studied little.

The second test average was a D! No one was happy.
When the 3rd test rolled around, the average was an F.

As the tests proceeded, the scores never increased as bickering, blame and name-calling all resulted in hard feelings and no one would study for the benefit of anyone else.

To their great surprise, ALL FAILED and the professor told them that socialism would also ultimately fail because when the reward is great, the effort to succeed is great, but when government takes all the reward away, no one will try or want to succeed. Could not be any simpler than that. (Please pass this on) These are possibly the 5 best sentences you'll ever read and all applicable to this experiment:

1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity.

2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.

3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it!

5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Can you think of a reason for not sharing this?
Neither could I.

griff6035
griff6035 07/08/13 - 09:43 am
Paula Deen

I read where she was a huge supporter of Obama, that is very wrong IMO!

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/08/13 - 09:50 am
multi million $$ business

I have seen that MANY big corp...support & give money to both sides Rep/Dem.......covering their hiney ....she had a 100 million $$ a year corp.
Think IBM--Cocaetc..cola-GM-

give you an idea

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/08/13 - 10:01 am
Today is Toby Keiths birthday

and here I am talking about gibberish...whoa...let me stop & bake a cake for that HUNK....52 years ole hunk...lol..:)

What a singer---what a man--sigh....♥

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/08/13 - 10:13 am
Boy--gun laws in Chicago really work said no one!!!

CHICAGO MURDERS SOAR: 67 SHOT, 11 KILLED OVER JULY 4 WEEKEND--SO FAR *
THIS CANNOT BE POSSIBLE! Guns are illegal in Chicago!

myfather15
myfather15 07/08/13 - 01:34 pm
Corgimom

If you can't understand that my reference to "(Redneckville)" was a direct reference to the lesbian in Augusta calling us that; then you need help!!

What I was saying is; this lesbian lives in South Carolina, a place MANY think is full of "gay hating rednecks". Yet, this young lady hasn't experience a SINGLE incident of harsh words or actions towards her. That would NOT back up many comments people like specsta, dahreese and others have made!!

It also appears MOST understood what I was saying, hence the thumbs responses.

It seems like you are constantly trying to find inconsistencies or mistakes from me; why do you frequently target me?

Also, for someone who claims the White Hours tours being cancelled has NOTHING to do with money and everything to do with security, I can't get very offended when you attack me! That statement makes absolutely ZERO logic, sense it costs MONEY to provide security!! Might wanna check that Ft. Gordon traffic thread again!!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/08/13 - 12:41 pm
Photo

Hey, MyFather. Maybe the reason that CorgiMom targets you is because the photo of your dog is not a corgi.

:-)

myfather15
myfather15 07/08/13 - 01:37 pm
Could be true, buuuuut I

Could be true, buuuuut I believe it might be something else!

Melcher65
Melcher65 07/08/13 - 01:47 pm
RANT to Ft Gordon DPS

While the furloughs have closed gates 2 & 3 forcing me to spend 2hrs and 20 minutes crawling from Robinson Ave to Gate 1 this morning, I could not help but notice that there was an MP sitting at Gate 2 making sure no one slipped past. If there is enough man-power to have an MP sit in his idling car at Gate 2 (and possibly even at Gate 3), then why not open Gate 2 and alleviate what is going to be a very long commute for the next few months?

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 07/08/13 - 01:58 pm
When they made the wise decision

... to replace all those expensive, inefficient military police with an up-to-date efficient and cheaper civilian guard force, what would you expect? Stevie Wonder saw this one coming.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/08/13 - 02:03 pm
News Bulletin

On Channel 12 News they said the military brass made an executive decision that no military personnel could temporarily perform the job of a furloughed civilian.

They'll be playing tiddlywinks before they will help the workers.

My solution would be to have all civilians who are to be furloughed to take off the same day. That way, there will be no traffic backups at the gates.

myfather15
myfather15 07/08/13 - 02:04 pm
Melcher

Your rant should be at the person actually responsible for this decision and that is OBAMA!!

This is NOT partisan politics from me, this is just TRUTH. The President could find MANY more places to cut spending, but he wants to cut where the PEOPLE will feel it the most. Making us wait in extremely long lines, is going to have an effect!!

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 07/08/13 - 03:38 pm
corgimom, if you live in

corgimom, if you live in Glenn Hills, you can pass judgment about the thumping from that band. I've been in the area, have heard complaints, and the racket. It doesn't sound like music at all. You hear weird blahhhttts from the horns, the drums don't seem to be very good at all, you hear nothing resembling music, even if you drive past it. I don't know who wrote the complaint, but THANK YOU! That NOISE shouldn't be going on after 8pm at night at the least within hearing range of any subdivision!

corgimom
corgimom 07/08/13 - 04:20 pm
No, you wrote that in two

No, you wrote that in two seperate threads, myfather.

As for "targeting you", no, I'm not.

However, I don't much like holier-than-thou people, people who try to tell me what the Bible says, and cherry-picks Bible verses to support their particular views, when those views are anything but Christian, and then says they are "witnessing". Because if someone wants to, you can find Bible verses to support just about anything, when you take them out of context, including murder, polygamy, marrying your brother's widow while married to someone else, and slavery, just to mention a few things.

That kind of "witnessing" does just the reverse of what that person wants; it drives people away in droves. It does far more harm than good, and if the purpose is to witness to people to get them to accept Christ, and Christianity, it works just the opposite. And I don't think that's really what you want.

The Christ that I believe in, is about love, forgiveness, and tolerance for others. That's what brings people to Christ, not constant, near-daily harangues about homosexuality. Because today, just about every person in the US either knows a gay person, is related to a gay person, or lives and works around a gay person. While this obviously is of enormous proportions in your life, most people- including myself- really don't care what consenting adults do.

And while you are entitled to your beliefs, and can say what you want, you might want to reflect on what I'm saying to you. When you are talking about homosexuals, you aren't talking about nameless, faceless people; you are talking about real human beings, people that we love, people that are important to us, family members, neighbors, friends, coworkers. Many homosexuals are just as Christian as anyone, and sometimes more so. You are talking about fellow Christians.

If heterosexuals can commit fornication, adultery, and divorce each other, and still call themselves Christians, I think there's room for gays, too. And that's my Christian beliefs, and my beliefs are shared by many others.

And you might want to look at your posts as others see them, and think about your "witnessing" and how effective you really are.

And as to the White House tours, I'm not talking about "it costs money for security". I'm talking about how they don't want people in the White House on tours anymore because it jeopardizes the safety of everybody that lives, works, and visits there on business. Admitting thousands of strangers into the home and office of the President just doesn't make sense anymore. It just isn't safe.

Although I don't know for sure, I'm guessing that the Secret Service and the CIA probably got credible information of plans to launch an attack from one of those tours. It would give terrorists, not to mention nutcases, a perfect opportunity to blow up the White House, and kill many innocent people.

It also produces enormous wear and tear on an old, increasingly fragile structure. The White House was never built or intended to have thousands of people, every day, tramping in and out. The maintenance costs for those tours is huge, and if something has to be cut from the budget, then yes, that sounds pretty reasonable to me.

My personal opinion is that the tours aren't coming back, ever. We live in an age of terrorists and terrorism, and touring and gaining access to the White House is just too tempting for a terrorist.

justthefacts
justthefacts 07/08/13 - 04:49 pm
White House Tours

IMO, they will resume at some point. It has always been "The People's House".

allhans
allhans 07/08/13 - 05:02 pm
White House tours resuming

White House tours resuming while Obama is in office? Surely you jest.

justthefacts
justthefacts 07/08/13 - 05:39 pm
I said

will resume at "some point".

myfather15
myfather15 07/08/13 - 05:46 pm
"Because today, just about

"Because today, just about every person in the US either knows a gay person, is related to a gay person, or lives and works around a gay person."

Oh, my bad; I didn't realize this made it ok. I thought we were suppose to abide by God's commandments when we claim to be Christian! Boy, was I wrong!!

Also, can you please copy and paste where I've said hateful things about gays? I'd like to see these comments you say I've made. Because I'm the same as you!! I couldn't care less what consenting adults do in the privacy of their homes. I also have gay friends that I would do ANYTHING for, if they asked me too or needed help. What I do care about is the standards, principals and morals this Country stands for!! Making something legal is what gets me speaking up!!! Not what they are doing in their bedrooms, because I couldn't care less!!

But that's the big problem with you guys; SIMPLY STANDING against legalized gay marriage is hateful and disgusting, you need no further actions from people to brand them hateful!! I've never harmed, bullied, cursed or made fun of a gay person IN MY LIFE!! But that isn't good enough for you guys, I stand AGAINST GAY MARRIAGE, so I'm a bigot homophobe. It's all a bunch of crap!!!

myfather15
myfather15 07/08/13 - 06:05 pm
"However, I don't much like

"However, I don't much like holier-than-thou people, people who try to tell me what the Bible says"

That's Ok, I don't much like people who claim to be Christian, yet can't bring themselves to make a stand FOR CHRIST!!

Talk about cherry picking? When the only aspect of Christ's teaching that you utilize is love and forgiveness, I would certainly call that cherry picking!! Those are the foundations, but even Paul taught that we have to move past the first principals of Christ and get into a deeper understanding of God's Word. Love and forgiveness are also the MILK of God's word, meaning those are for the babies or new persons coming to Christ. But once you've accepted Christ, it's time to move on to the MEAT of His word, which is discipline and obedience!! But those two are certainly aspects the liberals don't wanna talk about; let's just focus on loving everybody and don't judge ANYTHING they want to do.

The true difference it APPEARS (my opinion) is that Christianity appears to be a good idea to liberals, but not something to be obeyed and followed. It's the social thing to do and talk about, but you don't have to live your life for Christ!!

I believe Christ is NOT a religion but a reality!! I STAND strong for Him and live my life as such. I also can not be twisted by liberal confusion about God's word!!

myfather15
myfather15 07/08/13 - 09:54 pm
Another thing; I might be

Another thing; I might be wrong and I might be right, only time will tell. But I would think a good indicator is NATURE!! If you believe in one God and that God is the father of Jesus Christ, and that God created ALL THINGS, including nature. If homosexuality was perfectly acceptable to him, why didn't he create a way for them to procreate?

Because procreation is one of the most awesome feelings two persons can experience. Looking at a child and KNOWING that child is your DNA and has the features of you and your wife, is something words simply can NOT adequately describe.

So, if homosexuality is perfectly fine with HIM, why wouldn't He create a natural way for them to procreate WITH EACH OTHER? Honestly, I'm not being nasty; just ask yourself that question. If you actually believe in a REAL LIVING GOD, why would He forbid same sex from procreating and sharing in that wonderful feeling of creating a life, since HE could have created it any way He wanted.

Seriously, can someone else give an opinion on this comment? I'm I out in left field with this or does this sound like rational logic?

myfather15
myfather15 07/08/13 - 08:45 pm
No comment, just a thumbs down.

Well, I actually was hoping for someone to give me some feedback, especially on that last comment. But I suppose it wasn't worthy of feedback, only a thumbs down. I'll check back!

harley_52
harley_52 07/08/13 - 09:27 pm
myfather15...

Your comment is worthy of feedback, here's some.... I agree with you 100%. Homosexuality is not natural. It is not normal behavior. Anyone familiar statistics will understand that any characteristic shared by only three percent of the population is, by definition, not normal. And I agree it is a sin, at least by religious teachings with which I am familiar.

It's not politically correct to hold those views, so be prepared to suffer the slings and arrows of those who live their lives trying to comply with the left's political correctness dictates, but I don't think you're one of those who thinks that way and for that I congratulate you.

myfather15
myfather15 07/08/13 - 09:53 pm
I appreciate your comment

I appreciate your comment Harley. It's alright, I can handle the fiery darts they send my way!!

MCG student, class buy kids' books for Ferguson library

Three weeks after the Missouri grand jury indictment verdict, Ashee Nicole Sharer created a Ferguson wish list on BarnesAndNoble.com, urging classmates to purchase a book for the Ferguson ...