Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

AUGUSTA, WE SHOULD be sighing and crying for the abomination of a gay parade in our city. I can think of no legitimate reason for the GRU bus to be at the gay parade. GRU needs to stay totally neutral on making political statements.

JIMMY CARTER REALLY likes Obama. He says maybe with the way things are now, they will get off my back.

I AM SO ANGRY. I think the way Paula Deen is being treated is terrible. She did something wrong; she said she was sorry; she asked for forgiveness. That ought to be the end of it. The way everyone is treating her is awful.

HOW LONG do those living in the Glenn Hills area have to put up with this drum banging from Glenn Hills school? I live over two blocks away and I feel sorry for those who live closer. What happened to that noise law that said that noise isn’t supposed to be heard more than 100 feet away?

I THINK $19 AN HOUR for a crossing guard does sound like a lot, but crossing guards work less than 10 hours a week. For the year that is like $5,000. Do you live off $5,000?

THANK YOU FOR THE wonderful editorial about the media. My husband and I feel the same way. The media is disgusting. We don’t watch the news any more.

RANT FOR Aiken County Sheriff’s Department. Don’t you have crimes to solve instead of harassing pedestrians who are walking to improve their health?

SOMEONE NEEDS to tell the chief of police in North Augusta to have a talk with the people working under him. My husband and I have noticed that the police in North Augusta do NOT use their turn signals.

RANT TO THE Board of Education for the NINE furlough days for teachers! All workers should receive the same percentage cut not the same number of days. Administrators and central office workers’ contracts are much longer, so nine days of lost work is a much smaller percentage of their salary than what the teachers experience. A teacher’s cut is almost twice as large as that of an administrator. Only when administrators and others start feeling the “same pain” will things start to change. Equal sacrifice for all! That would be real leadership.

corgimom
corgimom 07/07/13 - 08:06 pm
Ranter #4- Teenagers who are

Ranter #4- Teenagers who are banging drums in a marching band aren't high on drugs, having sex and making babies, or committing crimes, including burglarizing your house.

Happy teenagers make noise. A happy teenager is a good teenager. It's not keeping you up at night, so chill out.

It's too bad that teenagers can't do healthy, productive, wholesome activities, without somebody, somewhere, that has to complain.

And I'd FAR rather hear drums from a marching band than that God-awful, window-rattling THOMP THOMP THOMP of rap music.

corgimom
corgimom 07/07/13 - 08:09 pm
Personally, I'd rather see a

Personally, I'd rather see a gay parade than the KKK marching down Broad St- which I have seen with my own eyes- but that's just me.

The KKK, now THAT'S the abomination.

allhans
allhans 07/07/13 - 08:31 pm
corgimom..I have never seen

corgimom..I have never seen either, and have no plans to do so.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/07/13 - 08:49 pm
Parents or Grandparents Say the N Word?

It's not only if you have uttered the N word decades ago, if your parents may have used such words you should also be punished. If your grandparents used the word and you knew them before they died, you should also be punished if you appear in media that reaches the public. All Paula Deen's restaurants should experience a night of broken windows. Deenen!!! should be painted on the businesses they vandalize.

corgimom
corgimom 07/07/13 - 08:55 pm
People would be amazed if

happychimer
19537
happychimer 07/07/13 - 09:36 pm
I saw kkk rally when I was 17

I saw a kkk rally when I was 17 years old. They drove down the main street in a small town in SC.We lived on that street. I got inside and peeped out the window. I was scared.

myfather15
myfather15 07/07/13 - 09:55 pm
I would rather see NEITHER

I would rather see NEITHER Corgimom!! But I would be very interested in the greeting the KKK would get today, compared to the greeting the gay pride event got!! Both groups are completely consumed with hate!! No, I don't mean gay people; I'm talking about these activists that organize these events. These radical activists are just as hate filled as any group in history! Evidence in the womans statement, calling this "Redneckville"!!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/07/13 - 10:26 pm
Rant 1

I agree with the part about GRU. Public institutions have no business participating in politically oriented activities.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/07/13 - 10:50 pm
Last ranter

You don't really expect those planning the pay cuts to be fair about their own do you? Yes, it would be honest on their part but......

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/08/13 - 04:26 am
Furlough days would not be needed if

The USA, GA, and ARC had more taxpayers than tax-takers and spenders.

Notice I did not say more taxes.

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/08/13 - 04:58 am
Go Figure

The plane crash @SFA will take some time to correctly figure out, but this much is known.

I have to wonder how many people would NOT have been injured or if every one just exited the plane as instructed.

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/08/13 - 06:09 am
Have seen a few Klan rallies growing up on the South Side

2 that vividly come to mind.
When I was 18-19 in the early 1970's US-25 Silverdale community, protesting Black middle class family moving into the area. A cross burning and all. Stupid to say the least.

Another happened while I was kid about 7, where a group showed up to a Drunken white trash house on Byrd Rd. The guy was such a boozer after work that the kids were under fed, dressed in flour sack type rags, the wife beat to hell and no heat in the house. I watched, like a lot of dirt road neighbors, as the Klan had a come to Jesus Meeting with the guy in his dirt driveway. No whips, no bats, no fists no burning crosses, but a lot of shoving and yelling to straighten up and be a man. They said if he was seen with as much as a beer, or in a bar they would be back. The kids and the wife all improved slowly after the meeting.

But this was the only 1 good things out of a lot bad things.

justthefacts
justthefacts 07/08/13 - 06:11 am
Flight 214

Oh yeah, a little unsettling watching replays of Flight 214 crash land over and over while at the airport waiting on your flight! Yikes.

corgimom
corgimom 07/08/13 - 06:23 am
Myfather, in 2010 there were

Myfather, in 2010 there were some Klan meetings in SC, where have you been? And don't you remember them at ASU?

And Augusta IS "Redneckville", what's so hateful about that? That's part and parcel of Augusta, that's part of what we love about Augusta, you sound like Countyman. Hate speech, hahaha!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/08/13 - 06:46 am
Grooo Buses

Those Grooo buses are under the authority of Dr. Ricky Ricardo Azziz, and he can do with them what he wishes.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 07/08/13 - 06:56 am
"People would be amazed if

"People would be amazed if they knew of the Klan backgrounds of some "fine, upstanding" families of Augusta."

Some wouldn't care....for example, Senator Byrd was continually reelected until his death.

corgimom
corgimom 07/08/13 - 06:59 am
Oh, in Augusta they would.

Oh, in Augusta they would. Believe me. In a county that is 55% black, yeah, they'd care a LOT.

corgimom
corgimom 07/08/13 - 07:01 am
"Photos show passengers took

"Photos show passengers took the time after crashing to open the overhead luggage compartments and to get their items before using the exit slides?"

Some people did the same thing when the plane went down in the Hudson River. You wonder about some people.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 07/08/13 - 07:25 am
55% black, and still

55% black, and still protected as a minority in local Affirmative Action plans. Interesting.

corgimom
corgimom 07/08/13 - 07:28 am
myfather, if I hadn't have

myfather, if I hadn't have seen this with my own eyes, I wouldn't have believed it-

This is a post that YOU posted, 7/7/2013

"Whaaaaat? This lesbian lives in South Carolina (Redneckville) and hasn't received ANY harsh words? "

Then this, on this thread-
"These radical activists are just as hate filled as any group in history! Evidence in the womans statement, calling this "Redneckville"!!"

Wow. Just wow.

I guess when you say it, it's ok, when other people say it, it's "hate speech".

And Jesus doesn't like hypocrites.

"Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and the measure you give will be the measure you get. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye." (Matthew 7:1-5 RSV)

See, I can quote Scripture too.

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 07/08/13 - 07:36 am
"And Augusta IS "Redneckville

... what's so hateful about that?"

Depends on who is writing it. As Augusta is majority black, then there should be no insult if I were to write and label it "N----town", by your weak logic.

allhans
allhans 07/08/13 - 07:36 am
If we want to make this about

If we want to make this about history of the Klan don't stop with the south....
One big mistake is folks want to localize this when it was nation wide.

I had close friends living in Michigan...the stories they told!

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 07/08/13 - 07:40 am
As to the GLBT parade

... I could not care less. These activities fall under Rule 3, "Whatever consenting adults do that I do not have to participate or pay for is fine with me."

And yes, that includes the Klan as well.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/08/13 - 07:43 am

. . . to the ranter about the high school marching band near Glenn Hills. Marching bands are an important ingredient in the high school football game experience; and high school football trumps all in the south. They've got to practice if they are going to represent their school with pride.

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 07/08/13 - 07:56 am
"If we want to make this about history

...of the Klan don't stop with the south..."

True that; my father told me of huge Klan rally in Lewiston, Maine when he was a youth in the 20's or 30's. He remembered it quite vividly because they floated a huge burning cross on a raft down the river through the city.

That was in Maine, a state with a black population so miniscule refugees from Somalia tripled or quadrupled the number of African (really!) Americans overnight, a place where I grew up and did not see a black person in the flesh until my early teens.

dichotomy
dichotomy 07/08/13 - 08:38 am
"JIMMY CARTER REALLY likes

"JIMMY CARTER REALLY likes Obama."

What Jimmy Carter cannot believe is that we gave this one a second term. Jimmy lost one country to radicals Muslims. This one has handed over the entire Middle East and North Africa. We won't even go into the unemployment, spending, etc.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/08/13 - 08:50 am
I hate to be gloom/doom

But..you need to know what weapons they are using...if it happens here...it will come your way too...give the Sheriff the tools he needs....we are in a war....

An Atlanta man walking home from a popular East Atlanta bar was robbed early Sunday morning by three men, two of whom were toting assault weapons, police said.

One man was carrying what looked like an AK-47 style rifle while the other gripped a semi-automatic pistol. It is unclear whether the third man in the group had a weapon, but the trio told the victim to hand over his cell phone and everything in his pockets, police said.

Learn more here: http://bit.ly/1a5IdLS

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/08/13 - 09:05 am
The plane in SF

I hear reports now that the pilot was in training..

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 07/08/13 - 09:11 am
Paula Dean

Paula Dean didn't do anything wrong. Get over it already.

seenitB4