Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

THERE IS NO WAY I could pass what happened to my wife and I. On June 18 my wife and I went to a restaurant named TOKI to eat. After we ordered, our server informed us that the couple sitting in front of us had paid for our meal; my wife and I were completely surprised to find out that there are still wonderful and kind-hearted people in this world. May God bless them and their family.

I WONDER IF the Libertarians who were marching in Augusta’s Gay Pride parade also told the assembled crowd that their party wants to repeal all workplace and housing discrimination laws?

WHAT GENIUSES THOUGHT OF one-day-a-week garbage pickup? My trash is full by Tuesday; now I have these worms all over the trash because of the heat in the trash. On top of that we are still paying the same price for less service. Really? What country are we in? Russia? Do we have no choice in this matter?

CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN why someone who lives in Lincoln County keeps meddling into the affairs of Augusta-Richmond County? Who asked for your advice? Why don’t you just pay attention to what is going on in Lincoln County and stay out of our business here in Augusta?

CAN WE PLEASE get the grass cut in the ditches on Circular Drive in south Augusta? I bet our local prisoners need something to do so put them to work! And while they’re at it, have them cut the grass along Bobby Jones Expressway! Thank you!

THE ONE IDEA I really like by Marion Williams was the one to get some goats to eat up the grass and papers that are in the abandoned yards. I say we need a passel of them for the yards of the poor elderly folks first. You can also get goats that will produce milk and enjoy that healthy milk perhaps for the food kitchen downtown. Save their manure to use in the garden in back of the food kitchen. Low cost to maintain goats and you can profit from them as well.

I UNDERSTAND the Augusta Commission is trying to cut the budget as much as possible, but we are going back to the middle ages. Garbage collection once a week to me is unacceptable. Leaving the garbage outside in 80-plus-degree heat for a week at a time can’t possibly be healthy to the public. It breeds disease, attracts flies and other unwanted insects and animals, and other problems.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/06/13 - 10:10 am
For the thumbs downer on here!

I bought a bird feeder. I hung it on my back porch and filled it
with seed. Within a week we had hundreds of birds taking advantage of the continuous flow of free and easily accessible food. But then the birds started building nests in the boards of the patio, above the table, and next to the barbecue. Then came the poop. It was everywhere: on the patio tile, the chairs, the table…everywhere. Then some of the birds turned mean: They would dive bomb me and try to peck me even
though I had fed them out of my own pocket. And others birds were boisterous and loud: They sat on the feeder and quawked and screamed at all hours of the day and night and demanded that I fill it when it got low on food. After a while, I couldn’t even sit on my own back porch anymore. I took down the
bird feeder and in three days the birds were gone. I cleaned up
their mess and took down the many nests they had built all over the patio. Soon, the back yard was like it used to be. quite, serene and no one demanding their rights to a free meal.

Now lets see…our government gives out free food, subsidized
housing, free medical care, free education and allows anyone born here to be a automatic citizen. Then the illegals came by the tens of thousands. Suddenly our taxes went up to pay for
free services; small apartments are housing 5 families: you have to wait 6 hours to be seen by an emergency room doctor: you child’s 2nd grade class is behind other schools because over half the class doesn’t speak English: Corn Flakes now come in a bilingual box; I have to press “one” to hear my bank talk to me in English, and people waving flags other than “Old Glory” are squawking and screaming in the streets, demanding more rights and free liberties. Maybe it’s time for the government to take down the bird feeder.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 07/06/13 - 10:33 am
recycle

OK ya'll told me to recycle and I saw it as a way to have two trash bins. Well, they haven't emptied my bin in two weeks, and yes it's recyclables not trash. I want a REFUND. I'm sure come election time, someone will point out the commissioners that are delinquent in their property taxes.

Darby
Darby 07/06/13 - 10:41 am
"I like it that I only have to take cans

to the curb once a week."

So, eat out a lot do we?

Darby
Darby 07/06/13 - 10:48 am
"How is it that other cities manage once a

week pickup but people in Augusta GA can't handle it?"

Maybe because one size really doesn't fit all????

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/06/13 - 10:54 am
Bobby Deens light fried green tomatoes

hahah...The Deens WON'T go away...only cut out the middle man....you can buy DIRECTLY from the company---yeehaw....sometimes the pc crowd loses the battle...YEA!!!

dichotomy
dichotomy 07/06/13 - 11:15 am
Garbage Fee.

As I have said before, I do not have a problem with once a week garbage service. My complaint is that the reduction in service was not accompanied by a reduction in price. The service was cut in half. There should have been a corresponding reduction in price.

So I am curious.......for those of you who are located somewhere other than Richmond County.......how much are you being charged for your once a week mandatory municipal garbage service?

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/06/13 - 11:31 am
cost a year

In the neighborhood of 325.00 a year...on the taxes....

If it is cheaper this year..well we will see.....we did have senior rates with last hauler without a wage qualifier..

corgimom
corgimom 07/06/13 - 12:24 pm
My parents raised 5 kids with

My parents raised 5 kids with once a week garbage pickup, one carrier did it for everybody, and it worked just fine.

If trash pickup is someone's biggest problem in life, then they are truly blessed.

corgimom
corgimom 07/06/13 - 12:29 pm
Dichotomy, don't know, don't

Dichotomy, don't know, don't care, it's included in our taxes.

We have trash pickup once a week; recyclables pick up every 2 weeks, yard waste every week; and you can call to have them come pick up bulky items as needed.

And Darby, no, my husband and I go out to eat at a restaurant maybe once or twice a year, on vacation. I cook as much as possible from scratch, avoiding processed foods whenever possible.

And I don't compost, we have enough problems with critters, we don't want any more than we already have.

It works beautifully.

corgimom
corgimom 07/06/13 - 12:52 pm
Seenit, in 1900 and 1910,

Seenit, in 1900 and 1910, most blacks lived in 2-parent families.

Then the migrations started in the 1920's and it fractured families, and that's when things started to decline.

And it's gone steadily downhill since then.

harley_52
22064
harley_52 07/06/13 - 01:12 pm
"There are some people who are so rigid, so inflexible....

....so resistant to change, that changing their socks and underwear every day is a major problem."

Hoo boy, ain't that the truth.

And there are some people who are so self centered, so nosy, and so meddlesome that they don't allow other people to express opinions about THEIR tax expenditures and THEIR government provided services that they attack them from afar even though they, themselves, don't have a dog in the fight.

harley_52
22064
harley_52 07/06/13 - 01:15 pm
"Then the migrations started in the 1920's...

....and it fractured families, and that's when things started to decline."

Migrations? Which "migrations" are you talking about?

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 07/06/13 - 01:19 pm
Once a week.

In Waynesboro we pay $20.00 a month for once a week. We don't buy a lot of pre-made, pre- processed food. We cook from scratch as much as possible. With all the family here for the Fourth we'll only have about 5 kitchen size bags of trash in the can.

harley_52
22064
harley_52 07/06/13 - 01:19 pm
Happy Birthday...

George W. Bush

InChristLove
InChristLove 07/06/13 - 01:27 pm
"My parents raised 5 kids

"My parents raised 5 kids with once a week garbage pickup, one carrier did it for everybody, and it worked just fine"

Well my parents raised 3 kids without a local carrier...my daddy hauled it himself to the local dump. Dogs got the scraps cause there weren't any leftovers to amount to anything, had a burn barrel in the back yard to get rid of paper products and what was left, daddy hauled to the local dump for us. But times have changed, you can't burn trash (in most places), the kids are gone and the dogs went with them, and so it's just the two of us. Although we can get by on once a week delivery, I'd still like twice a week pickup just to keep down on the smell factor. Yes corgimom, I use trash bags, eat home a good bit, and try and recycle, but that doesn't help when you clean a chicken on Tuesday night for supper and the excess raw meat and fat has to sit in the hot Georgia heat until the following Monday.

Young Fred
Young Fred 07/06/13 - 02:21 pm
I see this: "There are some

I see this:
"There are some people who are so rigid, so inflexible, so resistant to change, that changing their socks and underwear every day is a major problem." - and think right-on!

Then I see this:
"don't know, don't care, it's included in our taxes" - and think, never mind!

Jake
Jake 07/06/13 - 02:25 pm
Chicken

An idea for raw chicken scraps is to boil the meat and fat and make broth. You can remove the fat solids at the top when it cools. You can also add onion or vegetable scraps to the chicken when it is boiling. This broth will then give you more flavor when cooking rice or other foods that require water.
The boiled chicken remains can then be put in a used plastic bag, wrapped tightly and disposed of in the trash without regard to smell.

Darby
Darby 07/06/13 - 02:45 pm
"And Darby, no, my husband and I go out

to eat at a restaurant maybe once or twice a year, on vacation."

Maybe the absence of a bunch of little curtain climbers helps. Anyway, if it works for you, then go for it.

I find myself climbing into our can, my wife steadying it while I jump up and down. Just call me the human trash compactor.

It's not a great solution, but it does work. So far......

PS - It helps to wear work boots.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/06/13 - 02:45 pm
Jake, you're going to have to

Jake, you're going to have to tell us what it's like living out there in San Francisco one of these days. The good and the bad. I spent a week there once.

myfather15
myfather15 07/06/13 - 03:20 pm
SeenitB4

You failed to mention the most important part of the bird story. Which is, those birds are doing just fine, now they just have to look and work a little harder to find their food!! Wow, that's a crazy concept; birds having to WORK for their food; and they STILL FIND IT!!

II Thessalonians 3:10 "For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat."

People would be SHOCKED, how fast they could find work, when that tummy starts growling. Human beings will NOT sit around and allow themselves to STARVE to death. They would do something and in most cases, that would be WORK!!!

Jake
Jake 07/06/13 - 03:33 pm
Bay Area

Riverman, I don't live in San Francisco. I live about 30min south in Redwood City. I only go into the city when I have to because just about everything I need and like to do are around where I live.
My recent visits to the city involved going to the ballet and dinner with my wife and watching the Braves play at PacBell park. I will be there next week to measure for some cabinets that we are going to make for a new restaurant.

SF (good) - Ferry rides to Alcatraz and Angel Island, great restaurants, scenic vistas from Mt San Bruno, lively nightlife with a lot of live music, Chinatown, the Italian section on Columbus Ave, diverse ethnic population, Fleet Week with the Blue Angels, public transportation and (best of all) the climate.

SF (bad) - Panhandlers and vagrants, some trashy streets, traffic, lack of parking, naked men in public, certain ethnicities that don't know how to drive, housing prices, gas prices, periods of smog.

There are things that I miss about Georgia, though. Maybe that is why I try to make it back there twice a year.

InChristLove
InChristLove 07/06/13 - 03:55 pm
Jake, thanks for the good

Jake, thanks for the good tips about boiling the chicken bones and fat and I've done this a time or two....but will have to disagree with the smell factor. I've tripled bagged waste parts and still in 90-100 degree weather for a week, you are going to get some rank smell. Guess it's the pains of living in the deep south.

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 07/06/13 - 04:25 pm
How dense do you have to be

... to not understand the complaint is not with the number of pickups being halved; it is because the MANDATORY cost remained the same?
Jeez.

InChristLove
InChristLove 07/06/13 - 04:31 pm
With some of us dstewartsr,

With some of us dstewartsr, it's both.

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 07/06/13 - 04:33 pm
As long as I've lived in Columbia County, it's been once

... weekly pickup, whether commercial or city provided. The only time that has been problematic for me is when the service misses our street. Since living in Grovetown, that's happened only several times in a decade, and a call to city hall resulted in a follow-up the next day.

One of my former neighbors had a herd of ankle-biters and would sometimes ask to put fill in my container; I thought it only neighborly to allow her to do so. Oddly, there are several sizes in use, and because I am an old resident I have the jumbo- I traded with her for her econo-size and the problem went away except around the holidays.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 07/06/13 - 04:35 pm
Chicken Parts

ICL when we have something like chicken or seafood and we're a week away from pickup, we do as Jake has said but instead of putting it in the trash we put it in a ziplock and freeze it. Then the night before pickup remove it from the freezer and toss it into the trash. By the time it thaws and begins to smell it's long gone!!

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 07/06/13 - 04:43 pm
Chicken parts

... usually go (on the porch in this weather!) in the toaster oven until browned and crispy, into the crockpot with rosemary and bay leaf clipped from my hedge a chopped onion (skin and all- will give the stock a rich yellow colour) and whatever wine remains. Strain, skim and it makes the best matzoh ball soup stock!

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 07/06/13 - 04:54 pm
In the 1920's

... there was a migration from the rural south to the cities. But and this is HUGE- the black migration resulted in the building of black schools, black business districts, black churches, and even black newspapers and black radio stations. The years between 1930 and 1960 saw the black family at only marginally lower levels of family income and property ownership; fully 70+ percent of black families were intact, two parent homes.

Then along came the ill-conceived "War on Poverty" where we paid --indirectly -- black men to abandon their families and rewarded women for illegitimacy with ever-expanding programs for payments cash and kind for life.

InChristLove
InChristLove 07/06/13 - 05:18 pm
Good idea CBBP, never thought

Good idea CBBP, never thought about freezing it. Just have to remember to mark it "waste".

harley_52
22064
harley_52 07/06/13 - 05:44 pm
dstewartsr....

...That's my understanding as well.

It wasn't really a "migration" that has caused the fragmentation of black families in America, but rather purposeful and conscious legislation by the federal government that either ignored the laws of unintended consequences, or intentionally destroyed the family structure for social engineering. Which was it? That's another discussion.

The short way to say it is that liberals believe the government is the center of society, while Conservatives believe it's the family. That fundamental disagreement is what drives most of the social strife we experience these days and it is at its peak right now.

Goodale House owner gets 60-day extension before trial

Richmond County Magistrate Judge H. Scott Allen gave the Goodale House's owner, Wes Sims, 60 days to begin restorations on the 215-year-old Federal-style building Tuesday, nine months after the ...