Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

THERE IS NO WAY I could pass what happened to my wife and I. On June 18 my wife and I went to a restaurant named TOKI to eat. After we ordered, our server informed us that the couple sitting in front of us had paid for our meal; my wife and I were completely surprised to find out that there are still wonderful and kind-hearted people in this world. May God bless them and their family.

I WONDER IF the Libertarians who were marching in Augusta’s Gay Pride parade also told the assembled crowd that their party wants to repeal all workplace and housing discrimination laws?

WHAT GENIUSES THOUGHT OF one-day-a-week garbage pickup? My trash is full by Tuesday; now I have these worms all over the trash because of the heat in the trash. On top of that we are still paying the same price for less service. Really? What country are we in? Russia? Do we have no choice in this matter?

CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN why someone who lives in Lincoln County keeps meddling into the affairs of Augusta-Richmond County? Who asked for your advice? Why don’t you just pay attention to what is going on in Lincoln County and stay out of our business here in Augusta?

CAN WE PLEASE get the grass cut in the ditches on Circular Drive in south Augusta? I bet our local prisoners need something to do so put them to work! And while they’re at it, have them cut the grass along Bobby Jones Expressway! Thank you!

THE ONE IDEA I really like by Marion Williams was the one to get some goats to eat up the grass and papers that are in the abandoned yards. I say we need a passel of them for the yards of the poor elderly folks first. You can also get goats that will produce milk and enjoy that healthy milk perhaps for the food kitchen downtown. Save their manure to use in the garden in back of the food kitchen. Low cost to maintain goats and you can profit from them as well.

I UNDERSTAND the Augusta Commission is trying to cut the budget as much as possible, but we are going back to the middle ages. Garbage collection once a week to me is unacceptable. Leaving the garbage outside in 80-plus-degree heat for a week at a time can’t possibly be healthy to the public. It breeds disease, attracts flies and other unwanted insects and animals, and other problems.

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/05/13 - 07:32 pm
A Ranting shutup now to everybody now whining that was silent

when the 1st step to take over Garbage pickup was made by the the local Gov. and added to your property taxes. You were warned. Besides when was the last time Gov. ever saved you money?

A shut to everybody that was silent, when 6 of the 10
commissioners voted for the pre-planned step 2 to build a $$,$$$,$$$.00 NG Fueling station and move to 1 day a week and hire the pre-planned major haulers. That locked you and every taxpayer that still is remaining ARC for a 10 year commitment.

A shut to everybody that was silent while the plan proceeded and over 7 small LOCAL companies lost their income and laid off workers.

I still wonder of the 6 that voted for this fly breeding unhealthy health code problem nightmare. How many got $$$,$$$.00 for special "consulting" jobs or $$$$ for speeches for hosing their follow residents?

sawgrass
sawgrass 07/05/13 - 07:28 pm
wow

I can't believe I am first.

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/05/13 - 07:32 pm
Only

By a typo correction.

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/05/13 - 08:32 pm
While I am ranting and blowing my last fuse.

This same silence happen in 2007, and 2011 on the Federal level and our rights are just as slowly being reduced to a Government suitable level.

Remember:

Silence is only golden for children NOT Voters.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/05/13 - 09:24 pm
Norm

Once a week garbage pickup is here to stay. You had better order your life and your household to adjust. You can compost uncooked vegetable and fruit scraps (including eggshells). You can recycle paper, cardboard, certain plastics, certain metals. 99% of responsible households can get by with one garbage can per week of putrescible waste if they use their heads. For those in the 1%, Augusta will bring you a second garbage can – however, that will increase your annual collection fee.

Darby
Darby 07/05/13 - 10:13 pm
"Low cost to maintain goats and you

can profit from them as well."

No thanks.

Sounds like one of those hair-brained ideas that originate from the County Commission.

Oh! Wait, it was....

CricketSeranade
CricketSeranade 07/05/13 - 10:36 pm
In response to the trash problem...

as an employee of Richmond County, I say they go back to two days a week and furlough us again. No one I know really missed the money and we loved having all that time off.

Darby
Darby 07/05/13 - 11:16 pm
Cricket...

Hush! You'll have some people on here saying you're overpaid.

Young Fred
Young Fred 07/06/13 - 01:30 am
Goats for everyone! I like

Goats for everyone! I like it!

That is until EGADS is created - the Emplacement Goat Administration Determination System. Then all dreams of low cost and profit is out the door.

Don't doubt me on this. Bureaucracy could screw up a we.., umm, a goat dream!

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 07/06/13 - 04:53 am
Goodness, goodness. My rural

Goodness, goodness. My rural garbage pick-up went from twice a week to once a week 20 years ago (with no reduction in price). Life does go on.

junkyardpig
junkyardpig 07/06/13 - 05:22 am
goats

i wish it was allowable to own goats here in the silverdale community in south augusta. I owed alot when I was residing in burke county. I had them as grass cutters . they kept the grass trimmed all summer and are much quieter than loud barking dogs all night. goats also keep snakes away. marion williams is right on the goat thing

corgimom
corgimom 07/06/13 - 06:35 am
I have once a week trash

I have once a week trash service, I don't have maggots, and it works just fine. I like it that I only have to take cans to the curb once a week.

Keep the lid to your trash can closed and use trash can bags in your kitchen. Problem solved.

Someone who can't handle something minor and simple like once a week trash pickup must lead a difficult life.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/06/13 - 06:58 am
The Lincoln County Resident

That someone who lives in Lincoln County is an accountant who points out mismanagement of Richmond County finances. You should thank him if you care about the truth and honest handling of taxpayers money. In addition he owns more property in Richmond County and pays more in taxes than the majority of the residents.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/06/13 - 07:52 am
Goats

Marion Williams' goat idea reminds me of what is happening in the city of Detroit. Dilapidated buildings are being demolished and the land returned to nature as the woods slowly reclaim the former urban area. Wildlife is beginning to flourish in the city while the green space gets larger and larger as the houses and buildings are raised. Goats and maybe a few wild pigs working to keep the city clean.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/06/13 - 07:31 am
Good Morning "Nothing World Shaking In R&R Today America

but except.......

it is a proven fact that you have Trash controlling the Trash in Richmond county. ☻

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/06/13 - 07:40 am
How Can Anybody

not be proud and supportive of the Great King SMNCICBHO, The Hammer & Sickle man.

Obama Appointee Claims Sharia Law Is Superior to American Law - Claims Founding Fathers Were Inspired By The Quran.

Obama has announced the appointment of Azizah al-Hibri to the United States Commission on International Religious Freedom. Al-Hibri (full name, Azizah Yahia Muhammad Toufiq al-Hibri) is a Muslim professor and the granddaughter of a Sheikh, who claims that the Koran inspired Thomas Jefferson and the Founders and that the Saudi criminal justice system is more moral than the American one because it accepts blood money from murderers.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 07/06/13 - 08:08 am
Trash

If you fill a 40 gallon trash can every week, you are probably spending too much of MY tax money on fast/takeout food.

crc
crc 07/06/13 - 08:19 am
Trash Pickup

I can't imagine producing enough trash to need it picked up more than once a week. What size trash can are we talking about here?

corgimom
corgimom 07/06/13 - 08:33 am
CG, you're 2 years behind the

CG, you're 2 years behind the times, get up to speed.

The US has managed to function in those 2 years, this is a non-story.

corgimom
corgimom 07/06/13 - 08:34 am
How is it that other cities

How is it that other cities manage once a week pickup but people in Augusta GA can't handle it?

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/06/13 - 08:51 am
Corgimom, interesting

Corgimom, interesting question. Because they are not paying for private garbage pick-up? Because many of them grew up in apartments where dumpsters were used? Because the containers are not well kept?

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/06/13 - 08:56 am
To those ok with 1 a week garbage pickup

Try a family of 5, vs 2 or 3.

The problem is the pickup is based on per house and not the household size.

Naturally a family of 4 or 5 generates more trash than 1 or 2 persons.

Add to the mix dirty diaper for families with babies.

It becomes quickly clear the cookie cutter solution of 1 pickup serves all does not work.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/06/13 - 09:15 am
Llamb is right

We have once a week here in Gwinnett....we fought it in the court...they won....& yall are right, one size doesn't fit all but ya got it!!
The only way to change it is to change the commish out...& hahah...I don't see Augusta voters doing that..sensible decisions don't seem to be on their veranda.:)

btw..I adapted...& like it now....you will survive.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/06/13 - 09:20 am
Atlanta schools will add 1 full time police

Every middle school & high school in Atlanta will add 1 full time Atl police dept officer patrolling its halls.....& YES it is needed...

What a change from my school years....unbelievable to me but it is what it is....in my day the kids DID NOT run the school system.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/06/13 - 09:25 am
DeKalb county school board

DeKalb's county newly appointed school board has made some noteworthy progress on its efforts to shake off probation, but it is too soon to tell if the system will regain full accreditation....

Now is it just me....but I can't remember this happening in my school years.....can yall?

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 07/06/13 - 09:27 am
Why don't we want goats in

Why don't we want goats in the suburbs for "mowing" the grass? Because they poop and have fleas, that's why.

JRC2024
JRC2024 07/06/13 - 09:28 am
no problem with once a week.

no problem with once a week. We bag everything and recycle all that can be. We also just changed to the large recycle can which is the same size as the trash can.

JRC2024
JRC2024 07/06/13 - 09:29 am
no problem with once a week.

Change your trash ways

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/06/13 - 09:36 am
Black Rep running for Lt Gov. in Virginia

Says this....Black families have deteriorated over the last 50 years...in 1960 most black children were raised in a 2 parent married household now only 20% are....He attributed it to the expansion of welfare programs in the 1960s.......now I don't have to put the story about the bird feeder on here do I??

The bird feeder story is 100% accurate....

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/06/13 - 09:41 am
Recycle more

We do recycle more now....nice size bin to use....cans--papers--plastic--glass....cartons...thankfully I don't have baby diapers to worry about but as we age we might see diapers again...who knows..LOL

Nuke supplier agrees to changes after cheating

ATLANTA - A manufacturer making parts for two nuclear plants in the Southeast has promised to better train its employees after investigators accused three workers of cheating on a qualification ...