Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

I JUST WANT TO congratulate our sheriff, Richard Roundtree, for being a selfish spender with taxpayer money.

RACIAL SLURS ARE used by far more from the black community in music and in everyday conversation. If a white says it one time, it becomes national news and the person gets canned.

THIS WORLD WOULD be a lot better if people would stop living in the past. Who cares what someone has said 20 year ago? People overreact about everything. That is not news to me.

I SERVED THIS country and used to believe in it, but the Supreme Court’s decision has made me ashamed of what it has become. What happened to the godly principles that our Founding Fathers built this country on? Our first president said, “It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible.”

RAVE FOR THE employees at the Augusta Sports Authority store. It’s a real (and unfortunately unexpected) treat to receive excellent customer service from a group of employees with the goal of making their customers happy. I will return to this store.

MANY THANKS TO ALL the doctors and nurses in the Gamma Knife area at Georgia Regents Medical Center. They took great care of me, and I’d like everyone to know how much I appreciate the care and concern they had for me. Especially nurse Sharon O. We’re blessed to have such a great facility.

A BIG RANT TO political correctness. How on Earth did this country become so cowed by minorities that any slightly unfavorable statement is cause for crucifixion?

WHY IS SECRETARY of State John Kerry trying to strong-arm the Taliban into negotiations? Negotiate with them for what? We should know by now that any agreements made with the Taliban will not be worth anything in the long run. All the Taliban have to do is wait until we leave Afghanistan, and then they have the run of the place. We have given them our departure schedule.

WE CAN’T GET A high school dropout who tells terrorists all of our secrets and then runs to Russia, but we sure can get that lady down in Savannah.

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/03/13 - 06:18 pm
It was minor thing to acknowledge

that Ft. Bragg was in fact having a Fireworks Show after being told by others it was not.

Now take a deep breath here...

Today Austin corrected himself.

I have heard him say he would and has in the past, but today I heard myself.

Maybe I (we) have been too hard on him???

Nah!, he enjoys a good debate.

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/03/13 - 06:47 pm
USA pulls strings to ground

USA pulls strings to ground an other countries Presidents plane to search for NSA Leaker Snowden.

Why all the bother since we were told early on his information was general knowledge????.

Let me share a secret with you. I know how Snowden is getting to South America for asylum.

But, I can't say because they are listening...☺

I wonder how long before I get a visit or my Internet slows down and dies?

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/03/13 - 07:56 pm
In for a penny in for a pound

Minorities have the SAME rights as everyone.
If we can do or say something, then why shouldn't everyone else get the same pass?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/03/13 - 10:35 pm
Directed Verdict

The prosecution in the Zimmerman trial has not presented one shred of evidence contradicting Zimmerman's statement to police that Martin first decked him with a blow to the face, then pounded the back of his head into a concrete sidewalk. The defense attorney should ask the judge for a directed verdict of acquittal.

The defense gets the benefit of the doubt. It is up to the prosecution to prove its case. So far, there has been no proof of anything.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/03/13 - 11:04 pm
News Today

This is long, forgive me. I’ve told this story before, but it gets better after today’s news. Thirteen years ago, I’m at the hospital and a young sales rep from Eli Lilly is in Augusta. I don’t remember the product, but I remember him well.

He was kind of shy standing alone while another rep who came with him is busy showing people something so I strike up a conversation just to make him feel comfortable. He tells me he is getting ready to quit the company and I ask him what he’s going to do. He says he is going to give basketball coaching a try as an unpaid assistant.

I ask him if he played before and he tells me he played for Depauw. When I tell him I know about it, he says, no, you are thinking of DePaul, but I assure him I know the difference in the schools and know of Depauw.

He’s a polite guy, drawing me out, happy to talk with another sports' fan, wanting to hear how I knew of Depauw. I tell him of the glory days of Frank McGuire when he had South Carolina ranked number one in the nation and they played lowly Depauw with Sports Illustrated making fun of the game.

Young as he was he didn’t know anything about McGuire and South Carolina during those unbelievable times. McGuire had coached UNC to the NCAA championship and coached Wilt Chamberlain in the pros before getting back into college coaching at South Carolina. I tell this young guy, Brad is his name I learn, all this. I tell him about my son playing baseball.

He is so honest and attentive that I actually worry about him quitting his job with Lilly and ask him if he is ready to take the big pay cut. He says he’s thought about it and his wife is going to keep them going. I distinctly remember looking him in the eye and telling him he must feel like he knows the game well if he is so sure he can coach. He meets my gaze and says he is, but maybe he sees my concern. He asks me what I think of his plan to give up his good paying job to try coaching starting at that low level. To my everlasting joy, I paused, sensed his ambition and told him he would only be young once and should go for it.

The next time I hear of Brad he is coaching Butler and has them going to the Final Four. I’m amazed, but even more so when he gets Butler to the NCAA championship game against Duke the next year. Today I’m pleasantly astounded as 37 year old Brad Stevens is named coach of the Boston Celtics.

I’ll never forget my talk with him. I’m dang happy I told him to go for his dream. I wonder if he remembers our talk with all that’s happened to him?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/03/13 - 10:49 pm
Tears of Joy

Thanks for that great story, RM!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/03/13 - 10:51 pm
P.S.

Sean ought to get you an interview with Michaux to put the story on Michaux's blog. Your writing above is so good, there will be little need for re-write.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/03/13 - 10:59 pm
Thanks, LL. It's one of those

Thanks, LL. It's one of those things that took years to evolve. Obviously, he was a nice guy back then and it carried over to his coaching career. One of these days, I'll tell y'all about another famous person I met at work. It's a much different type of story.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/03/13 - 11:20 pm
Coup Democracy

What's up with Egypt? First, the Obama regime praises the Arab spring and says it is democracy in action. The people in Egypt have an election and elect Morsi to be their leader, because he promised change from the crippling economic conditions. After inauguration, the Egyptian economy continued to slide downward; so, people took to the streets insisting that they get a change from Morsi. They expected change after Morsi had only one year to improve things.

Well, Obama has had four and a half years to improve things, and things are still going downhill for me.

The Obama regime says they are not taking sides in Egypt. The Obama regime says they are concerned that the military has taken over from Morsi. The Obama regime says they would like to see another democratic election in Egypt.

How about in America? Can we have a do-over? Can we have another democratic election for president in November, 2013? What's fair for the Morsi gander should also be fair for the Obama goose!

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 07/04/13 - 07:04 am
RM

Too cool, now tell us the next one. Happy 4th everyone!

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 07/04/13 - 07:35 am
HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMERICA

Now all you foreigners (illegal) who have no intention whatsoever of becoming an American citizen get your butts back to work. That way true Americans can enjoy the freedom so many of my brothers and sisters in arms died for without hearing how great your country is. If it is that great, why are you here?

corgimom
corgimom 07/04/13 - 07:23 am
I'd rather have someone use a

I'd rather have someone use a racial slur and tell the truth about it, then be a liar and insist that they did it.

It's sad when honesty is punished. It's also sad when someone is destroyed over something stupid. All she's guilty of is bad taste.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 07/04/13 - 07:33 am
The only thing she is

The only thing she is "guilty" of is growing up in the south in the 60's.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 07/04/13 - 07:41 am
Y'all have fun

I must go burn some fossil fuel. Since we are headed to Philadelphia it would be neat to see the place the Declaration of Independence was signed. But somehow I just don't think they would have room to park 75 feet of tractor and trailer.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/04/13 - 08:08 am
Good Morning "Happy 4th July" America.

This day since 1776, this great Nation has celebrated this day as the Birth Of American Independence.

Read Rants 2, 3, 4, 7, 8 and 9.

Review in your minds (as you Bar-B-Que your hotdogs and hamburgers)all that has happened in this Free Country in the past 4 1/2 years under the great leadership of out King SMNCICBHO(M), the Hammer & Sickle man, ask yourself, do you really feel that Independence, Security, Pride, Honor, A Nation founded under God, a Constitution of laws that are broken and ignored and everything that makes your day and the future of the to be born Americans worth living......

If you say Yes, I really do.....

Then I wish you a Happy 4th, because you are the ones that have sowed the end of what is considered "The Birth Of America."

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/04/13 - 08:50 am
King George

I see the Associated Press has published a synopsis of President Obama's radio address "urging Americans on the Fourth of July to live up to the words of the Declaration of Independence."

Has he ever read those words? Here are some of my thoughts:

The Declaration of Independence says of King George, of England:

He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance.

Sounds kind of like Obamacare, doesn't it.

The Declaration of Independence says of King George:

He has dissolved Representative Houses repeatedly, for opposing with manly firmness his invasions on the rights of the people. He has refused for a long time, after such dissolutions, to cause others to be elected; whereby the Legislative powers, incapable of Annihilation, have returned to the People at large for their exercise; the State remaining in the mean time exposed to all the dangers of invasion from without, and convulsions within. He has endeavoured to prevent the population of these States; for that purpose obstructing the Laws for Naturalization of Foreigners; refusing to pass others to encourage their migrations hither, and raising the conditions of new Appropriations of Lands.

That's a mouthful, but it sounds to me to be similar to Obama's blocking state governments from helping to enforce immigration laws. And it also reminds us that Obama ignores his duty to enforce immigration laws, unless it suits his political agenda.

The Declaration of Independence says of King George, of England:

He has combined with others to subject us to . . . imposing Taxes on us without our Consent. . . .

Sounds like the Tea Party people got it right — we are taxed enough already.

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/04/13 - 08:49 am

Few people now of days understand principles that this country was founded on.

Our family look at it as: Freedom, equal justice for all citizens, honesty, personal responsibility, morals, representative/limited taxes and above all a GODLY path.

It was not founded on Abortion Rights, Sexual Liberation, buying your way out of criminal acts, Atheism, Fear a of Nosy growing Big Brother, The imposing Slave level taxes, wars every 10 years, Constitutional upheaval every 20 years and legal double standards between classes and racial groups.

So much has changed because of the "Flower Power" do what you want "Its Cool Man" generation of the 60's. Change was needed yes, but not a moral revolution.

To our veterans I salute and thank you.

To the citizens defending and voting to protect the basic fabric of USA, I sincerely thank you.

To those that scheme or plot against the USA.
I look forward to meeting you and changing your
mind peacefully, if at all possible .

BTW: CG ..... My wife after meeting you yesterday, commented on your Southern Hospitality, warm, gentle and sincere manner. She said it was the best southern gentleman manners she has seen in a long time.

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/04/13 - 09:00 am
Enlight of the Paul D overblown situation I had to share this

A new nationally respected poll revealed.

Thirty-seven percent (37%) of American Adults think most black Americans are racist, according to a new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey. Just 15% consider most white Americans racist, while 18% say the same of most Hispanic Americans.

Among polled Black Americans, 31% think most blacks are racist, while 24% consider most whites racist and 15% view most Hispanics that way.

I guess Black America needs to stop stereotyping White ___ Crackers, Red Necks, ______'s and also using that certain word.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/04/13 - 09:04 am
Thanks Mrs. nocnoc

I really regret not being able to spend some one on one quality time together. Got a call about 30 minutes after yours to deliver my Grandgirl to North Augusta. My son let all employee go home early and the daughter-in-law, mother and executive secretary ask to bring her to the shop.
I hope I can extend that converted Yankee Southern hospitality real soon.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/04/13 - 09:22 am
A Grand Firework Ending

Every year my son who has a friend who owns a Firework business and gets around 20 minutes of (almost illegal) fireworks for our get together with many neighbors and friends. I say it is very completive with local displays.

Well, last year we floated the whole works on a flat bottom boat with the 2, 4' x 8' sheets of plywood and everything fused together out to the middle of the pond.

The ending was spectacular, the plywood caught afire and the what was the flat bottom boat in now in 49' feet of water. "Great ending"

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/04/13 - 09:35 am
We need another Paul Revere

You know the rest. In the books you have read,
How the British Regulars fired and fled,—
How the farmers gave them ball for ball,
From behind each fence and farm-yard wall,
Chasing the red-coats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.

So through the night rode Paul Revere;
And so through the night went his cry of alarm
To every Middlesex village and farm,—
A cry of defiance and not of fear,
A voice in the darkness, a knock at the door
And a word that shall echo forevermore!
For, borne on the night-wind of the Past,
Through all our history, to the last,
In the hour of darkness and peril and need,
The people will waken and listen to hear
The hurrying hoof-beats of that steed,
And the midnight message of Paul Revere.

But ooh how the national news would attack him.....I really hope SOMEONE comes out of the Rep party & can make us want to follow him........he would have to be a "tough" son of a gun ....(my wish today.)

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/04/13 - 09:36 am
Thinking Words From Our Leader

Obama to College Students: Do Not Celebrate Fourth of July

July 2, 2013
As the country prepares to celebrate its independence from Great Britain President Obama had a completely different message for a group of Congressional Summer interns in Washington:

Obama Speaks to Congressional Summer Interns

“America is a great country. There is no denying this. However, I caution you all as you step forward in your careers. Peer back into history and ask yourselves- Was a revolution truly necessary? Great Britain may not have had it completely right, but they had many things right. Take taxes for example. If your neighbor makes $1 Million a year, but you and your family can barely keep the heat on should he not help your family? God instructs us to help our neighbors. He does not instruct us to look down upon them though the windows of capitalism. Why then on the Fourth of July should you celebrate such a radical break from what is Godly and just? No doubt there are many voices warning you of the harm of big government. They are wrong. Government can provide you with what family and friends cannot. If this is gone what will you have?”

Many in the crowd seemed uneasy, and desperate for some sort of clarification. Julie Barks, an intern from Louisiana State University, asked President Obama, “Are you saying we should not celebrate the birth of our country?”

President Obama responded, ”I believe we should celebrate where we are going. Celebrate moving forward. Not where we have been.”

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/04/13 - 09:38 am
Nice

to see you back TSD!

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/04/13 - 09:46 am
Black on black crime

I can't watch the news lately because it really makes me sick.....especially the Zimmerman trial......weekly we read of the many deaths in the black neighborhoods.......weekly-daily-yearly......put some importance on THAT! But wait...that wouldn't excite the national news would it!!

Black-on-black murder is at an all-time high. It was revealed that each year, roughly 7,000 blacks are murdered and 94 percent of the time the murderer is another black person.

STORY: HE HAS A NAME: Kendrec McDade, Shot To Death By Pasadena Police

According to a study conducted by the Bureau of Justice Statistics, between 1976 and 2011 there were 279,384 black murder victims, which means that 262,621 were murdered by other blacks, resulting in the 94 percent figure.

Even though blacks make-up only 13 percent of the nation’s population, they account for more than 50 percent of homicide victims.

Read more: http://globalgrind.com/news/7000-black-people-murdered-each-year-other-b...

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/04/13 - 10:10 am
This needs to SINK in..

It’s a tragic commentary to be able to say that young black males have a greater chance of reaching maturity on the battlefields of Iraq and Afghanistan than on the streets of Philadelphia, Chicago, Detroit, Oakland, Newark and other cities.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 07/04/13 - 10:11 am
Noc

Were you in Nam is the 60's - I wasn't, but I was having a hell of a time in the States - lost a lot of good friends - and you're making me laugh too loud - yes, we wanted Peace and a moral resolution to what our leaders were doing. Now here we sit cussing about Obama and no one has done a damn thing except maybe the Tea Party and they aren't getting anywhere. LL - thanks for the posting - too cool -

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/04/13 - 10:14 am
The following is a Politically Incorrect, but factual Statistic.

Given quoted crime statistics.

If we only banned 13 % of the population from owning firearms.
we would reduce murders by 50% in Amercia.

I neither support of propose such a move.

Because like all currently UN-constitutional moves a foot to circumvent the 2nd amendment. It fails to take into account a very extremely small percent of people that misuse a firearm. White , Black, Asian, Hispanic or others included.

Since the Fed's haves weird ways of compiling statistics, to produce outcomes based for agendas. It should be asked how many of the deaths were Black Americans defending themselves from other Black Americans.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/04/13 - 10:17 am
Something Mentaly Wrong With This So Called Human

Obama to Third World: You can’t have cars, air conditioning…
Wed, 07/03/2013

Barack Obama at Georgetown

Rising living standards in Africa are apparently something to be frowned upon. During a townhall with the President of South Africa, President Barack Obama told people in Africa that cars and air conditioning in Africa are a threat to the environment and warned that the “planet will boil over”:

President Barack Obama said at a town hall event in Johannesburg, South Africa, on Saturday that unless we find new way of producing energy “the planet will boil over” if people in Africa are allowed to attain air conditioning, automobiles and big houses.

“Ultimately, if you think about all the youth that everybody has mentioned here in Africa, if everybody is raising living standards to the point where everybody has got a car and everybody has got air conditioning, and everybody has got a big house, well, the planet will boil over — unless we find new ways of producing energy.”
[…]
According to Obama, global warming constitutes “the biggest challenge we have environmentally,” one greater than all other environmental calamities like “dirty water, dirty air.”

However, the President’s statements do not reflect statistics released by the United Nations: Based on a data released in October, 2012, the World Health Organization estimated that “Global warming” is responsible for approximately 140,000 excess deaths each year.

By comparison, as many as three million people died from indoor and outdoor air pollution – in other words, over 20 times the number of alleged victims of global warming, according to the Word Health Organization.

So…the people of South Africa broke the chains of apartheid only to be told that they can’t have certain amentities and luxuries that people in the United States enjoy if he doesn’t approve…because, you know, DOOM! Or something.

Isn’t it telling that the President of the United States, which has prospered from our mostly free economic system (by comparison with the rest of the world), is shunning our standard of living? He’s essentially saying, “Hey, guys, I know you want to be like us and have cool air-con and a car, but the advancements we’ve made in modern technology are totes killing the planet.” In short, Obama thinks you’re a terrible person if you want these things. You’re gonna make the world burn! [/sarcasm]

The next day, President Obama rolled out his energy plan for African, promosing $7 billion to “invest” in clean energy, which is in keeping with the anti-consumer energy plan for the United States that he rolled out last week. Whether they have help from the United States or not, these are developing nations that are facing very real issues and problems.

Moreover, it’s exceedingly arrogant for any leader to tell the people of a foreign nation how they should handle energy policy. President Obama did exactly that by urging Africans to shun energy companies that promote fossil fuels and encouraging investment in forms of energy of which he approves.

The lives of Africans are necessarily improved by investing in energy sources that are affordable. The idealism of the environmental Left, as presented by President Obama, will keep these people poor and in sub-par living conditions.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/04/13 - 10:17 am
Canadian prescp med link

Lilly is in need of that link she said...I don't have it ....does anyone ??

Even though I could use some good cheap feel good meds right at this moment!

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/04/13 - 10:23 am
Set an example haha

Maybe Obama needs to set an example for the Africanees....he could give up his ac home--cars--planes--etc....& put hs money where is mouth is....

Don't ya just know that they will freely give up luxuries because HE SAID SO....nahhhh......don't see it happening.

'Go Downtown' initiative gets mixed reviews

The "Go Downtown" initiative aims to foster a downtown environment that welcomes the college community and creates business for merchants. The event is held every third Thursday of the month ...