Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

GRIPE. AUGUSTA DRIVER’S LICENSE office. My wife was told that her U.S. citizenship was “too old.” Her Philippine birth certificate didn’t look “official.” And she was told that our Philippine marriage certificate didn’t look “official.”

Come on, Georgia, we can do better.

IF AUGUSTA WANTS TO prosper, let her sell the top two-thirds of the downtown levee as fill dirt and market the riverfront property to private developers. Turning mills into dorms is a pretty idea, but allowing downtown to be fun is the ultimate revenue generator, and a net profit for the city from the get-go; No investment necessary!

PEOPLE OF MARTINEZ: If you’re traveling on Evans to Lock Road and taking a right turn at the light onto Furys Ferry, there is a new “No Right Turn On Red” sign directly in front of the turn lane aside the stop light ... so ... STOP HONKING AT ME FOR ABIDING BY TRAFFIC LAWS! This includes you, West Lake!

I CAN’T BELIEVE THE Chronicle wasted time and ink on a story about a woman from Virginia who met a guy at the gas station at 5 a.m., took him to her hotel room and was robbed. There were no other stories that needed to be covered? Was she really just visiting from “Virginia” or was she “working”? Worst story ever.

HAVEN’T WE LEARNED by now that there is no constitutional authority for the federal government to “give” thousands of dollars of taxpayer money for something like a “fishing pond” in Augusta? Also, that $50,000 just adds $50,000 more to what we taxpayers owe while Obama is spending a million dollars a trip to fly himself and his family around the world.

DON’T LET THE socialists in control put revenue-negative government boondoggles on the riverfront ever again.

I’VE MISPLACED MY cousin’s cellphone number. I wonder if I can get it from the NSA?

I WOULD LIKE TO THANK Staff Sgt. Jackson who shared our table at Myabi Kyoto restaurant, and treated my wife, my daughter and son-in-law and myself to dinner. It was totally unexpected. The waiter said that he paid the bill because he frequently had been the recipient of kindnesses and wanted to return the favor. Once again, Staff Sgt. Jackson, thank you for your service to our great country and God Bless you.

Darby
Darby 07/01/13 - 05:04 pm
I’VE MISPLACED MY cousin’s cellphone

number. I wonder if I can get it from the NSA?

Of course you can. And while you're at it, could you ask them for my blood type?

I can't find my old dog tags and I'd like to update the info on my new computer.

Jake
Jake 07/01/13 - 05:08 pm
Ledbetter&Lakeman

I found and read about Lilly Ledbetter on Google. I could not find anything about Doris Lakeman. Who is she?

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 07/01/13 - 06:26 pm
Doris was the founder of woman's rights/affirm. Action on FG

Most if not all the women were not qualified. I personally thought the veterans should get first shot at the jobs.

KSL
KSL 07/01/13 - 06:52 pm
corgi

My first job was in the 60's. I never had a problem gettiing a job because I was a female.

My husband did get laid off from his the first job he had after we got married, in part to make room for returning vets. Also because they knew he would be picked up immediately, which he was. It actually got him back on the track he wanted to be on.

KSL
KSL 07/01/13 - 06:53 pm
Never ever.

Never ever.

KSL
KSL 07/01/13 - 07:00 pm
Never been turned down for a

Never been turned down for a job. I have been kept on to train and called back to train. I have been sought out to work when I wasnot working and I have been recruited. Affirmative actiion was never involved.

Sorry you had a different experience, corgi.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 07/01/13 - 07:12 pm
Hopefully - we soon will have a president with gonads

Civil Service is for our vets - and if the vets want to dance while serving with the IRS - let em dance - and we know they won't act let they're from the Gestapo

burninater
burninater 07/01/13 - 09:33 pm
Did y'all know that if you

Did y'all know that if you use Google Chrome, you can now drag and drop images to be searched?

It's very interesting.

For example, if you drag-and-drop poster's portraits that look so exceptionally like a professional headshot that you just have to wonder, you can find out incredibly enlightening facts like this one:

Who knew our own HA was so FAMOUS!

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/02/13 - 08:48 am
burn

THAT is interesting....hahah

Paine plans furloughs, salary cuts, layoffs

Paine College President George C. Bradley on Friday announced the college will implement furlough days, salary reductions and layoffs to save $2.4 million over the next fiscal year.