Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

GRIPE. AUGUSTA DRIVER’S LICENSE office. My wife was told that her U.S. citizenship was “too old.” Her Philippine birth certificate didn’t look “official.” And she was told that our Philippine marriage certificate didn’t look “official.”

Come on, Georgia, we can do better.

IF AUGUSTA WANTS TO prosper, let her sell the top two-thirds of the downtown levee as fill dirt and market the riverfront property to private developers. Turning mills into dorms is a pretty idea, but allowing downtown to be fun is the ultimate revenue generator, and a net profit for the city from the get-go; No investment necessary!

PEOPLE OF MARTINEZ: If you’re traveling on Evans to Lock Road and taking a right turn at the light onto Furys Ferry, there is a new “No Right Turn On Red” sign directly in front of the turn lane aside the stop light ... so ... STOP HONKING AT ME FOR ABIDING BY TRAFFIC LAWS! This includes you, West Lake!

I CAN’T BELIEVE THE Chronicle wasted time and ink on a story about a woman from Virginia who met a guy at the gas station at 5 a.m., took him to her hotel room and was robbed. There were no other stories that needed to be covered? Was she really just visiting from “Virginia” or was she “working”? Worst story ever.

HAVEN’T WE LEARNED by now that there is no constitutional authority for the federal government to “give” thousands of dollars of taxpayer money for something like a “fishing pond” in Augusta? Also, that $50,000 just adds $50,000 more to what we taxpayers owe while Obama is spending a million dollars a trip to fly himself and his family around the world.

DON’T LET THE socialists in control put revenue-negative government boondoggles on the riverfront ever again.

I’VE MISPLACED MY cousin’s cellphone number. I wonder if I can get it from the NSA?

I WOULD LIKE TO THANK Staff Sgt. Jackson who shared our table at Myabi Kyoto restaurant, and treated my wife, my daughter and son-in-law and myself to dinner. It was totally unexpected. The waiter said that he paid the bill because he frequently had been the recipient of kindnesses and wanted to return the favor. Once again, Staff Sgt. Jackson, thank you for your service to our great country and God Bless you.

Humble Angela 07/01/13 - 10:26 am
So you enjoy knowing that

So you enjoy knowing that your sex or race are used in consideration for hiring or promotion? I am personally insulted by it.

corgimom
corgimom 07/01/13 - 10:36 am
You weren't around in the old

You weren't around in the old days, where your sex meant you didn't even get considered for a job, let alone a promotion. You just don't know how bad it used to be. The way it used to be- now, THAT was insulting.

Not to mention, if you worked alongside a man, he got paid more than you did- to do the exact same job.

There were entire careers closed to women, for no other reason that they were a woman.

Oh, if only you knew how bad it really, really was, you wouldn't be insulted for one second.

corgimom
corgimom 07/01/13 - 10:44 am
Let me give you an example,

Let me give you an example, HA.

As part of Affirmative Action, I was hired in the paint department at Sears. I was the first female ever hired in that department for all the Southern California Sears.

They had a written dress code for men and women. And, I am not making this up- I was expected to sell paint in a dress, hose, and heels.

I was expected to climb on the shelves in the stock room and bring down paint- 4 cans of premium paint weighed 52 lbs- again, wearing a dress, hose, and heels.

Can you imagine, climbing up shelves and hauling paint in high heels?

That's the way it was back then. And I got the dress code changed, after I said I couldn't possibly do that, it wasn't safe or appropriate, they had to change it for me, and then the other females followed suit.
But that change came after much discussion. Today, nobody would expect that or even discuss it for one minute. Today, we laugh at that idea, but they were serious, back in 1974.

Sweet son
Sweet son 07/01/13 - 11:02 am
@SeenitB4 Regarding your yard man.

My 77 year old neighbor came over the other day to help me get up some roots from where I had cut a tree down. We worked together for the first hour but into the second hour I was down on the ground pretending to help while he was still swinging an ax. At the end of the second hour I had to threaten him to get him to stop. He did stop but really didn't want to. LOL! He made me look terrible but we got most of the roots up. :)

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 07/01/13 - 11:20 am
corgi

I was also affected by affirmative action. I was told that even though I had done extremely well on the civil service exam, I could not be hired at that time due to the federal governments minority requirements.

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/01/13 - 12:18 pm

harley_52
harley_52 07/01/13 - 12:12 pm
Like Labor Unions....

Affirmative Action laws once had a place. Also like labor unions, it's time to move on.

Also, AA laws had to do with hiring, or admissions, not what shoes to wear at work.

These days, employers bend over backwards to find competent, qualified employees without regard to AA laws. AA programs are now used to discriminate AGAINST white people and some blacks want to keep it that way.

thauch12
thauch12 07/01/13 - 12:18 pm
Stop Honking

FYI that "no turn on red" sign was actually taken down last week so the ranter no longer has anything to complain about.
Good riddance too, it was put up purely as a money generator. That intersection is highly visible (you can see at least 2000 feet in either direction) and not all that busy anyway.

KSL
KSL 07/01/13 - 12:21 pm
Seenit

Has told us about the ratios in Fulton Co.So when is the pendulum going to swing back. Or is it just about payback?

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/01/13 - 12:29 pm
MEGA MAJOR RANT TO THE N.E.A.

The VP of the NEA speaking to 3,000 assembled "progressive activists" aka LIBERAL ACTIVISTS, at this year's Netroots Nation conference was clear where she stood on the US Constitution 2nd amendment and the US Constitution. She boldly declared the NRA and Second Amendment supporters, and of politicians and lobbyists working to promote gun rights area are going to HELL.

Remember this is the NEA VP of the NATIONAL TEACHER UNION that is strongly supported by the Social Democrats and is allowed to major input into the National Dept. of Education educational curriculum.

Vladimir Lenin Said clearly almost 90 years ago.
Give me four years to teach the children and the seed I have sown will never be uprooted.

I wonder what seeds the NEA is planting in its garden.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/01/13 - 12:57 pm
ksl....article you wanted

---------------------------------------

Racial mix of Fulton’s workforce way off from county population

Posted: 6:39 p.m. Saturday, April 27, 2013

Email 163Facebook 471Twitter 18ShareThis 891

By Johnny Edwards- The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Fulton County’s government workforce no longer looks like Fulton County. Census figures put the population at 48 percent white and 45 percent black, but 83 percent of the county government’s 5,500 employees are black and 14 percent are white.

Read the complete story...

The story you’re reading is premium content and is accessible to all AJC subscribers on our new premium website, MyAJC.com. Simply login to get total access to this story and all in-depth content from our print edition plus more. A condensed version of this story is available to all online readers on our free website, ajc.com.

Humble Angela 07/01/13 - 01:45 pm
Corgi..let me give YOU an

Corgi..let me give YOU an example. My good friend interviewed for a promotion, and according to the interviewers, he scored highest. However, Human Resources changed the numbers so that a black female who scored lower could get the promotion. Explain how that is a good thing. I'm not saying things were great 40 or 50 years ago, but the system we have now is no better than the system it was created to fix. People are now MANDATED to use gender and race in hiring decisions. That is wrong.

Humble Angela 07/01/13 - 01:55 pm
According to the 2008 Census

According to the 2008 Census the racial demographics for ARC is 54.7% Black or African American, 39.1% White, yet every Affirmative Action plan in the area says that effort shall be made to ensure "minorities" are proportionally represented according to the area's demographics. Interestingly enough, "minorities", in EVERY instance is still considered the blacks, who make up 54.7% of the population. Try to tell me this isn't payback for something that I didn't even do.

corgimom
corgimom 07/01/13 - 02:07 pm
In San Diego, all the good

In San Diego, all the good jobs gave preference points to veterans. it was nearly impossible to get government jobs (unless they were low-level, low-paying jobs that no man would want) because of that preference. It was de facto sex discrimination.

I took an exam, scored 100 on it- and veterans who scored lower than I did but had been in the service were put ahead of me, regardless of what they had done in the service.

If you were a white female in San Diego County, your chances of getting a good job, that you could advance in, was zero.

But I cannot tell you how many times over the years I was told "We're looking for a man for that position" and things like "I don't want to hire a woman, you'll go off and have a baby" and my favorite, "Men work harder, they are interested in a career, women just work for fun"

Humble Angela, you just have no idea how truly bad it was back then.

Humble Angela 07/01/13 - 02:15 pm
Anyone can be a veteran.

Anyone can be a veteran. Just volunteer. There is nothing I can do to become black. Can you explain how using race or gender as a deciding factor is relevant today, corgi? Replacing one form of discrimination with another is not a solution. Apparently, corgi, you have no idea how bad it is NOW. I live in the NOW, not the past.

Humble Angela 07/01/13 - 02:11 pm
So when will the real

So when will the real minorities be protected by Affirmative Action in ARC? I wouldn't hold your breath.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 07/01/13 - 02:22 pm
Angela

You go girl. Keep hitting.'em with facts.

Humble Angela 07/01/13 - 02:28 pm
Corgi.....all of the things

Corgi.....all of the things you mentioned are now AGAINST THE LAW, and you can bring up suit for it, yet discrimination against someone for being white or male is MANDATED BY LAW. How is this a good thing.

Humble Angela 07/01/13 - 02:35 pm
"You take the way things are

"You take the way things are now, for granted- it was women like me that made it possible for women like you."

If MORE racism and MORE sexism is your answer, then no thanks....I'll do it myself.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 07/01/13 - 02:52 pm
BS

Yep, I called it. Even "back then" OSHA would not allow climbing on a ladder in heels. Try again.

corgimom
corgimom 07/01/13 - 03:01 pm
Humble Angela, honey, you

Humble Angela, honey, you have no idea of how it was back then.

Why do you think all those laws were passed? They were fought for, and fought for hard, by women. Those laws didn't always exist. In fact, the Lilly Ledbetter Act was just signed into law in 2009. Educate yourself, there is still plenty of discrimination against women around.

And learn your American history. For women, the military offered few skilled jobs, few opportunities for advancement, few opportunities for promotion. That was all saved for the men. Women were not allowed in any combat role, and that's where someone advances in rank. It wasn't a question of "just go volunteer". When you say things like that, you show that you really don't understand how far we have come in the last 40 years. The opportunities for women in the military were extremely limited. They really were second-class citizens.

You seem to think that Affirmative Action is all about minorities. No it is not. You might be surprised to learn that in nursing schools, if you're male, you've got a good shot of getting in. Same way with a male as an elementary schoolteacher, because males are underrepresented in those jobs.

Because you see, those jobs were traditionally relegated to women.

And let me also let you in on a little secret that is relevant to TODAY-all those laws you talk about? Most of it is all talk. Very few women can afford to bring suits for sexual discrimination, and they rarely win. That's not in the past, that's the way it is right now. Educate yourself, please. You are young, and you still have a lot to learn.

Look up what happened to Lilly Ledbetter. It's a fascinating story.

Humble Angela 07/01/13 - 03:11 pm
" For women, the military

" For women, the military offered few skilled jobs, few opportunities for advancement, few opportunities for promotion. "

But when you got out you were a veteran, with veteran's preference ....weren't you?

Humble Angela 07/01/13 - 03:14 pm
"Of course, that doesn't fit

"Of course, that doesn't fit into your theories about how Affirmative Action is all about minorities. And it's sad, because you don't really understand what Affirmative Action really is. "

Direct quote from local AA policy.

" In accordance with Executive Order 1124 6, as
amended, the [company name]
Minority/Female Affirmative Action Plan is developed on a calendar year basis as implementation of the
Policy on Equal Employment Opportunity. As part of the affirmative action
program, employment decisions and compensation systems are monitored and Page 7 of 27 examined so that the impact of those systems on women and minorities may be
evaluated. The Affirmative Action Plan includes those policies, practices and procedures
implemented to ensure all qualified applicants and employees are receiving equal opportunity for recruitment, selection, advancement, and every
other term and privilege associated with
employment. Affirmative action is a part
of the way the company regularly conducts its
business."

How is this NOT about minorities? And since it IS about "minorities" as it clearly states, why aren't white males the one's protected?

Humble Angela 07/01/13 - 03:12 pm
"But the part about it's now

"But the part about it's now AGAINST THE LAW- that made me laugh, loudly. It still happens all the time. Because the employers know that their chances of getting sued are about nil, and they have about 100% chance of winning even if they are sued. "

Prove it.

Humble Angela 07/01/13 - 03:15 pm
Just tell me corgi....do you

Just tell me corgi....do you think it is right to use someone's sex or race as a factor when hiring or promoting? If so, why?

Humble Angela 07/01/13 - 03:19 pm
You can keep talking down

You can keep talking down about my age all you want, but I am presenting actual FACTS, and I know what I'm talking about. Try refuting them.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 07/01/13 - 03:22 pm
I call it again

As a veteran I can assure you that advancement came to those in non-combat roles. How do I know? I was one of them in a non-combat roll.T

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 07/01/13 - 03:28 pm
CMom

Every boss I had came onto me - I made it clear I wanted to learn and
Move ahead - I learned everyone's job and was promoted for that - not my looks but my knowledge - and I was great in the looks dept - this was in 1970 until I retired

itsanotherday1
41915
itsanotherday1 07/01/13 - 03:38 pm
There have been hard won

There have been hard won fights for equal rights for women and minorities both over the past 100+ years. Those fights were just and needed; but as Harley points out, are well past their usefulness now. In these days of worldwide competition for business, companies simply want the best, brightest, and most competent employees they can hire.

It is a shame that any person who has worked hard for a position or student slot has to be denied to give it to someone else for the purpose of social engineering. You want it? Earn it!

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 07/01/13 - 03:47 pm
CMom

Gave me a TD? I was a military brat with many brothers - no affirm. action there - I watched what Doris Lakeman did for y'all - I refused to be a part of it!