Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

GRIPE. AUGUSTA DRIVER’S LICENSE office. My wife was told that her U.S. citizenship was “too old.” Her Philippine birth certificate didn’t look “official.” And she was told that our Philippine marriage certificate didn’t look “official.”

Come on, Georgia, we can do better.

IF AUGUSTA WANTS TO prosper, let her sell the top two-thirds of the downtown levee as fill dirt and market the riverfront property to private developers. Turning mills into dorms is a pretty idea, but allowing downtown to be fun is the ultimate revenue generator, and a net profit for the city from the get-go; No investment necessary!

PEOPLE OF MARTINEZ: If you’re traveling on Evans to Lock Road and taking a right turn at the light onto Furys Ferry, there is a new “No Right Turn On Red” sign directly in front of the turn lane aside the stop light ... so ... STOP HONKING AT ME FOR ABIDING BY TRAFFIC LAWS! This includes you, West Lake!

I CAN’T BELIEVE THE Chronicle wasted time and ink on a story about a woman from Virginia who met a guy at the gas station at 5 a.m., took him to her hotel room and was robbed. There were no other stories that needed to be covered? Was she really just visiting from “Virginia” or was she “working”? Worst story ever.

HAVEN’T WE LEARNED by now that there is no constitutional authority for the federal government to “give” thousands of dollars of taxpayer money for something like a “fishing pond” in Augusta? Also, that $50,000 just adds $50,000 more to what we taxpayers owe while Obama is spending a million dollars a trip to fly himself and his family around the world.

DON’T LET THE socialists in control put revenue-negative government boondoggles on the riverfront ever again.

I’VE MISPLACED MY cousin’s cellphone number. I wonder if I can get it from the NSA?

I WOULD LIKE TO THANK Staff Sgt. Jackson who shared our table at Myabi Kyoto restaurant, and treated my wife, my daughter and son-in-law and myself to dinner. It was totally unexpected. The waiter said that he paid the bill because he frequently had been the recipient of kindnesses and wanted to return the favor. Once again, Staff Sgt. Jackson, thank you for your service to our great country and God Bless you.

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/30/13 - 09:32 pm
Breeching the levee

Keep in mind the fish huggers are trying to get every dam removed and have been very successful in a number of situations. The Lock-n-Dam project is one example. Augusta Chanel Trout project may require the Locks be opened also.

To them, EPA and the political party that counts on the
environmentalists votes every 4 years, Augusta's safety is unimportant, but fish above human lives is.

My 3 uncles worked to build that levee, they told me of the downtown floods before the dam and how the levee help stop them.

Besides unless a ARC Taxpaying residents ONLY Land Lottery is held, we all know who would end up with the land via several LLC shell companies.

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/30/13 - 09:32 pm
Come on.... Once an a while

Come on....

Once an a while the AC tosses us a easy bone to chew on.
We had a lot of fun with Forrest Gumps Sister from VA. and the less than brilliant logic of her actions.

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/30/13 - 09:33 pm
Regarding constitutional

Regarding constitutional authority...

Who in Washington or downtown is worried about constitutional authority, when it comes to lining their pockets and buying votes or donations?

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/30/13 - 09:33 pm
Socialists should never be

allowed to manage taxpayer $$$$ or the budget.
They want to take it from wage earners, give it away to people not willing to earn it.

Then print more.

Deficit spending is killing the USA in the last 4 years we have gone from $4.2 Trillion in 2000 to (CBO /GAO figures) of $16.975 Trillion June 29th at 10:29pm

President Santos (Obama) an acknowledged socialist was the driving force in doubling the national debt in 4 years.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 06/30/13 - 09:45 pm
"Congressional authority...?"

There is no authority, under Congress' powers or the Constitution for such things as FEMA, or ANY of the programs of the war for poverty (can't be 'on' as it's created more). For those too young or with short memories, we got the term "borked" when court nominee Bork was ambushed by Democrats for his extreme views-- one of them being that there was no authority to fund giving money taken from one citizen to another. A firmly held and practiced legal decision until the court was neutered by the threat of being packed by FDR. Couldn't let there be a return to that principle; or the entire liberal plantation voting machine would be de-funded.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 06/30/13 - 09:47 pm
dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 06/30/13 - 09:51 pm
"...we have gone from $4.2 Trillion in 2000

... to (CBO /GAO figures) of $16.975 Trillion... June 29th... (2013)"

Wow, that Bush continues to do a lot of evil!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/30/13 - 10:56 pm
nocnoc, about the levee thing.

I agree with the rest of your sentiment, but I don't believe the levee serves any useful purpose since the construction of the Clark's Hill Dam. In fact it creates a bit of a bowl effect behind it, blocking flow into the river of runoff coming from "the Hill". Flood projection maps I've seen show water in a dam break would flow in reverse up the creeks and estuaries that now feed the river below the dam, minimizing the "wall of water" people think the levee would stop. It would also wind up behind the levee from the flooding into those same creeks and estuaries, with the levee blocking the eventual runoff as the water flowed down into Richmond County from Columbia Co. That doesn't even account for what would flow into Carolina.

Remove the levee, it serves no practical function any longer.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/30/13 - 10:59 pm
'Virginia woman" story

That tells you a lot about Augusta. That is the kind of story that makes the headlines in a county of 15,000.

demji2
demji2 06/30/13 - 11:24 pm
@ Gripe. Augusta Driver's License

I feel your irritation. When my two sons hit driving age they were refused their permits because their Wisconsin-issued birth certificates didn't look "right" to them. I explained to them I could order a dozen birth certificates and they'd all look the same ...cited the "Full Faith and Credit" clause of the Constitution...and finally had to just simply threaten a lawsuit. Sheesh.

corgimom
corgimom 07/01/13 - 03:39 am
It isn't any different

It isn't any different anywhere else, either.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 07/01/13 - 05:28 am
I'd argue that the greater

I'd argue that the greater waste of time and ink than the story about the woman from Virginia is printing a rant about it.

junkyardpig
junkyardpig 07/01/13 - 06:02 am
poor service

departments here in augusta are run by the same type of people. ydc, driving services, tag office, dfacs. their rude, stupid, and are racists.

justthefacts
justthefacts 07/01/13 - 06:59 am
UGA vs Clemson- 62 Days

The Tigers' star wide receiver told a South Carolina newspaper columnist that he not only believes Clemson will beat the Bulldogs in what's expected to be a top-10 matchup but "beat the mess out of 'em." Sammy Watkins.
Thems fightin words right there!

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/01/13 - 07:06 am
seenitB4
seenitB4 07/01/13 - 07:08 am
Carcass

Is there any part of Deen's carcass that hasn't been devoured...let me know & I will try to cover it today..

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/01/13 - 07:11 am
STOP HONKING AT ME

Don't ya know they have their nail appts---tennis lessons--move outta the way......important stuff.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 07/01/13 - 07:12 am
When I go to renew

... my license, I plan to wear an Obama tee shirt, wrap a towel around my head and speak gibberish. Probably go to the head of the line and be offered a cookie while I wait...

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/01/13 - 07:18 am
Tired of our national news media?

I am....check the papers online of different countries...you might be in for a pleasant surprise.......a different view & not the same bs we hear everyday........tv anchors fill their spots with useless fluff......all seem to think they are experts ...they are not......also the trial is in overload ......updates would be enough BUT NO cnn has to go day/nite.....one good thing about the new laws up north...the gun companies are heading south...yea...more jobs for us...more to come.

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/01/13 - 07:24 am
I agree with you and the stated facts

Having seen the FEMA & USGS Flood maps I agree with your stated facts of the blow effect. IF the Clark Hill Dam is not removed.

An yes that discussion has been started inside the Tree & Fish Hugger circles.

Check out the Columbia River dam de-construction

Then check out all the
Dam removal projects in the United States listed so far.
All for those innocent little fish and the environment.

Note: The South tends to have a 10-20 year lag time behind the West coast nut jobs.

BTW: I don't trust the EPA or the Corp. Of Eng. Both have taken a environmentalist direction over logic too many times in recent years.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/01/13 - 07:23 am
JTF, Clemson vs UGA

JTF, both teams have a good shot at being the national champs. It's a shame one of them will be knocked out so early in the year. But, goodness, this game has created a stir. Close as the schools are they need to play more often.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 07/01/13 - 07:25 am
The first ranter should run

The first ranter should run for President. You don't have to show your birth certificate until years after you get the job, and even then it still doesn't have to look official.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/01/13 - 07:30 am
New Scandal Developing

The settlement GRU and Regent University in Virginia made is being kept secret apparently. I joked last week about what it probably was and Sylvia Cooper also joked about it yesterday. But the thing is this is a serious matter with Regent U. undoubtedly receiving something big.

The scandal developing now is the GRU comments that no money changed hands at the settlement. So that's creating the impression for the public that the whole matter was simply dropped without GRU being responsible for anything. I don't know about them passing money, but I'm willing to bet some Regent U. got lots of SOMETHING in the settlement. GRU, tell the truth and stop trying to hide the facts with misleading comments. I'm hoping the Chronicle can get to the bottom concerning this state owned school.

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/01/13 - 08:04 am
RACIST - Tag office, DMV, YDC ?????????

junkyardpig - Have you looked at the staff?

Who are they being racist against?
Whites!, Asians, Hispanics, Others?

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 07/01/13 - 08:04 am
Come on now nocnoc....you

Come on now nocnoc....you know that Affirmative Action only works one way.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/01/13 - 08:05 am
BUGGED?

PARIS — French President Francois Hollande is demanding that the United States immediately stop its alleged eavesdropping of the European Union.

According to weekend reports, U.S. intelligence agencies have bugged EU offices in three cities.

Hollande said on Monday during a trip to western France that "We cannot accept this kind of behavior."

Can we just say the whole dang world is bugged......because it is..

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/01/13 - 08:15 am
Short on cash...breakin a car..duh!!

Grant Harrison Keys, of 2505 Waterton Ridge Trail, Grayson and Logan Alexander Peerless, of 2505 Waterton Trail, Grayson, were arrested on June 27, 2013 after the owner of the vehicle they were allegedly breaking into caught them red-handed.

According to the report from the Gwinnett County Police Department, the victim went out onto his porch on Lakewood Circle in Grayson in the early morning to smoke a cigarette. While on the porch he saw someone inside his vehicle. Another man was seen lying face down in the driveway. The victim managed to catch the man who was lying in the driveway and called police. The suspect, who turned out to be Keys, allegedly told police he was entering autos to help Peerless, who was short on cash.
------------------------------------------------------

More & more the baddies are caught....be aware at all times.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/01/13 - 08:39 am
Benghazi coverup

I saw a program last night about the coverup...it made me sick on my stomach....so much for helping our own heh....& the stupid lies about the video was insane .....we are soo duped ...please read papers in other countries & other outlets for informatin....it seems getting elected is the plan & that goes for all sides..

seeya later.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/01/13 - 08:49 am
55 year ole man

There is a 55 year ole man in my back yard right now....he is cutting trees & going from tree to tree like he was 25 years ole...how do some do it!!!!!
What kind of vitamins do they take.....he has pics of the huge trees in th west that he has cut......amazing how some never age.

----------
p s ...I will add CGee to that list..:)

corgimom
corgimom 07/01/13 - 09:19 am
Humble Angela, I don't know

Humble Angela, I don't know how old you are, but I started working in the 1970's, right when Affirmative Action started, and prior to that, job opportunities for women were abysmal.

Affirmative Action helped all the women that are working today.

I was part of it, and it was women like me that made it easier for women today.