Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

YOU HAVE TO HAND IT to the World Changer volunteers and the great work they have been doing in Augusta. These South­ern Baptist teens from a number of states volunteer to spend a week of their summer doing acts of service transforming homes here in Augusta. What they are doing is certainly appreciated by all of us in Augusta.

RANTS TO WHOEVER decided to put the nonsensical “crowdsourced” section on the Sunday opinion page. None of the comments make any sense.

AUGUSTA RICHMOND-COUNTY is either going to be a Greenville or a Detroit. Personally, I think its current leadership and those aspiring to leadership will seal the deal for a Detroit. The best thing you can do is get your investment out before you lose what you have left.

TWO HUGE RAVES. One for the University Hospital ER staff. Top to bottom, they took great care of a family member. A second rave for the pharmacy staff at the 24-hour Walton Way Walgreens for taking great care of a new customer.

A BIG RAVE to Charley at the Fort Gordon post office. He is the singing postman, and while lines are always long, he entertains the soldiers and civilians alike, singing the oldies. Always pleasant and makes the wait not so bad!

OUR NATION is in debt $16 trillion. We have troops stationed in over 100 countries. We’re going to give amnesty to upwards of 11 million invading illegal aliens, and now Sen. Lindsey Graham wants us to enforce a no-fly zone over Syria. Does anyone else see a problem with this?

PEOPLE, THINK BEFORE you crazily chase an officer who is going fast without lights or sirens. They could be responding to a call where someone’s life could be endangered by sirens and lights. For instance, if I managed to make a call about a break-in at my home with one or more persons wandering around with who knows what weapons, do you think I want one or more panicked burglars to then starting shooting around or setting off an explosive because they realize law enforcement is closing in on them due to MY call? Think, people, think!

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 06/29/13 - 06:03 pm
"PEOPLE, THINK BEFORE you crazily chase an officer..."

That could get you shot as they characteristically overreact from embarrassment or fright. It's happened.

"Officer Friendly" is a mythic figure who only exists in school programs-like Barney. Stay clear. If you can't the message is clear: grovel!

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 06/29/13 - 06:08 pm
"... upwards of 11 million invading illegal aliens..."

For shame! Haven't you heard The One? There are no illegal aliens, that's a hurtful and judgmental term; (you're probably a racist, bigot and closet homophobe for even thinking that). They're, "Undocumented Democrats."

Jake
Jake 06/29/13 - 06:34 pm
I don't know.....

....why some folks like to talk down to police officers. Maybe they had some bad experiences in the past? There are bad apples in every organization but police officers, for the most part, do a very valuable service and I, for one, appreciate what they do.
I could not imagine waking up every day with the thought of what scum bag, pervert or potential idiot I was going to run into on my shift.

countyman
countyman 06/29/13 - 09:16 pm
Augusta is the city to watch

Greenville and Augusta are peer cities, and we should NEVER settle for becoming Greenville. I have no problems if somebody were to look at the positives of the city, and tried emulating them here in Augusta. Especially how the leaders got their citizens to realize downtown is the heartbeat of any community and that public/private partnerships are the best route until you can rely heavily on private investment.

The downtown area is better than Augusta, but they started on their revitalization before us. They managed to attract BMW, and the city does have more overall amenities because its an larger metro(575k vs 824k) .

The fact remains metro Augusta is the safest between the two. The median incomes, GDP, urban populations, etc are pretty much comparable. Augusta mall is really nicer due to the promenade compared to Haywood Mall.

Augusta was ranked 2nd for high tech job growth and 6th among the top digital cities. The GRU developments, Starbucks, NSA, future cyber command, and Plant Vogtle are located in metro Augusta. We need to emulate the success of Raleigh with the Cultural/Mills campuses in the CBD /Harrisburg, medical commons/future cancer center in the Medical District, etc. Attract more companies into the CBD to create an cluster with ESI, Rural Sourcing, the recently opened South Point Media, etc and into West Augusta(near ADP) specifically around the Augusta Echange to emulate San Francisco /San Jose. Then finally attract large buildings to open along Jimmie Dyess and Gordon Hwy near Fort Gordon. The growth related to the NSA opening in 2012, and the future cyber command/reorganization will emulate the success of the FEDS bringing growth to Huntsville or NOVA

The Starbucks/Rockwood in South Augusta, Hagler Systems in East Augusta, and Bridgestone in Aiken County proves metro Augusta should be next in line for an large automaker.

countyman
countyman 06/29/13 - 10:48 pm
Major growth coming to West Augusta!

I can't wait to hear the upcoming annoucments for the Village at Riverwatch. Hopefully the canal can be used similar to initial reports and transport citizens between downtown/West Augusta. Site preparations will be underway very soon.

Hopefully Whole Foods, Trader Joes, REI, Cheesecake Factory, J Crew, Anthropologie, Brooks Brothers, Chipotle, Dave & Busters, California Pizza Kitchen, etc are coming soon.

corgimom
corgimom 06/30/13 - 02:31 am
Countyman, I would like to

Countyman, I would like to hear your thoughts as how it can be that with all of this growth, the school system is in dire shape and the unemployment rate is over 8%.

I don't know what census figures you're looking at, Countyman, but here's what the 2010 census shows

Greenville Augusta
Per capita income $26,412 $20,393
Median HH income $48,518 $39,090
Poverty rate 14.7% 23.7%
Median value OO $150,100 $101,700
High school grad 85.0% 82.3%
Bachelor degree 25.0% 19.7%

I wouldn't call that comparable at all, Augusta lags behind Greenville in everything. The per capita income gap is particularly significant, higher per capita income plus a much higher population means they are far more prosperous than Augusta. They are over twice the size of Augusta.

Yes, Augusta needs to be more like Greenville. They are not peer cities at all.

Greenville also has a freeway that makes it incredibly easy to get to their Downtown. Augusta's downtown is difficult to get to from the Interstate, and it's all about location, location, location.

corgimom
corgimom 06/30/13 - 02:33 am
Whenever I see a police

Whenever I see a police officer speeding down the road, I get out of their way and say a prayer that nothing terrible is happening, and that everybody involved stays safe.

Guess it depends on your outlook on life.

Young Fred
19382
Young Fred 06/30/13 - 04:56 am
#1 “HAND IT to the World

#1 “HAND IT to the World Changer volunteers “

It's great that some give back. Especially the young. It's a great lesson to help others. It's also a life lesson. Not only to teach to help the less fortunate, but also to show that so many “use and abuse” the system. IT IS A LIFE LESSON ALL YOUTH SHOULD LEARN.

#3 “AUGUSTA RICHMOND-COUNTY is either going to be a Greenville or a Detroit”

I pray it is Greenville! What an awesome town! Alas, study the history of Oakland, Atlanta, Trenton, Chicago, Detroit. Which way are we headed? Greenville or Detroit? You tell me (hint – look to the history, you will see a pattern).

#4 “TWO HUGE RAVES. One for the University Hospital ER staff”

I hadn't visited University in about 14 years, I went two months ago and was very impressed with the professionalism of every single person I came in contact with. I was very surprised, came in all “gruffed” up ready to raise 15 kinds of hell, but each and every person, from the receptionist to the paper/file pusher, to the nurse, to the doctors, all impressed me. I'm still stunned from the experience!

#5 “Charley at the Fort Gordon post office”

Can we clone him? Maybe we can freeze and save his DNA. Maybe we can insist that all bureaucrats must have a “Charley” injection!

#6 OUR NATION is in debt $16 trillion...troops in 100 countries...amnesty for 11 million invading illegal aliens.. and now Sen. Lindsey Graham...

Sen. Graham is a lost cause! He has been “up there” too long and has absolutely no connection to the people any longer. He suffers from Washingtonittus. A serious disease that fools one into believing that your brain has morphed into superior state when in reality a cancer is eating it away.

#7 “PEOPLE, THINK BEFORE you crazily chase ...where someone’s life could be endangered by sirens and lights...do you think I want one or more panicked burglars to then starting shooting around or setting off an explosive …

Setting off an explosive?! Yegipes! The boys in blue dang sure have to put up with bullcrap in the first degree.

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/30/13 - 05:59 am
A MAJOR RAVE TO CG

George,

thank you for the wonderful time Saturday.
The hospitality, the food, friendly shoot competition, and camaraderie with everyone present was fabulous.

You are truly one of a kind and so was your party gathering.

NOC-NOC

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/30/13 - 06:06 am
Greenville, Mississippi Maybe?

I think Countyman was comparing Augusta to Greenville, Mississippi.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/30/13 - 06:10 am
Marvelettes

The singing postal clerk makes me want to go buy stamps there or something.

"Please Mister Postman, look and see
If there's a letter in your bag for me"

Wonder if he does the Marvelettes?

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/30/13 - 06:16 am
Last Night Was A Wakeup Call

for our Neighbor's and others.

Our Neighbor's a few doors down had a medical emergency, likely involving the onset of a stroke with their father.

With the Golden Hour minutes ticking away the family waited on the ambulance to finally arrive, assess their father and depart knowing the hour would likely be up before he arrived at the nearest emergency room.

I ask
Given the population density south of Bobby Jones in and around US-25/US-56, it seems this area could easily support a small 100 bed hospital with at least a Level 2 emergency room.

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/30/13 - 06:34 am
Why we decided to

Why we decided to move.

WALTON CO.

Vs.

ARC

Peace, Quiet, cooler, and small enough that the voters still have a say and when they gripe, they are listen to

KSL
KSL 06/30/13 - 06:45 am
nocnoc@6:59

We absolutely second that. CG and his family went tp great deal of trouble to see to it that it was a wonderful experience, as always. It was wonderful to to sees long time friends and meet new ones.

We thank all who participated, and especially our hosts.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/30/13 - 07:23 am
Columbia County News Times

The Columbia County News Times hasn't run an editorial since Barry Paschal left. They still have his name on the menu bar under opinion. The porch light is left on all day. Maybe we should get together some volunteers, go there, clean the place up, straighten out their website and refill the toilet paper in the bathrooms.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 06/30/13 - 07:24 am
Truly, a gracious host.

He and his lovely C-inC threw his house and facilities open in that characteristic open-handed way of Southern gentry, and each guest felt like they were the ONE. Thanks a million, CG!

And a note; there were a couple of dozen heavily armed folks there, there were adult beverages, yet not a cross word. Very much as people used to behave before society was fractured by political correctness.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/30/13 - 08:35 am
Dittos for me!!

"George,

thank you for the wonderful time Saturday.

You are truly one of a kind and so was your party gathering.

Itsanotherday"

PS. I enoyed meeeting some of my fellow travelers on the AC. Sorry I couldn't break bread and stay, but we had other commitments.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/30/13 - 09:21 am
Good Morning "No Shots Heard This Am" America.

Thanks You all for the heart warming comments.....but it should be the other way around. ""You All Made My Day" The pleasure was all mine. Thank you for coming.
As a born way upstate NY French Yankee turned Southern, you just can't beat the friendship of Southern Folks. To get together as friends without a word of Politics, Religion or Race is what America should be like.
The Range backboard looks like a screen with all them there holes in it.
A word to the outlaws roaming around, don't ever dare to infringe on the men and woman that were here. A guess what, all those weapons that fired 100's of rounds of ammo, not one weapon killed or injured anyone.
Sorry about being late for all this, but my day ended up in an all night "Card" game with my sons, Grandsons and neighbors.
Again, I want to Thanks you all and are welcome anytime to visit Cobalt Park.
I have a cane and binoculars that was left. I know who they belong to so just call me (CIC cell at (706) 825-9437 till I get a new phone) so I can return them to you.
Sean, you were missed.

dichotomy
dichotomy 06/30/13 - 09:34 am
CobaltGeorge.......A most

CobaltGeorge.......A most enjoyable day. Thanks to you, the C-in-C, and your family for making everyone feel welcome and included. I truly had a good day....except for when I let that slide on the .40 cal clip the end of my thumb. Careful where you put your thumb on those sub-compacts with a short grip.

Darby
Darby 06/30/13 - 09:52 am
"Especially how the leaders got their citizens

to realize downtown is the heartbeat of any community"

That may be true in so many cities but please forgive me for having doubts about Augusta.

I'm thinking that our community would be best served if we allowed economic realities to determine the "center" of our town, rather than constantly diverting resources to bring back life that has drained away.

I believe that Augusta has the potential to become a shining and attractive jewel in the state of Georgia. But only if left to grow and prosper in response to natural financial incentives and opportunities.

That's just my view... Call me crazy..

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 06/30/13 - 10:29 am
"...all those weapons that fired 100's of rounds of ammo,

... not one weapon killed or injured anyone..."

Yes, I was astonished to find upon returning home that all my weapons had behaved and not gone out on their own in my absence on some sort of gun violence spree.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 06/30/13 - 10:34 am
"...That's just my view... Call me crazy..."

No, crazy is defined as doing the same thing repeatedly thinking there will be a different result. It is the city which, by taking the county's money and pouring it down the rathole of the inner city, is acting insane.
Much like pouring Perrier in a cesspoll; no matter how much, it ain't gonna make it palatable.

Darby
Darby 06/30/13 - 10:38 am
"Much like pouring Perrier in a cesspoll"

A beautiful analogy. Wish I had come up with that. So apropos..

countyman
countyman 06/30/13 - 11:33 am
Peer cities

Corgimom.. All of the opinions who really matter consider them to be peer cities. I think you need to realize that developers compare the metros areas and not individual counties... Greenville is much further along in their downtown revitlzation, and that's why the main county is richer.

Augusta did attract Tin Drum Cafe, Apple, Imax, Sephora, Forever 21, etc before Greenville did.

The 2010 urban population of Greenville is 400k compared to the 386k in Augusta.

Riverman.. I clearly meant Greenville SC where some of the residents are mad because H&M is coming to Augusta Mall, and zero locations exist in South Carolina. Jackson, MS is the only comparable metro in the state of Mississippi with Augusta. Georgia is in really bad shape if a city in the peer group with Greenvile MS is ranked third in tourism in the state, and the third busiest airport. Ontop of having the only Apple/ Sephora/Costco/Pandora/Jared Galleria/PF Changs/etc in the state outside of Metro Atlanta. The residents of Columbia, SC will feel much worse now after finding out Augusta is not a peer city. They wouldn't be able to explain how a city in the peer group with Greenville, MS got Costco /PF Changs/Apple etc and they don't.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/30/13 - 10:49 am
Doo-wop Back-ups

That singing postal clerk is still on my mind. I would pay money to see this. People show up at the post office to be the doo- wop background to the singing clerk. He starts to sing and people break into doo-wop, doo-wop, doooooo-wop and start to move like back-up dancers. That would make national TV.

countyman
countyman 06/30/13 - 11:41 am
Downtown

Darby.. Rural Sourcing, Southpoint Media, ESI, etc have relocated downtown. The Medical District is already located in the urban core.

Where are the majority of events, festivals, etc held?
Where does GRU want to expand?
Where do the majority of the 1.5 million visitors go while here on an day trip?
Where did the Greenjackets want to build first?

What good jobs did the growth rate of Columbia County managed to attract? Taxslayer and what else?

Aiken County has Bridgestone and Recleim, but everybody can't work in the industrial field..

I think it's pretty clear where heartbeat of the community is. The fact remains certain companies, retail, etc like to form clusters of innovation, creativity, etc in urban areas.

Downtown is the best chance to attract boutiques and white collar office jobs. West Augusta is the second best location for those type of jobs.

dichotomy
dichotomy 06/30/13 - 12:01 pm
"I expected for the same

"I expected for the same usual people to respond, but as usual don't present all of the facts."

Here is a fact. South Augusta is getting guvmint built rental houses.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 06/30/13 - 12:41 pm
Sounds like the heartbeat of

Sounds like the heartbeat of the community is in dire need of an AED....

Tots
Tots 06/30/13 - 01:59 pm
About Cobalt Park,

It's like a little piece of heaven.. I enjoyed seeing old friends and meeting a few new ones.. I really enjoyed getting to see your wife's flowers and Koi pond.. Your place is beautiful and your family is so kind, and did indeeed make everyone feel welcomed..Thanks again for the food,flowers and friends..