Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

HAVING HEARD HORROR stories regarding poor service at the Augusta Social Secutity office, I was dreading the visit to clear up a minor problem. I visited the office during the lunch hour and, as expected, many of the service windows were closed. You could have knocked me over with a feather when my number was called within five minutes. The young man who helped me was courteous, patient and knowledgeable. As I sit here eating “crow,” I send a big rave to Craig Sollenberger for representing the Social Security office in such an admirable way.

IN THE PAST I HAVE been critical of Marion Williams and his obstructive ways of operating, but I now find myself fully endorsing his “Urban Veranda Concept” for downtown Augusta. This is a novel approach to bring life to the downtown section of the city, so let’s move on it. I am on your side this time, Marion!

THE NSA SURVEILLANCE program did not work so well when it came to stopping the two Boston terrorist bombers. Even the Russians warned us that these two were up to no good, but we ignored them because our fantastic surveillance program did not identify them.

CONGRATULATIONS TO all the local heroes honored by the Red Cross. Singling out any one of those on the list would not be fair since they all went beyond the call of duty. Let’s try to emulate what they were able to achieve as we proceed with our daily lives There are so many ways that we can become heroes!

I AM SO TIRED OF these deadbeat dads and moms who get babies by every ex-con there is in this country, then want the government to take care of them. Furthermore, they need to stop providing all this Section 8 housing for the moms. Get a job and pay for things like most working class people.

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/28/13 - 08:11 pm
A RANT to a Bidder that with off on a tirade recently.

We all read about the bidder that had a melt down and whined like a little child when not "Given a Present" for just showing up.

ANY small bidder would do well to heed some thoughtful suggestions to improve their chances in the future.

* A wide range of experience does not always suit a project.
When someone is paying for a King, they are not looking for a Jack of All Trades.

* Delivery is a BIG requirement, which means Governments want to see established companies, something with a historical track record. Not a small Virtual Start up that will hire IF they win the bid.

*You may not be qualified to do the work, as simply as that.
When building Dams people hire Dam Builders. So bidding on work with little or no focused experience, pretty much means you won't win.

* Don't forget Government Bids & Projects require contractors have insurance and many times be bonded. Especially if the contractor fails or has employees injured on Government Property. Or the contractor fails or goes under and another contractor has to pick up the work and straighten it out.

* Remember to build up a DB rating. Any bid solicitor must know if a contractor has the $$$$ to start and proceed to each payout point in the project.

But don't fret,
these are just a few of the learning points every bidder learns over the course of building their construction business and seeking bigger scope contracts. No one is picking on you, it is call "Seasoning".

BTW:
When told there are no requirements to include Minorities and Women owned businesses. The key word here is "requirements". No Bidder should be looking for a "GIVE ME" in ARC anymore, A Federal Judge has said so.

Plus think about this before blowing a fuse:

What company would partner with ANY Sub-contractor that has made
a Public Vented negative impression with ANY bid solicitor?

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 06/28/13 - 09:38 pm
"...Because border security needs to be a critical element

... of the bill, let’s push to make sure that it gets included."

Why? Just because it's in there is meaningless. We have a plethora of current laws which are not enforced by this rogue administration; what makes the poster think they'll want to stop the stream of "undocumentd Democratic voters"?

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 06/28/13 - 09:30 pm
"...THE NSA SURVEILLANCE program did not work

... when it came to stopping the two Boston terrorist bombers..."

That's because they were too wrapped up in targeting non-violent conservative groups. Besides, who said it wasn't effective? A successful bombing means more money for their Big Brother programs.

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 06/28/13 - 09:32 pm
"...Get a job

... and pay for things..."?

You must be a racist. Probably a bigot... and a homophobe.

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 06/28/13 - 09:38 pm
Nocnoc, "... (T)there are no requirements to include Minorities

... and Women owned businesses. The key word here is "requirements". No Bidder should be looking for a "GIVE ME" in ARC anymore, A Federal Judge has said so."

Yeah, then some other Federal judge will say just the opposite because of five hundred --or whatever-- "years of oppression". It's like zombie Reconstruction; dead, but won't lie down.

corgimom
corgimom 06/28/13 - 09:45 pm
dstewartjr, just what

dstewartjr, just what plethora of laws are not being enforced?

I knew that they didn't enforce DOMA, and they shouldn't have.

But what else?

JRC2024
JRC2024 06/28/13 - 09:56 pm
Amen to the last ranter. Give

Amen to the last ranter. Give them nothing.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/28/13 - 10:05 pm
Comment of the Month

Thank you nocnoc. You deserve the "Best Comment of the Month" award. I will give it to you for June and July.

KSL
KSL 06/29/13 - 06:28 am
Gee, corgi

They have not been enforcing our immigration laws. Where have you been?

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/29/13 - 06:38 am
Place to Park the EM-50 Urban Assault Vehicle?

Maybe this urban veranda will be a good place to park the EM-50 Urban Assault Vehicle under.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/29/13 - 06:53 am
Good Morning "29th" America

Notice, today is the Cobalt Park shootout and get together. Bad news my cell is in digital heaven. Anybody that is coming that needs direction or information call my CIC's cell at 706 825-9437. Parking is down by the pond. Walk across the lawn to the house. Hope to see you all here and it doesn't rain.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 06/29/13 - 06:53 am
Illegal Immigrants

Somehow just the "illegal" makes me think they have broken some kind of law or they would be legal immigrants. I could be wrong, and I must be wrong since they get all kinds of feebies from the government designed for legal folks.

Something else to think about on this amnesty thingy. If I get a speeding ticket or something like that in this truck, can I plead amnesty and just move along?

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/29/13 - 07:07 am
Spider Sutra (Not a Car)

I’m not talking about anyone here this morning, but I was thinking about responding to an inane comment in another place. About that time I noticed a spider on the floor over by the wall. I could get out of my chair and probably squash it before it runs away on all eight legs, but is it worth it? Since I’m barefooted I also need to find something to hit it with. But does it serve any purpose at all?

Wouldn’t it break my mood pondering the issues of the day if I respond? It’s slightly irritating and not pretty, but it will go away soon enough on its own. So I say live in all your macabre, eyes everywhere, hairy, web making, eight legged existence and I hope you don’t run into those weird civilizations like I saw on Google where a plateful of spiders is lunch.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/29/13 - 07:06 am
oops

Dubs

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 06/29/13 - 07:46 am
Y'all have fun

at CG's. I wish I could join but I am currently on the left coast.

KSL
KSL 06/29/13 - 07:47 am
corgi

How about voter intimidation in Philly?

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/29/13 - 07:53 am
World War Z has been

World War Z has been designated a megaflop.

This is what happens when directors and script writers gut a prefectly good story to enhance the actors inability to fit the main characters role.

Don't get me wrong Mr. Pitts is a great actor, for some roles.

But this book had over 40+ million readers, counting loaned copies and the release of the book on the internet and the whole book being read via YouTube. 40+ Million knew more than the director and script writers.

MAYBE If I live 20 more years, maybe the remake will get it right?

corgimom
corgimom 06/29/13 - 08:30 am
KSL, sure, two idiots show up

KSL, sure, two idiots show up at a polling place, and say stupid stuff, and that's voter intimidation.

I've personally witnessed other people saying stupid stuff at polling places, and intelligent, rational people take it for what it is- nothing.

In the last election here in Charlotte, I actually had someone that was campaigning for someone that was up for a judgeship, ask me who I voted for. And it was within the area that they weren't supposed to be in, either.

Could I have made an issue of it? Sure. Did I? No, people say and do dumb stuff all the time.

Remember the saying "Don't make a Federal case out of it"? Good words to live by, you know?

junkyardpig
junkyardpig 06/29/13 - 08:48 am
get a job

for those who want to live off the welfare system forever-you all are lazy panhandlers, criminals, schmucks. some day the working class in america will be gone and so will all their tax money. then all these permanent welfare folks will either work or starve to death. at least the mexicans like to work!

junkyardpig
junkyardpig 06/29/13 - 08:48 am
get a job

KSL
KSL 06/29/13 - 09:05 am
What

Nothing about lack of enforcement of our immigration laws? How about gun running?

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 06/29/13 - 09:32 am
"I knew that they didn't

"I knew that they didn't enforce DOMA, and they shouldn't have. "

They took an oath to uphold the laws....whether they agree with it or not. Ever heard of separation of powers?

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 06/29/13 - 10:42 am
By the thumbs down I assume

By the thumbs down I assume there is at least one person on here that doesn't agree with the rule of law, and a President that follows the Constitution instead of his political beliefs.

corgimom
corgimom 06/29/13 - 11:10 am
I don't know, are they

I don't know, are they supposed to support laws that were clearly unConstitutional to begin with?

If Congress passed a law making all marriages illegal, would you be ok with that?

If you are a states' right person- which I am- I believe that the morally right thing to do was not prosecute. It had nothing to do with who was President, it was shameful that it was even passed in the first place.

You know, the whole system of government in the US is designed with checks and balances, our Founding Fathers correctly surmised that not all the laws that were passed would be legal or Constitutional. Yes, I most certainly have heard of separation of powers. I also know my American History, and there have been many things that have been declared unConstitutional over the years.

That's one of the best things about our country, is that we can admit that our government makes mistakes and fix them.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 06/29/13 - 11:43 am
It is not their place to

It is not their place to decide what is constitutional. That is what the court is for, and they did their job. It's called separation of power. I know that the system has checks and balances, and it appears that you want to do away with that.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 06/29/13 - 12:16 pm
You think it is morally right

You think it is morally right for the President to usurp the power of the court? Would you be ok with the court writing laws too? Why not?

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 06/29/13 - 12:24 pm
"I also know my American

"I also know my American History, and there have been many things that have been declared unConstitutional over the years."

Yes...by the judicial branch, not by the executive branch.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 06/29/13 - 12:31 pm
Quote of one of Rants and Raves

"PRESIDENT OBAMA DOES not really care what is in the immigration bill so long as it gets passed. He just wants to chalk up another victory for his time in office. Because border security needs to be a critical element of the bill, let’s push to make sure that it gets included. We just don’t want to see thousands upon thousands of illegal immigrants pouring over our borders once the immigration bill is passed."

I can not believe the number of people and politicians that want to ban legalization of illegals. It is beyond my thinking as to why EVERYBODY can't see the great number of jobs that illegals do that no American wants to do ! Is it the fact that once they are declared legal, then they will be expected to recieve minimum wages, therefore driving the price of food much higher than now !!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 06/29/13 - 12:39 pm
THE NSA SURVEILLANCE

Shouldn't the NSA be seen as just following The Patriot Act ??! I think it is all most comical how The Patriot Act was viewed as GREAT under Bush and now it is very intrucive ! Sounds like The Tea Party and some conservatives NEED to make up their minds.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/29/13 - 06:38 pm
Bledsoe, true conservatives

Bledsoe, true conservatives never have liked the Patriot Act.

Education millage rate slightly drops

The Richmond County Board of Education passed a tentative millage rate for the 2015 fiscal year Monday, a move that could save Richmond County property owners a few cents but would keep tax rates ...