Paula Deen's TV appearance ends in tears

Celebrity chef Paula Deen dissolved into tears during a Today show interview Wednesday about her admission that she used a racial slur in the past.   PETER KRAMER/ASSOCIATED PRESS
PETER KRAMER/ASSOCIATED PRESS

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

NEW YORK — Paula Deen dissolved into tears during a Today show interview Wednesday about her admission that she used a racial slur in the past, saying anyone in the audience who’s never said anything they’ve regretted should pick up a rock and throw it at her head.

The celebrity chef, who had backed out of a Today interview last Friday, said she wasn’t a racist and was heartbroken by the controversy that began with her own deposition in a lawsuit. Deen has been dropped by the Food Network and as a celebrity endorser by Smithfield Foods.

“I’ve had to hold friends in my arms while they’ve sobbed because they know what’s been said about me is not true and I’m having to comfort them,” she said.

Deen told Lauer she could only recall using the “n-word” once. She had earlier said that she remembered using it when retelling a story about when she was held at gunpoint by a robber who was black while working as a bank teller in the 1980s in Georgia. In a deposition for the lawsuit involving an employee in a restaurant owned by Deen and her brother, she had said she may also have used the slur when recalling conversations between black employees at her restaurants.

Looking distressed and her voice breaking, Deen said if there was someone in the audience who had never said something they wished they could take back, “please pick up that stone and throw it as hard at my head so it kills me. I want to meet you. I want to meet you.

“I is what I is and I’m not changing,” she said. “There’s someone evil out there that saw what I worked for and wanted it.”

An uncomfortable Lauer tried to end the interview, but Deen repeated that anyone who hasn’t sinned should attack her.

Deen said she appreciated fans who have expressed anger at the Food Network for dropping her, but said she didn’t support a boycott of the network.

“These people who have met me and know me and love me, they’re as angry as the people who are reading these stories that are lies,” she said.

my.voice
my.voice 06/26/13 - 11:15 am
This is one of the most

This is one of the most bizarre examples of "ridiculousness" I have ever witnessed. We have half the population of Hollywood out killing each other without so much as a speeding ticket and this lady says something two decades ago and its the end of the world? I'd never condone racial behavior, but one word decades ago does not a racist make.

southern2
southern2 06/26/13 - 11:29 am
Paula Deen fans are as loyal

Paula Deen fans are as loyal to her as country music fans are to their favorite artists. The only thing that would dissolve this enormous support of her would be if she announced she was gay which I'm sure ain't gonna happen.

southern2
southern2 06/26/13 - 11:32 am
Remember when Rush Limbaugh's

Remember when Rush Limbaugh's sponsors left because of the "slut" remark about the college grad demanding free Obama contraceptive. Rush never backed off and became even more popular and they all came back on their hands and knees.

Sweet son
Sweet son 06/26/13 - 12:06 pm
Keep standing tall Paula!

Thumb your nose at the negative and concentrate on the positive. You are well loved by your fans and your employees. One person with a case of wealth envy and greed is not going to take you down. As I said before, go home to Savannah, refuse interviews and run your restaurant and greet your friends and followers!

playlikethunder
playlikethunder 06/26/13 - 12:45 pm
I 'm headin' to Savannah for

I
'm headin' to Savannah for lunch Saturday......and i hope to enjoy every glorious nostalgic Southern moment of it. I might even tip my waiter with a beer.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 06/26/13 - 01:08 pm
I love the support she is

I love the support she is getting. The silence from the NAACP and all those other groups is deafening! I think they know that this is one of those "racial" situations where they are better off staying out of and staying quiet. We also aren't hearing a peep out of celebrities because they know they'll have to explain the whole rap industry using the n-word in their songs issue.
Yeah...I'd love to hear that one.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 06/26/13 - 01:15 pm
Good luck getting a job anywhere, Lisa Jackson

I'll bet you didn't ever think that your little gripe against Bubba was going to turn into such a diaper-load for your resume, did you?

Beachgal
Beachgal 06/26/13 - 01:31 pm
Lisa Jackson

I am not defending Paula's behavior, but I believe Lisa Jackson and her attorneys hoped for a healthy settlement out of court and weren't banking on Paula not rolling over.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/26/13 - 02:23 pm
JMO

To this..

Oh they started their mess with Paula....so many came out FOR her that it was shut down...I called the Mayors office myself (in Atla)& also when Jessie Jackson is caught on tape for HIS remarks...against Obama & other choice words...kinda hard to jump on her case....some forget many blacks have jobs because of Deen...it would be like cutting the ole nose off...but it is NOT over yet.....some tv programs will get a wake up call....their audience will disappear.

corgimom
corgimom 06/26/13 - 03:01 pm
Somebody please tell that

Somebody please tell that woman to just HUSH, she makes it worse everytime she opens her mouth

"Least said, sooneth mended"

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 06/26/13 - 03:38 pm
Don't bother boycotting Food Network which is a waste

Let Food Network know that you are boycotting THEIR SPONSORS and they will quickly pay attention.

You betcha.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/26/13 - 03:51 pm
corgi

She is getting emails telling her to stop crying & stop apologizing....start cooking again....you are right..she needs to shut up & cook...enough importance has been given to this ....move on & keep doing what you have done for years...that is what some are saying....she has enough people fighting her cause....believe me!

At least she didn't say cut body parts off .....like Jessie said....where were the naysayers when that happened.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 06/26/13 - 03:57 pm
Rep. john lewis (D.-Ga.)

has done and said far worse than Mrs. Deen.

David Parker
David Parker 06/26/13 - 04:29 pm
cooking channel is far better

cooking channel is far better anyway. no harm done.

sugarbutton
sugarbutton 06/26/13 - 04:45 pm
Smithfield....can we all say goodbye

Smithfield....can we all say goodbye. How low can you go try to get rid of the food that noone will buy. I for one will NOT support the sponsors. Nor will I watch the Food Network until this is righted. My son is a chef and loves Paula Deen. Being from GA....she's our kinda woman and our kinda cook. They sure stepped in it this time. Don't think any LISA exposure will help herself in a positive light by too many who have hastily stood beside (or should I say behind her) when the rocks start flying her way.

bigj706
bigj706 06/26/13 - 05:23 pm
Again with this. Rappers

Again with this. Rappers aren't my boss its my choice if I listen to them or not I don't work for them

KSL
KSL 06/26/13 - 05:24 pm
I wish for her victory over

I wish for her victory over this problem. Not happy about the tears and never have been pleased with the exaggerated Southerb accent. And I know she is from Albany, GA. None the less, it always seemed a bit exaggerated.

KSL
KSL 06/26/13 - 05:29 pm
big

I am a little confused. You listen to rappers but don't work for them. What is that supposed to mean?

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/26/13 - 05:32 pm
TV

She needs to stop talking now....tv critics won't be kind ....she can come back with other cooking programs......I think that southern drawl is the real Paula..
Stewart came back///Clinton never really went away....Weiner is running for Mayor & some say he will ge it...I wonder what acts I could get away with & get to come back..lol hah

706..I left you a msg on r/rs.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/26/13 - 05:34 pm
Clinton

Do yall remember the sad look he had & pointing the finger....I never had sex with that woman.....hahah...oooh yes ya did big boy.:)

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 06/26/13 - 05:50 pm
Food fight

I am reluctant to get in this "food fight" but for the record Rev. Sharpton is on record as saying that all have said things that they regret and one should not be judged for things said 20 years ago but by current behavior.

In the words of a friend....well I had better not go there; don't want to mess up a good record with Sean. Suffice it to say that generalizations are not helpful. I can't speak for the NAACP but maybe they are silent because Ms. Deen has not solicited their support. But if you contact them on her behalf, they will probably respond.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 06/26/13 - 06:18 pm
seenit, I have to admit that

seenit, I have to admit that I have not seen any type of response from any group similar to and including the NAACP. Might be wrong...wouldn't be the first time. Interesting that they were "shut down" in her defense, though.
bigj...as far as our comment about "Again with this." about the rappers using the n-word...give us more of what you're talking about. Just from the way that sounds, it seems that you're tired of people bringing that up as a valid argument. If that's so, how on earth can you justify them using the word if everyone is being forced to hate and loathe it and deem it utterly offensive if anyone even whispers it....oh, except of course if you're black. You don't see the hypocrisy in that? You don't see why people....strike that...you don't see why I can't respect that campaign against the n-word??
Oh, well. No use in going off on a tangent from this topic. Sorry.

KSL
KSL 06/26/13 - 06:25 pm
Seenit

You mite be rite, but I have lived in the South most all of mi life. And my husband has lived in the South all of his liife, alot of time in the Albany, Richland area. He says her accent is exaggerated. Had I needed to, when I was "up north'" I mite of done that.I mean spoken perceived Southern.

KSL
KSL 06/26/13 - 06:38 pm
Now realize

The only thing I am speaking of is her exaggerated southern accent, not the her past comments.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/26/13 - 06:40 pm
Funny ksl

you mite be rite...hah...

Some were vocal in the beginning & it wasn't pretty..now i see the naacp has been more forgiving...but of course whoopi was very obvious with her rant on tv...no doubt about that..
just sent an email your way ksl

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/26/13 - 06:42 pm
Husband

Some think his southern drawl is a put on ..BUT it is real...small town childhood....not even a red light...country through & through..

Jake
Jake 06/26/13 - 06:58 pm
Can't do it

I could never be a TV personality. I could not ask the tough or embarassing questions that Matt Lauer asks. I don't care for Paula Deen or the majority of the food she prepares. However, if she was bawling in front of me then I would want to give her a big hug and tell her everything will be OK. She could be guilty as sin, I don't know and you don't know, but I would most likely comfort a woman in distress no matter the situation. Yes, I know, a softie but that is me.

bigj706
bigj706 06/26/13 - 07:22 pm
Got it Seenit thanks

Got it Seenit thanks

Pops
Pops 06/26/13 - 08:26 pm
She over does it with

"ya'll" every other word. We don't talk like that. As for her grovelling and sucking up to the media with her apologies.....ENOUGH.......tell them to get "you know what"........

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/26/13 - 09:16 pm
(Pops) "She over does it with

(Pops) "She over does it with new

"ya'll" every other word. We don't talk like that"

Pops, you might not talk like that but I know a couple of deep south ladies and they most certainly talk like that. I'm not deep south and when I go to our family reunion up North, they just love to hear us talk. They love to hear that southern drawl (and I never knew I had one).