Paula Deen's TV appearance ends in tears

Celebrity chef Paula Deen dissolved into tears during a Today show interview Wednesday about her admission that she used a racial slur in the past.   PETER KRAMER/ASSOCIATED PRESS
PETER KRAMER/ASSOCIATED PRESS

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

NEW YORK — Paula Deen dissolved into tears during a Today show interview Wednesday about her admission that she used a racial slur in the past, saying anyone in the audience who’s never said anything they’ve regretted should pick up a rock and throw it at her head.

The celebrity chef, who had backed out of a Today interview last Friday, said she wasn’t a racist and was heartbroken by the controversy that began with her own deposition in a lawsuit. Deen has been dropped by the Food Network and as a celebrity endorser by Smithfield Foods.

“I’ve had to hold friends in my arms while they’ve sobbed because they know what’s been said about me is not true and I’m having to comfort them,” she said.

Deen told Lauer she could only recall using the “n-word” once. She had earlier said that she remembered using it when retelling a story about when she was held at gunpoint by a robber who was black while working as a bank teller in the 1980s in Georgia. In a deposition for the lawsuit involving an employee in a restaurant owned by Deen and her brother, she had said she may also have used the slur when recalling conversations between black employees at her restaurants.

Looking distressed and her voice breaking, Deen said if there was someone in the audience who had never said something they wished they could take back, “please pick up that stone and throw it as hard at my head so it kills me. I want to meet you. I want to meet you.

“I is what I is and I’m not changing,” she said. “There’s someone evil out there that saw what I worked for and wanted it.”

An uncomfortable Lauer tried to end the interview, but Deen repeated that anyone who hasn’t sinned should attack her.

Deen said she appreciated fans who have expressed anger at the Food Network for dropping her, but said she didn’t support a boycott of the network.

“These people who have met me and know me and love me, they’re as angry as the people who are reading these stories that are lies,” she said.

KSL
KSL 06/27/13 - 01:27 am
ICL

wildman
wildman 06/27/13 - 04:14 am
walmart

No more walmart for me. Walmart should ban everyone that has ever used that word from shopping in their stores. OOPS, that would not be fair, nope, they would not be in business. Give me a break, this whole thing is a bunch of BS!

eschamb
eschamb 06/27/13 - 04:49 am
"Reverse Discrimination Period" in America

The elite and individuals who are not minorities need to learn to turn both cheeks and smile at the same time, and get use to it.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/27/13 - 05:43 am
haha cartoon said

If Paula Deen can be fired for what she said 25 years ago...can we fire Obama for what he smoked 25 years ago...

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/27/13 - 06:37 am
"ICL....She overdoes it. That

"ICL....She overdoes it. That said, I an on her side in this matter.Too late for her to get rid of the overdone southern speech, but if she is truly depicting a southern lady, she needs to post haste drop the tear act. Soutbern women don't cry when being attacked."

Well KSL, I suppose you have a right to feel that way. Personally, I don't think it's an act so I'm not sure how she would get rid of the drawl. I've also never heard that southern ladies down cry when their reputation is smeared across the Nation and I suppose when being attacked, she should get angry, but I fail to see where that would have much more effect than the crying....but that being said, I hope she comes out ahead on all of this and people see that she really is a wonderful person.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/27/13 - 07:33 am
Take this national news media

PAULA DEEN SALES ARE THROUGH THE ROOF!!!!!

I"M LOVING IT!!!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/27/13 - 07:35 am
WOW

If this continues she could become a billionaire .......♥

Can you say...the women are snubbing their nose at the crap we hear on tv....yea

WAG
WAG 06/27/13 - 07:43 am
There is so much more to this

There is so much more to this story. exactly how do you know this woman bringing the lawsuit is not right? After all she is white. since none of yu find nothing wrong with the n word I feel sure you should be on this whit womans side. You all seem to be intelligent and you know when blacks say the n word it is different. When we say it is offensive and you know it. Ms Deen needs to get on with her life and stop giving those blubbering interviews. she was rediculous. "I is what I is"...How many of you talk like that? she needs to take her money and take a vacation! As far as Smithfield I refuse to buy because they sold to China. and as for walmart they leave alot to be desired!

KSL
KSL 06/27/13 - 08:27 am
ICL

You suppose I have a right???

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/27/13 - 08:33 am
KSL, Yes, I susppose you have

KSL, Yes, I susppose you have a right....same thing as saying you feel the way you do and I feel the way I do and it's okay for both of us. Excuse me if I do not use the proper word, grammer, or sentense structure. English class was never one of my strong points. I did not mean to offend you by using the word "suppose".

David Parker
David Parker 06/27/13 - 09:10 am
Walmart and Smithfield were

Walmart and Smithfield were counter-productive long before the Deen fallout. At least she's not as much part of the problem now. Didn't Martha go through something similar with sponsors cutting her off? Her situation wasn't related to a word, but more about bilking millions of dollars from peoples bank account. She seems to have bounced back pretty well.

KSL
KSL 06/27/13 - 09:53 am
ICL

I am sure I have a right to feel the way I do. No spposition about it. I have spent a lot of time around Sourhern girls up North. I know a put on Souther drawl when I hear it. No doubt it was for the benefit of her nationwide audience.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/27/13 - 10:25 am
Whatever KSL, I thought that

Whatever KSL, I thought that is what I said but then again I had to look up the word spposition??? so I may be mistaken.

I have found that normally when someone is "putting on" airs usually there is a slip up sooner or later because it's not natural and so far I've never heard one from her....but then again you may be right.

corgimom
corgimom 06/27/13 - 04:53 pm
Jesse Jackson said what she

Jesse Jackson said what she did was wrong but that he would help her.

Jesse Jackson is the last person to pass judgment on anybody, and the idea that Jesse Jackson would help anybody is ludicrous.

How egotistical of that man to think that she wants help from him, and that anybody cares what he thinks about anything. He's an old has-been that will say and do anything for publicity.

But maybe he'll ask her to be part of his Rainbow Coalition.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/27/13 - 05:30 pm
(WAG) "There is so much more

(WAG) "There is so much more to this story. exactly how do you know this woman bringing the lawsuit is not right? "

1. Jackson testified that she has never heard Paula Deen make a racist remark, other than when she described what clothing she’d like the wait staff to wear at her brother’s wedding.

2. Lawyers for Heirs (Paula's brother) filed legal docs on June 21, seeking sanctions against Jackson for making false allegations during her deposition that Deen used the N-word in her presence.

3. The former employee filed a second amended complaint against Deen and Heiers, alleging racial discrimination and that her nieces are bi-racial with an African-American father so “derogatory remarks regarding African Americans are even more personally offensive to Ms. Jackson than they would be to another white citizen.”

However, during Jackson’s deposition she “conceded that the nieces were those of her partner, Ms. Summerlin. Jackson proceeded to testify that the allegation in the complaint that the niece (there is a single niece of Ms. Summerlin) had a father who was ‘Puerto Rican African American’ and that she was ‘very close’ to the niece.

4. “Summerlin, however, flatly refuted Jackson’s claim testifying that the young child’s father was Hispanic, not African American, and that she hadn’t seen her sister’s children for years and had absolutely no relationship with them in the past five years!” the court docs said.

(If her partner flatly refuted her claim, seems like there is trouble in paradise) WAG would you still say maybe Ms. Jackson is right? I kind of doubt it.....Lie upon lie does not make for a very convincing testimony.

Darby
Darby 06/28/13 - 06:27 pm
"When we say it is offensive and you know it."

Not so. Not so at all. If I were given the assignment, I could use that word sixty times a day and not use it even once in an offensive manner.

I can tell people how my mom would have tanned my hide if she had heard me or my brother speak that way as a child.

I could speak of how I was uncomfortable and pained around kids my age who used that word to hurt and embarrass older blacks who felt they had no recourse but to walk away. That upset me back then, but the telling of it should certainly offend no one.

I can address the fact that it bothers me to hear blacks use the word excessively (particularly in front of children) and that should certainly not be offensive. Why would it?

I can speak intellectually about the origins of the word and it's abusive nature and impact on people and culture and yet not legitimately offend anyone.

I could write and then read aloud a five thousand word dissertation on that word and not offend a single, thinking, rational soul.

I could go on, but the point I'm trying to make is that certain people in our political environment use various weapons to control the dialogue, thereby creating and maintaining artificial barriers between people.

Creating a climate that forces others to "walk on eggshells", unable to even speak intellectually about or discuss an issue such as this is just one example.

Reducing news media, such a radio stations and newspapers to resort to euphemisms in lieu of a legitimate word or phrase is nothing more than mind control and is crippling to public discourse.

If one is "offended" by intelligent discussion, then one should ask himself a question.

Have I been mentally conditioned to react that way? Does it empower me to "be offended"? Do I not have free will?

Someone once said, "This too, shall pass". Maybe, but probably not anytime soon.