Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

RANTS TO THE Regal Theater for allowing the use of cellphones during movies. Too many people are talking, texting or using the Internet during the movies that others paid good money to go see. As soon as a cellphone screen lights up it distracts from the movie. Richmond County deputies at the theater don’t seem to be doing anything about it.

ONE OF THE Chronicle’s points in the smoking ban editorial was that some nonsmokers like to have a cocktail, and all nonsmokers eat. I live near Augusta Exchange. Within a close distance,there are 36 eating establishments that have no smoking. In 10 of these places you can also order a cocktail. There is one place you can eat, drink and smoke. Who is restricting whom? The usually conservative Chronicle sounds a lot like “Nanny” Bloomberg on this one.

THE ALZHEIMER’S Association is a wonderful cause, but I have to say I was disappointed in the Dancing With the Stars event. The show was rushed, the food mediocre and the celebrities just didn’t seem into it. Last year was much better. I’m looking forward to next year but I hope it goes back to having fun and raising money ... not just money.

IT’S A BAD SIGN when every presidential news conference has to include “...we’re going to find out who is responsible and make sure it never happens again ...” Our government is too big, and the people in charge are out-of-control crooks or clueless idiots.

AMONG THE CURRENT talk about Laney High School, I want to see the news that they are going to make sure to preserve that Cauley-Wheeler building. What is being done to ensure that historic building, the very last one left from Haines Institute?

BOO TO THE GARBAGE service that did not tell us that we must walk our trash to the end of the road (we had been getting it picked up along the drive since it started) when the change took place. We now have two weeks worth of trash and have to wait until Friday.

LITTLE 20-YEAR-OLD boys, please pull up your pants. It is not sexy for you to show your behinds.

corgimom
corgimom 06/25/13 - 07:06 pm
Rant #2- Employers are

Rant #2- Employers are required, by law, to provide safe places for their employees to work. They are required to provide adequate ventilation and protection from hazardous chemicals and carcinogens.

For some strange reason, people don't want to understand that this applies to cigarette smoke, too. Cigarettes are the only product in America that when used as manufactured, promoted, and marketed, and used exactly as directed, kills thousands of people yearly. It is a known carcinogen.

Nobody would ever want to work in a dangerous workplace with poisonous air, but people have no problem when it involves cigarette smoking. And as for the argument, "They can work somewhere else", sure, let's apply that rule to all businesses. Who wants to be exposed to substances that cause cancer, while doing nothing wrong except trying to earn a living?

Do you believe that people have a right to work in a safe workplace, or not?

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 06/25/13 - 07:19 pm
Things I did and didn't see on the six o'clock news

Paula Deen- evil monster who used the n-word two decades ago to be whipped from the public square...
Democrat legislator Ryan Winkler referred to Supreme Court justice as 'Uncle Thomas'- but explains, "...I didn't intend for it to be derogatory ..." Could someone explain to me how 'Uncle Tom' can be used in a positive way?

Apology accepted; no need to harp on it. Not newsworthy. Move on.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 06/25/13 - 07:35 pm
"... The usually conservative Chronicle sounds

...a lot like “Nanny” Bloomberg on this one."

Yeah, well, it's SMOKING, ya know, the "devil's weed." It offends the Chronicle's owners, so rights be damned. Reminds me of the Army- upon signing up, rights are meted back as privileges at the whim of the commander. We're being slowly -- or not so slowly-- being californicated into submission, one issue at a time. It has nothing to do with workplace safety; this is classic liberal incrementalism. Can't smoke on public beaches there; as in the open air; that's where we're headed.

Too bad ripping off the taxpayers with special favours and sweetheart loans that are subsequently forgiven don't offend the Chronicle's owners as well.

sawgrass
1940
sawgrass 06/25/13 - 07:57 pm
Paula Deen

Good riddence to Paula Deen. She used her fake southern charm to do exactly that....charm unwitting people to contribute to her fortune. Go away, please.

Jake
Jake 06/25/13 - 10:41 pm
"Our government is too big, and the people in charge are....

....out-of-control crooks or clueless idiots".
Actually the ones in control are not total idiots. They have mastered the technique of false talk and fooling the masses into voting.
You really do not have a choice in the long run. Democrat or Republican, they both are on the take.
How much better are we now then, let's say, 1960? 1950?
Better is probably not the right word. Yet you see the folks on here everyday proclaiming how the virtues of their party are the ones that are going to save or help us. Sure. Like that is the goal of the 2 mainstream parties.
We are idiots to keep the 2 party system alive. But that is what they are counting on.

dichotomy
dichotomy 06/25/13 - 10:56 pm
"It is a known

"It is a known carcinogen."

So is that stuff your car spews when you drive, the interior of what you drive, most of the furniture and carpet in your house, many of the building materials in your house, some of the food you eat. Do you ever build a fire in your fireplace........oh, but those are YOUR carcinogens. I do so love sanctimonious hypocrites.

There is NO reason why a bar or restaurant cannot open as a smoking only establishment owned by smokers, staffed by smokers, and patronized by smokers. NO logical reason at all....NO legal reason.....NO moral reason.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/25/13 - 11:40 pm
Leno

Once again, Jay Leno hits one OUT of the park!

“President Obama got some good news today. The IRS ruled he can write off the first half of his second term as a total loss.”

countyman
20588
countyman 06/26/13 - 01:55 am
#1

Since the person mentioned the movie theater at the Augusta Exchange. A metro of 575,000 and CSRA over 700,000 people should have more than one large movie theater. The Evans and Aiken locations serve the immediate surrounding population. Another large movie theater is coming to West Augusta at the Village at Riverwatch in the near future. A private developer purchased the former Regal Village in the Augusta West Plaza, and I'm hearing this might become a $1 -$2 theater. A movie theater will more than likely open near wherever Target decides opens in South Augusta. We should have two large theaters in West Augusta, three smaller locations in Aiken /Evans/South Augusta, and the two discount theaters in West Augusta.

The demolition of the church at Windsor Spring/Tobacco is underway. Three acres of development is coming with the new Walgreens, and South Augusta continues to grow faster in 2013 .

countyman
20588
countyman 06/26/13 - 01:53 am
Urban core

The DDA report from June includes the proposed hotel on the common. The Hyatt Place hotel/parking garage may finally becoming to fruition. The Holiday Inn Express is under construction on Lower Broad near Olde Town, and this would be the second hotel to break ground. Both the CBD and the urban core are growing much faster in 2013 compared to previous years. The report didn't mention several other projects including the purchase of the massive historic building at 301 9th street.

Information on a few of the developments in the report.
1. 1246 Broad( new apartments)
2. 901 Broad(nine apartments and 4,300 square feet of commercial space)
3. 1022 Broad(new residential above Pauleys Steakhouse)
4. 758 Broad(green improvements after 13 apts completed last year)
5. 1301 Broad(Augusta Lung Associates/2nd floor other tenants)
6. James Brown Boulevard/9th street improvements Phase 1($850k grant for $1.3 million project)
7. Olde Town (new signage)
8. Springfield Park (improvements)
9. 334 Greene(10 apts in Olde Town)
10. 1120 Jones(8 apts)

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/26/13 - 06:20 am
National News Media

Is the south still in the USA?? I mean--really...are we....when I watch news on tv it seems they are talking about another country....about the law just changed by the supreme court....about P Deen & her problems with the lawsuit.....someimes I shout back at the tv....they don't know us it seems.....Deen was under oath & told the truth....the southern states have been treated like step child status for YEARS ....

Heh....is anyone sooo naive to think that the north doesn't have the same problems with the voting of years gone by....or does anyone THINK that racists live only in the south...

I have heard some say that they watch news from other countries..or read their papers.....might be a good idea.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/26/13 - 06:27 am
Not a hoot anymore

I hear the attorney against Deen is catching some flack for the remarks he tweeted....women should be upset & they are.

Just wonder if you could go to court in an owl outfit...heheh

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/26/13 - 06:48 am
Speaking of hush puppies haha

How they got that name....another good southern tradition...btw

No fish fry in the South is complete without homemade hushpuppies. You just have to have them. There are several stories or theories about where the hushpuppy came from and got it's name. One that makes sense is that when folks would be frying fish in a big old pot outside over a fire, the dogs would sit and beg and whine for a bite, so they would drop some of the batter and fry it and then feed it to the dogs and say 'now hush puppy'. I guess they soon discovered that the dropped and fried batter was really good and probably stretched that fish out to feed more people. Although hushpuppies are served all over the United States in some seafood restaurants, they originated the southern states. In some regions, they are also served with barbeque. Here is what you will need:

1/2 cup self rising flour

1 1/2 cup self rising corn meal

1 cup buttermilk

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. salt

dash of Old Bay seasoning (optional)

1 Tbs. grated sweet onion

1 egg

Mix all together and drop by teaspoon full into the same oil you cooked your fish or other seafood in . When they are brown on one side, carefully roll them over and brown on the other side. Remove to the paper towel lined platter around the fish or whatever seafood you are serving.

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/26/13 - 07:00 am
REGAL Movie House Rant.Add

REGAL Movie House Rant.
Add to it uncomfortable chairs with built-in scrape your leg cup holders.
Some employee with a flashlight checking doors during the movie.
A Drink and Popcorn combo that costs more than a ticket.
$4.00 a bottle of Water and far and in between water fountains.
10 minutes of LOUD Advertisements.

Regarding the Smartphones.
It not just this one also the 1 on Evans also.
I have actually on more than one recent occasion got up and walked over to the person and said shut it off. "I didn't pay good $$$$ for a pair of tickets to watch you play, talk or text on your bright a$% smart phone, shut it off, go outside or leave."

Movie Theaters are about dead given ticket and concession prices.
I can usually wait 3 months for Redbox. Because, lately, only 5/5 rated movies can get my tail in a seat, or the wife begging for a chick flick despite saying she is fed up.

Maybe our dear socialist liberals will start FREE Obama tickets to support and prop up their Tax Dodging Hollywood friends.

Example. Ireland has ZERO taxes on Artists and Actors artistic income.

ROCKRHONDA
ROCKRHONDA 06/26/13 - 07:00 am
AIKEN CO. LIBRARY

This library is nothing like a library when I grew up in the 60s and 70s.This library is more like a daycare and meeting place for people who stay home all day and draw a check from the government.This library also is dirty and doesn't keep the bathroom well stock with needed paper.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/26/13 - 07:29 am
Dancing With the Stars Soap Opera

“…I have to say I was disappointed in the Dancing With the Stars event. The show was rushed, the food mediocre and the celebrities just didn’t seem into it.”

I’m trying to imagine the dealings behind this comment. Someone danced poorly and was booed? Heh. Wouldn’t that be something. Participate and the crowd turns on you. You should never dance completely sober anyway. That way when others laugh at you it doesn’t matter so much.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/26/13 - 07:28 am
Libraries Should Be Online

The libraries we all knew growing up are gone. We should realize that fact and quit spending millions on brick and mortar buildings, buying hard copy books and paying employees. Online libraries reach far more readers and that's the purpose of a library, not providing places to play in one form or another.

corgimom
corgimom 06/26/13 - 07:39 am
Dichotomy, this

Dichotomy, this "sanctimonious hypocrite" has a husband that has COPD, caused by secondhand smoke. It is going to kill him. I am watching him slowly get sicker and sicker and sicker.

Because, you see, I have a dying husband. He has already become very ill twice since January, and the mortality rate for COPD is 90% after 10 years, and he has been sick for six.

So you don't want to go there with me. But I'm sure that you will have something to say when he becomes disabled and YOUR tax dollars will be paying for his disability and Medicare, along with all of the thousands and thousands and thousands of people that are sick due to smoking.

And did I mention to you that my brother just died in November at age 57, due to illness caused by cigarette smoking? And that your tax dollars will be going to pay the monumental hospital bill that he incurred before he died?

Smoking doesn't provide any benefit for anybody. But if somebody wants to smoke, they can do it all they want to- on their property.

Nobody has to smoke, but everybody has to breathe.

And, just for the record, we have a fireplace- and it is NEVER used.

But I'd sure like to know what in my house causes cancer. I'll be waiting to hear from you.

But when my husband dies, I'll invite you to his funeral, and you can have a cigarette in his honor, and tell me how great smoking is.

You can call me all the names you want. But sadly, I know that sooner or later- I hope and pray its much later, obviously- you will be able to call me "widow". All because of cigarettes.

And yes, I already explained to you the legal reason to ban smoking, you just don't want to agree with it. That's sad, that you would fight so hard for such a terrible addiction.

corgimom
corgimom 06/26/13 - 07:34 am
"BTW: Google how many

"BTW: Google how many Hollywood liberals are paid either as working outside the USA and/or hold dual citizenship."

Who would waste one minute of their life doing that? Who cares what people in Hollywood think about anything?

corgimom
corgimom 06/26/13 - 07:38 am
"A private developer

"A private developer purchased the former Regal Village in the Augusta West Plaza, and I'm hearing this might become a $1 -$2 theater. "

What we know, Countyman, is that those types of theatre become the hangout for all the criminals in Augusta, last just a couple of years, and close.

Anybody remember the theatre that used to be at Southgate Plaza, and how people were getting shot? Go see a movie, get a bullet as a souvenir?

justthefacts
justthefacts 06/26/13 - 07:39 am
Hush puppies

My dad called them "corn dodgers" and sure new how to make them.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 06/26/13 - 07:45 am
Let the Money Speak.

Smoking, just stay out of those places. If you don't like Chinese food, do you go to a Chinese Restaurant? Smoking is a choice people make, not a disease or anything else!!
Movies and bad behavior, we don't go, the price is too high and I don't want to have to deal with some wanna be texting, talking and acting like a 5 year old.
Paula Deen, well if Extortion won't work let's try a lawsuit and destroy her character in the process. I'll bet the person who initiated the lawsuit has used the N word more than Paula has!!
OK, let the bashing begin!!

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 06/26/13 - 07:49 am
Employers are required, by law, to provide safe places

Yes they are, but I have the right to choose where I work. If I don't want to be around tobacco smoke, then I can find somewhere to work where I don't have to be around tobacco smoke!!

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 06/26/13 - 08:06 am
Hey B4

Catfish, hush puppies and fried potatoes and a few cold beers! I love the South. The Paula D thing is a joke - I was proud that she told the truth - it reminds me of Mr. Clinton looking straight into the camera and saying I did not have sex with that woman, Monica Lewinsky - wish I'd never seen that.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 06/26/13 - 08:09 am
We used to smoke

Rabbit tobacco! Wonder why it was called that

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 06/26/13 - 08:11 am

Quite a victory for the liberals. It was imperative that they be allowed to kill a child past the 20'th week of gestation.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/26/13 - 08:12 am
Banning won't stop with cigs..

I know folks very sick from smoking ....some of my friends have died because of smoking---my BEST friend also...you might say smoking problems caused me to start posting here...after she died I needed an outlet.....I didn't have her anymore....
I don't smoke but have lived years back with a smoker....but...the only thing about banning anything is this..
Slippery slope & it wouldn't stop there.....next would be twinkies...choc cake...beer...matinis..hot dogs...burgers...driving in a converible....sky diving.....swimming without a life guard....living in bear country....keeping snakes as pets....on & on & on....ya see where we are going here....just like abortions corgi.......we all have a choice of what we do to our bodies..& stay away from smoking bars....work places should have restrictions & they do..imho

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 06/26/13 - 08:14 am
Sean

Something is wrong - when I try to go into a site (most discussed) - it is going into a site I've never seen - not the one chosen.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 06/26/13 - 08:14 am
Corgimom makes a good

Corgimom makes a good argument as to why our tax dollars shouldn't be used to pay for other people's health insurance.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 06/26/13 - 08:15 am
Rabbit Tobacco

As a very young man, living in the country, my cousins and I tried to smoke rabbit tobacco. It only takes one time!!! :p

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 06/26/13 - 08:17 am
"Employers are required, by

"Employers are required, by law, to provide safe places for their employees to work. They are required to provide adequate ventilation and protection from hazardous chemicals and carcinogens.

For some strange reason, people don't want to understand that this applies to cigarette smoke, too. "

Would you be ok if the employers issued OSHA/NIOSH approved respirators to the employees? That is all they have to do for other atmospheric contaminants.....or does your crusade not end there.

SC Speaker Harrell quits, pleas guilty

COLUMBIA - Suspended South Carolina House Speaker Bobby Harrell has pleaded guilty to six campaign fiance violations and agreed to resign from office.