Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

WHY DOES THE Augusta Commission think that the residents of Richmond County should be made to pay for their below-standard trash service? They picked up nothing at my house on the scheduled day. I don’t appreciate paying for nothing.

I THINK IT IS A shame that you all are doing all this work to Bobby Jones but do not consider all the people who ride a bike to work. I have been looking for a job for a year and a half now, and on my second day a cop tells me I cannot ride my bike on Bobby Jones. Now I have to go out of my way to get to where I need to be when Bobby Jones is a straight shot and buses do not run at night.

RAVES TO THE Rich­mond County Sheriff’s Office for starting a reserve deputy program. More can be done, however. Currently, only certified officers may join. There are many people who would like to help out who do not have the time or the money to put themselves through an academy to become certified. Richmond County needs to hold a nighttime reserve deputy academy. This will allow people to become certified and help out.

IT’S FUNNY THAT Republicans think there is a certain truth that must be called out from the president. Where were they when Bush, Cheney and their millionaire buddies got exclusive and nonbidding contracts during the Iraq War that Bush cowboyed our country into?

SAXBY CHAMBLISS says that it’s male hormones that cause the sexual assaults? The criminal men who rape are responsible; we don’t care about their hormone level. Just charge the fools and lock them away.

OUR FEDERAL government’s spying on citizens’ e-mails, using the IRS to go after groups not on its approved list and covering up American deaths in Libya does not prove bad intent. Rather, the folks running our nation are confused. They believe they are the government of North Korea.

THE NEWS MEDIA USED to say “Our duty is to speak truth to power.” It seems these days the media are more interested in ignoring the truth to keep the people in the dark while keeping those in power in power.

A HUGE THANK YOU to the person who paid for my family’s dinner at the South Belair Road Cracker Barrel.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/24/13 - 03:38 pm
"SAXBY CHAMBLISS says that

"SAXBY CHAMBLISS says that it’s male hormones that cause the sexual assaults?"

That isn't what he said. It just amazes me how people with an axe to grind can parse out a comment to construe what they want to hear.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/24/13 - 03:58 pm
"Where were they when Bush,

"Where were they when Bush, Cheney and their millionaire buddies got exclusive and nonbidding contracts during the Iraq War that Bush cowboyed our country into?"

See above comment about people construing what they want. All these years and it is still "Bush lied", in the face of a mountain of evidence that proves he acted in good faith on bad intelliegence. Was it a mistake? Yes, hindsight tells us so IMO.

As far as no-bid contracts. It was hashed over and over and over at the time Haliburton got a no bid contract. The reason was that scant few companies in the entire world were big enough and equipped enough to handle the job. Bill Clinton's administration did the same thing, with the same company, for the same reason. Who were his millionaire friends benefitting from it.

Some people.....

edit: Oh, and since you think you havethe facts together about this, what relationship did Dick Cheney have with Haliburton at the time the contract was let?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/24/13 - 04:04 pm
Trash

Why is this such a big deal? I've had once a week pick up for the nearly 30 years I've lived in Columbia County, with the exception of a few years with children at home. Every once in a great while I don't get it out in time and I go two weeks. Not fun, but manageable.

For that matter, why doesn't ARC just get out of the garbage business altogether and let citizens use, and pay for, private haulers of their choice?

carcraft
carcraft 06/24/13 - 07:11 pm
Itsanotherday YOUR POST ABOUT

Itsanotherday YOUR POST ABOUT BUSH WAS SPOT ON.

Jake
Jake 06/24/13 - 09:50 pm
Convenient

How easy it was for Cheney & Clueless to manipulate the system and bring "tada" a company in to handle a made-up war with a no bid contract. Unprecedented. If Obama did the same he would have been raked over the coals, as well as he should have been.
The made-up war has cost America a few thousands of lives, which in terms of numbers is not great, but in terms of family anguish is immense.
End this folly that Bush started, with the help of a wimpy Democratic and Republican Congress, and bring our troops home now.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/25/13 - 03:39 am
To this

Roundtree seems to be making good decisions.....maybe you could write or call him about this...good luck.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/25/13 - 03:40 am
National News Media

I am totally disgusted with them.....when Bill Maher says ..hey--hold off a minute & don't kill Paula Deen..heh....you know the slant has fallen overboard.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/25/13 - 04:23 am
He also said this..

Obama won because he was approved by the elite & the news media...

esp. the news media I would say.,

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/25/13 - 04:27 am
Alito rolls his eyes...:):)

I would say not all is fun & games in that playpen..hahah

I would really like to go behind the scene & see what they REALLY say to each other.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/25/13 - 04:43 am
Well now..

DETROIT (AP) — The only two McDonald's restaurants in the United States that were serving food prepared according to Islamic law have stopped several weeks after a $700,000 settlement over a lawsuit that alleged the items weren't consistently halal.

The fast-food giant said in a statement Monday that the locations in the Detroit suburb of Dearborn, which has a large Muslim population, are no longer offering a halal McChicken sandwich or Chicken McNuggets in order "to focus on our national core menu."
--------------------------------------------------------

Yeh..I would focus on national core menu too...heh
(I wonder why I thought about P Deen while reading this)

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/25/13 - 04:51 am
The question in the news...

Is Kanye & Kim getting married....

WHO CARES!!! GEEZ....maybe Beyonce will be available one day. hah

Top of the most discussed list now...& ya welcome!

corgimom
corgimom 06/25/13 - 05:20 am
Yeah, seenit, I thought Paris

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/25/13 - 05:28 am
Famous

They are the MOST famous for doing nothing!!

What in Sam Hill do they do??

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 06/25/13 - 06:08 am
I do nothing too

but I'm not rich and famous. Life is so unfair.

Just once I would like the chance to prove that being rich wouldn't change me. And if I'm wrong I would just have to live with it.

soapy_725
soapy_725 06/25/13 - 06:08 am
We knew they had WMD's. We provided them with WMD's.

We backed Hussein in his war with Iran. We backed Afghanistan in their war against Russia. We backed Israel in its wars with Syria and Egypt. We and Russia have armed the entire Middle East.

And the government contractors got billions.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/25/13 - 06:08 am
Tel me a lie

Heh..I'm not talking to the national news either...they know how to do that...

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/25/13 - 06:10 am
It would change you RKill

You would buy a super dooper 18 wheeler......bells & whistles..

soapy_725
soapy_725 06/25/13 - 06:11 am
Typical cyclist mentality. Next he will want to ride on I-20.

Oh wait. I-520 is a part of the interstate, limited access, military deployment highway system.

soapy_725
soapy_725 06/25/13 - 06:12 am
But, new age personal freedom knows not bounds.

A bike lane in the middle of the interstate. P.T. Barnum said it best.

soapy_725
soapy_725 06/25/13 - 06:15 am
Ken Nuggent get out your legal pad..........

I was run over while riding by bicycle on I-20. These big rigs weigh 53 tons and if they hit you on supper lightweight stratosphere cycle at 5 pounds, you are in a world of hurt. Cha Ching.

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/25/13 - 06:22 am
Still waiting regarding enforcement of Ethics Rules

ARC CODE

Article 2 Code of Ethics
Sec. 1-1-20. Code of ethics for government service—A statement of ethical
principles.
Sec. 1-1-21. Purpose.
Sec. 1-1-22. Persons subject to this article; definitions.
Sec. 1-1-23. Rules of conduct for employees and public officials of Augusta.
Sec. 1-1-24. Violations; sanctions—Employees.
Sec. 1-1-25. Violations; complaints—Public officials.
Sec. 1-1-26. Disciplinary action against public official.
Article 3 Ethics in Public Procurement
Sec. 1-1-27. Employee or public official conflict of interest.

Sec. 1-1-28. Gifts, rebates and kickbacks.

Sec. 1-1-29. Prohibition against contingent fees.
Sec. 1-1-30. Contemporaneous employment prohibited.
Sec. 1-1-31. Waiver from contemporaneous employment prohibition and other
conflicts of interest.
Sec. 1-1-32. Use of confidential information.
Sec. 1-1-33. Inside information.

Sec. 1-1-34. Use of position for gain.

Sec. 1-1-35. Unauthorized purchases.
Sec. 1-1-36. Agreement of candidates involving work or appointments.
Sec. 1-1-37. Penalties and sanctions.
Sec. 1-1-38. Recovery of value transferred or received in breach of ethical
standards.
Sec. 1-1-39. Political contributions.

Sec. 1-1-40. Registration of vendors making gifts

Again, why has nothing been done regarding recent violations?

allhans
allhans 06/25/13 - 07:19 am
Bloomberg news..."Fast

Go back a little to 2010. The One is in office. Mr. Hope and Change, the one who ran against using Haliburton in 2008... So, what has Captain Kool Aid done about Halliburton? Why, he’s given them a no-bid contract, of course.....

And don't forget the surge of troops Obama sent to Afghanistan to fight the "right war". More of our troops have been killed in Afghanistan in 4 years under Obama than died during the entire Bush presidency.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 06/25/13 - 07:15 am
No truck

If I was rich I would stay home and pester Trouble all day.

Then apologize just before bedtime.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/25/13 - 07:52 am
And the sad thing is...

"Yeah, seenit, I thought Paris Hilton was insufferable, the Kardashians are worse.

And then there's the mother, married to Lizard Face Bruce Jenner. You'd think with all of their money, he could've gone to a better plastic surgeon."

There are enough people interested in their shenanigans to keep them in the news. The same people couldn't tell you who their political representatives are.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/25/13 - 07:56 am
Come on Allhans

You know the Bush haters don't want to deal with any facts about Halliburton or the Obama's failures.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/25/13 - 08:17 am
dichotomy
dichotomy 06/25/13 - 08:30 am
"Where were they when Bush,

When will you Dim-Obama-crats quits lying about the facts. The contracts were investigated and justified based on the capability of the company to provide the service. And I do believe that the United Nations is the organization that called for the forcible change of the regime in Iraq due to refusal to obey UN resolutions and I do believe that almost ALL Democrats voted in favor of going to war.

dichotomy
dichotomy 06/25/13 - 08:42 am
"Why is this such a big deal?

"Why is this such a big deal? I've had once a week pick up ............ why doesn't ARC just get out of the garbage business altogether and let citizens use, and pay for, private haulers "

Once a week service is NOT the issue. The issue has keeping the price at the same level we were paying for twice a week service while cutting that service in half. A reduction in service of 50% should have equated to a similar reduction in price.

Richmond County is now using our garbage service as a revenue stream with PROFIT built in. Plus we are having to pay for the Mark Johnson Compressed Natural Gas Empire and Service Station with it's CAPTIVE customers that are bound by this contract. This whole thing is just wrong from top to bottom and we are stuck with haulers we don't want, missed pickups, paying a much higher rate than before and getting half the service...if we get any service at all.

Mark Johnson is making us pay for his CNG collection and building his SERVICE STATION, he is making the garbage hauler BUY his CNG for their trucks which HE mandated, HE sets the price, AND ALL OF THEM ARE CHARGING US for THIS ILLEGAL MONOPOLY. It basically a racketeering scheme straight out of some mobster movie.