Glynn Moore

News editor and local columnist for The Augusta Chronicle.

Closing of Chinese restaurant takes good reading with it

On a recent Sunday, my wife and I stopped off at one of our favorite after-church restaurants for lunch. It was closed, empty and dark.

We were blind-sided. Only the week before, we had gone through the buffet and chatted with the pleasant hostess.

A couple of months ago, for instance, I had pointed out to the hostess that when our fortune cookies came with the check, mine was missing its fortune. It was not a fortune cookie, I told her, but just a cookie.

“That’s good luck!” she replied. “You’re lucky.”

“It’s good luck to have no fortune?”

“Yes.”

The restaurant itself must have gotten one of those plain cookies, because now it’s out of business. I hope the hostess and all the other employees found other employment. It’s always sad when a business closes.

After the workers’ welfare and our loss of a place to eat after church, I have another reason to mourn the closing of that restaurant. The chopsticks.

Well, the paper sleeve that the chopsticks came in, actually.

Until recently, I had a hard time using chopsticks; I would start out strong but soon develop a hand cramp.

“Why even bother?” my wife would say. “The fork, remember?”

“When in Rome,” I would reply, and pick up the sticks again.

Eventually I learned the trick without inflicting bodily harm.

The burnt-orange sleeve that those chopsticks came in was a delightful mystery to take in. It had Chinese writing, which I won’t even try to decipher. It also told me those bamboo chopsticks were a product of China.

Beside those Mandarin (I assume) characters was this: “Welcome to Chinese Restaurant. please try your Nice Chinese Food with Chopsticks the traditional and typical of Chinese glonous history and cultual.”

I loved that paragraph as I read it each time we dined there. It gave even more flavor to the fried rice, coconut shrimp and dumplings. I often suspected it was written that way just to give diners something to talk about over their sesame chicken.

On the other hand, you have to expect a few things to get lost in translation when going from one language to another.

The odd thing is, on the flip side of the sleeve were diagrams and intricate directions for using the chopsticks when eating. That is where you expect trouble (such as the instructions packaged with a hair dryer that said, “Do not use while sleeping”) but that chopstick lesson was in perfect English, except for some missing punctuation.

For instance, the final step was, “Hold first chopstick in original position move the second one up and down Now you can pick up anything.”

I hope the best for the folks who provided those chopsticks each week. Their service was as good as their roast pork egg foo yong.

Darby
Darby 06/24/13 - 01:09 am
I love Asian food. On the other hand, I refuse

to use chopsticks. It's not that I can't, it's just that for twelve months straight, I lived with Vietnamese troops in the field. During that time I used nothing but chopsticks.

That's not completely true. About once a month I would chopper back into my team headquarters where I'd dine in true American fashion.

As for the chopsticks, my grandkids love to use them when we eat Chinese. They can have them and welcome to them.

KSL
KSL 06/24/13 - 06:33 am
I wish the restaurant owners

I wish the restaurant owners well.

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/24/13 - 08:21 am
Darby - did you know

Walt Shumate?
GB - SFOD

bdouglas
bdouglas 06/24/13 - 08:34 am
All that prose and not a word

All that prose and not a word on what restaurant this was... How about saving everyone else the trip only to find out it's closed like you did?

Also...check out engrish.com if you're a fan of the awkwardly translated English found on foreign packaging.

Darby
Darby 06/24/13 - 12:02 pm
No, nocnoc, I never had the pleasure.

Sorry I didn't because his reputation preceded him. He (as you know) was Special Forces, I was Ranger. I understand we shared some of the same passions, such as special operations and SCUBA. He was respected as a real soldier's soldier.

The warrior that he was, it's really a shame that he died the way he did. If I can't die in combat (and that's not likely to happen now) then I'd prefer to go in my sleep with my kids and grandkids nearby.

It's possible that we crossed paths at the John F. Kennedy Special Warfare School while I was there, but that was a long, long time ago.

David Parker
David Parker 06/24/13 - 12:41 pm
What road was this one on

What road was this one on Glynn? Thanks

maybe leaving out the name of the restaurant is like the cookie w/o the fortune. I feel lucky I guess.

allhans
allhans 06/24/13 - 03:19 pm
Where is a good Chinese

Where is a good Chinese buffet in the area? I haven't found one.
Any one got a name?

Graymare
Graymare 06/24/13 - 04:43 pm
To Allhans

New China Buffet on Knox Avenue, next to Radio Shack, near Walmart is good.
I hope this isn't the one that closed.

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/24/13 - 05:12 pm
Maybe these will help.

The 1 on US-25 in the old Golden C. was very good but lately they are scrimping of quality using packages of Hot Mustard instead of the real stuff. Very slow to refill. The Hot Mustard was wimpy.

The 1 over by Burlington's generally always crowded, has decent food but the Egg Rolls are normally soggy. But lacks an Asian taste as funny as that sounds. Always refilling. The Hot Mustard was average hot.

The 1 across from Big-Lots on US25 needs a total face lift.
Slow to refill last time we checked over 2 years ago.

The 1 across from the mall needs to be updated and remodeled.
Slow to refill last time we checked over a year ago.

The 1 near US25 and Lowe's is holding its own and we ate there today, good service, hot fresh food at 1pm and quiet, no yelling. But mostly Spanish staff other 3 or 4 people. Steady refilling The Hot Mustard was above average to Hot.

The one in North Augusta on Ga. Ave. in the old Big Star has average to good food, but they need to badly remodel and turn on some lights. We ordered chicken Fried Rice and Egg Rolls. The rice was good but little oily as you eat down into the pile. The Egg Rolls were good in taste but were filled with large vegetable pieces. The Hot Mustard was HOT.

The one in North Augusta by Walmart - has great food, but below average fried rice and egg rolls. The Hostess, dresses like she runs a 5 star. Which makes it interesting to guess how she will be decked out the next time we visit. The Hot Mustard was very HOT.

The 1 out be Walmart in Aiken on US1 Is good if you catch them during 12N-1pm and 5-6pm otherwise the buffet is slow to refill. The Hot Mustard was soupy but HOT.

The 1 in Aiken by Home Depot pretty good all around.

Our best two in NC.
The Canton Station in Fayetteville NC. on Yadkin Rd. but I heard it closed a few years ago. Closed now.

The Hunan just outside of Ft. Bragg on Yadkin Rd.

Our best in Gwinnett Co.
New China on Sugarloaf Parkway in Lawrenceville, Ga. next to Publix.
Ask Sue for a order of Chicken Fried Rice, a order of Sweet and Sour Chicken with the sauce on the side and 6 hot egg rolls and hottest mustard she has and duck sauce. An she'll ask you if you know me.

- Avoid -
We stopped using another china restaurant over by World Technologies in Gwinnett after a discussion with a manager about staff needing use soap when washing hands. With a response "No need soap we have powerful water."

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/24/13 - 05:15 pm
One I miss and wished he'd

One I miss and wished he'd reopen.

Walt's Moon Gate on Broad St.
We use to eat there in the early 80's. He made some of the best custom made Egg Rolls. Loaded the way you wanted and fried crunchy without any grease / oil inside.

allhans
allhans 06/24/13 - 07:12 pm
Thanks Graymare and nocnoc. I

Thanks Graymare and nocnoc. I appreciate the list...

CricketSeranade
CricketSeranade 06/25/13 - 11:17 am
My all time favorite

was the one that sat in the triangle between North Leg and Sibley Road. Jung Kwong's I think. They would always make my pork fried rice just like I liked it, lots of egg and extra bean sprouts. Had a great buffet.

You always miss the places that take the time to get to know you. I remember I went in there without my mom one day and the were all quick to ask about her. It's hard to find that kind of service now days.

I do like Ming Yats on Georgia Avenue. I hate peas and carrots in my fried rice and they don't use them. Plenty of pork and onions. The egg rolls are great, a combination of pork and shrimp. Good prices too.

I'd still like to know which restaurant closed down. Wouldn't be surprised if it was the original Shangri La. They are never crowded, not even on a Friday night.

David Parker