Rants & Raves

A BIG RANT TO Alvin Mason, who apparently can’t see the impropriety of accepting gifts from Heery International, a company who woos Au­gusta Commission members with plush tickets and campaign donations. Our mayor needs to be made of finer stuff.

FIRST OF ALL, we do not need the five roundabouts in Augusta. The intersections are fine without them. What we need are the roads paved and the pathetic sewer system fixed. Secondly, the commission members who voted to change the waste collection should be investigated for ineptness and pure stupidity. Also, we are still waiting for an explanation as to the decrease in service and no reduction in cost. I don’t care if the garbage trucks are coal-fired so long as they provide good service at a decent price.

WHY DO PEOPLE insist on using their hazard lights during heavy rainfall? It is distracting and an inappropriate use of the lights. I can’t tell if you are stopping, avoiding an accident or just trying to cause one.

PRESIDENT OBAMA’S government is checking everybody’s phone calls, he’s checking on the media’s phone calls, he’s spending millions for IRS parties called “conferences,” and on and on. Meanwhile, U.S. Rep. John Barrow is being quiet as a mouse. Can’t Barrow stand up and finally go on the attack against the president, who is attacking us and our freedom?

THE GOVERNMENT is spying on all of our phone calls and e-mails to identify terrorists. They tell us that it’s only the foreign connections that they are interested in. Right. Look how successful they were in tracking down the Boston terrorists before they carried out their ghastly acts. Even the Russians knew that those two were up to no good, but of course we did not listen.

RANT TO THE people that complain about the water levels at Thur­mond Lake. Everything is fine now, but you need to remember why the lake exists. It was built for power generation, not recreation. There should be no private property sold or developed at the lake because it is a function of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to provide power.

WHY DID SIDNEY “Chuck” Jones, a lawyer, think he could pass bags of tobacco and marijuana to an inmate at the Rich­mond County jail and go undetected? That does not even pass the smell test! For his stupidity, he is now barred from practicing law in Georgia for 11 years. What was he thinking?

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/21/13 - 05:41 pm
A MAJOR RANT TO THE ARC

A MAJOR RANT TO THE ARC COMMISSION

The Gifts, donations, freebies and who knows what else need to stop NOW.

It time develop and pass an serious Ethic and conflict of interest regulation. .

The ARC regulation should cover every ARC employee, Appointee, Contractor, Contractor Staff and Every Elected official and their immediate family members.

No cushy consulting jobs, free tickets, donations, gifts, Retreat trips, meals or "arranged over paid speeches".

ZERO, ZIP, NA-DA
2 years prior, any time during, and 3 years later.

There ain't nothing holding y'all up, but the $$$$$$$$ and yourself.

A proposal could be on the agenda Monday for a vote next week.

If y'all are clueless on how, just Google any of a 1000's such Ethics and Conflict of Interest regulations used by other cities.

Remember gifts are really taxpayer money being used to treat you and as a result taxpayers get less for their taxes.

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/21/13 - 05:52 pm
Here let me help

GOOGLE - County Conflict of Interest regulations

There are 49 pages of samples and examples.
About 490 samples in all.

GOOGLE - County Ethics regulations
There are 50 pages of samples and examples.
About 495 samples in all.

Glad to help.

The Ball's in y'all's court

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/21/13 - 06:03 pm
To 4 & 5

A very long True American speech. Take time to read because every word spoken covers our history today and what could be tomorrow.

‘No More Lies’: Glenn Beck’s Powerful Speech at Tea Party Washington, D.C. Rally

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/21/13 - 07:41 pm
I can't wait til am sat morning

Because I'm buying some Paula Deen books--magazines & etc....this crock has gone on long enough...heck I'm offended with rotten stupid rap music...with the vile words...I'm offended that sooo dang many stay offended all the freaking time....
I think I will stay offended 24/7...

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/21/13 - 08:21 pm
Picture this your heading

Picture this you'er heading down hwy 56 there is no safety
barrier, no suicide lane just 6 inches of a traffic painted
strip and a head on with a car. ADD it is a cloud burst of a
down pour, you can't see 10 feet passed your bumper the car
ahead of you has NO taillights on or very dim lights at best.

So you slow it down to a crawl and a fool behind you like he was born with VAR (Vehicle Avoidance Radar) is doing 50+mph like it was a sprinkle.

Yes using hazard lights during very heavy blinding rainfalls makes sense to me in certain conditions.

That why there are called Hazard Lights and not Flat tire, broke down, accident, or dumb driver lights.

An yes when conditions get really hazardous, I am that fool that turns them on, so that idiot will apply his/her brakes when they get too close in Hazardous conditions to my bumper.

Despite driving a little on the aggressive side myself normally,
In such situations I try to duck into the 1st exit ramp I see and park with the hazards on also.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/21/13 - 10:29 pm
Blinding Rainfall

Good points, nocnoc. But I still say the speed limits on Riverwatch Parkway are too slow.

corgimom
corgimom 06/22/13 - 05:31 am
If the gov't wants to check

If the gov't wants to check on my phone calls and emails, they can. I give my permission. They will be bored silly, but that's ok too.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/22/13 - 06:04 am
Speak for yourself corgi:)

They won't be bored with mine sooo I say stay away from ny mails--phones & etc..

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/22/13 - 06:27 am
Love this gal/business

Paula Deen & Lady & Sons
This woman has gotten thousands of kind remarks on her fb pages.....many are leaving Food Network....we have NOT seen the end of this ..

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/22/13 - 07:00 am
Checking on the Neighbor. Everything Okay?

I'm worried about the Chronicle editorial writers like an elderly neighbor who doesn't get the paper out the driveway one morning. No editorial today. I wonder why? Someone should check on them.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/22/13 - 07:01 am
The Paula Deen name is to big

The Paula Deen name is to big to screw with over such nonsense.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/22/13 - 07:12 am
Every employee should worry now

Sometime in your life you have offended someone...no ifs ands or buts....YOU HAVE......so instead of waiting for the hammer to fall just ahead & resign now.....get it over with....only the "perfect" will survive.

OOOHH I can't wait for the fallout to hit the Food Network,...because if you read the posts on their pages last night..heh...you would see a reason for them to worry...THOUSANDS of negative quotes to FN.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/22/13 - 07:29 am
This rant on FN was esp funny! haha

Holly J. Ingish

Like many people - i liked this page just so I can comment - then I will unlike it - shame shame shame on you. Paula Deen practically put FN on the map and you fire her? Yet you let a husband stealing southern tramp who is not even a cook have a show. The quality of your network is on the decline. I will also never get the magazine again. BOO ON YOU.

Which one is this post talking about???

justthefacts
justthefacts 06/22/13 - 07:29 am
Good Deal

"In a matter of seconds, some smash-and-grab robbers swiped a half-million dollars worth of watches Friday night, according to police.
Investigators believe at least five men entered the Mayors Jewelers store around 6:30 p.m., Sgt. Greg Lyon with Atlanta police told the AJC."

Hey Buddy, wanna buy a watch?

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/22/13 - 07:38 am
There is no such thing as a

There is no such thing as a Southern tramp. We import tramps from up north.

justthefacts
justthefacts 06/22/13 - 07:41 am
Hey River

Uggla got new contacts. Didn't help much did it?

allhans
allhans 06/22/13 - 07:44 am
I think only fools use

I think only fools use derogatory language and not a person of good character. A friend was telling me about her son-in-law calling a parking attendant a really bad, bad word in the presence of his children, ages 4 and 10. This young man is a professional and knows better. WE can do better that that.

allhans
allhans 06/22/13 - 07:50 am
Can you imagine where this

Can you imagine where this eavesdropping thing could end. Right now, some say it's not so bad, but how about in the future.
How do we know what kind of leaders we will have and how far the next president might extend it. Little things tend to grow and grow and then it's too late.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/22/13 - 07:54 am
JTF, I think Ug hit the ball

JTF, I think Ug hit the ball better last night. 0-2 with two walks, I think. When I was watching, he almost hit one out to center. Honestly, he did appear to see the ball better. He wasn't taking those swings at wild pitches and striking out. We'll see.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/22/13 - 08:26 am
Regarding your Thurmond Lake claim

You are mistaken:

"The Thurmond Lake and Dam is one of the southeast's largest and most popular public recreation lakes. The dam Built by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers between 1946 and 1954 but the lake was filled during 1951 and 1952 as part of a flood control, hydropower, and navigation project.[1] Its legally authorized purposes now include recreation, water quality, water supply, and fish and wildlife management. Each year, millions of people utilize the many public parks, marinas, and campgrounds conveniently located around the lake to pursue a variety of outdoor recreational experiences -making Thurmond one of the 10 most visited Corps lakes in the nation."

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 06/22/13 - 08:38 am
Tax

Trash went up to $310, it was $302 last year. So services went down AND fees went up. Their website say $302 but my tax bill says $310.

dichotomy
dichotomy 06/22/13 - 09:20 am
"Even the Russians knew that

"Even the Russians knew that those two were up to no good,"

Yeh, ain't it comforting to know that we have given them all of the tools they need to do this kind of thing and they still missed it even when the Russians rubbed their nose in it.

That makes me feel about as good as knowing the IRS will be enforcing Obamacare and using their powers to influence future elections.

to tell the truth1
to tell the truth1 06/22/13 - 10:34 am
Hazard lights

The ranter complaining about hazard lights, is probably one of those wreck less drivers who still push 60-70 MPH or more under hazard conditions. By the way, heavy rainfall is a HAZARD condition. Especially when it's coming down so hard you can hardly see yet there is enough visibility to continue driving under those conditions. Probably used his drivers manual for a fan!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/22/13 - 11:05 am
I have to agree with you on

I have to agree with you on the hazard lights. Personally, when it is raining sideways, or for any other reason visibility is diminished, I appreciate the cars ahead and the ones I am meeting having flashers on.

Itsallnew11
Itsallnew11 06/22/13 - 12:01 pm
Hazard Lights

During the times when I have to be on the road and there is low visibility I use my hazard lights on because of the "hazardous conditions". There are enough people on the road who have no business driving when it is a clear day must less when it’s down pouring and treacherous. To the ranter....by all means don't use your hazard lights during these hazardous conditions but I, and many others, will continue to do so in an effort to make it home safely to our loved ones. Feel free to blow your horn and give me the finger on the way by so I can pray specifically for you. Safe travels!

corgimom
corgimom 06/22/13 - 12:47 pm
The Russians knew they were

The Russians knew they were up to no good because in Russia, there's no such thing as privacy for anybody. There are also no civil rights, no Constitutional rights, and you are guilty until proven innocent. I can't imagine anybody that would want the US to be like Russia.

sawgrass
sawgrass 06/22/13 - 01:08 pm
Paula Deen

Paula Deen is so fake which includes her fake accent, fake blue eyes, fake smile and now a fake apology. Her only concern is losing revenue.

corgimom
corgimom 06/22/13 - 03:25 pm
Everytime I look at her I

Everytime I look at her I think about the cockroaches crawling on her bed.

corgimom
corgimom 06/22/13 - 04:02 pm
But I'm thinking we need a

But I'm thinking we need a visit from El Lizardo, he's been gone for a long time...he wanted to be the Grand Marshal of the LGBT parade, strictly honorary, you know, he would've been a great addition

Kettle donations rise in 2014