Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

MY FIRST TEST of the 311 phone system was a disaster. I called and was told that it was unavailable for my ZIP code (30904). I tried again and ended up in Savannah, and the operator there gave me a number to call. I called that number and the response I got was, “Thank you for using the 311 system.” After staying on the line for 15 minutes without a live operator, I gave up.

THE MAY 30 STORY about the obstacles Jesika McNeal had to overcome to graduate from Cross Creek High School was as inspirational as I have ever read.

THUNDER OVER Augus­ta was one of the best events that I have seen in a long time for our military – and so family-oriented. I think we should give great raves for the sponsors and to our military who protect our country.

ON JUNE 4, A KIND man stopped and helped me to rescue a stray dog on Walton Way. In the excitement of the moment, if I failed to say “thank you,” please forgive me.

PLEASE EXPLAIN TO me the difference between gifts and courtesy tickets, when those favors come from a contractor working for Richmond County to a county commissioner. Would a cruise ticket be a gift or a courtesy? Would a reputable county official even consider accepting these gratuities?

REDUCING TRASH pickup to once a week is fine with me. What a luxury to have heavy trash, household trash, yard waste and recycling picked up at the curb. In no other city I have lived have I experienced such generous service for less than a dollar a day.

RAVES TO DR. FRANK Roberson for his stance in dealing with the protesters from Copeland School. His remarks reflect the mark of a good leader.

THIS IS A BIG rave for Helen Blocker-Adams, a smart, civic-minded woman, and a big rant to the ranter who thinks she should hide so she won’t ruin Alvin Mason’s chance of becoming mayor.

corgimom
corgimom 06/20/13 - 05:48 pm
"RANT FOR RICHMOND County. I

"RANT FOR RICHMOND County. I see where we are paying our school crossing guards $19 an hour. No wonder the water bill and the sewage bill and the trash bill and everything else goes up. Welders are making $13, air-conditioning technician is $12 an hour and a forklift operator is $10."

I wonder, what is a fair wage for someone that protects childrens' lives, at great risk to their own? I personally have seen crossing guards narrowly escape getting hit.

But my suggestion is that the ranter go apply, I think after they have nearly gotten run down in a crosswalk several times, they will feel differently.

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/20/13 - 06:12 pm
A Rave to Sean Moore

You never know how much he does until he goes on Vacation.

countyman
countyman 06/20/13 - 09:57 pm
Augusta Exchange

Zaxbys is coming to North Augusta/Belvedere and will be located at 1035 Edgefield Rd.

More private construction is coming to the Augusta Exchange, and this is the best chance to create an edge city. A new 8,000 SQ FT building will open near the Home2 Suites by Hilton on the new Exhange Lane.

The Home2 Suites by Hilton, center with Dunkin Donuts/Diablos, multiple office buildings near Doctors Hospital, Tin Drum Asian Cafe, Wheeler Executive Center renovation, Tutti Frutti expansion, etc are some of the recent developments. The Genghis Grill is underway and some of the future developments include the 44 acre development at Walton Way Ext/I-20, property next to Buffalo Wild Wings, Martinez Temple Association at 3730 Wheeler rd, Residence Inn by Marriott at 1110 Marks Church rd, etc.

The next step is for the city to create green space on Wheeler rd, two small signs to increase the sense of community along Wheeler rd between I-20/T Mobile and on Walton Way Ext near I-20, and for private developers to start going up.

Garreau established five rules for a place to be considered an edge city:
1. The area must have more than five million square feet of office space (about the space of a good-sized downtown)
2. The place must include over 600,000 square feet of retail space (the size of a large regional shopping mall)
3. The population must rise every morning and drop every afternoon (i.e., there are more jobs than homes)
5. The area must not have been anything like a ''city" 30 years ago (cow pastures would have been nice)

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/21/13 - 03:48 am
On Edge

Isn't it revealing what an area can accomplish without tax money for a TEE Center, parking deck, riverwalk, arena, auditoriums, performing arts centers, amphitheater, park or a veranda? Matter of fact, the area does so well it can give the hotel tax money it collects to the downtown area. Private enterprise paying its own way. An amazing thing.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/21/13 - 04:07 am
Edge City Description

"4. The place is known as a single end destination (the place "has it all;" entertainment, shopping, recreation, etc.)"

Actually, that's a misunderstanding of what Garreau said. What he said was, "Is perceived by the population as one place."

An edge city is nothing like a city. It is an area of offices where people work, but it is not pedestrian friendly. Few sidewalks exist. People drive to their offices and drive home.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/21/13 - 04:33 am
AMEN to that nocnoc

A Rave to Sean Moore

You never know how much he does until he goes on Vacation.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/21/13 - 04:38 am
Speaking of edge..heh

Sometimes it feels like the edge just posting on here...:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/21/13 - 04:44 am
I'm saying good bye to THE VIEW on tv

Goodbye View..hope you are cancelled...

Hello Paula Deen ..I will buy MORE books-& watch you more than ever...

Again...here we go..just like the fireman made a careless statement...not enough to lose his job over BUT some mouthed off that he should....well Paula spoke the truth when she said she had used slurs in the past....as we all tend to do if we are human....when a host like Whoopi goes on air & rants about Deen & wants to bring her down...I say OOOPS...enough is enough....bye bye whoopi...

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/21/13 - 04:56 am
Speaking of "EDGE"

Augusta-Richmond Co. is has been moving towards the edge of Columbia Co. since taxpayer consolidation.

I expect they will look like ARC in another 20 years and then next comes McDuffie Co..

Kind of sounds like a Virus or Mold spreading doesn't it?

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/21/13 - 04:59 am
Riverman - has a nack

for the cleanest, sharpest Sarcasm in the AC.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/21/13 - 05:00 am
A turtle crossing the road

Yesterday I watched a medium size turtle try to cross a busy road stop near the Mall in Alpharetta.....cars whizzing by...he didn't stand a chance...BUT wait a minute....a car passenger door opens...a young girl steps out...she picks up the turtle & takes him to the woods & places him there...the cars sat still----no one honked---no one hurried--the lights changed again--didn't matter to the crowd.......we watched humans being human....sometimes the world does stand still.♥

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/21/13 - 05:09 am
Yeh..he has a nack alright!

Haha...

It seems the city is moving toward Columbia county....BUT yall don't have a BIIG ferris wheel like we will have in a few weeks...baabbaabaa.

It will light up the sky in downtown Atlanta....I loved them at the fair in Augusta.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 06/21/13 - 05:17 am
"....well Paula spoke the

"....well Paula spoke the truth when she said she had used slurs in the past....as we all tend to do if we are human..."

That statement leaves me to ponder if I may be superhuman or subhuman??

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/21/13 - 05:20 am
Well palmetto

If you have NEVER misspoke...maybe you are super human..I am not!

corgimom
corgimom 06/21/13 - 05:25 am
Yeah, Augusta needs more

Yeah, Augusta needs more hotel rooms for the meth labs and the prostitutes, not to mention the drug dealers and the homeless.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 06/21/13 - 05:34 am
I've misspoken a lot....and

I've misspoken a lot....and with both feet. But the topic was the use of racial slurs.

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/21/13 - 05:34 am
Turtles and humor. SBI4 - Saw

Turtles and humor.

SBI4 - Saw the same thing over here on Old Waynesboro Rd. but for different reasons.

We topped the hill by Cross Creek HHS and headed down the road to Spirit Creek and there was several cars stopped in the road on both sides.
In the road was a young man waddling (saggin) up walking up to a large turtle I asked why all the commotion over a Turtle?

The old Bubba looking guy replied.
"We figure he doesn't know its a Snapping Turtle." and with a big smile point at the guys car tags.

Then I understood , New York...☺

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/21/13 - 05:51 am
Post turtle joke..

"When you're driving down a country road and you
come across a fence post with a turtle balanced on top,
that's a "post turtle".
The old rancher saw a puzzled look on the doctor's
face, so he continued to explain. You know he didn't get
up there by himself, he doesn't belong up there, he
doesn't know what to do while he is up there, and you
just wonder what kind of a dumbbunnie put him up there in the
first place.

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/21/13 - 06:04 am
On serious note and a MAJOR

On serious note and a MAJOR RANT.

As usual all hell broke loose and died off after a week or 2, about the NSA spying on US Citizens. It seems the Politicians and Bureaucracy were just weathering another storm waiting for it to, to pass and the public to lose interest and move on.

NOW WE MAY KNOW WHY?
FBI whistle blower Sibel Edmonds and Russ Tice, also a former intelligence analyst and Bush-era NSA whistle blower, have come forth.

They dropped a major bombshell about the extent of NSA spying.

Disclosing the NSA spied on high-ranking military officers; members in the Senate and the House, especially on the intelligence committees, armed services committees, various judges, lawyers and law firms. 1 of the spied on judges is now sitting on the Supreme Court, 2 Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act court judges, State Department officials and went after people in the executive service that were part of the White House.

YES even Obama in 2004, as a Senator, was spied on.

It is obvious that such wide-ranging surveillance of officials could provide the intelligence agencies with unthinkable power to blackmail any opponents.

BTW:
This is the same whistle blower that the Anti-Bush and Liberal crowd used to show the misdealings of the Bush Admin.

So he has credibility on both sides of the isle.

A Little History.
Mr. Tice was the key source in a bombshell New York Times report that exposed the Bush administration’s use of warrant-less wiretapping of communications in and out of the United States.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/21/13 - 06:57 am
Good Morning "So Offended" America.

The word "Offended" has been written so many times in the past 3 AC days, that the word offended has almost become offensive.
It seems that it is getting to the point what we see, say or hear causes someone to be offended.
Heck, the AC even finds the American alphabet ((P)) offensive, had one poo canned day before yesterday.
I must be some strange creature because there are very few see, say or hear things that offend me. In my 20 years of service, I believe I have been call every name known to man. I just can see the modern day military drill Sargent today......"Hello all my Sweet Darlings, we are now gathering to get together to..........."
Some things do offend me, Like for instance, Every time I drive past that used car lot Larry's next to the cement figurine business on Gordon Hwy, their 5 or 6 American Flags are completely faded, torn and ends shredded. Then again, being in South Augusta it may be attracting those that don't give a hoot about America.
The American Flag represents what little we have of our Great country and should be displayed with Honor & Respect.

Maybe because I love my country, someone will find this offensive and have it pulled.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/21/13 - 07:09 am
Are the good times really over..cgee?

I will be looking at the big moon this weekend...but I'll be seeing you.....supermoon this weekend...

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/21/13 - 07:11 am
Congratulation RM

You made Hard Copy AC yesterday.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/21/13 - 07:17 am
Yes B4

The good times in America are over.....

Control, Lies and Corruption .. Going to be hard to make a CW song out of them.

KSL
KSL 06/21/13 - 07:20 am
nocnoc @ 7:04

Blackmail -- could explain the actions or lack thereof in the judicial and legislative branches of our government.

lifelongresident
lifelongresident 06/21/13 - 07:21 am
DEAR RANT#3

becasue crossing guards get paid 19.00 per hour your water bills goes up????? i don't see the connection..maybe you need to go back to school or contact your local government sna school board for an explaination because the crossing guards is paid for out of school tax revenue not money going to the local government they are two sepereate governing bodies and their revenues are not shared, nor are their mill rates connected. you school taxes can increase but you local gov't taxes can go down...i think you may be missing something...check your tax bill again or contact the tax commissioners office for help....you have got to be an OBAMA VOTER!!!!!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/21/13 - 07:23 am
Hard copy RM??

When you said hard copy..the 1st thing I thought of was a hard copy magazine with hard muscle toned bodies....but then you said River's name...I looked but didn't see him there..(for some reason) :)

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 06/21/13 - 07:31 am
Paula Deen

I think someone should ask Whoopi Goldberg is she's ever used that same slur. I'm absolutely certain there is footage of her using it. Don't throw rocks when you live in a glass bubble!!!!

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 06/21/13 - 07:34 am
big moon this weekend...but I'll be seeing you..

Seenit, what did we tell you about peeping?

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/21/13 - 07:41 am
Peeping!!!

I was just thinking & looking at Toby Keiths pictures.....now that is someone I would peep at.....it would be extra tough on me to keep from running up to that man & giving him a bear hugg....I would try to control myself BUT can't promise anything.....trouble would probably knock me over B4 I could get close to him though....hahah

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/21/13 - 08:22 am

To ranter #1 and 311 — my guess is that ranter #1 was using a cell phone where purchase and service were set up in another state. Sure, she's living in 30904 now, but the cell phone could have been set up in 70659 and they don't know which 311 system to use. Could that be true?