Rants & Raves

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 12:55 PM
Last updated 7:14 PM

Comments from readers:

THE LYDIA PROJECT is doing so much good work. The recent article in the paper highlights the addition of 10 bedrooms to be used by women who live 30 miles or more from Augusta while they are being treated for cancer in Augusta. The Lydia Project is also paying some bills for women facing cancer. Now, that’s an organization worthy of our support!

IT WAS REPORTED that Americans throw away more than a third of the food they buy, which is almost $400 a year per person. If you go into any of the buffets in town, you cannot help but notice how much food is wasted. Please act responsibly and take only food from the buffet that you can eat.

A HUGE RAVE to Bob Kerzner and the Augusta RiverHawks organization for handling the bad luck in a professional and responsible way. As opposed to the past ownership, you refunded all money due the fans who faithfully supported the team. I sincerely hope things work out for you with future ice hockey in this area.

COACH WILKINS WAS fired two years too late. Greenbrier High School would have had two championships by now. All I can say is, karma.

WE KNOW WHAT government-run health care will look like. A 10-year-old girl will be denied a lung transplant because federal regulations haven’t kept track with medical progress. Kathleen Sebelius, the secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services, attempted to end the hopes of this child and her family with these chilling words: “Some people live; some people die.” Fortunately, a federal judge lifted Sebelius’ death sentence.

SEN. JOHN MCCAIN was noble and a hero for his actions during the Vietnam War. However, his attempts to get the U.S. involved in yet another conflict (Syria) that is none of our affair is, at best, insane.

I REMEMBER THAT in the 1970s we used to accuse Richard Nixon of trying to make himself king. Well, he had nothing on Obama.

LET’S THINK AUGUSTA Commission member Alvin Mason’s comments through. If Ed McIntyre had put his “gifts” into his election campaign committee, that would have made it legal?

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/20/13 - 08:49 am
A Twist on Gifts

In a little twist, apparently, some departments have employees buying tickets to games in Atlanta for influential people in their department. Some mid level employees even send certain people on trips out of the country. I wonder what the payback is?

dichotomy
dichotomy 06/20/13 - 09:07 am
Most of the speeding cop cars

Most of the speeding cop cars I've seen with no lights and sirens were headed to roll call. I used to follow speeding cop cars almost every morning doing 65 - 70 down Doug Bernard on onto Gordon Hwy. They came in handy if I was running late to work. The way those guys were driving, I had no fear that they were going to try and pull me over.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/20/13 - 09:45 am
Hwy. 56

I've noticed a similar phenomenon on Hwy. 56, dichotomy. Now that the sheriff dept. muster location has moved there, the average speed on Hwy. 56 has increased.

harley_52
harley_52 06/20/13 - 10:07 am
"That is precisely the problem; ....

....the attitude is one of requiring unquestioning obedience. If not, they will "come up with something" to ruin the subject's life, often by perjuring themselves while other cops will swear to it."

I'm not a cop, so I don't know all the possible charges. My point is that the citizen has no way of knowing where the cop is going, or why. If he's speeding and you speed too, you're guilty of speeding. If you somehow get in the way of what he's doing, you are probably obstructing and/or aiding the criminal. Again, I don't know all the possible charges. My point is simply that it's not a good idea to follow speeding cops with the idea that it's your job to lecture them on the laws.

Also, I don't share your disdain for the police, nor your assumption that they are all dishonest. I think the vast majority them are honorable, dedicated professionals.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/20/13 - 10:36 am
I wonder why Columbia County

I wonder why Columbia County hasn't found it necessary to have something like Heery with all the building they've done over the past decade?

daphne3520
daphne3520 06/20/13 - 10:36 am
I wonder......

WHY has there been no mention, that I am aware of, in the AC about the 17 year old that drowned Sunday at Lake Murray?????

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/20/13 - 10:56 am
Columbia County

Because Richard Harmon takes his job seriously, has hired a hardworking staff of supervisors and workers, and insists on work performance from himself and his staff.

Fred (What, me worry?) Russell has not done those things.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 06/20/13 - 11:23 am
harley-52

harley said it best, along with the person who says get the car number and call it in or report it to the media!. LEO's who drive those vehicles are expected to respond on very short notice, in shorts, t shirts and flip flops if necessary. As I said before, 99% of you aren't privey to the information they nor I have. If you were you'd be very worried. Things are happening in countries considered Neutral that would make you run for the hills.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/20/13 - 02:04 pm
Fairness where did it go

Posts are getting tossed like paper roses ....I might wait til SM comes back.....next Monday I think!!!!!!!!!

We miss ya when you are gone...have a good vac but hurry back please..:)

harley_52
harley_52 06/20/13 - 02:36 pm
"I wonder why Columbia County hasn't found it necessary....

....to have something like Heery with all the building they've done over the past decade?"

I'm pretty sure it's because people in Columbia County are far wiser, better educated, friendlier, more polite, kinder, prettier, wealthier, and more likely to succeed.

Why would they need any help?

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/20/13 - 02:41 pm
Oh harley THAT was good..:)

But prettier....nahhh...hahahahah

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/20/13 - 04:28 pm
A problem with opinions

Some seem to have a problem with others opinions or post.....your right to do so BUT I have been deleted for less than what you just posted....you see we all think we have a right to post & we don't always think others are posting a lot of crap....
I bet it REALLY did stink up the place...have a nice day.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/20/13 - 04:31 pm
OOPS

I see you have problems with riverman too...at least I'm with good company..:)

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/20/13 - 04:55 pm
Hahaha...y'all cwazy. Harley,

Hahaha...y'all cwazy. Harley, that was good.

seenitB4