Rants & Raves

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 12:55 PM
Last updated 7:14 PM

Comments from readers:

THE LYDIA PROJECT is doing so much good work. The recent article in the paper highlights the addition of 10 bedrooms to be used by women who live 30 miles or more from Augusta while they are being treated for cancer in Augusta. The Lydia Project is also paying some bills for women facing cancer. Now, that’s an organization worthy of our support!

IT WAS REPORTED that Americans throw away more than a third of the food they buy, which is almost $400 a year per person. If you go into any of the buffets in town, you cannot help but notice how much food is wasted. Please act responsibly and take only food from the buffet that you can eat.

A HUGE RAVE to Bob Kerzner and the Augusta RiverHawks organization for handling the bad luck in a professional and responsible way. As opposed to the past ownership, you refunded all money due the fans who faithfully supported the team. I sincerely hope things work out for you with future ice hockey in this area.

COACH WILKINS WAS fired two years too late. Greenbrier High School would have had two championships by now. All I can say is, karma.

WE KNOW WHAT government-run health care will look like. A 10-year-old girl will be denied a lung transplant because federal regulations haven’t kept track with medical progress. Kathleen Sebelius, the secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services, attempted to end the hopes of this child and her family with these chilling words: “Some people live; some people die.” Fortunately, a federal judge lifted Sebelius’ death sentence.

SEN. JOHN MCCAIN was noble and a hero for his actions during the Vietnam War. However, his attempts to get the U.S. involved in yet another conflict (Syria) that is none of our affair is, at best, insane.

I REMEMBER THAT in the 1970s we used to accuse Richard Nixon of trying to make himself king. Well, he had nothing on Obama.

LET’S THINK AUGUSTA Commission member Alvin Mason’s comments through. If Ed McIntyre had put his “gifts” into his election campaign committee, that would have made it legal?

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 06/19/13 - 12:05 pm
HELLO

Hello...hello ... ello.....lo....[crickets chirping]

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/19/13 - 04:00 pm
chilling words: “Some people

chilling words: “Some people live; some people die.”

Any one still denying that YOMAMA-CARE has Death Panels?

A person fighting for their life should do it in a hospital
and NOT have to do it in a courtroom.

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/19/13 - 04:22 pm
Just to add a little fire to

Just to add a little fire to the Once a week garbage

During a typical ARC summer -- optimal conditions for a housefly -- the cycle, from fertilized egg to adult, spans a mere 7 to 10 days.

They lay 100 - 400 eggs at a time.
Life expectancy of a housefly is generally 15 to 30 days.

Houseflies are known to carry over 100 diseases, including tuberculosis and cholera.

They transmit diseases both by feeding and by carrying pathogens on their feet and mouths.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/19/13 - 06:15 pm
And just think nocnoc

YOU can't fire them either...THAT is what I don't like about the deal.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/19/13 - 07:11 pm
Under the Bus

The RCSO Deputy the lady confronted for speeding, from all reports is an excellent officer and person. The lady apparently followed him speeding without his blue lights on and confronted him. I'm not taking up for him, but let's not throw him under the bus either. I can see circumstances...or, yes, lapses, where an officer may speed without his/her lights on. Wait until the RCSO spokespeople give us the facts before jumping to conclusions.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/19/13 - 07:20 pm
Corruption

Election campaign funds have to be carefully accounted for. More than one person has gone to jail for misuse of those funds. What's going on now with the gifts to public officials simply stinks. The ones who got thousands of dollars should be scrutinized to see exactly where their campaign contributions were spent. The statement of "paid off a loan on my house" is troublesome at face value.

I saw where someone criticized Mayor Deke for not stepping up to the plate and addressing the Heery issue. While I'm no Deke fan, I'll say he appears the only who has been around a while who didn't accept anything.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/19/13 - 07:42 pm
Death Sentence

Ranter # 5:

Fortunately, a federal judge lifted Sebelius’ death sentence on a 10-year-old girl.

Yeah, but the judge sentenced the unreported person bumped off the transplant list for the 10-year-old girl to a death sentence. The judges and the bureaucrats do not improve the odds, they just pick favorites.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/19/13 - 07:44 pm
Irrelevant

Riverman1 posted:

harley_52
harley_52 06/19/13 - 08:51 pm
There Are Many Occasions...

....when police officers respond to calls without lights and siren. Sometimes they don't want to draw attention to the fact that they are responding. If citizens start following speeding cops by speeding themselves, it only increases the danger and probably provides the officer with a good reason to charge the pursuing citizen with some sort of offense. I don't think "nosiness," or "pain in the arse" are crimes per se, but I'm sure the officer could come up with something reasonable.

TCB22
TCB22 06/19/13 - 09:03 pm
Lapse of judgment: Part 2

Riverman would you also say that an officer from Augusta who stops by a Columbia County office dumpster in the early morning hours in his patrol car to dump a load of fish heads is also a lapse of judgment? At least his superiors made him retrieve his stinky garbage when he was reported.

Is it asking too much for law enforcement officers to start using good judgment.?

corgimom
corgimom 06/19/13 - 09:28 pm
I have once a week trash

I have once a week trash pickup where I live, once every other week for recyclables. It works just fine.

If my trash can gets too smelly, I hose it out, dump some bleach in it, let it set for a couple of hours, and then hose it out again.

If you keep the lid tight on the trash can, you won't have flies. And if you are too careless not to put the lid on, and you get flies, it's your own fault.

Darby
Darby 06/19/13 - 11:49 pm
"The judges and the bureaucrats do not

improve the odds, they just pick favorites."

Not so. Not at all. If there had been only one list, the little girl would have been first on that list.

The judge's decision just made things right. That is what judges are supposed to do, isn't it?

Anyway, since the adult was #2 on the list to begin with, we certainly don't know that he will die because of the decision. He may well live until a donor becomes available.

Additionally, the adult may well NOT have even been a match for the lungs that the little girl received.

Let's not be judgmental.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 06/20/13 - 05:30 am
Under The Bus

From past experience, most calls responded to by Police Officers are without lights and sirens. Following them or chasing them can result in you being charged with more charges than there are lawyers in Augusta. From traffic charges to felonies. If I were still active as a LEO today and someone was following me they would have to explain why they are doing so, and probably from the prone position on the ground from a felony traffic stop. Yes, there would be more than one weapon at the ready. Think before you do anything like this. With the things going on in the world and right here in the USA that you generally don't hear about, but LEO's do, this bright idea should qualify you for shock treatments. If someone is breaking into my home and survives, I don't want to hear sirens, I want to hear a 40 cal Glock taking him out!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/20/13 - 06:16 am
AMEN TO THAT

Thanks coldbeer & harley.....good common sense goes a long way.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/20/13 - 06:28 am
ksl...about posters disliking us

Darn tooting they do & that makes our best posts on here...we haven't had a good pow wow since I don't know when....you know the kind I'm speaking of...lol haha...clears the sinus drains---makes the blood pop...yea what fun times....ole Sean will be back soon soo that will calm the seas mighty fast though...:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/20/13 - 06:31 am
Is it a tax paid for dumpster??

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 06/20/13 - 06:36 am
"...I'm sure the officer could come up with

... something reasonable..."

That is precisely the problem; the attitude is one of requiring unquestioning obedience. If not, they will "come up with something" to ruin the subject's life, often by perjuring themselves while other cops will swear to it.

"Protect and Serve" has to be the longest running joke in history.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/20/13 - 06:36 am
To this rant

We really should not waste any food like that....all leftovers should go to feeding farm animals (at prison for instance..real animals I mean)& edible clean food should go to food banks.....we have many strict dumb laws that prevent some of this .....

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/20/13 - 06:58 am
stewart

The only reason I can think of for chasing a police car is your life is in danger or you need to get to the hospital quickly for someone else.....what other reasons make sense.....
If you don't like what he is doing get the # on car & call about it but who would chase them.....you could bite off much more than you can chew...imho..

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 06/20/13 - 06:59 am
I agree that police often respond to calls without lights

or sirens but not in shorts and flip flops. However great a guy he is he should be admonished for using his patrol car for personal business. That's what is wrong with government today. If you let small infractions go they add up to bigger ones until the line between big and small is so obscured nobody thinks they answer to anyone. For example: The entire Augusta Commission, Fred Russell, The Procurement Department etc. etc.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/20/13 - 07:01 am
But

I would be ok if coldbeer chased me...heck..he might even have some cold beer & peanuts...:):)

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/20/13 - 07:05 am
hahah littlelamb

Irrelevant

Riverman1 posted:

Did you just say the RM was irrelevant???? haha....:)oh lordy!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/20/13 - 07:26 am
Ooooops

I wasn't clear, SeenIt. I meant that Mayor Deke is irrelevant to the ethics debate in Richmond County government. The ethics debate is important. Deke doesn't go there.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/20/13 - 07:29 am
Hah

He will probably let ya live to see another day....you know how TOUCHY he is about his posts on here...:)

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 06/20/13 - 07:52 am
Seenit, my sweet

... I have more sense than to chase cop cars. That can only end badly; as noted earlier by a contributor, probably on the ground, getting the crap kicked out of me by a gang of adrenaline junkies with delusions of godhood. Later, they can always "come up with something" to justify it.

(Their summation, not mine.)

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/20/13 - 08:04 am
thankya stewart

I sure don't want the crap beat outta ya....keep yourself intact please...btw...be nice to your post office workers.....just like being nice to me.....that place has been busy in GROOVYTOWN I hear...:)

gotta go...lots to do.....some I want to do..LOL

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/20/13 - 08:07 am
Keep those thumbs going

Hahah...AC lovesya every time you punch that thumb..LOL

allhans
allhans 06/20/13 - 11:32 am
I can only wonder about the

I can only wonder about the reason for the lady chasing the deputy.
What was she looking for?

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/20/13 - 08:22 am
Relevant

LL said, "With Fred Russell and six commissioners in its pocket, Heery didn't need to waste their money on Deke."

The thing is for whatever reason, Deke didn't play with them and take gifts. It could be he wasn't needed because he has no power, but you have to give him credit for being one of the few who stayed away from it. That's relevant.

Of the old group of Commissioners I think they all took something from Heery, but Jerry Brigham and I may be wrong about him. Even Joe Bowles took a ticket.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/20/13 - 08:38 am
Who knocked off Tony Soprano?

Who knocked off Tony Soprano? I ain't buying the boss had a heart attack and everything faded to black.

Kettle donations rise in 2014