Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

RANT TO THE “gentlemen” in the IGA parking lot on Deans Bridge Road who watched as my daughter and I changed her flat tire. Although I am not by any means a helpless woman, it would have been nice to have a little assistance instead of an audience.

I SURE HOPE I don’t turn left into an intersection where one ranter considers looking left when making a right-hand turn a waste of time.

TO THE MEDICAL transporter getting tickets: If you transport my loved ones in a dangerous way where you deserve the ticket, you will get more from me than just a ticket. Watch your driving or stop doing medical transporting!

THE PAST FEW YEARS have been tough for a lot of us. Meanwhile, the IRS has been whooping it up on 220 shameless conferences to the tune of $50 million during that period. All of this funded by our money, of course.

A HEARTFELT RAVE to the woman who won money on a lottery ticket at the Food Lion on Columbia Road last week. Our volunteer for Columbia County Animal Services was posting fliers about our overload of kittens for adoption. This kind lady thanked her for what she was doing and left the store. She returned to explain that she was allergic to cats but wanted to donate her winnings to pay for the next kitten adopted. Because of her generosity a homeless kitten now has a loving home and she has our sincere thanks.

I’M A TEACHER IN Richmond County and if I got in half the trouble Dr. Frazier got into I wouldn’t have a job. If the school board brings him back for the 2013-14 school year then every school board member should be voted out.

BRING BACK COACH Wilkins? Don’t feel bad. The Josey coaches were fired, too. I am one of them.

Comments (34)

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/18/13 - 06:54 pm

A Heart felt Rave for our ARC - GA. Dept. of Veterans Services.

After the recent death of a 20+ year Vet in our family.
The Blue Goose Office of the GA. Dept. of Veterans Services has been there to help us with piles of forms that require forms and other red tape to build a puzzle map for the VA.

2 employees were especially great in fast tracking the process, helping us avoid what seems like VA deliberate red tape delays built in to the filing process.

Thanks to these 2 individuals
Daniel Jones and John McKenzie

Because of them, a veterans elderly widow will get her benefits in under 90 days, instead of the usual 180+ days and several demands for additions forms that are all too common.

If you are GA . VET. the GA. Dept. of Veterans Services be your 1st stop for support after discharge.

GA. Dept. of Veterans Services
1101 / 15th Street in Augusta GA.
706-721-4301

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/18/13 - 07:43 pm

Good news

He is out of the hospital....I really wish this man good luck .....♥

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/18/13 - 09:51 pm

TAANSTAAFL

There is no free lunch, lady. Either you pay for your own lunch and your kids’ lunches; or the taxpayers pay for them.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/18/13 - 10:14 pm

"COLUMBIA COUNTY IS the

"COLUMBIA COUNTY IS the richest county but the school system always cuts the jobs of poor people and blacks. Why can’t they cut white-collar jobs? The schools need to be clean for our kids and you need custodians to do it."

Ummm, the wealth of the citizens has nothing to do with your rant; but I feel your pain about low level employees getting the ax first. Our entire education system is top heavy with administrators.

I don't remember the exact stats, but 15 or 20 years ago I read an article about the ratio of admins to students in the mid 60's compared to then. It had quadrupled or quintupled; and I suspect it is even more now, with poorer results.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/18/13 - 10:16 pm

"WHY DO PEOPLE get those huge

"WHY DO PEOPLE get those huge trucks if they aren’t able to properly park them … or drive them, for that matter?"

Many are status symbols. Boys and their toys. Mine is bigger than yours.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/18/13 - 10:26 pm

"LAST YEAR, EVERYTHING at the

"LAST YEAR, EVERYTHING at the library’s block party was free! This year $6 for chicken, $2 for water and $3 for ice cream. My kids and I were disappointed."

Nothing is FREE, someone pays one way or another; and in the case of a public library it is the taxpayers of that municipality.

I apologize if I have you mischaracterized, but your rant sounds very typical of someone who feels entitled to the fruits of others' efforts.

Edit: OOPS, I parroted LL's sentiment. Let me just say "what he said!"

KSL
KSL 06/18/13 - 10:34 pm

Count me in on that ita nd ll

Sounds like they went for the free food. I am sick of people like that.

Jake
Jake 06/18/13 - 11:05 pm

Free

The next time you go to a "free" meal sponsored by someone else then it would be courteous to bring your checkbook and make a donation to the sponsor. Unless, of course, you are going to just get something for nothing. Every "free" meal is not really free and costs the sponsor money. If you care enough to go to the event then you should be responsible enough to support it.

I am now awaiting the "I hate my year end gift" rant from the disgruntled teachers. My family's year end gift to my teachers was the fact that they did not have to have me for another year.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/18/13 - 11:24 pm

Year End Gift

Good to hear from you again, Jake. My spouse is headed out to San Jose this Thursday. We both enjoyed seeing you out there last year. Hope you and your family have a good summer.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/19/13 - 03:50 am

Thanks corgi...I'll ck it♥

Seenit, I have another good book for you. This one is fiction.

The Silver Star, by Jeanette Wells. It's set in VA, you'll love it.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/19/13 - 04:15 am

To this

Evidently you aren't blonde & helpless .....ya gotta play the part..:)

fatboyhog
fatboyhog 06/19/13 - 06:45 am

Vote for me

No more free stuff...ever!

I am sick and tired of free loaders, be it individuals or corporations. Greed and laziness are killing this country.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/19/13 - 08:05 am

Ellis Street Shooting

I noticed in another article that a car being driven down Ellis St. was damaged by bullets hitting it. If we had built the Ellis St Canal that Andy Cheek proposed we would have to have gun boats running up and down the canal.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/19/13 - 08:12 am

My Take on R and R's

If you want to eat free go to a friendly relative’s house, not a library event.

If you can’t change your tire or pay to have it done, don’t drive.

Ambulances should slow down and obey traffic laws.

Dr. Frazier must be doing something right to anger the teacher.

The bigger the truck, the smaller the….

JRC2024
JRC2024 06/19/13 - 08:20 am

Why should the food be free.

Why should the food be free. You go to the library to get books, not chicken. Teach you children the right thing that things are not free in life and that someone had to pay for them. My feelings are the same as Fatboyhog.. I am sick and tired of those that think they should get something for nothing.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/19/13 - 09:05 am

Obama to Fire Ben Bernanke

Obama is about to get rid of Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke he's said. I wonder if he found out he was born in Augusta?

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 06/19/13 - 09:28 am

Regarding changing the tire.

Regarding changing the tire. Maybe he figured you could use the workout. Maybe he thought if he tried to help, he could get clocked and robbed. Maybe he thought it would be a important life lesson for the daughter. Maybe he thought the help would not be appreciated, since there are still women's libbers around. Maybe he simply was partially disabled in a way you can not see and was unable to help. Good grief, save your self-righteous indignation for something more important or call for road-side assistance. IF you have car insurance, you should HAVE it.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 06/19/13 - 10:37 am

Anyone know why every police

Anyone know why every police car in Augusta was seeming to be flying lights and sirens toward Walmart Bobby Jones Deans Bridge Road Barton Chapel Road vicinity last night about 10pm? That would be Tuesday June 18, 2013....

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/19/13 - 10:52 am

Good Morning "AC" America.

There is still time to meet your keyboard friends at the Shootout and meeting of the Minds at Cobalt Park on the 29th.

I was browsing though my AC archives and came across this one which I think was very good and why get together is a great way to make friends.

This was published in 2008 by AC. Some are now in heaven on Gods blog site and still maybe monitoring us. Some are still here under different user names.

The comments are interesting to read.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/19/13 - 11:00 am

The Last Comment

was made by one that I got to know very well. A great person and Veteran. It is sad that he had to leave us. He would be ranking high in points by now.

dichotomy
dichotomy 06/19/13 - 11:09 am

"LAST YEAR, EVERYTHING at the

"LAST YEAR, EVERYTHING at the library’s block party was free!"

Hmm, I was not aware that our tax dollars had been used to provide free food and drink at block parties. If that is true, it should NOT have happened the first time and it should NEVER happen again.

I don't think any "City" entity has ever thrown a free food and drink shindig in Southeast Richmond County.

countyman
countyman 06/19/13 - 11:36 am

The CBD is not Harrisburg

The idea for the water running through Ellis street was proposed for the CBD. The recent shooting covered in the Chronicle happen on the 1900 block of Ellis street which is located in Harrisburg.

Once again, people can say whatever false things they want too about Richmond. Soon as I mention Columbia though its the end of the world

Sweet son
Sweet son 06/19/13 - 12:14 pm

Hey Riverman; Your comment about the big trucks made me

wonder. "The bigger the truck, the smaller the…." If I drive an old Honda Civic what does that mean? LOL!

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/19/13 - 12:15 pm

Thanks cgee

Thanks for puttting that link on here,....usafvet was special in many ways....missing some ole posters too.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/19/13 - 12:31 pm

Slim Whitman dies (a singer)

Indian Love Call --famous song of his

seeya later

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/19/13 - 01:32 pm

Countyman, it was a joke. :)

Countyman, it was a joke. :)

But maybe you should put up signs on Ellis St. and others where we will know when we have entered (or leaving) the safe CBD and won't be shot? That must be a very secure border to keep the crime on the other side.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/19/13 - 03:46 pm

I'm sorry Riverman

We don't do jokes here....:0

(In some eyes)

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/19/13 - 03:57 pm
seenitB4
seenitB4 06/19/13 - 04:07 pm

Maybe it is invisible/bullet stops & drops

"That must be a very secure border to keep the crime on the other side."