Rants & Raves

SOMEONE PAID FOR our bill at Pizza Hut in North Augusta on May 28 and we are going to pass it on. Thank you very much.

HELEN BLOCKER-ADAMS, if you read her editorial, is all about “me.” She is self-absorbed. She is not a good candidate for mayor.

GRU, IS THAT short for gruesome?

BEING THE NO. 2 MAN in al-Qaida doesn’t sound like a very good job. They’ve killed about 10 of them the past year or two.

TO MAYOR BLOOMBERG: I live in Augusta, Ga. I am a free person. Today I drank a 2-liter cola. Ha ha ha.

RAVES TO MY NEWSPA­PER carrier, Roberta Mosley. I am a senior and no matter what the weather, my paper is on the porch. Thank you!

HOW IS IT THAT anytime Christians want public accommodation, there are howls of “separation of church and state!”? While when the Muslims want something, those same voices are shrieking, “Free practice of religion!”?

AS A SMALL BUSINESS OWNER on Broad Street for five years, I can say that I am definitely in favor of closing the bars at midnight. Every Satur­day and Sunday morning I have to spend extra time cleaning up vomit and broken beer bottles outside my shop from the drunks partying the night before. I am not anti-bar and want people to be able to come downtown to enjoy themselves. But I can say that the folks who are out past midnight are mostly troublemakers.

I WISH THE RCBOE would consider across- the-board motions to alleviate the 7 percent cut each school must “paste together.” How about combining low population schools, and moving the school start date to September? Perhaps those two moves alone would keep schools staffed and students learning. Let’s be brave and think outside the chalkboard.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/15/13 - 08:52 pm
Last Ranter

The last rant above actually does present two ideas that would improve the school system and save money.

Little Lamb's additional idea would be to move to a four-day school week, Tuesday through Friday. There are lots of savings on transportation costs, cafeteria costs, and energy usage.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/15/13 - 10:05 pm
No; they've been paying attention to real statistics.

"I CANNOT BELIEVE that this person thinks because people come from homes with unmarried welfare mothers that they will end up on the streets. Where has this person been? Under a rock?"

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/15/13 - 10:08 pm
LL, how would you make up for

LL, how would you make up for lost classroom time? I doubt you could cram 5 days into 4, as I suspect their brains are done at the end of the day as it is. I know mine was. After lunch was always a struggle to pay attention.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/15/13 - 10:12 pm
Kill the VAMC's

And give the veterans insurance to get care in the private sector.

"RAVE FOR THE VA for all it does for us veterans, but a rant for some of the doctors you have to deal with up there. The one I saw the other day needs patient-doctor training. I hope I never have to see him again."

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/15/13 - 10:29 pm

As one who has done their share of bar-hopping in my younger years, your assessment has been my experience as well. The later it gets, the higher the percentage of drunken trouble makers.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/16/13 - 06:20 am
About Mayoral candidate Helen

About Mayoral candidate Helen Blocker-Adams being "self-absorbed," what politician isn't?

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/16/13 - 06:19 am
Barry Paschal Gone

The Columbia County News Times still has Barry Paschal's name on the menu under "opinion," but he is gone. It sure didn't take him long to leave. They have a guest columnist today. I wonder when Bill Kirby will take over and what his style will be like with hard editorials?

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/16/13 - 07:56 am
1st thing this am

I am thankful that nocnoc wasn't harmed with the intruder in his yard......great pic of him btw......just shows that the outside camera comes in handy......this is in the outskirts of Richmond county & noc said the police showed up in just mins.....not like ole times when it took 20 mins or more.....sooooo I'm thinking when the police see this photo they can identify this jerk..hope so.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/16/13 - 07:58 am
To this rant

Haha..I have been thinking the same thing...I mean HOW many #2 men can they have...lol

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/16/13 - 08:00 am
This rant

GRU, IS THAT short for gruesome?

No.. not all but the stats don't lie...many many end up in poor-welfare households.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/16/13 - 08:03 am
Good ideas ranter

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/16/13 - 08:33 am
Disinterest

There's not much commenting activity on Michaux's story about Phil Mickelson. Maybe it's because it's hard to find the story. Here's the link:

Is It Time?

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 06/16/13 - 08:39 am
School Dates

When I was in school it didn't start until September and we got out in May. Partially due to no air conditioning and partially to so many of us lived on farms. Many of my school mates who didn't live on farms worked on then during the summer. BTW, I never worked in an air conditioned field.

Shortening the school year would save tons of money in utility expenses alone. And it is simple to do... reduce the number of and the duration of holiday breaks. We did it when I was in school.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/16/13 - 09:20 am
RoadkiII
RoadkiII 06/16/13 - 09:26 am
I gotta wonder

Is that thumb down from somebody who is using the school system as a baby sitting service?

Cadence
Cadence 06/16/13 - 10:11 am
Roadkill

I was thinking the same thing. So many parents only care about school as a babysitter and they raise cain if there is a snow day or other holiday because "how will I get day care." Well, I'm sorry but why in the h*** did you have children if you can't afford them? And why don't you take a minute from watching tv to work with your child on his home work. Do you even know that he can't read? He also can't do math. Teachers work their butts off and their jobs have become almost impossible because of No Child Left Behind and being unable to give failing grades for failing work, and unable to have a child repeat a grade more than once.

dyomite
dyomite 06/16/13 - 10:11 am
houses that need to come down

So now they are thinking of putting something else down town that would cost 2 millions. Take that money and take down the old houses. We need to make the garden city more of a garden city. We have commissers that want to spent money that we don't have. On one block in Harrisburg there are 3 houses. Grass not cut cars sitting on the street for 2 months not moving. The Kroc center has not helped Harrisburg, but then the people in harrisburg have not helped either.

dyomite
dyomite 06/16/13 - 10:17 am
Police department

Tell me why does the sheriff needs to have a driver and we are paying for it. Is he afraid of thing? He needs to put the money he got for nothing and take driving lessons.

dyomite
dyomite 06/16/13 - 10:23 am
Why is the new 311 so bad

We have had the recycle bin out for 2 weeks now and they keep giving excuses. We had a good thing before when Miss King was doing the job now we have some one else that can't get things going right.

dyomite
dyomite 06/16/13 - 10:32 am
THE WHITE PEOPLE

The white people in Augusta need to stand together and maybe we will get something done. The black people stand together and are taking over and we need to think of augusta and make it better. We need to band together and fix augusta. It should not be black or white it should be one in harmony to get augusta good

Sweet son
Sweet son 06/16/13 - 12:57 pm
RE: Blocker-Adams and Roundtree

Both should have been in church with me this morning. The message was a Father's Day one and one of the Preacher's points was that all "great fathers" have humility. Sounds like Blocker-Adams might not have this characteristic and we know that Roundtree does not. Putting his name on "our" patrol cars doesn't seem to portray the trait of humility. "Great public servants" would not be a name I would use for either of the above if graded by the sermon that I heard this morning.

Young Fred
Young Fred 06/18/13 - 12:50 am
I have to ask - AP?

Why does the chronicle insist on reprinting "articles" from the AP without question? Are you lazy? Do you not have reporters capable of research?

Just curious.