Rants & Raves

SO, YOU GET CAUGHT speeding and want to cry “speed trap.” If you drive responsibly you will not have to make a contribution to the city of Grovetown coffers. Thanks to our Public Safety Department, Grovetown’s streets are as safe as can be expected with all of the heavy traffic at rush hours. Keep up the good work, officers.

IF YOU THINK the kids are happy, you should see the teachers.

PRESIDENT OBAMA TOLD naval academy graduates to be “honorable.” Is this the same Obama who, after three gross scandals, shows the honor to throw his underlings under the bus?

TENANTS FOR THE upcoming mixed-income housing at Walton Oaks apartments must pass a credit check. Hmmm.

YES, SUCKER, YOU voted to increase your tax burden (special purpose local option sales tax) for specific stuff; and now the politicians have changed the stuff on you. In 10 years, they’ll pull this off again because voters have forgotten that they lost their shirts this go-around.

THE RICHMOND COUNTY school board is paying $78,000 per year for a list of questions that is supposed to tell them a good prospective teacher from a bad one? Isn’t that why they were elected– to make those decisions themselves?

YOU PEOPLE ARE already putting the Braves into the World Series. As you know in the past, they are fixed winners just to get your hopes up. If you want to vote on a real ball team, choose the Texas Rangers or New York Yankees. At least they do not fold at the end of the season.

RAVES FOR THE excellent Memorial Day Concert on the D.C. Mall. It was a true memorial!

WHAT ABOUT THE one guy who is out there trying to make a living to support his kids and rides a moped to do so? Don’t open your mouth unless you know everyone who rides a moped.

COLUMBIA COUNTY’S school board is the best example of government vs. the private sector. The private sector cuts the budget the government just raises taxes. I am glad I moved to North Augusta.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/14/13 - 07:24 pm
What Do You ThinK?

What do you think about the Sam's Club parking lot and the traffic pattern at the Sam's Club gas station? Aren't they terrible?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/14/13 - 08:48 pm
Have To Agree With You, LL.

It is nothing but a Cluster ...........!

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/15/13 - 12:24 am
If I see a car driving in

If I see a car driving in circles in the Sam's parking lot trying to find a way out, I'll know it's Little Lamb.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/15/13 - 01:31 am
Sunflower Sutra

“AS USUAL, THE people who pretend to love nature so much they’d stop humans from improving themselves are now protecting airplanes from birds by “crushing” vegetation. Whose side are they on? It’s really become laughable.”

Sometimes it’s interesting to try to figure out comments. The ranter is concerned about crushing vegetation to protect airplanes when the goal is actually protecting the PEOPLE inside the airplanes. I guess he is saying the Greenies stop human progress, but approve getting rid of the vegetation instead of killing the birds? Or maybe he's just laughing at the birds or vegetation dilemma?

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/15/13 - 07:32 am
Oh Boy

For some reason yesterday when a certain article & pic came on board ...I felt a hush come over the crowd......silence......no jumping up & down for a firing...hmmmmmmm

He did the right thing....& now folks, we can go on with our usual gripes & complaints & picking on gov messups...

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/15/13 - 07:34 am
Airport birds

I have also heard they keep dogs at some airports just to run the dang birds away...we do remember the Hudson Landing....which was a miracle that no one died in that..great pilot.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/15/13 - 07:38 am
Col cty school tax heh...ck this

Los Angeles Board of Supervisors report that the children of illegal immigrants in the County of LOS ANGELES alone, is costing $54 million a MONTH in 2013. $35 million just for Food Stamps.

This year Los Angeles will spend $550 million for Public Safety and $500 MILLION for HEALTHCARE for illegal immigrants. These costs do not include the hundreds of millions of dollars spent annually to EDUCATE them.

IMAGINE the tax you would pay to sustain this....we are the land of plenty but it won't be long that will not be true...

Maybe not in lifetime but in 35 years or less..

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/15/13 - 07:47 am
I can totally understand THAT!

IF YOU THINK the kids are happy, you should see the teachers.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/15/13 - 08:50 am
2 Tornadoes

The news says we actually had 2 tornadoes to hit the metro area.....now they tell us.....heh.....they were both EF-1....Cherokee--Cobb & Fulton counties.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 06/15/13 - 08:55 am
Speed Traps

I live on Berkmans Rd. Anyone who lives in the area or travels Berkmans on a regular basis knows the speed limit is 35 and there is a good chance a deputy will be sitting at the bottom of the hill between Washington Rd and Raes Creek. If you get caught in that "speed trap", it's your own dang fault. Read the road signs. If you can't read the signs then maybe you should turn in your drivers license.

I know somebody will bring up the point that it's a hill. Well, cars happen to be equipped with these thing called brakes. If you drive an automatic it's the pedal on the left, if you drive a standard it's the middle pedal. Try it, it works.

allhans
allhans 06/15/13 - 09:02 am
I agree, Roadkill. It is not

I agree, Roadkill. It is not unusual to top the hill and "Oh, MY!", a motorcycle cop parked on Cherry, maybe. Drive the speed limit and you are fine.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/15/13 - 09:04 am
To zeena & sweetson

Just want yall to now I went to bed with a smile on my face last night...thanks to yall......I'm happy that some "appreciate" the hard work we put in on here ........now I have some workers coming if they come on time.....catch up later..
Ya made me happy-happy-happy as the Duckman says..♥

allhans
allhans 06/15/13 - 09:06 am
I wonder if the person

I wonder if the person complaining about Braves fans are would say the same if it was the NBA.

allhans
allhans 06/15/13 - 09:20 am
Rant#4..Don't all tenants

Rant#4..Don't all tenants have to go through a credit check? If not, that might explain why so many apartment complexes and section 8's are in such a mess.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/15/13 - 09:23 am
SeenIt said, "Just want yall

SeenIt said, "Just want yall to now I went to bed with a smile on my face last night..."

TMI. Heh.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/15/13 - 09:43 am
River

I only put words like that on here because I know how much you enjoy them...lol

Workers are here....gotta go..

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/15/13 - 09:52 am
SeenIt, you've got workers at

SeenIt, you've got workers at your house bout every day. You're doing your part to keep the economy moving.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 06/15/13 - 10:09 am
Seenit

Send me some workers. Then the house will get cleaned, supper fixed, and I can play here all day.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/15/13 - 10:38 am
RK, isn't there a law in GA

RK, isn't there a law in GA that says speeding tickets can't be given if a hill is a certain grade unless the driver is breaking the limit by a lot?

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 06/15/13 - 10:44 am
RM

Not that I know of, but I'm neither a lawyer or a cop.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/15/13 - 11:12 am
I could be wrong, but I think

I could be wrong, but I think there is a law concerning steep hills and speeding tickets. Of course most hills don't meet the criteria.

Sweet son
Sweet son 06/15/13 - 11:57 am
Hills and speeding tickets.

I stopped to watch my tax dollars at work on Walton Way Ext. the other day. The motorcycle officer was in the parking lot near the pain Doctor at Walton Way Ext. and Pleasant Home Rd. He took out a device which was a laser speed detector and was watching traffic coming from town towards Pleasant Home Rd. He pointed out a vehicle that was crossing I20 and said before running the laser that the vehicle was probably going 51. (35 mph zone) He picked up the radar and the reading was 54. Good guess! He was off and I was impressed. I don't know about the hill rule but she was not even half way down the hill when he clocked her.

Just an observation and really interesting to watch.

dichotomy
32080
dichotomy 06/15/13 - 01:39 pm
"The private sector cuts the

"The private sector cuts the budget the government just raises taxes"

Politicians are lazy, useless, and, in many cases, corrupt. They automatically assume that anything that was in past budgets must still be needed so anything new, or any inflation, automatically needs a tax increase. They are too lazy, too inept, or too crooked to actually dig into a budget and cut the obsolete, the fraud, the waste, and the corruption. They will not gore each other's sacred cows even when they see ridiculous, outrageous spending because they do not want someone else goring their favorite program, contract, or kickback.

School boards are the worst because they are usually made up of a bunch of "anything for the children" crusaders and guided by self-serving educators. Neither have any concern for protecting the taxpayers.

Municipal governments should be a little better because the City Administrator should be digging through the budget and cutting the obsolete crap, exorbitant contracts, and unneeded sacred cows. Unfortunately our city administrator is more concerned with not making any enemies on the commission than with doing his job of providing basic services for reasonable costs, cutting spending, and killing pie in the sky useless programs. Like "Veranda" for instance.

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/15/13 - 03:47 pm
RAVES FOR 911 Call handling & RCSO Deputy Moffett

Last night we were visited by an attempted Car Burglar visiting a number of yards along our street.

He did not get anything at my location, because the motion sensing flood Lights scared him off. My Driveway alarm announced his arrival, but by the time I came out in the yard he was rounding the corner down the street. ( Note to self: move driveway alarms back another 20 feet and keep R-870T loaded)

My 911 Call was handled with what I would consider prompt and direct to the point questions.
* Nature of the Call
* Location of the Problem
* Who was calling
* What # was I calling from.
* Basic description of the suspect.
* and asked if i was in any danger?

My response likely prompted her to asked me to politely go back inside with my shotgun and wait for the officer to arrive and leave the shotgun inside when he did arrived.

The whole call was all accomplished in less that 45 seconds.

About 4-5 minutes later RCSO Deputy Allen Moffett arrived. He collected some additional info I gleaned off the video DVR, gave me his card with a direct number and took off down the street to where the attempted car burglar was seen heading.

My personal thanks to whomever corrected the bad 911 process that was previously in use. The new process worked well, as it should have last night.

RCSO Management Staff
Thanks for the re-deployment of certain cars to the South Side areas. The previous 14-20 min response times were dangerous. The response times are now half or 1/3 of what they use to be.

It also helps having a RCSO Deputy like Allen Moffett that lives out here, knows out here, and patrols out here.

If this is what Sheriff Roundtree meant by Community Policing I support it.

Officers tell of trauma from taking life

Although every experience is different, officers who take a life often experience severe bouts of depression, alcoholism, marital problems, sleepless nights and feelings of being alone in the ...