Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

THANKS TO THE Richmond County Neighbors section of The Chronicle for showcasing such a talented young lady. All I can say is WOW for Sophia Bell and her fantastic reading skills. I know she is young but maybe she could help other children who are struggling with reading?

TO THE PERSON RANTING about a barking dog, I have two service dogs and one companion. Our neighbor children have decided to make a sport of coming to the fence and agitating the dogs, their response is to bark. One service dog only barks if she picks up the scent of marijuana. Don’t want her to bark? Don’t use drugs upwind of her.

THE SCAMMERS AND schemers are at it again this time to the tune of $1.6 million. Six people were indicted recently in a scheme to bilk money from vulnerable people who thought they were helping disabled people by contributing to an organization entitled “Mouth and Foot Painting Artists.” Let’s pay more attention as to who is vying for our money.

CONGRATULATIONS to Jesika McNeal and Jamilla Shabazz who graduated recently. The odds were stacked against them for most of their lives but with sheer determination they got there. They now know that by achieving this major milestone they can go on to bigger and better things. Way to go!

KUDOS TO Augusta Fire Chief Chris James for instituting a fitness program for his firefighters. Yes, the yearly physical will keep the spotlight on how well individuals are doing. I know that Chris James has believed in physical fitness for years based on his regular workouts at a local gym.

I AM GLAD TO SEE Helen Blocker-Adams is running for mayor. I think that she has what it takes to make a difference in Augusta. All contenders for the mayoral race should watch out since Helen is in the race to win. Go for it, Helen!

READ THE LETTER THE city sent out about the new garbage schedules. How insulting. And the wording tries to make it seem like the reduction of service (no tire pick up, once a week trash pick up) is somehow a benefit for us. Whoever approved it should be fired. Don’t get me started on the threatening page about cleaning your property; as if the city does a good job cleaning their property.

tanbaby
tanbaby 06/14/13 - 03:10 am
i'm wondering if Ms

i'm wondering if Ms Blocker-Adams wins, will she want all the signage around augusta changed to include her name, like McIntyre did and how Roundtree wants to do to the patrol cars??? (which i have all ideas will happen--even though the taxpayers will pay to have it done and then undone)

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/14/13 - 05:30 am
What no ranters or ravers and

What no ranters or ravers and its 6:30AM already.

Are people getting worried about the PC Thought Police?

Too late, they already have years of data on you.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/14/13 - 06:06 am
Good Morning "AC Shootout & Get Together" America.

So far 8 members and 3 spouses have announced their plans for the 29th. This is the time to meet everybody in person and not on a keyboard. You can remain anonymous if you prefer.
Would like to know how many by the 21st to make arrangement for how much Barbeque and Hash w/Potato salad to have.
Will email everybody on the 22nd with the location and all the details.

rebellious
rebellious 06/14/13 - 06:20 am
CG

I got email from Dichotomy, and will forward to Little Lamb. Put me in for at least one.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/14/13 - 06:37 am
Point Of Interest.

Compare this with todays King SMNCICBHO(M), the Hammer & Sickle Man.

Harry Truman after the presidency--interesting !!!

Harry Truman, from Missouri , was a different kind of President. He probably made as many important decisions regarding our nation's history as any of the other 42 Presidents. However, a measure of his greatness may rest on what he did after he left the White House.

Historians have written the only asset he had when he died was the house he lived in, which was in Independence Missouri . On top of that, his wife inherited the house from her Mother.

When he retired from office in 1952, his income was a U.S. Army pension reported to have been $13,507.72 a year. Congress, noting that he was paying for his stamps and personally licking them, granted him an 'allowance' and, later, a retroactive pension of $25,000 per year.

After President Eisenhower was inaugurated, Harry and Bess drove home to Missouri by themselves. There were no Secret Service following them.

When offered corporate positions at large salaries, he declined, stating, 'You don't want me. You want the office of the President, and that doesn't belong to me. It belongs to the American people and it's not for sale.'

Even later, on May 6, 1971, when Congress was preparing to award him the Medal of Honor on his 87th birthday, he refused to accept it, writing, 'I don't consider that I have done anything which should be the reason for any award, Congressional or otherwise.'

He never owned his own home and as president he paid for all of his own travel expenses and food.

Modern politicians have found a new level of success in cashing in on the Presidency, resulting in untold wealth. Today, many in Congress also have found a way to become quite wealthy while enjoying the fruits of their offices. Political offices are now for sale.

Good old Harry Truman was correct when he observed, 'My choices early in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/14/13 - 07:07 am
Good morning America

We hang petty thieves and appoint the great thieves to public office.
~Aesop, Greek slave & fable author

Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber.
~Plato, ancient Greek Philosopher

Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river.
~Nikita Khrushchev, Russian Soviet politician

When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President; I'm beginning to believe it.
~Quoted in 'Clarence Darrow for the Defense' by Irving Stone.

Politicians are people who, when they see light at the end of the tunnel, go out and buy some more tunnel.
~John Quinton, American actor/writer

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other.
~Oscar Ameringer, "the Mark Twain of American Socialism."

I offered my opponents a deal: "if they stop telling lies about me, I will stop telling the truth about them".
~Adlai Stevenson, campaign speech, 1952..

A politician is a fellow who will lay down your life for his country.
~Texas Guinan. 19th century American businessman

I have come to the conclusion that politics is too serious a matter to be left to the politicians.
~Charles de Gaulle, French general & politician

Instead of giving a politician the keys to the city, it might be better to change the locks.
~Doug Larson (English middle-distance runner who won gold medals at the 1924
Olympic Games in Paris, 1902-1981)

I am reminded of a joke: What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution. What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!

(I don't know who said this :):)

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/14/13 - 07:15 am
America America where art thou....

Today on national news they ran the story of the little boy singing....of course they made a big to do over remarks.....

I'm wondering....can I post & say what I feel or should I run it through the tasteful/non tasteful committee....

Crazy that stupid remark can gander THAT kind of news BUT the deaths of many blacks in their own neighborhood doesn't.....DUH

Some new posters come on & call others names that is just as bad as what the fireman said...what gives...at least AC removed them last night.....should THAT poster be fired from his job......GEEZ

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/14/13 - 07:18 am
My days might be numbered here

Because I'm speaking my mind---saying my piece....last time I checked I still have that freedom.......yes..we do have a guide to post by & I will try.......but folks ...shutting me up will be hard to do..

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/14/13 - 07:25 am
Wow...spread the wealth Senator

The US has entered into a contract with a real estate firm to sell 56 buildings that currently house U.S. Post Offices. The government has decided it no longer needs these buildings, many of which are located on prime land in towns and cities across the country.

The sale of these properties will fetch billions of dollars and a handsome 6% commission to the company handling the sales. That company belongs to a man named Richard Blum. Who is Richard Blum you ask?

Why the husband of Senator Dianne Feinstein, that's who. What a bunch of crooks we have running this country!

Senator Feinstein and her husband, Richard Blum, stand to make a fortune. His firm, C.R. I., is the sole real estate company offering these properties for sale. Of course, C.R.I. will be making a 6% commission on the sale of each and every one of these postal properties.

How does a powerful U.S. Senator from San Francisco manage to get away with such a sweet deal?

A powerful United States Senator's husband is standing by, all ready to make millions from a U.S. taxpayer funded enterprise.

No one in the mainstream media is even raising an eyebrow over his 6% commission on the sale of hundreds of millions of dollar's worth of quasi-public assets.

Pass this info on before it's pulled from the internet.

True on Snopes:

allhans
allhans 06/14/13 - 08:04 am
B4 8:15...re the little boy

B4 8:15...re the little boy singing....ABC says hateful remarks were made because of his color. I say the remarks might be dislike of immigration. It was uncalled for whatever the reason, but why would a major network bring the race card into the matter.

dichotomy
dichotomy 06/14/13 - 08:06 am
"Senator Feinstein and her

"Senator Feinstein and her husband, Richard Blum, stand to make a fortune."

At the federal level, we are all kind of like residents of Southeast Richmond County. We are only here to be donors for the ruling class to feed on.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/14/13 - 08:10 am
Dislike of immigration

I agee allhans...that was probably the reason...

On our minds lately....

dwb619
dwb619 06/14/13 - 08:53 am
politician

James Carville in speech at LSU
poli---meaning many
tics---blood sucking animals
That was how he tied it to the Latin origins.

Sweet son
Sweet son 06/14/13 - 10:26 am
Seenit, you will always be welcome to speak your mind here.

You know just what to say and how to say it so you don't have to worry about others flagging your comments. You offer insight into a lot of topics and also offer humor which we all enjoy. You, Cgee, Riverman, Reb and many others who are regulars make this a great forum. Sometimes we disagree and maybe even get a little irritated with each other but when the dust settles we remain friends.

Keep on commenting 'cause we need you!

Sweet son

Sweet son
Sweet son 06/14/13 - 12:01 pm
zeenab4u
zeenab4u 06/14/13 - 12:45 pm
seenit

I agree with sweet son. You have to keep posting. Even though I don't post very much, I do read all the stories and / or comments on my lunch break at work. It's a good break in my day. I don't really know any of you but feel like I do. Sometimes I want to post for someone to please give Dixie man some points or to say ya'll stop picking on county man. Jake has good stories and I know that River man lives here in Columbia county with me. Everybody, Little Lamb and Lilly and Rebellious and David Parker and Cgee and so on, give me something to look forward to in the morning hours of my work day. My lunch hour would be very boring if you all weren't there.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 06/14/13 - 12:50 pm
Get together...

I would like to come....when and where?

happychimer
19396
happychimer 06/14/13 - 02:06 pm
seenit and I don't always

seenit and I don't always agree, but I enjoy her comments a lot. The boy who sang the national anthem is an example. She has the right to speak her mind, and so do I. Each of us is different in our own way, and boy am I glad we are not all alike!

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/14/13 - 02:15 pm
Zeenab4u, that was a nice

Zeenab4u, that was a nice comment for all of the regular posters. Thanks.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/14/13 - 02:18 pm
About that ranter who has a

About that ranter who has a dog that barks when downwind of marijuana. Heh, heh, heh. Ever heard talking dogs? Mooooorrrrrreeee. My dog probably barks when downwind of Bud Light.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/14/13 - 02:21 pm
Who is SeenitB4?

Who is SeenitB4?

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/14/13 - 02:40 pm
sweet talk like that ...wow

THat really makes my day...zeenab4u that is special & I feel the same as you...love my morning coffee with the comics on here....soo entertaining...just like happy says ...we don't always agree but we still like & respect each other....welll we try to behave....:)

OOh that is good...who is seenitB4?

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/14/13 - 02:45 pm
Mr sean man

I hope you realize our value on here....yall might think the reporters do all the work BUT hey...we do our part....btw Sean...that pic of you & Mrs on fb was really the best I have ever seen of you.....& I'm not kissing up either (like some will say)...you looked just a tad tipsy with a great smile.....did you have "something" in that coffee?

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/14/13 - 03:03 pm
Name on car

If he (Roundtree) can clean up Richmond county ...I say put that name 4 feet big from front to back...put sparkles on it too..& make it flash at night....he has a tough job....I don't envy him of that job.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/14/13 - 03:16 pm
GnipGnop

You are already on the list. I don't have your email address and can't go through AC email because you don't have a contact tab. MY email is cobaltgeorge@comcast.net. Gun range opens at 10 am and mind meeting at around noon.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/14/13 - 03:19 pm
SeenIt, all jokes aside, ya

SeenIt, all jokes aside, ya know I think you're the best.

Roundtree is the best Sheriff we've seen in a while. I'd not only put his name on the cars, I'd put the RCSO contact spokespersons names on there too...just to tick off you know who.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/14/13 - 03:21 pm
zeenab4u

I've always been known for a laugh and TDS's. Thanks.

By the way, you sure you aren't going to be sued for User Name infringement rights?

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/14/13 - 03:31 pm
Cgee..I did ask her about the name

and this is her reply....

yes seenit

Our names are are almost alike. I got mine in the 90's. Some of my friends call me zeena and say I am the original one (warrior princess - fighter for the greater good) although I am older now and don't have much fight left in me. I do enjoy your posts so we may be kin after all.

Georgia Regents' hospital plan chosen