Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

PRESIDENT OBAMA wants to close Guan-tanamo Bay and send its occupants back to their jihadist terrorist countries. That does not sound like a very bright idea considering that they will just continue with terrorist activities and plot against us once they get back home. Dumb ideas are not going to keep us safe.

RANT TO THE Rich­mond County Board of Education. How can it spend $70,000 on a program to better select new teachers while laying off teachers who are already employed because of poor decisions on money? The school board employees who made the decision should be the ones unemployed.

THE COLLAPSE of the Interstate 5 bridge over the Skagit River north of Seattle brings home again the sad state of many bridges across this country. We know which bridges are vulnerable but we are doing nothing to solve the problem. Isn’t it time that business, industry and government working together came up with a plan to address the issue?

I APPRECIATE that we have a number of graduates in the Augusta area, but I hope they read better than their friends and family. Downtown post office signs “Parking for Postal Patrons Only,” and postal customers could not even park to go into post office because of no parking spaces. Since this is federal property, let us see if the federal marshals can stop it. Let us get the parking boots out and tow if you cannot read.

JERRY LYDA IS a person to be admired for the work he is doing to train dogs to help the growing number of severely disabled veterans in the Augusta area. In addition to providing a dog to help the veterans overcome their fears or anxieties, there is also a saving of dogs marked for death at shelters in Richmond, Columbia and Aiken counties. The gift you have in transforming dogs is saving so many lives. Thank you for the work you are doing.

COLUMBIA COUNTY raising taxes? Increased need for schools and services is the result of population growth; that is, tax base growth. This government is not living within its means, and all incumbents need to be voted out in the next election.

JRC2024
JRC2024 06/11/13 - 09:11 pm
Why not give them some shock

Why not give them some shock treatments to scramble the bran and then send them back. Their would not be any use for them then.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/12/13 - 05:35 am
Argie, I believe JRC2024

Argie, I believe JRC2024 meant to type "scramble the brain" and it should read "there would not"......most people can read a post containing a misspelled word or improper grammar and still understand what that person is trying to say. I know the mistakes irritates some and I may be wrong but believe the comment was in reference to the first rant/rave listed.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/12/13 - 06:55 am
Funny

I understood what he was saying...:):)

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/12/13 - 07:01 am
Easy come easy go.....

RANT TO THE Rich­mond County Board of Education. How can it spend $70,000

Told yall to change your voting sysytem...it ain't working....give THEM a wake up call.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/12/13 - 07:04 am
With this rant

You ain't seen nothing yet......the influx will be coming your way.....the decisions made by Richmond county giverment will send them YOUR way.

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/12/13 - 07:05 am
While Columbia Co. is raising

While Columbia Co. is raising Taxes to keep up with Growth and the influx of ARC wage earners.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/12/13 - 07:18 am
Good Morning "ACer's" And America.

Got 20 Acres of Lawn to mow, so I will be back later to pick up my points.

I will leave you all some advise, "A Possible Good Dream Can Turn Into a Nightmare"

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/12/13 - 07:36 am
Great news

I read this week that a group of religious teens are working/building & repairing homes in the Rhodes Dr area.....30906 area btw....some businesses are donating supplies & this is done for free to the homeowners.....BEST NEWS ALL WEEK...Thank you all....I don't know who got this ball rolling but we need to know so we can THANK him/her....
The southside can come back with actions like this..

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/12/13 - 07:37 am
Don't have lawns to mow

BUT I have rooms to clean....& girlie stuff to do....lots of it...seeya later.

BamaMan
BamaMan 06/12/13 - 08:08 am
Columbia County taxes

Please explain this to me. Raise taxes because of influx of residents. If you have an influx of residents, that's more paying taxes. So WHY raise taxes? You have more paying them!

justthefacts
justthefacts 06/12/13 - 08:15 am
BamaMan

It is pure gov't logic. Hush up and pay.

dichotomy
dichotomy 06/12/13 - 10:24 am
"ARC is likely looking at the

"ARC is likely looking at the need to increase Taxes because so many Wage earners and working property owners have left."

I'm hoping the "majority" population are starting to figure out that THEY will be the ones paying any new or increased taxes and fees and higher salaries for local political royalty and government and school system employees. News flash....the white folks with money have left except for West Augusta and you can't get enough out of them to cover this crazy spending spree the commissioners, Fred, and the RCBOE have been on for years.

allhans
allhans 06/12/13 - 12:10 pm
dichotomy. You are right

dichotomy. You are right about West Augusta..
The small pocket of tax payers will get smaller and smaller.
And many, just as my family, have their business in Columbia County.

vermint
vermint 06/12/13 - 12:17 pm
Can't Wait

Hubby & I are SC residents who own a business downtown...we can hardly wait until we can retire! There is so much potential for the downtown area that will never be realized. The commissioners just keep doing the same old thing, and keep getting re-elected! Sadly, we have NO say in how the local goverment works since we can't vote here. I have long said that business owners should be able to vote in LOCAL elections that affect them. We pay taxes, etc., but have NO voice!

Darby
Darby 06/12/13 - 03:10 pm
No, OzBama doesn't really care about Gitmo,

he just wants his liberal "creds" for talking about it. With progressives, it's never what you do, it's what you feel about things and what good intentions you have.

countyman
countyman 06/12/13 - 03:52 pm
CSRA

Nonoc.. Why did Costco(only two located in GA outside of metro Atlanta/Chattanooga suburbs), H&M coming soon(zero locations outside of metro Atlanta, and in SC), etc come to Richmond County?

Why is the majority of new sit down restaurants(Ghengis Grill, Cookout, Five Guys, Texas Roadhouse, etc) coming to Richmond County and not the surrounding counties?

Bamaman... I bet nobody responds to your comments, because it makes PERFECT sense.

Dichotomy.. There's white people with money in Summerville, Forest Hills, CBD, Hephzibah city limits, Southwest Augusta, and South Augusta. The white population of Richmond County in the latest census estimate is growing almost twice as fast compared to Columbia County.

countyman
countyman 06/12/13 - 05:55 pm
Facts

''New construction homes continue to dominate the local residential real estate market. Beginning to see an increase, however, are re-sale homes that are appealing to home buyers who would rather live closer to Augusta and not in Grovetown, Jones said. The main price point for resale homes has generally been between $350,000 and $450,000, he said.''

Grovetown recently benefited the media's Columbia County hype machine, but that's pretty much over with. All suburban areas have their time, and then people(young generation especially) move back into the urban core... Once the minority populations reaches and certain percentage in the suburban counties. Some of those people will move further out into the county, and other's into McCormick/Lincoln/Mcduffie..

You can' tell me the media doesn't have a major influence on the way people think. If you only focus on crime, government squabbles, etc in Richmond County. Then turn around and only print the articles related to the new businesses or something positive for Columbia County.. You'll get the comments that you see in the Rants and Raves..

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/12/13 - 04:09 pm
You know why

You'll get the comments that you see in the Rants and Raves..

When you have incidents such as the Riverwalk beating----shooting into crowd..& etc...you get the comments.......sure crime is everywhere...I really don't think AC is picking on any one section of town...heck..they work downtown & want it to be safe..imho

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/12/13 - 04:13 pm
" The white population of

" The white population of Richmond County in the latest census estimate is growing almost twice as fast compared to Columbia County."

I know what you are trying to say. The white population as a percentage of the growth in Richmond County grew faster than the percentage of the white growth in Columbia County. Of course, Columbia County begins with an 85% white population so any comparison is, frankly, meaningless.

Like I keep telling you it's not the fact Columbia County is white and Richmond majority black that makes Columbia have a much wealthier population with good schools and low crime. It's the hard working folks, black and white, who demand their kids do well in school and behave that makes the county so attractive and gives it one of the fastest growing populations in the NATION.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/12/13 - 04:26 pm
Arena sized problems have to

Arena sized problems have to get the attention of the media.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/12/13 - 04:30 pm
Quotas don't mean a thing..

Everything changes....just a matter of time.....just like the Atlanta area...this was considered outskirts but not so much now.....people move out away from crowds.....just want some space....right now I'm thinking shrimp & grits & coffee with whip cream......maybe something extra in the coffee.....oooohh boy.....I wish I could post some stuff that I put in other places....yall would laugh all nght but no can do...I like to come here & I know someone (won't mention any names ) would step on me like I'm a bug..........funny ..I can be badd sometimes..

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/12/13 - 04:39 pm
Goodnight all

Goodnight CIA--FBI--all social media outlets keeping up with everything we post....:)

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 06/12/13 - 04:55 pm
Costco came because of the sweet tax deal they got

They also located on the state line because they knew they would get the money from the NA area that would go to Sam's. I could have had a baby since you brought up the Five Guys. I doubt very seriously the white population is growing and now with the school system laying off 135 people even more will flee the horrific ARC school system and yes I know the magnet school have 100% grad rate...the rest of the county has less than 60%...that means of the 6000 regular high school students only 3500 will graduate...gee i can see why there would be a influx of people wanting to move here....

countyman
countyman 06/12/13 - 06:22 pm
I love how Riverman keeps

I love how Riverman keeps saying Columbia County is one of the fastest growing counties in Georgia, but MULTIPLE counties in the state of Georgia are growing faster..

GnipGnop... Just because the same few people give you thumbs up doesn't mean your false opinions become fact.. How did you figure the rest of the county has less than 60% grad rate except for the magnet schools? The census also clearly provides the growth of each race from 2010.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 06/12/13 - 07:23 pm
Uh because it was in the paper a few days ago...

that would make it fact so spin that....1% population change from 2010 to 2012....2000 people...wow hold the phone chuck it's a influx!!!!

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/12/13 - 07:29 pm
I said Columbia County is one

I said Columbia County is one of the fastest growing counties in the nation...not state. I've posted all that before with links. Yep, there are other counties in Georgia even faster growing, but Richmond County ain't one of them. I've posted all this before, but of counties over 100,000 Columbia County is ranked number 20 something in population growth of counties in the entire nation. Hey, it's all good. It's the CSRA right? One county's good fortune is good for the entire area.

GnipGnop