Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

NOW THAT Augusta-Richmond County has forced the garbage pickup on residents in outlying areas, what happens to all the little guys that have been taking care of this for many residents for decades? They get thrown to the wolves, or into the unemployment line?

RANT TO GEORGIA DOT. The Wrightsboro Road project is the first time I have ever seen a DOT project that consists of topsoil and sand as base material. It has always been clay and crush-and-run. This road will not last five years if they are using sand/clay as base material.

RAVES TO MR. Michaels at the Fort Gordon Commissary. He is a wonderful cashier. He goes the extra mile for his customers. One day my arm was hurting and he came around to put my groceries from the cart onto the counter.

I WISH IHOP WOULD buy the property they are clearing at Crawford Avenue and Walton Way so we will have an IHOP in the neighborhood. Or Dairy Queen, Krispy Kreme or Dunkin’ Donuts.

CONTRARY TO WHAT the North Augusta city administration implies, there are many other North Augustans than those who live on the river who oppose taxpayer money being used to develop Project Jackson, meaning the stadium. Why not have a referendum and find out?

THERE ARE LAWS to protect people. When I see someone smoking within 25 feet of a business door that I have to go into to do business, that makes me mad. When I see people throw cigarette butts out of the windowm that makes me mad. When I see a bicyclist breezes through a stoplightm that makes me mad. Government is getting too big, but if we abide by the laws we have now, it would be a better place.

I DON’T THINK IT is fair to enforce seat-belt laws on grown men and women.

A BIG RAVE TO the gentleman at Kroger in North Augusta who saw my wallet in my buggy and returned it to the store. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

SOME PEOPLE SAY take off the rose-colored glasses when dealing with the founding of America; I say take off the dark shades. America has afforded more opportunity to equality than any country in history. So I’ll keep my rose shaded glasses on and you keep walking around in the dark.

Jake
Jake 06/10/13 - 11:28 pm
#3 Commissary

My mom would take us kids to the Ft Gordon commissary in the early 60's. At first we could go in but then around 1962 they said no kids under 12 could go in. My younger brothers and I would sit in the parking lot in the '52 Pontiac and wait for her to come out. It was usually hot in that car.
One day I dug around the back seat and found a dime. I went to the entrance of the commissary and saw a Coke machine that dispensed not only your soda but also ice as well in a small wax cup. I must have broken the machine when I put my dime in because after I took my drink out from under the plastic lift-up lid, it dispensed another, and then another until I had about 8 sodas lined up on the railing.
I had hit the jackpot of sodas. Of course I consumed most of them but I did let my 2 little brothers share one.

countyman
19174
countyman 06/11/13 - 01:02 am
Harrisburg = up & coming

#4... There's multiple Dairy Queen, IHOP, Krispy Kreme, and Dunkin Donuts locations in the metro/CSRA..

The construction along Walton Way is the new Cook Out restaurant. This will become a popular hangout spot for the faculty/students in the general vicinity(Medical District/Paine College).

The new restaurant is the end result of being progressive. The private sector raised over $20 million in order for the Kroc Center to become reality. Many people said the Harrisburg location wouldn't be able to attract middle class/upper middle class residents. Who actually thought a brand new restaurants would open up in the neighborhood? The Mill campuses, renovated Martha Lester, redeveloped Broad street terminal, demolished/redeveloped Kroger shopping center, MCG Foundation existing properties, and the commercial development near Kroger would bring even more businesses to Harrisburg and Richmond County.

Richmond County is definitely growing much faster this decade, because places like Harrisburg and South Augusta are getting the national chains. West Augusta is going to attract the national restaurants(Genghis Grill in the Augusta Exchange, Texas Roadhouse on Washington rd, etc) all the time.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 06/11/13 - 01:13 am
Commissary

Oh yes Jake - that's going back a long way and you had to drive a long way to get to the commissary, was more of a warehouse lay out the best I remember and there were some railroad tracks. Kids back then were much better behaved than what they are today. No gripes if they could not go into a place. It was just that way and they obeyed. Not these days and times. Sorry, but so true. Oh yes, the 'good old days'!

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/11/13 - 04:25 am
Seat Belts Save Lives and

Seat Belts Save Lives and make Lawyers richer.

A disabled person is worth more to a Lawyer, than dead one.

Doubt the remark?
look up the original federal law and the lawyers groups that lobbied hard for the law to be passed.

BTW: It is called a Nanny State law.
Where the Government steps in to tells us what we should be doing.

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/11/13 - 04:28 am
County man

Question?
Any thing on Tap in 2013 for the South East side of Richmond co.?

I ask because the Augusta Mall area is more South West Side, than South Side of Augusta.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/11/13 - 07:35 am
Why can't you sue

Some sue if they fall in a pithole....some sue if they get hit crossing a street....on & on & on...
The 2 victims on Riverwalk were NOT told of dangers on that walk...just the beauty & wonderful view & the greatness of outdoors & blah blah blah......FALSE advertising in my book & put me on a jury & his medical BILLS WOULD GET PAID BY THE DANG CITY...

I say a good lawyer needs to step up & give his services to this man...still in the hospital btw.....if your taxes can pay for surgery for overweight ....you dang sure should pay for this man.

Funny how some think getting hit crossing the street would pay off (something you can avoid btw) BUT something you can't help...like getting your head bashed in by a jerk...naahhhhh...

Get a jury trial...& see.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/11/13 - 07:46 am
Also remember this

Remember the lady who was assaulted at MCG in the restroom...(a lady I know)..is the logic the same for her??

At no fault of her own this lady also was bashed & harmed......(just like Riverwalk victims)

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/11/13 - 07:58 am
Shootout & AC Meeting Of The Minds 2.

How does 29 June sound. The Cobalt Range will open at 10 and the gathering of the minds will be around Noon for those that don't like guns.

Feedback Please..... cobaltgeorge@comcast.net.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/11/13 - 08:17 am
Just thought of something

Reading this paper makes my blood pressure go up....dang it!

Talk at ya later...appts...appts..

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/11/13 - 09:40 am
SeenIt, someone who is hit

SeenIt, someone who is hit crossing the street doesn't sue the city. He sues who hit him assuming it was a legal crossing. That recent case of the woman damaging her car in the pot hole and being paid by the city was unusual and why many of us commented. But there's no way the city can be sued for the Riverwalk attack. If someone gets mugged on Broad St do you think they can sue the city? Why is the Riverwalk any different?

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/11/13 - 09:43 am
About the elderly lady who

About the elderly lady who was raped at MCG, not much you can do about that either. That's unpredictable criminal activity. What about the relative who killed the other one visiting at University Hosp? The government entities are not responsible for such things.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/11/13 - 10:40 am
Seatbelts

I don't line nanny laws protecting me from myself, but there is a valid reason to require seatbelt use.

If you are not strapped in under the steering wheel, there is no possible way to regain control of the vehicle in a spin, etc. ; which could result in you hitting someone else.

daphne3520
daphne3520 06/11/13 - 10:50 am
Seat belts?

As a "Yankee," I must ask where is the logic in SC with a "click it or ticket" campaign when school buses are NOT required to have seat belts for the students in that particular State?

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 06/11/13 - 10:59 am
isanotherday, that is

isanotherday, that is actually the first time I have ever heard anyone give a valid reason why seat belt use should be required. Kudos.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/11/13 - 01:09 pm
I respectfully disagree

Yes, you can sue a city for negligence and personal injury. However, a personal injury claim filed against a state or a city has its own distinct features in contrast to suing a private party or any other juridical entity like a corporation, partnership or firm. There are quite a number of limitations indicated in the law that makes the process of suing a city a little more complex than suing another individual or organization.

“Sovereign immunity” protects several government employees and agencies against lawsuits, including personal injury cases. It generally means that no one is authorized or has the juridical personality to sue the kind, in layman’s terms, the state or city. Having been adapted in the older times and have endured the modern times, it is now regarded as the bar in suing the government or the state.

Fortunately for many, some governments have waived such privileges and waived their immunity against personal injury lawsuits. In this kind of waiver of immunity, government personnel or people working for/on behalf of the state, those clearly acting in representation of acts ordered by the state and those government officials clothed with the authority of the office they are holding, among others, can be sued if they have acted negligently or intentionally and that behavior has resulted in damage/injury to another person. In this way, you can sue a government official who acted wrongfully.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/11/13 - 01:12 pm
Walk was not in safe condition

Lights out---not maintained & etc.....

anyway a jury would favor the victim IMHO.....& btw...don't call her elderly ...she will be mad as a hornet about that!!

corgimom
corgimom 06/11/13 - 01:15 pm
Seat belts save lives and

Seat belts save lives and reduce injuries. Not 100% of the time, but in the overwhelming majority of the time.

The statistics don't lie. I can remember back in the day when it was common for people to be thrown through a windshield or ejected from a car. Lots of people were critically injured or killed back then in car accidents.

Many people suffered terrible disfiguring or crippling injuries, it's much better now. Now that's rare and unusual, before, it was the norm.

corgimom
corgimom 06/11/13 - 01:17 pm
I can remember the day when

I can remember the day when there were national restaurants along Walton Way, Western Sizzlin', and that cafeteria, was it S & S? Countyman thinks this is a new thing, no it's not. I guess back then Augusta was "progressive", too.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 06/11/13 - 01:30 pm
I agree 100%, corgi. Seat

I agree 100%, corgi. Seat belts save lives, but should they be required? Absolutely NOT. Wearing a helmet in a car would reduce injury as well, but do we require it? A 5 point harness in a car would reduce injury, but do we require it? Governing all cars so that they can't drive over 25 mph would DRASTICALLY reduce injury, but do we require it? If a person chooses to take a risk to their own body, what business is it of the government to stop them? Is skydiving illegal? Death from a failed parachute would be zero if we made it illegal for people to take that risk. Where do you stop in the attempt to try to save someone from themselves.

countyman
19174
countyman 06/11/13 - 01:49 pm
Harrisburg

S&S Cafeteria, Firehouse subs, Zaxbys, etc are still located on Walton Way. How old are these establishments?

If you still lived in the metro area, and not in Charlotte..

Somebody would easily notice that new restaurants(not renovations) aren't popping up weekly around the CSRA.

Nobody can't deny the impact of the Kroc Center on the Harrisburg neighborhood. Almost 8,000 members and over 600 citizens per day, and these were the stats for August 2012...

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 06/11/13 - 04:28 pm
CG

Count me in!! Seatbelts, In 12 years of law enforcement I NEVER unbuckled a DEAD Person! Nuff Said?

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/11/13 - 04:37 pm
SeenIt, well, yeah, if a city

SeenIt, well, yeah, if a city building is defective and people fall through the floor or something, the city could be sued. Ditto if a city vehicle is at fault and hits someone. But because someone commits criminal activity on a city street or Riverwalk you can't sue the city for that no matter if the lights are burned out and there are no policemen around. Hey, it's a shame about those two folks being brutally attacked and they deserve a lot of help from the public, but the city is not at fault.

dichotomy
dichotomy 06/11/13 - 04:39 pm
Man, I miss Western Sizzlin

Man, I miss Western Sizzlin at Southgate. I miss T-Bones, I miss the Golden Corral, I miss Ryan's when you could actually order a steak.

All of the stuff we have lost. That is what countyman does not seem to understand. All of this "progress" he keeps telling us we are making in "Augusta". If it ain't coming to the SOUTH END, as the say in the movie, "it don't mean nothing". I don't care if you get 10 factories in the industrial park....I don't care if you get 50 restaurants downtown and on Washington Rd, I don't care if 25 new stores open in Augusta Exchange. If it ain't a steak house or a national chain store coming to within rock throwing distance of Peach Orchard Rd, I don't care.

If I have to drive 15 miles to take my wife out to dinner, I might as well go to North Augusta, Waynesboro, or Evans........anywhere but Richmond County.

And EVERYTHING is cheaper in North Augusta.

KSL
KSL 06/11/13 - 05:00 pm
Count us in, too, CG.

Count us in, too, CG.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/11/13 - 05:07 pm
Huumph

Just for you RM...I don't like it when you make sense..:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/11/13 - 05:16 pm
KSL
KSL 06/11/13 - 07:26 pm
Ranter 2 knows not of what he

Ranter 2 knows not of what he speaks.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/11/13 - 06:49 pm
SeenIt, you're the best and

SeenIt, you're the best and you know I really WISH we could give something to them for that attempted MURDER on the Riverwalk.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 06/11/13 - 07:06 pm
"Nobody can't deny the impact

"Nobody can't deny the impact of the Kroc Center on the Harrisburg neighborhood." Freudian slip? The Id has spoken?

It's a sure sign that things are slow when you crow about a 2600 sq.ft. hamburger stand.

KSL
KSL 06/11/13 - 07:19 pm
Double negative equals a

Double negative equals a positive.