Rants & Raves

A HEARTY RAVE AND kudos to the administration, staff and volunteers at the Golden Living Center on Anthony Road during National Nursing Home Week. This facility provided a heartwarming program for the residents and daily surprise activities. To look around the room and see the older folks smiling, laughing and playing like children surely made this program well worth the effort and helped them forget their aches and pains for a little while.

I AM A SENIOR CITIZEN, and when I was young I worked for a living. Some of the young people today do not have to work, They are making megabucks selling pills for a living. Can anyone explain?

THANK YOU, AIKEN Regional Medical Centers, for seeing my need for admission when other hospitals would not accept me and seeing I have care at home. I am a senior and appreciate it so much.

PEOPLE MAKE TERRIBLE decisions when something scares them and for other reasons. The man who left the scene of the accident should have called 911 and stayed there, but sometimes we do make awful decisions because of fear. We need to think about this before condemning somebody.

I AM AN EMPLOYEE OF GRU and I need $37,000 worth of work done on my house. Do I call Dr. Azziz to get it done?

BIG RANT TO ALL people who tie their dog in the backyard and forget about it. Why have a dog? It would be cheaper and you would have fewer problems with your neighbors.

RAVE FOR THE warm welcome home article for the troops coming home from Afghanistan. The photo of the embracing couple was sensational.

RANT TO THE 911 operator who was more interested in getting my phone number rather than catch the two people fighting. You never sent a cop, and a woman got beaten up and a car broken into.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 06/07/13 - 09:27 pm
"...Do I call Dr. Azziz to get it done?"

Only if you're one of the designated cool kids.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 06/07/13 - 09:32 pm
"...What we have

... is what made us the greatest country in the world."

To quote The Word according to The Obamessiah, (Peace be onto Him), "You didn't make that."

Mmmmmm, mmmmmm, mmmmm...

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/07/13 - 10:22 pm
Garbage

Friday is my day for Augusta Solid Waste's new one-day-a-week pickup. I watched for them throughout the day, but the lonely garbage cans stood like sentinels on the street, along with those of my neighbors. It is now after 10 p.m. and they are still standing; brimming with refuse – the small recycle container with paper, cardboard and plastic sits next to its larger comrade with trash, foodstuffs, spent cat litter, etc. There is a pile of azalea trimmings next to the larger one.

How long must they wait? How long? How long? When will they be relieved of their contents?

I note that the failure to pick up the trash is not the failure of a GPS unit to locate an obscure, small alleyway. No, they failed to pick up from my entire subdivision, over two hundred homes.

Fred Russell has failed us, but he does not worry. No one on the commission will call him to account. A choir tonight sang, “. . . and the dream goes on.” But for us in Augusta, the lyrics are, “. . . and the trash piles up.”

:-(

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/08/13 - 07:41 am
Good Morning "No Lie" America

Can anyone explain?
Easy, a pill is a lot easier to carrier than a shovel.

FEAR
Not a justification to leave someone dying.

What we have is what made us the greatest country in the world.
Question? Do we still have the Rights and Freedom that made this the greatest country under a King Socialist Dictatorship leader?

Why can’t they be responsible for his hospital bills?
Criminals Have Rights.....

RANT TO THE 911
There's got to be more untold information to this one!

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/08/13 - 08:10 am
To the RANTER " ....I AM TIRED OF Foreigners..."

Everyone here from the American Native Indians to yourself technically is a foreigner.

We each bring something with us to America.
That is why we still we call America a Melting Pot.

If we did not, there would be Deer and grubs served, instead of Beef, Spaghetti, Egg Rolls, Hamburgers, ham, fried chicken, Curry and etc...

If we did not, there would no Wine, Beer, Whiskey, dancing, singing and more.

If we did not AUGUSTA would have wait for it 1st X-ray Machine because a Jewish immigrant call Mrs. (Dr.) Wise would not have been here.

So count your blessings we have foreigners.

But with all that said. I agree one major point.
We MUST BE a Melting Pot.
We MUST expect everyone to learn the American culture and laws of the land we live in, NOT change them to meet theirs.

Old men men dating or marrying 14 years is unacceptable,
Refusing to learn English is unacceptable.
Demanding others adapt to them is unacceptable.

In short, every foreigner is expected to become part of America, blend in and contribute.

Otherwise, why bother coming?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/08/13 - 08:08 am
Had This Problem Way Back Then....

Being old, forgot how I solved it. I'm required to sign in about every five minutes....Sean said I have to sign in at another site but I just can't find it.....Help this old man if you can?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/08/13 - 08:23 am
"We need to think about this

"We need to think about this before condemning somebody."

OK, I thought about it, and I still conclude one is gutless to drive off and leave someone to die.

boodroe
1959
boodroe 06/08/13 - 08:25 am
Garbage pickup

My new garbage day is Friday they picked up all the trash but left the yard waste to sit there and rot and attract rodents oh so lovely a day wet yard waste

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/08/13 - 08:32 am
Schedule

Maybe Augusta Solid Waste needs to re-think the schedule. They should schedule all waste pickup to be done Monday through Thursday. That way, they could use Friday to respond to phone calls of those who were missed on Monday-Thursday.

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/08/13 - 08:32 am
To the "RANT TO THE 911

To the "RANT TO THE 911 operator who was more interested in getting my phone number..." If that is the only question count your blessings.

We have read here some really major DUMB questions asked by ARC 911 operators.

Like "is anyone sick at your location?", when calling in GUN Shots.

But in fairness it is not every 911 operator.
Just enough of them to have us constantly asking;

Is anyone monitoring the number and types of questions asked?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/08/13 - 08:37 am
Training

Maybe the 911 operator training classes are held sundown Friday through sundown Saturday and that operator got a religious exemption from attending training about proper questions to ask.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/08/13 - 08:41 am
Convoy

Augusta Solid Waste has decided to pick up all four types of waste from each home on the same day of the week. My day is Friday.

It would be cool (Dr. Azziz, are you listening?) if they had the trucks travel through the neighborhoods convoy style — municipal waste truck, followed by recycling waste truck, followed by horticultural waste truck, followed by bulky waste truck. The kids would love it.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 06/08/13 - 08:48 am
"Some of the young people

"Some of the young people today do not have to work, They are making megabucks selling pills for a living."

Just because their job isn't legal, doesn't mean they aren't working.....just saying.

american rose
american rose 06/08/13 - 09:55 am
Garbage Pick Up

They came down one side of the street, but didn't bother to come back and pick up the other side of the street. A little common sense would have saved a few calls to 311, by upset customers.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/08/13 - 10:07 am
Nobody is listening to our calls-Obama said

NOW....has a President ever lied about anything!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/08/13 - 10:10 am
Somebody is because

I get ads with meds that I might need---vacations I have said on social media that I would like to take....books I want to read....the ads are programed for my likes---wants...SOO don't tell me somebody isn't watching what I print...google-facebook-ac-or do they have my home bugged??
Or those dang cookies telling on me!!

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/08/13 - 10:16 am
Bill Kirby To Head Columbia County Times

Bill Kirby will be the publisher of the CCNT on at least an interim basis. The changes will be interesting. He writes about noncontroversial subjects while Barry's editorials were opinionated. I wonder what the effects will be?

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/08/13 - 10:17 am
Awards for Augusta Chronicle

I think it is great they got the big awards...they deserve it BUT BUT BUT.....the posters should have some recognition too....doncha think...some for the quality of the posts---some for the comedy of he posts---some for the day dreaming words---some for the pure FACTS & nothing else---some who make us think---some for just outlandish make believe thoughts---& on & on...some for perfect grammar/english & some for the opposite...some for ole fashion story telling.....yall can fill in the blanks!

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/08/13 - 10:22 am
Wow coming from the Mayor of Atlanta

Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed stepped up his verbal thrashing of the Fulton County government this week, accusing its judges of treating criminals “with more respect than they treat law-abiding citizens.”

Read more here: http://bit.ly/18b2mCO

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/08/13 - 10:23 am
B4

how about those with the most TSD points.......

ultrarnr
ultrarnr 06/08/13 - 10:23 am
Greatest Country???

How can this be the greatest country in the world when 20% of our children live in poverty, we have a Congress that accomplishes nothing, our infant mortality rate ranks with third world countries and wealth inequality is tearing this country apart?

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/08/13 - 10:24 am
Cgee

YOU will win that hands down.....it is nice to be loved like that!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/08/13 - 10:25 am
B4

call me.....

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/08/13 - 10:29 am
ok--give me a few mins

I will..today.

Darby
Darby 06/08/13 - 10:39 am
"What we have is what made us the greatest

country in the world."

I have no problem with that. I wouldn't live anywhere else. Still, that statement has been repeated so much that it has become cliché.

It turns off some folks even though it's true. I usually just say that our system has worked extremely well and tinkering with it makes it work less well.

Don't screw it up by bringing in ideas and concepts that have failed in Europe and Asia!

To borrow a line from an earlier editorial....

".....the onus is on the immigrant to fit in, not on the host nation to recast itself in the immigrant's image."

IMHO

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/08/13 - 10:33 am
I 1000% agree...they should pay the bills.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/08/13 - 11:01 am
CBD for Columbia County

As a Columbia County resident, I’m beginning to feel deprived. We don’t have a central business district (CBD). Some remind us we don’t have a noticeable gay, lesbian and transgendered community. We don’t have single people walking around after midnight. We don’t have strip clubs. We never get videos of brawls on the street.

For statistical purposes, I say we create a Columbia County CBD from the Target Shopping Center on Washington Rd. (both sides) that runs up to the Walmart Center and swings back over through the government complex and to the river. To be fair that area also contains a few large apartment complexes. It would be larger than the Augusta CBD with more residents and I’d guess takes in more in sales tax. We could police it with one of the Reserve officers using a cell phone with 50 minutes a month on a bicycle.

burninater
burninater 06/08/13 - 11:33 am
"I AM TIRED OF foreigners

"I AM TIRED OF foreigners coming to our country and attempting to change our country and habits to match those of the country they left. Why didn’t they just stay home? What we have is what made us the greatest country in the world."
---------
I think everyone who thinks differently than me should just go away. Noone should think or do anything unless they think it or do it the way I would. I noticed that even some native-born Americans think differently than me. They must be corrupted with foreign blood. They must go away too. Just go away, different people. Different is stupid.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/08/13 - 12:15 pm
"RANTS FOR THE bums who beat

"RANTS FOR THE bums who beat Wesley Spires. Why can’t they be responsible for his hospital bills?"

I agree but seeing that they were robbing the two, the old saying "you can't get blood from a turnip" comes to mind.

Morning wreck slows traffic

Expect delays at Peach Orchard Road near Bobby Jones Expressway after a wreck involving an 18-wheeler.