Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

RANT TO THE drivers of Augusta. I have been behind many drivers who slow down and look to their left when turning right on a green light. What sense does this make? If you were going straight through the green light, would you still slow down and look to your left?

I KNOW SOMEONE who had their motorcycle stolen on April 15 in North Augusta and still no arrest. They know who he is. Take something from Wal-Mart, and three cars show up. Way to go, police department.

STOP LYING ABOUT President Obama! He did not only go golfing or partying. He drew down the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. He made sure the U.S. did not cowboy solo into other wars in Syria and Iran. He gained back respect for the U.S. in other countries by working with them instead of trying to lead them behind us.

SHOUT OUT TO the Richmond County school board for the biggest financial letdown of the past three years. Also, for all the educators about to lose their jobs, and for the looming and booming cuts to come that will jeopardize athletic programs and more jobs. No wonder everyone wants out of Richmond County.

RAVE FOR DEPUTY Ray Sigler, who answered an alarm call when the power went out in the area because of a wreck. I am a handicapped person who was locked in an electric chair. He was professional, sympathetic and considerate. He lifted me out of a chair. Thanks also to the young women who waited patiently with me.

WHY DO COLLEGE students who study hard and get good grades not get any kind of financial help, but kids who don’t care and barely scrape by can get all the financial help they need?

I AM SO PROUD Blocker-Adams is running. I know this lady. She is very courteous and can bring people together just like a mother would. I want to be the first one to call her our mother mayor.

I HAVE A CHALLENGE for my fellow Augustans: Whenever you see members of the military, take the time to thank them and their family for their service. Try it. It will make you feel good.

REAL ASIANS SHOULD be insulted that the European media describe all violence by Mus­lims as “Asian.” I wonder why they can’t call it what it is.

happychimer
happychimer 06/03/13 - 09:11 pm
I always look both ways when

I always look both ways when I go through a green light, because some people run red lights. I am aware of what is going on around me, and if you don't like it if I slow down a little and look both ways, then that's your problem. I also look to my left before making a right turn. I don't trust other drivers.

countyman
20575
countyman 06/04/13 - 12:13 am
New choices for tourist visting GA's third highest visited city

I'm hearing another national brand restaurant(new construction) is coming soon to Augusta. This is on top of the Texas Roadhouse in West Augusta, restaurant next to Farmhaus Burgers in the CBD, Genghis Grill in the Augusta Exchange, Cookout in Harrisburg, Five Guys in South Augusta, etc..

I expect the Walgreens/3 acre development at Tobacco rd/Windsor Spring in South Augusta to have at least one new restaurant. Also, the development opening in front Kroger on Washington rd is another possibility.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 06/04/13 - 01:03 am
Driving 101

I look both ways no matter what. It has saved my life plenty of times. It might have saved the people in the car behind me too if I made it and they didn't. One time I was in a two lane turning lane and the guy next to me blocked my view, when he suddenly stopped , I did too and a car ran the red light. I was glad he was looking left. I don't go on a green unless everyone stops or at least appears to be slowing for a stop. Lesson #1, don't get behind me.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 06/04/13 - 01:10 am
New restaurants

I heard rumors that restaurants are going to start accepting EBT cards, no doubt Augusta will see several new restaurants. EBT users should have to show ID to make sure they haven't been sold for cash. I'm not picking on you countyman, just sayin.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 06/04/13 - 01:13 am
Solid waste

My new trash day is on Friday. Don't most people do their yard work on the weekend? I guess their yard waste will be out on the road all week.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 06/04/13 - 04:45 am
EBT = Eat Better Today!

EBT = Eat Better Today!

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 06/04/13 - 06:03 am
It's called defensive

It's called defensive driving. I rue the day that high schools could no longer afford to support driver's education. Should be mandatory. I still remember specific lessons from that class like they were yesterday. Algebra II not so much since it was the period right before lunch.

junkyardpig
junkyardpig 06/04/13 - 06:37 am
hard work vs loafers

we have become a society that rewards loafers and lazy bums and drug users over those who work hard and have to struggle every day in order to help pay for the lazy losers who feel that pushing drugs and making babies is a job. only in america. any where else in the world they wouldnt get nothing. one only has to look at the many projects here in augusta to see the free is better attitude. some day the working middle class will fall and who's going to flip the bill for all these losers?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/04/13 - 06:56 am
Good Morning "Saved" America

@3. There you have it folks. In 5 sentences and 60 words, the total accomplishment's of the Great Messiah King SMNCICBHO, the Hammer & Sickle Man. "All Truth & no Lies"

Everything else that has happened to you America in the past almost 5 years is totally incidental and not irrelevant.

Just think how bad things would be if it wasn't for this savior.

(Hope everybody believes all this)

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/04/13 - 07:00 am
@6

That's an easy question to answer.

Just open your eyes and think without PC and the answer will be visible.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/04/13 - 07:09 am
@9

My wife of 54 years is Asian. If anybody was ever to classify her as a Muslim.......there would be blood someplace!!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/04/13 - 07:50 am
seenitB4
seenitB4 06/04/13 - 08:16 am
Goldfish..Cgee

I found some big goldfish & left a pic (at that other place)...just right for your pond.....kinda big though....

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/04/13 - 08:25 am
REAL ASIANS SHOULD be insulted

I have Asian neighbors...no one calls them anything but their name....geez...why would we....best neighbors in the world..

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/04/13 - 08:27 am
Russia & Israel

The more I read about them the more I like their style...they don't quiver--they don't mess around either......they put their money where their mouth is....seems we need to learn a thing or two from them.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/04/13 - 08:30 am
Speaking of blackberry pie

OOOh..yall weren't...heh...I was thinking about it...weell ok...I need some for breakfast & more coffee....♥

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/04/13 - 08:33 am
dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 06/04/13 - 08:45 am
"The third car rule"

I have always held that there is a rule --perhaps unwritten-- but still adhered to here in the CSRA that only the third car that goes after the light turns red is breaking the law. Don't believe me? Go to any major intersection in the area and watch, especially at high traffic times.

Go immediately when green? Here, that's like using turn signals; the cops, ignorant of their purpose (or so it seems from their own driving) will ticket you for imitating an emergency vehicle by use of flashing lights.

Don't let me start on headlights.

augrichgal
augrichgal 06/04/13 - 08:53 am
response to why do college and EBT

Welcome to the real world college student. The slackers as you put it get the freebies while us working people struggle to make ends meet. Work hard and keep your chin up....do not lower yourself to the lazy blood suckers. I know people that have been using abusing the system for 6+ years. People know how to manipulate the system. Georgia should def be one of th states that caps EBT after 2 years for healthy young people. Those are the ones that make it diffcult to feel for the ones that really need the help. 20 to 40 year old women making a career of EBT and freebies should be forced to work a min of 30 hours a week.

allhans
allhans 06/04/13 - 09:08 am
Democrats say that we need

Democrats say that we need immigrants to do the jobs that Americans don't want to do. "Don't want to do". Yep! If you don't want to, then get somebody else...and now African _American leaders are beginning to realize what this is all about.... They should have seen it coming.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/04/13 - 09:43 am
You are so right allhans.

You are so right allhans. There are plenty of jobs I don't "want' to do, but would do if I needed to eat and pay the bills.

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/04/13 - 10:33 am
Yankee's feared a 2nd civil War

Fed's Panic and Homeland Security called out about 30 Government agencies to hunt down a Civil War Submarine replica.

Quoting the article:
"They should have set the terror color chart to Rebel Gray, because they were just hunting for a bunch of good ol’ boys from Summerville hauling a replica of the H.L. Hunley to Connecticut for the weekend.

Our Homeland Security and Federal Tax dollars at work looking for Home Grown Terrorists. ;-)

Dudeness
Dudeness 06/04/13 - 11:04 am
I'm just going to chalk up

I'm just going to chalk up the Obama rave as a facetious remark.

The rant about Augusta drivers is based on the rest of us being very aware of Augusta drivers. It is a regular occurrence to see 3 cars run a red light these days, so it is just instinct to look when making a turn now. Everybody wants to be that "one more car". I still get irritated at people who sit on a green light rather than pulling forward though. I like to hit the gas as soon as I get a green light to scare that "one more car" into hightailing it out of the way.

Regarding all raves about financial assistance and people growing up to be 30/40/50 year old infants always needing someone to care for them, the way I look at it is that I do not have a glass ceiling over my head like they do. My income and lifestyle can change based on my hard work and career advancement whereas they will remain under someone's thumb. I certainly understand anger towards people taking advantage, but I will never be jealous of someone who chooses to remain a dependent. By the way, if you got good grades, you can get financial assistance. My high school grades were only good the final 2 1/2 years and I still was eligible for the Hope Grant to my surprise.

countyman
20575
countyman 06/04/13 - 12:08 pm
New restaurants

Augustaresident... Maybe a few of the smaller local soul food, fish, etc restaurants who might open up in some working class/poorer areas...

All of the new restaurants I've shared on here except for the one in the CBD(local) are national brands.. These new restaurants are based on traffic counts, daytime populations, and income...

The Genghis Grill opening in the Augusta Exchange had three specific requirements.

1. 35,000 daytime population within 3 miles
2. $65,000 AVG HH Income within 3 miles
3. 75,000 residential population within 3 miles

The income having to be at least $65,000 doesn't sound like their expecting much EBT card use at the restaurant..

Darby
Darby 06/04/13 - 12:18 pm
"Take something from Wal-Mart,

and three cars show up."

Now we have Wal-Mart envy??? Somebody call Freud!!

mrenee2003
mrenee2003 06/04/13 - 01:18 pm
People that live in Saudi

People that live in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, etc. live in southwest Asia, thus they are called Asians. Learn some geography, people. To the driver irritated with people looking for cars before entering into an intersection; do everybody a favor and stay off the road.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/04/13 - 01:26 pm
Arab

People who live in Saudi Arabia and Kuwait live in what is commonly known as the Middle East, and they are called Arabs.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/04/13 - 01:28 pm
Twofer

Now, people who live in Indonesia are both Asian and Muslim.

David Parker
David Parker 06/04/13 - 02:14 pm
You either rage on the road

You either rage on the road or you don't. I give plenty of time and space to everyone else on the road and get my kids where they need to go in the safest manner possible. Counting on other drivers to stop b/c of a little switch and lightbulb, isn't going to get me there faster and in some cases may cause delay or worse.

ARC to honor 1956 championship team

Because the championship year of 1956 has never lost its glory in Richmond Academy football lore, the team will be honored Thursday at the third annual ARC Hall of Fame banquet, where 10 alumni ...