Augusta Economy

More News | Fort Gordon | Plant Vogtle | Savannah River Site | Editor

Transportation Security Administration removed machine from Augusta Regional Airport

An advanced imaging technology machine was removed from Augusta Regional Airport by the Transportation Security Administration.

In late April, the machine was removed from Augusta, one of 36 airports across the nation to lose their machine, according to an airport news release. The machines were placed at airports where they will be better utilized.

Advanced Imaging Technology tests for metallic and nonmetallic threats including weapons and explosives which may be concealed under clothing, according to the TSA web site.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/01/13 - 02:39 am
Why?

"The machines were placed at airports where they will be better utilized."

I wonder what that actually means?

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 06/01/13 - 05:30 am
Wow, this is an "informative"

Wow, this is an "informative" piece of news. What is it being replaced with? The traditional metal detectors? The wand? Strip searches?

angedelune
angedelune 06/01/13 - 07:00 am
well...

if you've ever been to Augusta Regional it was never really needed anyways. I've never had to wait in line when flying out of Augusta, never had a problem with my bags, and the TSA agents are always nice and congenial; a traditional wand and bag screener are really all they need.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 06/01/13 - 07:49 am
I agree, Ange. TSA agents in

I agree, Ange. TSA agents in Augusta are great. Don't make you feel like a criminal waiting to happen. I was there once and overheard a young agent gently and sympathetically explaining over and over again to an elderly couple why they couldn't carry on their huge economy-sized bottles of shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and mouth wash and offering them options of what to do rather than discard them.

angedelune
angedelune 06/01/13 - 07:53 am
True

i've seen the same thing palmetto, made me happy. i stopped driving to atlanta to fly, most of the time it's cheaper to fly from here (and columbia has always been more expensive) and i don't have to drive two hours plus pay 12 bucks a day for parking.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 06/01/13 - 08:07 am
I always use Augusta when I'm

I always use Augusta when I'm on business...and when personal, I always check out Augusta first. Found, though, depending on where I'm going, Charlotte can be a real deal. Not any further than ATL, less traffic in out of the airport...and parking is dirt cheap.

LocalGirl
LocalGirl 06/01/13 - 08:50 am
Old News

I fly quite a bit for work and was actually in Augusta airport every week for the past two months. The advanced screener/full body scan machine has been gone for at least 6 weeks now, so this is old news.

I love our home town airport. It is small and convenient. Parking is very cheap. The US Airways staff (my preferred airline) are always nice, and the TSA agents are great.

Even when I fly for pleasure, I won't drive to Charlotte or Atlanta. My time is valuable, and I don't want to waste a couple of hours driving on both ends of the trip. Gas prices are still high, too. Parking will cost you significantly more in the bigger airports as well. Been there, done that, so I will continue to fly from home.

countyman
countyman 06/01/13 - 11:23 am
Let's all continue to use the

Let's all continue to use the airport, and watch the new routes/airlines follow right behind..

The airport should set it's fourth passenger record in a row by the end of 2013.

Jake
Jake 06/01/13 - 12:01 pm
Flying

When I fly from where I live (SF Bay Area) I almost always fly to Atlanta or Charlotte and then take the drive into Augusta. It is cheaper for me and, when in Augusta, I need a rent-a-car anyway. It does not save me any time or money to fly into Augusta.
Many a time I have been held up in Atlanta because of thunderstorms when I fly those puddle-jumpers into Augusta. Not worth the time lost, not to mention having to have your luggage change planes.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 06/01/13 - 12:35 pm
Jake, When I go

Jake,
When I go Augusta-sacramento I usually take southwest out of Greenville-Spartanburg. A good alternative for those of us who are not rich.

Connor Threlkeld
Connor Threlkeld 06/01/13 - 05:59 pm
We fly out of wherever we can

We fly out of wherever we can get the best deal, sometimes it's Augusta, sometimes Atlanta, sometimes Columbia. On our last flight, out of Augusta, TSA was extremely patient with our 3-year-old, who didn't want to give up his stuffed animal to walk through the metal detector. Fortunately, there was nobody waiting, but they were very nice.

What I've heard about the machines being removed is that, in leaner budget times, the TSA is moving machines from smaller airports to places they would be used much more, since they can't purchase as many as they would like. There was some controversy in places where the local airport spent considerable money getting the machines installed (moving walls and other infrastructure to get it into place, things like that, usually in the five figures), only to have them taken away later.

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 06/02/13 - 04:03 pm
I quit flying out of Augusta

... because out of seven trips, only once did I arrive on time. And my bags didn't. I also took two bus rides to Augusta because the flights were cancelled. Atlanta or Columbia for me.

Kettle donations rise in 2014