Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

WHAT A WONDERFUL day the area was given with Thunder Over Au­gusta. Boy, was our military honored, and rightly so! I am so proud of our country and the support I saw and heard.

IT’S AMAZING THAT when something good happens, not only does Obama know about it, he takes credit for it. When something bad happens, he doesn’t know a thing.

I MOVED TO AUGUSTA a year ago and was so glad to escape Atlanta traffic and all the hustle and bustle of the big city. As a single senior, I was interested in finding walking paths for exercise purposes. I asked my son to take me to Lake Olmstead and the river­walk. He said, “Mother, if you want to see your 65th birthday, you can’t go to either place.” Tomorrow is my 65th birthday, and I am still alive and have been to neither place. The city needs to put uniformed police officers to walk the beat at river­walk. I also suggest cameras and lots of lighting, and while they’re at it, throw in a drone or two. Then we’ll be safer.

BIG RAVE FOR Logan’s Steakhouse for making Mother’s Day so special. The carnations handed out were a very thoughtful thing to do.

PLEASE DON’T BLAME the grounds crews at the Summerville campus. There are several vacancies there, and very little money to use for replacements. I’m sure as time goes on the campus will be in tip-top shape again as soon as it is possible.

TO THE PERSON WHO brought up about unpaid taxes: Let’s hear how much Romney now has out in the Cayman Islands and elsewhere that he’s scammed out of reach of the IRS.

THAT WAS A wonderful article about Gloria Lucas. She really has helped a lot of people with her work for her book, her work at the Augusta Genealogical Society Library and her donation of those funeral programs. I would like to ask if people can honor her by making sure to donate funeral programs to libraries. And for any African-American ones, please do consider that program at the downtown library or Lucy Craft Laney Museum. Please help preserve history of loved ones who are gone.

WHEN AND WHY was the driveway to Jamestown Community Center named “Sammie Sais Dr”? Why was it not named after an original Jamestown ancestor? What contribution has Sammie made?

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/31/13 - 07:25 pm
I will not rant today. 1

I will not rant today.

1 YES,
2 Yes,
3 Yes,
4 Big Yes, Chop House also.
5 Yes,
6 Yes, a shrewd business man is one that knows the IRS
7 yes,
8 Yes. Sammie Sais who?

Btw: The Wife said get life or lose a wife.
I like the wife, so we're going fishing this weekend.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 05/31/13 - 08:52 pm
Still on Romney?

Wow. Not one bit of interest in dozens of Democrats who entered Congress or Democratic administrations with modest fortunes and are now multimillionaires? Where else can a disbarred lawyer who's never had an actual job become a multi-millionaire and appoint a cabinet from people who have tax liabilities when the were nominated?

Odd thing is, Romney --and the Bush family before them-- made their fortunes in private industry, and somehow that taints them? Much better to make money as a community organizer --equivalent to a local yokel Al Sharpton-- basically, squeezing business and the government and running race-based extortion scams.

((You know; business: those evil, greedy, people who want to keep what they've earned rather than hand it over to be redistributed to lifestyle leeches.))

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 06/01/13 - 12:53 am
"Thunder Over Au­gusta.

... Boy, was our military honored, and rightly so! I am so proud of our country and the support I saw and heard..."

Yeah. One day down, and then November 11, and America has punched its "we care" ticket for the troops. Back to business as usual.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 06/01/13 - 12:56 am
Naming public works should be

... only once the individual has been dead a century. Or more.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/01/13 - 03:25 am
Romney and IRS

If Romney were doing something wrong with his taxes, be assured the IRS goons would have found out and paraded him through the streets with derogatory signs on him so the people could throw rotten vegetables at the capitalist swine.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/01/13 - 07:41 am
That is funny nocnoc..heheh

Btw: The Wife said get life or lose a wife.
I like the wife, so we're going fishing this weekend.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/01/13 - 07:46 am
To this rant

What a shame too....taxes pay for these walkways & believe me some have paid for YEARS YEARS....sometimes I would like to see a granny/papa posse take the streets back....walk around with a steel cane & ready to pounce whenever needed.....walk in groups & someone carry a weapon..use the dang thing if necessary......enough crap & the police can't be everywhere.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/01/13 - 07:51 am
Romney & the Caymans heh heh

At least he didn't ramble down to Monroe Ga & give a speech about something that happened in 1946.......just to stir his troubles in a another direction....tax money woes are not just a Rep problem.....all size fish are in this pond!

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/01/13 - 08:02 am
CGee can't be everywhere...heh

I never get tired of watching this video....never...take our streets back!

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 06/01/13 - 08:12 am
"...I would like to see a granny/papa

...posse take the streets back..."

THEM, the cops would arrest... unless they were walking around with a Glock in their waistband, pushing folks off the sidewalk, wearing pants-on-the-ground, do-rags, and what appear to be gold-plated hood ornaments on chains around their necks.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/01/13 - 08:16 am
OUR tattoo expo----heh

Atlanta Tattoo Expo

Friday, May 31 3:00p to Today 12:00a
More dates & times (2)

Wyndham Hotel Atlanta, GA

For the 17th year, Sacred Heart Tattoo and Tony Olivas are hosting the Southeast's premier event celebrating the tattoo lifestyle. The event will feature live tattooing from almost 100 of the best tattoo artists in the nation, celebrity guests, tattoo and bikini contests, parties, unique merchandise and more. Celebrity guests, Big Gus, from the television show "Tattoo Nightmares" and, Bob Tyrell, from the show "Ink Masters", will be onsite tattooing, meeting fans and selling merchandise.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/01/13 - 08:19 am
Weel stewart

I could jerk their pants down some.....paste some fake tattoos on em in the right spots....braid their whiskers kinda......put some dragging drawrers on em.....BUT they have to take so dang many bathroom breaks...ya know whatta mean...lol :)

ken8375309
ken8375309 06/01/13 - 08:34 am
Lake Olmstead

I walk my dogs at Lake Olmstead almost every day, and have been for the last 15 or so years. Only problem I have ever encountered was an aggressive Pit Bull that got a face full of pepper spray.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/01/13 - 08:39 am
Coffee on the deck

Sometmes ya just gotta drink your coffee on the deck....I think we will have barbecue ribs today...with corn grilled & maybe some vidalia onions too......I love this am cool breeze---the aroma coming from the flowers---smell of the coffee ...hmmmmm...where is my butler--hahaha

If only I had a french chef....things could be perfect.♥

Darby
Darby 06/01/13 - 08:58 am
"Romney --and the Bush family before them--

made their fortunes in private industry"

Yes, people who demonstrate creativity (other than tattoo artists, maybe) are to be ridiculed and scorned.

Particularly if they create wealth in the process.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/01/13 - 09:23 am
CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/01/13 - 09:28 am
Good Morning "Loving" America

Biden: Undocumented workers don’t get respect in U.S.

VP says ‘immigrants’ forced to ‘constantly live in fear’

(Washington ton Times) – Vice President Joseph R. Biden suggested to a crowd in Trinidad on Tuesday that it’s a shame the United States doesn’t give proper respect to nations of the world by allowing immigrants unfettered access to American citizenship.

“I believe in international relations, as in any relationship, it comes down to respect. Do we respect one another? And do we show respect? For my country, that means reforming our immigration system so the 11 million — 11 million — undocumented men, women and many children, who came through no choice of their own, can come out of the shadows and be full participants in American life because they are already in many cases participating and contributing to the growth and prosperity of my country, but required to constantly live in fear and live in the shadows,” he said, as posted on the White House Office of the Vice President’s website.

Mr. Biden was at the diplomatic center in the Port of Spain, the capital of Trinidad and Tobago, to sign a trade agreement with Caribbean countries.

He also said: “It’s about time, and the president and I have been calling for this for a long time, even back in the days when he was a senator and I was in the Senate. It’s about time they’re afforded the dignity they deserve.”

Mr. Biden reiterated: “It’s about time — it’s abo

allhans
allhans 06/01/13 - 10:14 am
"....undocumented men, women

"....undocumented men, women and many children, who came through no choice of their own,..."

Really?

BeMore
BeMore 06/01/13 - 12:21 pm
driveway to Jamestown Community Center

This action took place approximately 2 yrs ago. His community wanted to express their appreciation for the pride, dedication and service that he put forth in keeping his neighborhood cleaner, safer and raising the quality of life. Not to mention creating (with assistance) a Military Mentorship program for the elementary school for that area. (among other things.)

btw: Why is that subdivision called Jamestown?

KSL
KSL 06/01/13 - 02:20 pm
"he was a senator and I was

"he was a senator and I was in the Senate"

What an odd way of putting it.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/01/13 - 03:04 pm
Nice

Nice to see the thumbs downer...glad you had the weekend off..lol

Anon-a-mouse
Anon-a-mouse 06/01/13 - 04:37 pm
Summerville Campus grounds keeping funds

It strikes me odd that money cannot be found to take care of GRU grounds....oh yeah, it's being used for garages and such for the Milledge Road residence.

KSL
KSL 06/01/13 - 05:53 pm
Like your moniker.

Like your moniker.

dichotomy
32080
dichotomy 06/01/13 - 08:32 pm
"undocumented men, women and

"undocumented men, women and many children, who came through no choice of their own"

Biden is a blithering idiot. He has a warped thought process.

dichotomy
32080
dichotomy 06/01/13 - 08:37 pm
"TO THE PERSON WHO brought up

"TO THE PERSON WHO brought up about unpaid taxes: Let’s hear how much Romney now has out in the Cayman Islands ........"

To the Ranter who has ZERO knowledge of what Romney has and where he has it, I assure you that Romney is only doing what anyone would do to protect himself to the fullest extent for unreasonable taxation. He had never been charged with tax fraud which I assume means he merely takes advantage of all of the legal tax advantages allowed by our "progressive" tax system you liberals seem to favor and defend. I personally am more concerned about the 47% of Americans who do not pay ANY federal income taxes and probably do not pay any state income taxes. Whatever Romney may or may not be squirreling away is a drop in the bucket compared to what the 47% SHOULD BE PAYING.

dichotomy
32080
dichotomy 06/01/13 - 08:45 pm
"not only does Obama know

"not only does Obama know about it, he takes credit for it. When something bad happens, he doesn’t know a thing"

Ain't that the truth. I've never seen anyone who could change from Sgt. Audie Murphy to Sgt. Schultz so fast. But you know what....when Schultz said "I know nothing, I see nothing" he was usually lying and so is Obama.

Officers tell of trauma from taking life

Although every experience is different, officers who take a life often experience severe bouts of depression, alcoholism, marital problems, sleepless nights and feelings of being alone in the ...