Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

WHY ARE THE THUGS THAT attacked the couple on Riverwalk not being charged with attempted murder?

RANT for the idea of Alvin Mason running for mayor of Augusta! In all the time he has been on the commission, he has yet to show that he has Augusta, Richmond County’s best interests at heart.

MICHELLE OBAMA is to be commended for all her efforts and education of people in the fight of childhood obesity. She can’t do it alone, so join in the fight and stop trying to bash someone for not being able to do every single thing. Stop the politics.

IT WAS SCARY TO FIND out that Georgia and South Carolina do not require registration, insurance or a driver’s license to operate those scooters/mopeds which can travel at speeds up to 30 mph on our roads. What is more scary is that they are being used by those who have had their licenses suspended because of impaired driving convictions including DUI’s. Now that is scary!

A BIG rave for the lady who helped me when I came up $5 short at Aldi’s, then helped me with returning my cart. There are nice people in Augusta, God bless you dear lady !

WAKE UP, ROUNDTREE. While Rolling Thunder is stopping good citizens, thugs are taking over.

PRESIDENT OBAMA must be the most clueless executive ever. He knows nothing about anything that is going on in his own administration: Fast-and-Furious, the Benghazi attack, the IRS abuse of power, the eavesdropping on AP, and anything else that comes up. He is either derelict in his duties or totally incompetent. Being president means more than traveling, golf and partying.

RANT TO OUR commissioners for adding additional taxes in the form of a rain tax and increasing our water rates.

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/27/13 - 07:53 pm
To the commenter that

To the commenter that said
"FOR EVERY DEMOCRAT YOU want to criticize, I can point out 10 Republicans..."

I think you transposed your numbers.

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/27/13 - 07:56 pm
Mopeds are nothing more than

Mopeds are nothing more than a Bike with a tiny engine.

Back deal.

Besides what else are people to use that have suspended licenses to get to work?

I rather have them working than drawing off my earnings.

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/27/13 - 07:59 pm
Keep on taxing us Downtown

Keep on taxing us Downtown and spending it everyplace but on the South Side. Pretty soon you'll find a lot less South Side on the Tax roles for Augusta to suck off of.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/27/13 - 08:49 pm
The Republican Chronicle

The Republican Chronicle beats The Daily Worker.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 05/27/13 - 09:49 pm
"... While Rolling Thunder is stopping

... good citizens, thugs are taking over."

Yeah, but it's about the benjamins; catching thugs don't put money in the county's pockets. Plus, ganging up in a pack and hassling some poor housewife for, "Zee papers, Frau" is a lot safer.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 05/27/13 - 09:53 pm
"WHY ARE THE THUGS

... not being charged with attempted murder?"

Given the weak-kneed prosecutor and the spineless judges who will be handling this case, don't be surprised if they're let off with a warning for some variation of "unsportsmanlike conduct."

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 05/27/13 - 10:00 pm
"Clean your house

... before you publicize in the Republican Chronicle with a lot of lies!"

Everytime some lib gets on here, it's either "they do it too", or "it's all lies". Odd, the Democrats and their hose organs, the media, issue "clarifications", block investigations, declare executive privilege, perjure themselves, promise to investigate themselves, plead the Fifth or even apologize for all these supposed 'fabrications.'

Darby
Darby 05/28/13 - 12:05 am
"FOR EVERY DEMOCRAT YOU want to criticize,

Okay, let's begin with Obama, Chucky Schumer, Hillary, Dick Durban, Anthony Weiner......,

Oh forget it, it would take me the rest the year to point out all the crooks in the Democrat hierarchy.. And I'm not sure that would even be enough time...

In the GOP I WILL trust.

KSL
KSL 05/28/13 - 01:13 am
If

M is fighting obesity why does she look so fat?

KSL
KSL 05/28/13 - 01:27 am
Obama's wife's crusade.

Wonder what she weighs. Oh wait, his wife is off limits.

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/28/13 - 06:37 am
A hard Rave to Say.This

A hard Rave to Say.

This morning I opened up the paper fully expecting to read about some ARC driver that was killed violating some traffic law. Or another Boating accident up at Clark Hill (they can rename it, I still know the real name).

But the paper was absent of any such deadly holiday articles?
Maybe I am missing them or the paper has not woke up yet.

But WHY?

Well this is the part that hurts a little.
I did the big circle yesterday to drop off a Grand Kid.
We drove from Rural South Side to Bobby Jones then to I-20 and to Madison. From the time I hit Hwy56 all the way to Belair RD & I-20 RCSO was handing out tickets at the usual locations.

Yes, some of the areas are were the speed drops quickly and could be considered speed traps on blind curves. Or the debatable bottom of a steep hill ticket trap.

Yes, I saw the same thing at a number of locations between ARC and Madison GA using Local Yokels and Ga Bears. Plus lots of the new UNMARKED cars & SUV's

But I did NOT see 1 accident.

I did see a handful of truckers and speed demons I would have ticketed myself, having to sign a ticket.

Like the Dumb &^% in the dark color Mercedes sports car (with Richmond Co. tags mind you) doing 40 -80 and back to 40 in the high speed lane and TEXTING between Mile markers 158-145, blocking traffic. Now he almost caused 2 accidents. Or the Bike rocket doing every bit of 90+ weaving between vehicles at a 1/4 to 1/2 a car length of space. More than a few people jammed on brakes to save this idiots life. But with cell phones the ticked off drivers so readily in hand, each earned a ticket and maybe some Jail time while awaiting bond.

The point is Holiday Enforcement is pain yes, but it works, and it seems of worked yesterday.

Worry not I still oppose the 1950-60's style road block dragnet nets. A process where dozens if not 100's are stopped just to find the 1 problem to justify the operation.

Yes Operation Thunder still smirks of the Communistic or dictatorship style travel checkpoints which I have saw frequently abroad.

I also still suggest if you really want to reduce DUI's, conduct FREE breath tests of customers leaving the Bar's before they get on the streets. Why let them drive 10 to 15 miles drunk before maybe they are caught at a Checkpoint. ARC loses Fines, but the streets are safe which is the goal, we are told, right?

But of course that might upset club owners and hurt the their alcohol sales.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/28/13 - 07:44 am
seenitB4
seenitB4 05/28/13 - 07:49 am
ATTENTION

There is no substitute for hard work.....per Thomas Edison....

nugget for today..

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 05/28/13 - 08:12 am
I'll say it again

If people would just simply follow the traffic laws Rolling Thunder and like operations would not be needed.

As far as it being a gigantic speed trap or some such nonsense, speed traps aren't advertised by law enforcement.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/28/13 - 08:19 am
"FOR EVERY DEMOCRAT YOU want

"FOR EVERY DEMOCRAT YOU want to criticize, I can point out 10 Republicans who need even more correction. Clean your house before you publicize in the Republican Chronicle with a lot of lies!"

For starters......challenge accepted. Let's see that list. Secondly, every time I say that someone lied on this forum, the post gets pulled. What gives?

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/28/13 - 08:23 am
What is the "trap" in the

What is the "trap" in the so-called speed trap? Is the speed limit not posted?

justthefacts
justthefacts 05/28/13 - 08:28 am
Rolling Thunder

Got to side with dstewart on this one. How do you plan for this timewise? "Hey honey, we better leave for the restaurant an hour early tonight. Might be a roadblock out there." Really?

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/28/13 - 08:45 am
Golden nugget

Life can be tough....untouch by man only the strong can survive & breed the next generation......only the strong can grasp this nugget.

But it has worked for eons...now we are bending that rule & we see the results.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 05/28/13 - 08:53 am
Angela

I have seen areas where the speed limit signs are deliberately obscured. Two that come to mind are in the Lawtey FL and Big Cabin OK areas. While this is not the norm they are out there.

justthefacts
justthefacts 05/28/13 - 08:50 am
Reminder

"Only the strong survive" Man, I miss Jerry Butler!

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/28/13 - 09:02 am
Just for you JTF

So true.....& now I have to ponder some thoughts----read a paper---& live life......sweet thoughts to the strong ones..

charlie marlow
charlie marlow 05/28/13 - 09:07 am
Mopeds require a valid license

Georgia law, and, I believe the same is true in SC, requires a valid license to operate a moped or scooter that is 50cc or less on the road. The only legal alternative to walking or bumming a ride for an individual without a drivers license is a bicycle that is entirely human powered.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/28/13 - 09:11 am
Roadkill....I don't doubt

Roadkill....I don't doubt you, but more often than not, when I hear someone talk about a "speed trap" it is nothing more than the officers stepping up patrolling and giving tickets in clearly posted zones where people like to speed...such as I 520.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/28/13 - 09:20 am
Charlie Marlow

Nope. There was an article a couple of weeks ago about it.

"Equipped with an engine the size of a weed-whacker motor, a 50-cubic-centimeter moped can get up to 125 miles to the gallon and in Georgia and South Carolina, does not require registration, insurance or a driver’s license to operate."

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 05/28/13 - 09:26 am
Our penal system is broken

This piece of trash gets 15 years for :"sexual attacks on two Bradley County women when he was 18. He was convicted on counts of aggravated assault, conspiracy to commit first-degree murder, three counts of aggravated rape and two counts of aggravated kidnapping."

He gets out and 1 year later beats his wife to death and rapes a 15 year old.

Hard for me to undersatnd why he didn't get at least 30 years or more.

justthefacts
justthefacts 05/28/13 - 09:27 am
Seenit

Thank you Ma'am.

dwb619
dwb619 05/28/13 - 09:34 am
Jerry Butler-The Ice Man

He's still around. I see him once or twice a year on the PBS fundraisers. We listen to beach music stations, they play a lot of his music.
Try this one some time,www.949thesurf.com, from Ocean Drive.

justthefacts
justthefacts 05/28/13 - 09:34 am
Traps

Cameras work better. In D.C.

"It likely is one of the most lucrative streets in the world when it comes to collecting a hidden toll in traffic tickets, its gantlet of speed and red-light cameras taking in an average of $30,570 a day and a total of more than $28 million since the start of fiscal 2011"

justthefacts
justthefacts 05/28/13 - 09:44 am
dwb

Thanks, will do. He was in Augusta once (that I know of). He played that club downtown. I can't remember the name. I believe it was on 8th. Anyway, lots of great music in that era.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/28/13 - 09:56 am
Democrats in Trouble

I was reading where lots of Democrats in the state legislature are in legal trouble. But it wouldn't be wise to get rid of all of them. We need to keep a few to make it look fair. Pass a bill to give them their own parole officer to sit with them so they don't have to go to jail.

Search of alleged dealer's home found drugs, firearms