Georgia could lose federal money for not participating in survey on teen sex

ATLANTA — Georgia stands to lose $1.8 million in health-related funding because state officials refuse to participate in a federal survey that asks students from seventh grade through high school questions about their sexual histories.

The sex questions are part of a nationwide survey conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and Georgia hasn’t allowed them to be asked in its public schools since the 1990s. Three other states – Louisiana, Utah and Virginia – joined Georgia in opting out of the teen sex survey last year.

But this year participation comes with money attached. For the first time, the federal government has tied completing the questionnaires to $1.8 million in grants for programs aimed at preventing HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported.

A spokesman for Gov. Nathan Deal said the governor was uncomfortable about letting the government ask students as young as 12 about whether they use condoms and how many sexual partners they have had.

“Many Georgia parents would object to public schools asking their seventh-grade child these questions, and Governor Deal agrees with them,” Deal spokesman Brian Robinson said. “We don’t think that federal funds for programs should be cut based on the use of these questions, but Governor Deal will refuse federal funds if they come (tied) to policies that run contrary to Georgia values.”

The CDC survey is sent to students across the nation and asks questions on drug abuse, violence, alcohol use and suicidal behavior as well as sex. Students are instructed not to include their names.

Georgia students have long answered the questions on topics other than sex. Jeff Graham, the executive director of the gay and lesbian advocacy group Georgia Equality, said state officials are being shortsighted by turning down money because they’re squeamish about children answering questions about sex. He noted Georgia reported more than 2,500 newly diagnosed HIV cases in 2011 – the fifth highest total among U.S. states.

“It’s really unconscionable that the Department of Education would decide they wouldn’t even apply for those funds,” Graham said.

The survey asks high school students whether they have ever had a sexual encounter, how many partners they’ve had, whether they use condoms and whether they drank alcohol or used drugs before intercourse. Middle school pupils get a pared-down list that also asks them about condom use and their total number of sexual partners.

“There were some sensitive questions that many districts have not felt comfortable having students answer in the past, and we wanted to ensure we got reliable results,” said Matt Cardoza, a spokesman for Georgia’s Department of Education. “And there has always been concern that students would not take some of those questions seriously.”

gargoyle
gargoyle 05/25/13 - 03:14 pm
There's the problem your

There's the problem your forefathers warned you about,The federal gov. with the big money stick.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 05/25/13 - 03:27 pm
I wonder how accurate the

I wonder how accurate the responses would be from this age group...

But that's the joy of statistics, you can make them support or not support whatever you wish....

specsta
specsta 05/25/13 - 04:46 pm
HIV Infection Risk

At some point, these folks with their "Georgia values" are going to have to stop sticking their heads in the sand and face the reality that young teens are engaging in sexual activities.

This is not a "moral issue" - HIV infection is a health issue and 2,500 new cases is extremely serious. The Governor and the rest of those folks can continue to believe that ignorance will make it all go away, but the fact is that young teens contract more HIV/STD infections than any other age group.

Measures to prevent the spread of HIV/STD infections are essential to the health of young teens and young adults. Exactly why anyone would try to prevent every available means of education and prevention is beyond my understanding. These so-called "Georgia values" could very well be a death sentence via HIV-AIDS to some young teen.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 05/25/13 - 05:00 pm
You don't deal with HIV effectively this way,

no matter what some people think. You deal with HIV infection rates by teaching kids not to have sex before they're married and only with their spouse after that, period. This was the standard even for Americans until fairly recently.

You may think that is unrealistic or primitive. It's not, except to people who are lazy, or stupid, or who have no idea that human beings are intended for anything but the same kind of appetite driven life that characterizes animals.

Rutting around like quadruped ruminants on the trail of a female in heat doesn't exactly do much for a human being's destiny. This idiotic survey assumes nothing better, however.

Let 'em keep that money. It's dirty money.

gargoyle
gargoyle 05/25/13 - 05:54 pm
My problems is with the the

My problems is with the the one answer fits all mentality the Feds seem to cram down everyones throat. If you don't money will be withheld sounds a bit overbearing if put in perspective of questionnaires must be handed to children or you don't get 1.8 million to help fight Aids,Who is the bully in this case? Federal funds for programs vitial as this should not be cut based on how you poll students from seventh grade through high school.The Feds money stick is happening quicker and the steering of public funds on condition compliance that shold be regulated at State or local level sound Totalitarian to me

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/25/13 - 07:00 pm
The Gov was right

Yes ...we have a health problem but questioning kids won't make it go away.....I wouldn't allow my kids to answer the questions.....some way some how it would go public & then WHAT!!!
GGGEEEZ....there has to be a better way to do this.
We have been dumbed down in soooo MANY WAYS,....It really makes me sick.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/25/13 - 07:02 pm
Ask these questions...

Next thing you know they will want to know the answers from the parents.

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/25/13 - 07:08 pm
Have to side with GA on this one.

Why not publish a link to the questions and see if readers agree..

Want to bet a Majority of reasonable parents would agree their kids don't need to be asked these questions, after reading them?

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/25/13 - 07:13 pm
We wonder why

Parents take their kids out of public schools & go private....well

HERE'S YOUR SIGN!

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/25/13 - 07:16 pm
Ok the HIV angle was tossed

Ok the HIV angle was tossed out to play the game.

....2,500 newly diagnosed HIV cases in 2011...

Ok how many were School students between 7th and 12th grade?

How many got by Heterosexual sex?
How many got by Homosexual sex?
How many got it by Drugs?
How many got it despite being warned about it in Teen Sex Education class and protected sex?.

As long as we have guys going Bare Back and their partner not protesting we will have HIV/AIDS

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 05/25/13 - 07:58 pm
Oh Boy

I can just imagine something like this trying to be introduced into my school in the late 40's early 50's. Every parent with horse and buggy would be in the school parking lot with shot guns in hand!

What the heck, not much left to save America........

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/25/13 - 08:46 pm
BTW" I searched 10 mins on, google, yahoo and etc...

Can't find the CDC Sex questions anywhere?????
If any body has any luck please post the link.

Darby
Darby 05/25/13 - 09:07 pm
No thought given to the cause and effect

of rising unplanned pregnancies and STD's caused by the attitude that "they're going to do it anyway." Funny thing, before we became so cavalier about teenage sex there wasn't really that much of it. Kids my age were really wanting to try it, but most were scared to death of the consequences.

In my high school, (The largest in the county with about one thousand students.) we had two pregnant girls in four years. Now brace for the online liberals to tell me that there were more, we just didn't know about it.
They would be wrong. There was really no way to keep that kind of thing secret.

As with so much more today, the problem here is with government intrusion into our lives and our children's lives by do-good socialists.

Glad to see Georgia doing what little it can to prevent the further corruption of children by Big Brother.

If I'm a thirteen year of boy, and find myself filling out that questionnaire, the first thing I'm gonna do when I finish is to try and find out just what it is I've been missing out on.

Darby
Darby 05/25/13 - 09:13 pm
If Specsta and others are right...

then we would have solved this problem decades ago, rather than watching it grow and spiral out of control.

Now they'll tell us that it's worse because of conservative resistance. That tired line never gets old for them.

Government isn't the solution, government is the problem.

prov227
prov227 05/25/13 - 10:41 pm
Can we trust the Federal CDC&P ...

with this information in their database with the same ease that information stored by the IRS and may used against political opponents? It's all FEDERAL and under the control of an executive administration that seems to not know what's going on in the executive branch.

deestafford
deestafford 05/26/13 - 12:56 am
Nocnoc is right on about the break down of HIV

Atlanta is the SouthEast headquarters of the homosexual movement and population. The figures on HIV in GA was just something to bait the water for people to think it had something to do with the school children.
Let's face it, when the yankee government want to intrude more on states rights and responsibilities they always, always race the "It's for the children" flag.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 05/26/13 - 02:04 am
SeenitB4: all the answers

SeenitB4: all the answers are anonymous

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 05/26/13 - 02:15 am
This is just my opinion, and

This is just my opinion, and that's all it is, my opinion:

The Republicans in Georgia would prefer to keep their heads stuck in the Ground and do not want to know!

That is until SUZY comes home with Child!

"Hello Aunt Jane, You are going to have a visitor for awhile!"

Deal is being an ignorant fool. He doesn't want GA to know just how nasty their kids really are. Bury your head in the sand Nathan and it will all go away. Welcome to backwards Georgia.
Here are a few of the NASTY Questions? Get ready to Laugh out Loud!

•Have you ever had sexual intercourse?
•How old were you when you had sexual intercourse for the first time?
•During your life, with how many people have you had sexual intercourse?
•During the past three months, with how many people did you have sexual intercourse?
•Did you drink alcohol or use drugs before you had sexual intercourse the last time?
•The last time you had sexual intercourse, did you or your partner use a condom?
•The last time you had sexual intercourse, what one method did you or your partner use to prevent pregnancy?

Now really Governor Deal! Please!

Care to Join the rest of Us in the 21st Century?
Come on people! Grow up!! This state should be very embarrassed for itself showing how backward and uneducated people are here. Shame on you Nathan Deal and all those he is trying to please!

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/26/13 - 06:09 am
GAD said to me...

SeenitB4: all the answers are anonymous

Please please...GAD...& the Easter Bunny comes at Easter.....I know they ARE supposed to be...but I don't trust that.....there are many reasons in the news right now to say that......btw I'm glad you are still with us ..ya had me worried that you were tossed.

The questions are personal & if you raise your kid the right way...they won't be necessary...A child at the age of 12 shouldn't be worrying about sex & how many.

Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva 05/26/13 - 06:13 am
Abstinence only education has

Abstinence only education has zero effect on teen sexual activity rates. Those that have "virginity pledges" result in 1/3 less contraceptive use.

myfather15
myfather15 05/26/13 - 06:54 am
Giants

Oooh sure; BUT. with all the teachers sex scandals with students; do you think I trust a government representative to ask my 12 year old daughter those questions?

Question; Did you drink alcohol or use drugs before you had sexual intercourse the last time?

Answer; Yes

Nest question; Do you know I have a bar at my house?

myfather15
myfather15 05/26/13 - 07:00 am
I could easily see me losing

I could easily see me losing my career one day over this. I have 7 and 6 year old daughters. I find out some government representative has asked them these questions without ASKING ME; there just might be an assault with bodily injury.

And for those of you who lack the intelligence to realize this is the parents job; I'm not afraid to talk to my children about sex and I will teach them the RIGHT information about sex. Health concerns is nothing more than a disguise for pushing liberal agendas. It's non-sense.

myfather15
myfather15 05/26/13 - 07:07 am
@specsta

"but the fact is that young teens contract more HIV/STD infections than any other age group."

Care to provide where you got this information? I'm guessing it's complete JUNK!!

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/26/13 - 07:23 am
GiantsAllDay - Anonymity in doubt

Back in 1972 When I was at Hephzibah HS we took one of the original CDC surveys. The students during homeroom period took the surveys and then passed then up to the student in front of them and so on to the top of the row. As per very clear and repeated teachers instructions.

One kid sitting sitting on the end row top seat was told to pick them up in order Row1, 2, 3 ,4, and 5.

He must of been pretty bright for a 10 grader. Because he turned a round and smiled at the class, so as not to let the teacher see. Dropped the neatly ordered surveys "accidentally" mixing them up and destroying the neat by row order that they WERE in.

☺☺☺☺☺ = ☺☻☺☻☺☺
☻☻☻☻☻ = ☻☺☻☺☺☻

The teacher went ballistic, and blamed the kid that he did it on purpose. Blah, blah, blah. To which the kid responded: "Its OK sir none of them got dirty, besides the order wasn't important... right?

There is more to this very true story, but you get the jest.

Its funny what you remember after 40+ years.

NOW OF DAYS
Order isn't important with bar coding.
Got my CMS survey in about 6 weeks ago.
They promise the same privacy also.
Been busy and haven't sent it in yet.
I have already had 2 reminders. Go figure?.
But I did note several neat bar codes on it and that funny I-scan sq. box

Anonymity is a really a Facade in this day and age.

An my government is the worst Gossip I have ever met.

myfather15
myfather15 05/26/13 - 07:24 am
@specsta

Ok, I did the research for you so you wouldn't be confused.

The ACTUAL age group that had the highest increase is the 20-24 year olds, which ARE NOT teenagers.

"In 2008, an estimated 22% of persons aged 13–24 living with diagnosed HIV infection were infected through hemophilia, blood transfusion, birth, or unknown transmission mode, with the majority being infected perinatally."

Wow, it seems the VAST majority of people with increased Aids infection are homosexuals. Don't believe me, read the link below from the CDC. BUT!!!! I would be willing to bet that they ARE NOT teaching children to not engage in immoral homosexual activities; only to "be careful and use protection". They wouldn't DARE touch the homosexual issue; that wouldn't be politically correct. I mean, we shouldn't denounce an immoral act which accounts for the vast majority of new AIDS infections, should we?

Quote from the CDC: "With regard to youth, HIV disproportionately affects young gay and bisexual men and young African Americans."

Is it possible that since these youth are engageing in a immoral act; that they also aren't being very responsible, while doing so? Hhhhmmmm, not there is food for thought. But, as LP's would say "Don't pay attention to that, just listen to me. People like that are just haters."

Since 70% of African American children are raised in a single parent home; could it be they aren't getting the structure they need? Oooooh, lets not talk about that; that wouldn't be poltically correct either.

Here; just read it for yourselves, if you care too actually get FACTS.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 05/26/13 - 07:50 am
Way To Go

myfather15. I just love those that get close to non-PC Facts.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/26/13 - 09:05 am
I thought it said we had to

I thought it said we had to participate in sex to get the money. I was wondering if they could extend the study to adults.

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/26/13 - 09:34 am
Bodhisattva - provided Liberal policy group link

One of the most important things I learned in College,
know the source of your facts and the agenda of the writer.

So I actually took the time to look up the SIECUS Group 1st, instead wasting brain cells on reading another political agenda focused media groups propaganda report.

I Google them and saw the causes they have supported and the left side groups that swear by them.

A look at the founders Wiki Bio.
Clearly shows the organization was founded on liberal ideas and continues as such.

Reverend William Genne - Homosexual marriage as far back 1960's
Unrepentant, Self-Affirming, Practicing: Lesbian/Bisexual/Gay People.

Founding Officer - Wallace Fulton - Pro-Homo-sexual and supported studies calling for sex education starting between 3 and 5 years old.

Other founders were pro M. O'hare .
In case you don't remember the name. Infamous Atheist person that fought to have prayer banned in schools.

If these people are representative of a political moral compass to some, then those accepting it, would fit into a slot for those called Left of Left Liberals.

Bodhisattva - thank you for the link.
When used properly it is an eye opener to agenda behind the study.

But it presents a serious growing moral problem for society by anyone just reading it, then buy into it for PC Reasons..

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 05/26/13 - 10:12 am
SeenB4: I am still among you.

SeenB4: I am still among you. Sure, I've been warned a few times and maybe you've noticed that I've toned it down a bit. I've been called all sorts of names and had my opinions ridiculed. But I have NEVER flagged a post for review. No one's posts have ever made me angry or hurt my feelings. It's just people's opinions; everyone has a right to them.

gargoyle
gargoyle 05/26/13 - 12:34 pm
The proponants have made the

The proponants have made the case that since the State of Georgia is socialy backward they are just in denial of federal money ear marked for health services.Not because of mismanagement or malfeases only that the state disagreed with a polling method therefore help that is needed for disease prevention should be witheld.It looks to me that agenda instead of compassion drives our gov. policies.