Longtime Augusta TV newsman Jim Davis dies, family friend confirms

Jim Davis, a longtime Augusta television personality, died Wednesday, a close friend of his family confirmed to The Augusta Chronicle.

Back | Next
From 1956 until his retirement, Jim Davis served as the news director for all three stations in Augusta. He died Wednesday.  FILE
FILE

Davis, 88, died at his home about 6:30 p.m., said Dottie Geiselman, who answered the phone at Davis’ house Wednesday night.

From 1956 until his retirement, Davis served as news director for all three stations in Augusta – WRDW (Channel 12), WJBF (Channel 6) and WAGT (Channel 26).

He came to Augusta to work for radio station WRDW but soon was doing television news broadcasts and commercials, according to Chronicle archives. He left broadcasting in 1982.

Davis served as master of ceremonies for the 1957 world premiere of The Three Faces of Eve at the Miller Theatre.

He helped mark the 50th anniversary of the premiere at a screening of the famous movie at the Imperial Theatre in 2007.

As a local anchorman, Davis covered President Eisenhower’s many visits to Augusta to play golf at Augusta National Golf Club.

Davis was a member of Reid Memorial Presbyterian Church where Eisenhower attended services during his trips.

In his retirement, Davis helped tell the history of Reid Memorial and its connection with Eisenhower. The president signed a photograph Davis took of him.

Davis served as vice president for marketing and public relations for Georgia Federal Bank after leaving broadcasting.

Comments (13)

my.voice
my.voice 05/22/13 - 11:39 pm

I can still hear his voice,

I can still hear his voice, you will be missed Mr Davis.

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/23/13 - 06:05 am

Jay Mann introduced me to him back in the late 70's

I still remember one of his news stories on the inability of the wheelchair bound to cross streets along Broad St., because there were no curb cuts or slopes. Not long later Augusta, and before, US ADA laws, took the hint and did so.

Augusta could use more like him in the NEWS business.
Because,his stories, content and broadcasts were trusted.

BTW: Whatever happen to Trooper Terry @ Ch 6.?

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 05/23/13 - 08:40 am

Terry Sams is alive and well...

Saw him not long ago. I am sure he will be on hand for Jim's services.

The last conversation I had with Jim Davis was on a topic too ironic to relate here...but it was a good one.

86 years is a great run...we should all be so lucky. RIP to an Augusta icon...one of two we lost yesterday.

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/23/13 - 09:16 am

Austin

We agree on something.

I hope WJBF puts together a 15-30 min video documentary on Jim and his work in the CSRA. He is a major part of Media History for Augusta.

I like to see the same from the AC with Al Ludwick in the paper.

Btw:
Austin - Are you old enough to remember the "Farmers Home Hour"?

So much of that Media history has been lost due the economics of operation and the cost of video tape that normally were erased for reuse.

Jake
Jake 05/23/13 - 09:56 am

CSRA broadcasting legends

Jim Davis was always a friendly and welcoming face when watching the news, no matter the story. May he rest in peace.

"Farmers Home Hour" used to wake me up at 6am on my alarm clock radio. Nothing like waking up to the sound of a rooster and Farmer Chambers.

Other than Trooper Terry (Terry Sams) and Bwana John (John Reddik) on WJBF, there used to be Capt Steamboat Bill on WRDW. I have always wondered who he was.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 05/23/13 - 10:13 am

Hate to say it...

There is virtually NO archive of the THOUSANDS of hours of Trooper Terry, as
it was originally broadcast. I believe ONE tape is all that remains.

Brad Means put together a piece on jim not too long ago...they were showing
bits and pieces of it last night. He did a sit down interview with John
Radick, Terry Sams, and Jim Davis...great stuff!

I sent a note this morning to the guy Jim hired that eventually replaced him
on the desk...Jeff Lawson. With any luck...I will talk to him soon.

Not sure if I was around to see the Farmer's Home Hour...I was born in
1965...and I have memories of Augusta TV from about 1967 (Dark
Shadows...Trooper Terry) and after.

Connor Threlkeld
Connor Threlkeld 05/23/13 - 10:27 am

Trooper Terry is still going

Trooper Terry is still going strong, he emcee'd the Savannah River Winds concert at Hopeland Gardens on Monday night. Want to see him tonight? He's scheduled to do the same thing at the SRW concert at the Kroc Center. $20/ticket as part of the Harry Jacobs Chamber Series. Not trying to plug the concert, just letting you know what he's doing recently and how you might be able to see him.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 05/23/13 - 10:55 am

Jim Davis

an icon in the Augusta community, he was one of the greatest. May he rest in peace and my deepest sympathy to those he left behind.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 05/23/13 - 10:59 am

Trooper Terry & (Bwana) John Radick

...had the best "pipes" in the history of the market.

John retired to Aiken and has been active in recent years as an artist.

Trivia nugget --- While working as a TV station General Manager in Helena, Montana...he took a chance giving a bright young lady her FIRST real job in TV news. She later got a job in Augusta. Her name is Laurie Ott !

rebellious
rebellious 05/23/13 - 11:14 pm

Pumped his gas

Back in the late 70's, Jim would stop at a service station I worked at. One day, he had some ridiculously large Watermelon on his front seat (we used to wash your windows back then). We got into a long conversation on the virtues of the melon, and best ways to eat (with or without salt, ring slice or wedges slice, spit or swallow seeds). An intrigueing man, for sure. Plus, that voice, WOW!

nancyq
nancyq 05/24/13 - 12:12 am

On Means Report of 10-29-11

We moved from August in 1981, but this interview brought back many memories. Our 53 year old son celebrated a birthday party on Trooper Terry's show. All these TV Personalities are still so familiar, even after all these years. Condolences to the Davis Family.

augustadog
augustadog 05/24/13 - 05:30 am

RIP Jim

I grew up with Jim Davis, Terry Sams and John Radeck.
I would love to have collection of the Tarzan Movies.

Gage Creed